MLB x NIKE [Outtakes: Alternate Color Schemes (Series Complete)]

MJD7

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Astros: I really like how you’ve incorporated the Tequila Sunrise stripes the side panels, using navy as a contrasting color, and both BP designs. Well done.

Angels: It’s good to see the shoulder stripes back in action. I prefer your second take to the first one, as it has a better color balance. My suggestion for the main set would be to inject a little navy into the stripes. Other than that, good work man!

On 4/19/2019 at 10:03 AM, Carolingian Steamroller said:

I like the darker red/lighter blue version personally. It has a vibe like you've combined UCLA and USC into a single set. Did you try using the gold lettering on the powder blue set too? If it didn't come out right, that's cool, just wondering if that was an early experiment. 

Yes, that was definitely part of the inspiration in making the alternate take. I was originally planning to go with gold lettering on the periwinkle set, it just didn’t work for me. The set needed to have darker letters to contrast with the periwinkle background, I felt.

On 4/19/2019 at 3:53 PM, coco1997 said:

I think I actually prefer the alternate take for the Angels. The darker red contrasts better with the gold. 

Also, I wanted to specifically point out that the BP top is really sharp!

I probably prefer the alternate take as well, this was the one set that actually came about before the main version. I just regulated it to the alternate take to make sure all of the red & navy teams kept their color schemes, while still looking different from each other.

On 4/19/2019 at 4:09 PM, SFGiants58 said:

Astros: I really like how you’ve incorporated the Tequila Sunrise stripes the side panels, using navy as a contrasting color, and both BP designs. Well done.

Angels: It’s good to see the shoulder stripes back in action. I prefer your second take to the first one, as it has a better color balance. My suggestion for the main set would be to inject a little navy into the stripes. Other than that, good work man!

Thanks! I originally tried having navy between the red & gold on the stripes, but it just didn’t look right to me.

3 hours ago, Victormrey said:

I've never been a fan of the Astros using orange as main colour, but you just changed my mind! Great job as well with the Angels and the outtakes 👌🏻

I appreciate it! I think this set could have worked with a primarily navy base as well, but I knew I wanted to have at least one team with orange as the primary color.

Apologies for the bit of delay, but moving on we have the Oakland Athletics!

0DScM7X.pngWl5wAJL.pngLR7aReK.pngSIQPM6k.png1rIYAsS.pngexafoAR.png

• This set is pretty straightforward, as has been the case with many A's concepts in recent years, kelly takes the place of forest green. It looks great on their alternate jersey, and deserves some time back in the spotlight. The Northwestern sleeve stripes from the 70's are simplified a little bit to create a cleaner look that matches the line weights of the logo.
  • Like @csura999 did with his excellent A's set, the away has a slight green tint to it.
  • The number font is Nike's Futura font, which matches quite well with the letters in the A's primary logo.
  • The BP cap is inspired by the white caps A's coaches would wear throughout the years. The Turn Back the Clock design stays quite reserved, inspired by the 70's home uniform, a design I knew I couldn't omit from this set.

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated as always.

On 4/25/2019 at 3:37 PM, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Simple, clean, classic approach to the A's. 

Love the number font especially. Good use of the thick striping on the sleeve. 

Thanks! That was absolutely the goal going in.

On 4/25/2019 at 4:15 PM, coco1997 said:

Love that number font!

For the throwback, how about going with a sleeveless design? It’s the same basic look as the one you used, but the vest style would set it apart from the other sets a bit more.

Keep up the great work!

Thank you! For the throwback, I thought about going with the sleeveless design, but there's a specific reason I decided not to, as you will see later on in the series. I kind of like how it acts as sort of an alternative home look, sort of like the Giants do with their two gray road jerseys.

The Mariners should be up tomorrow!

Now here are the Mariners!

IKLrXUA.pngnqCQnwk.png9TdFMkK.pngdEKd1uG.pngNFeFS76.png4O9GHuz.pngZClUfMp.png

• As is the case with most Mariners concepts, teal takes a greater priority within the color scheme. The teal-billed hat is the primary, and I also lightened up the digital version of the shade to better match the color in real life.
  • Although I didn't love the update the Mariners made in 2015 in separating the navy & teal in their wordmarks, I admit it did make the teal pop a little more which I liked. Because of that, I decided to run with that element in this set, where the sleeve & pants stripes (inspired by the sock pattern) also take cues from that design choice.
  • The away has a navy blue tint to it, the navy alternate would be worn with a white cap while at home (inspired by this fauxback cap), and a teal cap option is also added as a Friday home alt option.
  • The Turn Back the Clock uniform is based on the heritage white alt uniform, which is based on the Seattle Pilots' original uniforms.

I'd love to hear what you all think, any comments or criticisms are appreciated.

49 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

Now here are the Mariners!

IKLrXUA.pngnqCQnwk.png9TdFMkK.pngdEKd1uG.pngNFeFS76.png4O9GHuz.pngroG4Mo8.png

• As is the case with most Mariners concepts, teal takes a greater priority within the color scheme. The teal-billed hat is the primary, and I also lightened up the digital version of the shade to better match the color in real life.
  • Although I didn't love the update the Mariners made in 2015 in separating the navy & teal in their wordmarks, I admit it did make the teal pop a little more which I liked. Because of that, I decided to run with that element in this set, where the sleeve & pants stripes (inspired by the sock pattern) also take cues from that design choice.
  • The away has a navy blue tint to it, the navy alternate would be worn with a white cap while at home (inspired by this fauxback cap), and a teal cap option is also added as a Friday home alt option.
  • The Turn Back the Clock uniform is based on the heritage white alt uniform, which is based on the Seattle Pilots' original uniforms.

I'd love to hear what you all think, any comments or criticisms are appreciated.

Jury isn't decided on those white hats , but those throwback/fauxbacks are beautiful!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

I'm usually not a fan of white crowned caps, but it works really well here! The brighter teal is always a plus, and the slightly powder-blue road set is very effective. 

My one small nitpick would be to make the cap bill on the BP navy for some better color balance. That aside, great work!

On 4/29/2019 at 1:40 PM, bkknight95 said:

Jury isn't decided on those white hats , but those throwback/fauxbacks are beautiful!

Thanks! I just don't like how the navy hat looks with the navy alt at home, the look just felt a little too drab to me. The navy hat would be worn on the road with the alt though, here's how it would look:

K6g4JA1.png

On 4/29/2019 at 5:28 PM, coco1997 said:

I'm usually not a fan of white crowned caps, but it works really well here! The brighter teal is always a plus, and the slightly powder-blue road set is very effective. 

My one small nitpick would be to make the cap bill on the BP navy for some better color balance. That aside, great work!

Thanks! I definitely intended to go all-out on the teal with the BP uniform, as that's something that would only work in Spring Training.

On 4/29/2019 at 6:01 PM, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Great decision eliminating the silver. I wouldn't have thought to go with the negative space between the colors but it looks terrific. I can definitely see the M's going in this direction.

Thank you, yea I forgot to mention eliminating silver, but I think it was a necessary change so that it wouldn't blend with the teal.

5 hours ago, Victormrey said:

I love what you've done for the Mariners! Solid work.

Thank you! I tried my best to do your team justice!

Finishing up the American League with the Texas Rangers!

3AO3USQ.png7Dwxitn.pngZEzWmOh.pngkJd15Vs.pngl5514au.png

• The classic royal/red color scheme stays, a blue cap with a red brim becomes the primary to create a look that is distinctively Rangers.
  • Like in my Redesigns series, the "Rangers" star patch is on the chest of every main jersey, acting as a badge of sorts.
  • The away has a dusty tint to the gray, matching the color of the shading in the badge logo.
  • The striping pattern and socks take inspiration from the Texas flag.
  • The Turn Back the Clock uniform takes inspiration from the 1984 red alternate uniform.

For the alternate take, I wanted to go with a color scheme that I absolutely love for the Rangers: slate blue and brick red, inspired by @SFGiants58's scheme for them in his Project 32 series. Thanks for allowing me to use it. Off-white & sand take the place of white & gray for the home & away uniforms, but everything else stays basically the same, beyond color distributions and a new brick red alternate.

4oBgBZV.pngkhfE767.pngbFqtwSK.pngV7lImcb.png

Tell me what you think about the Rangers, and the American League in general, since we've reached the halfway point of the series! Thanks for following.

A’s: I really like the new number/NOB font, as well as the new striping and Kelly Green. I would like to find a way to incorporate the elephant design on the sleeve or as an alternate cap. That’s my only complaint about the set. Well made!

Mariners: Separating the brighter teal and navy was a good decision, as was incorporating the display font numbers. The tinted road uniform was also a solid decision. I’m good with both the white-crowned and regular variants of the navy jersey.  My one issue is that teal and navy should remain separate on the alternates/caps, but that’s a minor tweak. Good work!

Rangers: You’ve really done a fantastic job with building upon your previous designs. I do like your sock stripes and the BP design. The slate/brick set is top-notch ( @Lights Out originated it, AFAIK), especially for the road uniforms and alternates!

On 5/2/2019 at 2:22 PM, coco1997 said:

Great work on the Rangers! Those sock stripes are on point. 

I've really come to love that color scheme @SFGiants58 came up with and it looks fantastic here, too. 

Thanks!

On 5/2/2019 at 10:31 PM, SFGiants58 said:

A’s: I really like the new number/NOB font, as well as the new striping and Kelly Green. I would like to find a way to incorporate the elephant design on the sleeve or as an alternate cap. That’s my only complaint about the set. Well made!

Mariners: Separating the brighter teal and navy was a good decision, as was incorporating the display font numbers. The tinted road uniform was also a solid decision. I’m good with both the white-crowned and regular variants of the navy jersey.  My one issue is that teal and navy should remain separate on the alternates/caps, but that’s a minor tweak. Good work!

Rangers: You’ve really done a fantastic job with building upon your previous designs. I do like your sock stripes and the BP design. The slate/brick set is top-notch ( @Lights Out originated it, AFAIK), especially for the road uniforms and alternates!

Thank you! For the A's, you're right about the elephant design, I do love that logo. I didn't add it on originally because I didn't think it'd fit with the large sleeve stripes. However, I updated the post above, and I think it looks quite good! I changed the BP cap to be the elephant logo as well.

As for the Mariners, my ideal set would probably have an Orioles-style color distribution with the navy and teal, as you have done yourself before. I'm just not sure with the iteration I have presented how I would go about the sleeve stripes in trying to separate the navy & teal.

Archived