MLB x NIKE [Outtakes: Alternate Color Schemes (Series Complete)]

MJD7

HUGE upgrade on your red-orange-black design!  Now that I've seen what you did with the Titans colors, I would make them a sky blue and red team, and only use navy as a trim color where necessary.

I don't hate the old wordmark per se.  I'm a huge mark for vintage neon, but the original colors did an absolutely horrid job of executing it to its full potential.  Less is definitely more with something that complex.

Sounds1-sm.png

This I can see working across the board no matter what color jersey you applied it to.  Even white or gray.

That said, the new set definitely looks more like something a big league team would use.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Oh man, the new scripts look great. Definitely the way to go.

I wonder how that set would look in the Titans color scheme. 

Maybe model one of the alts on this design?

22 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Bats: I really like how you've handled their set, especially with the purple/red color scheme! The striping is an inventive look, which I enjoy. The purple/metallic gold is also a strong look, but I don't like it as much as purple/red. I'd say the updates fixed my complaints with it. Well done!

Sounds: Like NicDB, I'm not that big a fan of the previous wordmark designs. They've always felt "overdesigned" to me, with way too much going on. I suppose you could strip the wordmarks down to their primary layer and re-do the outlining (the same applies for the numerals) to get it looking less busy, like what you did with the new wordmarks. Using the current designs for the update was a fantastic choice, as they are far cleaner and more "major league" than the originals. The drop shadow and guitar string stripes, which I do enjoy, are enough for them to be considered a "modern" team. 

I am curious as to how the new scripts would translate into the powder/navy/red or the navy/yellow/white designs, as well as the possibility of incorporating the guitar stripes into the socks. Still, you've done fantastic work!

57 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

Yeah, I’d say stick with the new scripts. I have really warmed up to using the Titans colors, though.

Thank you both very much! I can definitely see how the previous wordmarks are seen as "overdesigned." as they're really hard to get right as far as coloring goes. I've struggled with that myself, but I'll have one last shot at it further blow. Here's a look at the Titans colors with the newer wordmarks for you both though, with the columbia alternate inspired by @coco1997's suggestion:

w4epEOs.pngsikHvlk.pngHDbO6iu.png0TjPuIZ.pngK9kxH6M.png

The fauxback would be the same columbia & red design from before.

1 hour ago, NicDB said:

HUGE upgrade on your red-orange-black design!  Now that I've seen what you did with the Titans colors, I would make them a sky blue and red team, and only use navy as a trim color where necessary.

I don't hate the old wordmark per se.  I'm a huge mark for vintage neon, but the original colors did an absolutely horrid job of executing it to its full potential.  Less is definitely more with something that complex.

Sounds1-sm.png

This I can see working across the board no matter what color jersey you applied it to.  Even white or gray.

That said, the new set definitely looks more like something a big league team would use.

Thanks! I love sky blue & red as a color combo, it is difficult to balance the colors though when considering adding in a gray road uniform, I did my best however, here's a look:

dvMKFmz.pngFrPCb33.pngyiFV2ji.pngLqz88xV.png

I tried doing a Rangers-style distribution where red & sky blue are co-equal in primary status. If this doesn't work, I'd probably want to make red the primary color.

Lastly, I wanted to try to salvage the older wordmarks with one last set, one that harkens back more to the real-life set. I'll admit it probably wasn't the best decision to pair red with orange, as even though the colors don't touch often in the wordmark, at the points they do they sort of act to muddle up the script and make it less readable. With this version, I decided to replace orange with the original gray, and leave the set mostly black & red.

CCcxfe5.pngqrpE7dg.pngXyl2qHD.pngEWAJw4H.pngo4i7q28.pngRb9jb5v.png

For the throwback, replacing orange I decided to opt for the lighter, more golden shade used in the Sounds' old primary logo.

Apologies for the barrage of options over the past few days, the Sounds have a lot of different possible directions that I think could all work. Your feedback has been great though!

I'd definitely go with the newer scripts, and I'd also remove the guitar pick from the cap logo, it clutters it up and a lot of the time its colored grey, which doesn't fit when you can't find grey anywhere else in the set. The red and grey and black set might be my favorite of the bunch. Its unused in the MLB landscape, what would it look like with the newer scripts.

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

On 8/18/2019 at 9:38 PM, coco1997 said:

While I really like the Titans-inspired set with the new scripts, I’d make the script on the home (and possibly road) set red with a light blue drop shadow.

While I understand where you're going with that idea, I really made an effort to not make the Sounds another navy & red team. I know the wordmark wouldn't necessarily represent the entire set, but I'm not sure if the rest would match well enough to the predominantly red scripts.

On 8/18/2019 at 9:47 PM, BellaSpurs said:

I'd definitely go with the newer scripts, and I'd also remove the guitar pick from the cap logo, it clutters it up and a lot of the time its colored grey, which doesn't fit when you can't find grey anywhere else in the set. The red and grey and black set might be my favorite of the bunch. Its unused in the MLB landscape, what would it look like with the newer scripts.

If I go with the newer scripts, I wouldn't really see much point in using gray, since it doesn't add to the wordmarks quite as much. Here's a look at black & red though.

MnV9QSE.pngCaQLH17.pngSU7b55u.pngajAeKtU.png

On 8/20/2019 at 10:00 PM, BellaSpurs said:

Yeah, wow, that sounds set might be one of your best, gorgeous 

15 hours ago, coco1997 said:

I find myself really liking that latest black & red set with the new scripts. The alts in particular look fantastic!

Thank you both very much! I like how the alts turned out as well. This set would be a pretty nice compromise of all the suggestions, while still giving the Sounds a cohesive & unique brand.

Now we have the next expansion team, in New Orleans!

VU9TM7n.pngidpTEW0.pngQ66kSzR.pngmCQN6NH.pngZ5pxwdQ.png

C+C is appreciated as always! Thanks for taking a look.

I’m not really feeling the zephyrs wordmark.... something about the arch seems weird.

spacer.pngspacer.png

Im an isles,rangers,devils,Sabres,Yankees,Mets,Braves,hawks,knicks,nets,bills,giants,falcons,and jets fan. So?

On 8/23/2019 at 1:55 PM, Eastport76 said:

Gosh, that's so beautiful. Their current wordmarks really suits with red and black. Also I loved the set with current wordmarks and Titans colours. Also, Great work at Zephyrs/Pelicans!

On 8/23/2019 at 6:27 PM, coco1997 said:

Great work! I don’t think I’d change a thing.

21 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

The latest Sounds update looks perfect! Nice work.

It’s been wonderful to see your Zephyrs concept evolve to this point. It’s gotten cleaner and uses the purple/green/yellow color way in an excellent fashion. Well done!

19 hours ago, Yee Yee Go 'Stros! said:

Almost everything here looks great!  I know i’m a bit late (a few months, actually), but WHY DON’T THE ASTROS WEAR THOSE UNIFORMS?!  Your Houston concept is absolutely gorgeous!

Thank you all! These sets have been very fun to create & watch develop.

Since we are in the middle of Players Weekend, even though the designs are pretty much universally regarded as atrocious I decided to try and salvage of them what I could, albeit for a different event. Since the Dodgers are hosting the All-Star Game next year, I decided to try making them the All-Star Game uniforms. It would work out slightly better being only one game of AL vs. NL, and since it's just an exhibition it wouldn't really matter if the pitchers wear white caps.

For the uniforms, the NL would receive the home white, and the AL the away black. Shiny gold replaces light gray as the trim color of the uniforms, as it's one of the few colors that could possibly work on both a white & a black background (unlike the light gray that MLB tried). It creates what could be dubbed as a "California Sun" versus "Hollywood Nights" type of matchup, befitting the LA area. The socks are striped, inspired by the Dodgers own socks and the Players Weekend socks, one slightly redeeming factor of the event. Here's a look:

tiKIRdd.pngGLRpmdR.pngpMdIE0R.pngFZoYITf.png

Now, don't get me wrong, I would not endorse this happening in the slightest, I just figured I'd try to save what was a lost attempt on MLB's part. Let me know if you think I managed to redeem it at all, or if you'd like to see your team in this 2020 ASG outfit.

I like it! One idea I had along similar lines to yours is to was to have one league in black and the other in white, but the trim color and outlines would be specific to each team. Padres would be brown, A’s Kelly green, White Sox silver, etc. 

On 8/24/2019 at 7:16 PM, coco1997 said:

I like it! One idea I had along similar lines to yours is to was to have one league in black and the other in white, but the trim color and outlines would be specific to each team. Padres would be brown, A’s Kelly green, White Sox silver, etc. 

21 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

You've done a good job in trying to make the best of a bad situation, but I'd rather obviate the bad situation. I think @coco1997 had the better idea, with the "key" color.

Thanks! I agree, it’s not the best situation, and should have never even had to happen. While I like the idea of each team having its own trim color, at that point I think it’d be better to just stay with the white vs. gray regular uniforms (which is the best option anyway).

Archived