MLB x NIKE [Outtakes: Alternate Color Schemes (Series Complete)]

MJD7

Great work on the Knights! You've done a solid job adapting one of the better MiLB identities. I love that throwback! 

This is just a random idea but how about adding sleeve numbers to the home, road and second alternates?

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like how you’ve upgraded the Knights’ set for major-league use! My one suggestion would be to create a “C” mark that matches the “Charlotte” wordmark a little more, if it’s possible. The Hornets-style uniform looks fantastic, with a unique take on baseball pinstripes. If you really want to push it over the top, I’d suggest using Rockwell Condensed Bold for the uniform font, to match the classic Hornets. Still, well done! 

On 7/28/2019 at 11:00 PM, Eastport76 said:

Knights looks great! The gold alternate is pretty unique. I'm excited for see the expansion teams! But I wanna see the Expos.

Thank you! Since I can probably afford to go more out of order with the expansion teams, I can post Montreal next!

On 7/29/2019 at 11:25 AM, coco1997 said:

Great work on the Knights! You've done a solid job adapting one of the better MiLB identities. I love that throwback! 

This is just a random idea but how about adding sleeve numbers to the home, road and second alternates?

Thank you! At first I was really hesitant about adding sleeve numbers, but seeing that there is a lot of empty space and the Knights have no logos that would work well as patches, the sleeve #s were a good idea to set them apart from other teams in the league. I've added them to the uniforms you suggested in the original post.

On 7/29/2019 at 1:27 PM, ItsSlothy said:

How ‘bout Portland or Montreal next, eh?

spacer.png

Your wish is granted! I'll post the Expos soon.

On 7/29/2019 at 3:04 PM, SFGiants58 said:

I like how you’ve upgraded the Knights’ set for major-league use! My one suggestion would be to create a “C” mark that matches the “Charlotte” wordmark a little more, if it’s possible. The Hornets-style uniform looks fantastic, with a unique take on baseball pinstripes. If you really want to push it over the top, I’d suggest using Rockwell Condensed Bold for the uniform font, to match the classic Hornets. Still, well done! 

Thanks! I tried making a "C" out of the "G" in "Knights" (since it's better centered than the "C" in the away wordmark) but it just didn't look right, as it forced the knight logo to be off-centered. Also, as with other teams, I wanted to keep the font on the fauxbacks consistent in order to stay with the main brand.

23 hours ago, Eastport76 said:

Also, What about Nashville?

Nashville Sounds is one of minor baseball's successful teams and I wonder the Sounds looks like If they joined MLB? Yes, Nashville is a another possible expansion site.

This is just a hunch, but I don't think you'll have to worry to much about Nashville being one of the expansion teams. 😉

Moving on in expansion with the much-beloved Expos!

RsqY40i.pngbceEHbA.pngUX1Xpta.pngSITAbnB.png29maklG.pngYfMBrZd.png

Since Montreal would be another red & blue team, I decided to do an alternate take. For me, this one was pretty obvious: I decided to go for navy & columbia blue, to sort of test out what it would be like if the Rays actually moved there. . .

9RPZi7v.pngk8MdIX0.pnggHsAgZw.pngpRVpf06.png

I'd love to hear what you all think about Montreal!

On 7/30/2019 at 7:28 PM, QueenCitySwarm said:

Charlotte and Montreal look great! It seems a little weird to me that you wouldn't use the classic logo on the throwback, but the set looks wonderful!

Thank you! Yea, I actually almost used the classic logo for the entire Montreal set, but decided against it to try something new. The reason I didn’t use it on the fauxback is because I wanted to keep the set cohesive, it’s meant to call back to the classic set without being a direct copy.

On 7/30/2019 at 8:48 PM, coco1997 said:

I'm surprised by how much I like the Expos in navy and columbia blue. In an alternate dimension where the Rays use a different color scheme, I'd be totally fine with the resurrected Expos in these colors. 

Thanks, yea I think it’d be a nice scheme for them to adopt should the Rays relocate there. 

This next expansion team might come as a bit of a surprise, and has virtually no possibility of actually happening (just because of the traveling troubles alone). But after having the fortune of being able to study here for a couple months, and after the Yankees playing the Red Sox here across the pond, I present to you, the London Lions!

iLUIcFw.png8M4s9hu.pngShCmSnP.png13R72U4.pngJHmsiSu.png6SdOxb5.pngvux3Cg2.png

• The style of the main set takes clear inspiration from the White Sox' 80's set, which I think would work well in a modern context. It's also inspired by the  iconic London Public Transport Branding.
  • The main font is the Georgia Bulldogs' font, which is similar to the Yankees' "New Ground" portion of the London Series branding.
  • The colors are inspired by the buildings around London, as well as the iconic double-decker buses and royal guard. The dark bluish gray I used is from @SFGiants58's recent and wonderful Washington Grays set.
  • The BP is inspired by those same royal guard uniforms, and the throwback, although it couldn't be inspired by any set directly, tries to take on a 1940's aesthetic while staying cohesive with the main branding.
  • If the team decided to wear either of their alternates on the road, I imagine they could wear dark gray pants and it could look pretty good. Let me know if any of you would like to see that.
  • Much like the Blue Jays have a Canada alternate, I figure the Lions would decide to have a UK jersey, complete with a colorway and style inspired by the famous Union Jack flag. The lion logo used throughout the set is taken from Team Great Britain's Olympic logo, I love it too much not to use it.

Although it would never realistically happen, it'd be lovely to hear what you all think about my take on MLB across the pond!

7 hours ago, heavybassX said:

This can work realistically if you put the Lions with teams that are in the east coast time zone.... say New York/Boston/Miami

But this isn’t the NFL where they have a week to travel and it still is an issue, and that you might not play any west coast teams a year, in the MLB you travel all the time, every 3-10 days. Also, every team plays every team in their league. If London was in the AL, they would make 1-2 trips to Los Angeles, Oakland, Seattle. 

7 minutes ago, heavybassX said:

Neutral location solves that problem.

Teams wouldn’t be happy about losing home games to help out a London team. Also, the Red Sox and Yankees had 3 days off to travel and reds before the game and 2 days off to get back, so with that amount of off days, the mlb would have an mlb season that lasts about 1 year, which obviously wouldn’t work. Also, I like the Lions look! For my guess as to what the other expansions are, Mexico City, Nashville, San Antonio or Austin, Memphis, Portland, Indianapolis?

3 minutes ago, JG36 said:

Teams wouldn’t be happy about losing home games to help out a London team. Also, the Red Sox and Yankees had 3 days off to travel and reds before the game and 2 days off to get back, so with that amount of off days, the mlb would have an mlb season that lasts about 1 year, which obviously wouldn’t work. Also, I like the Lions look! For my guess as to what the other expansions are, Mexico City, Nashville, San Antonio or Austin, Memphis, Portland, Indianapolis?

Not for MLB teams no, I mean a neutral location in a place that doesn't have baseball normally... like Louisville or Charlotte heck Jacksonville.

19 minutes ago, heavybassX said:

Not for MLB teams no, I mean a neutral location in a place that doesn't have baseball normally... like Louisville or Charlotte heck Jacksonville.

Like when an MLB team has a road game in London they play it a the neutral site? Then there isn’t a London team at all.

On 8/2/2019 at 6:07 AM, heavybassX said:

This can work realistically if you put the Lions with teams that are in the east coast time zone.... say New York/Boston/Miami

18 hours ago, JG36 said:

But this isn’t the NFL where they have a week to travel and it still is an issue, and that you might not play any west coast teams a year, in the MLB you travel all the time, every 3-10 days. Also, every team plays every team in their league. If London was in the AL, they would make 1-2 trips to Los Angeles, Oakland, Seattle. 

18 hours ago, heavybassX said:

Neutral location solves that problem.

18 hours ago, JG36 said:

18 hours ago, heavybassX said:

17 hours ago, JG36 said:

Like when an MLB team has a road game in London they play it a the neutral site? Then there isn’t a London team at all.

Regardless of whether the prospect of a team in London is realistic, this was just for fun.

17 hours ago, BellaSpurs said:

I don’t think the White Sox inspired look fits a team in London called the Lions, I expect something more classy and baseball-y, I love the name and logo though, just disappointed with the uniforms unfortunately 

What would you like to see out of a uniform more “classy and baseball-y?” I’ll admit I personally disagree and think that the look does fit a team in London, and will probably keep the set the way it is. I’d be happy to mock up something closer to what you’re envisioning though, if you could give me some more specifics.

17 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Realistic or not, I really like this concept! The colors and overall design fit a team based in London. 

Thanks! I appreciate it. I knew I wanted to use the 80’s SOX design somewhere in this series, and this fit pretty perfectly.

Archived