MLB x NIKE [Outtakes: Alternate Color Schemes (Series Complete)]

MJD7

After taking a little bit of a break, we start off the National League today with the Atlanta Braves!

btKsX8Y.pngglk5dys.png5USPYZk.pngwkDCati.pngmaqg3Ac.pngQkMMl9O.png

• I attempted to make a more streamlined version of the Braves’ current set, one that fits more with a 2010’s aesthetic. The headspoon striping is removed, and the tomahawk is removed to make way for the return of the feather sleeves, which I feel could fit really well within the modern Braves’ identity. A little splash of yellow is added into the feather to make up for its departure with the tomahawk.
  • Using the recently updated scripts, I added a white outline on the road jersey to balance out with the use of white in the feathers. The navy alternate has white letters with navy & red outlines, so it better matches the cap logo while still keeping a splash of red in there.
  • The sock stripes are an inverse of the classic Braves’ stripes that has seemed to make a comeback this year, which is great to see.
  • The Turn Back the Clock set is a modern take on the 70’s Hank Aaron uniforms. The navy & red do not touch anywhere throughout the set.

The alternate color scheme was a pretty easy choice: navy is replaced by black to create a very “Atlanta” color scheme.

puzcX5E.pngYTlNVw6.pngywooICX.pngjcV517X.png

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated, as always.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/11/2019 at 4:16 PM, Paul Lucas said:

Beautiful Braves set and excellent work throughout.

On 5/13/2019 at 10:47 AM, coco1997 said:

Nice work! This is pretty much exactly what I'd do with the Braves. 

Thank you both! 

Moving on with the Miami Marlins!

iksRAD4.pngCXw1VoX.pngeMG29sN.png8t1OWxl.pngcZzk3ee.pngnSy6hSM.png

• Overall, I like the direction the Marlins tried to go in with this new redesign, I just think they ended up going a little too conservative. The main set has bright blue & black as the primary colors, with pink taking the place of caliente red as the accent. The colors on the wordmarks and stripes are redistributed to highlight their gorgeous bright blue color.
  • The blue and pink are separated by black so they don't blend. The dropshadow becomes an extra outline, to make the wordmark look more like a neon sign like they were going for. The marlin finds its way back into the wordmarks.
  • The mismatching squatchtee and brim is a modern touch that would be unique to the Marlins.
  • The home has a white front-panel cap option to add to the 80's vibe of the look, and the away has a blue cap with a black brim, inspired by the original Florida Marlins road uniform.
  • The blue jersey becomes a full-time (mostly home) alternate, and the black alternate has the unreadable wordmark replaced by the bold "M" logo. The cap options on the home uniforms could be somewhat interchangeable.
  • The BP uniform embraces the pink, and the Turn Back the Clock uniform takes its inspiration from the 1950's Miami Marlins uniforms, complete with the marlin on the sleeve. If the team's Spring Training opponent wears a clashing color such as red, they would wear the blue jersey with the throwback cap and pink accents.

I'd love to hear what you think!

YESS YESS YESS! The only thing: combine the Florida logo somehow with the throwback ,

spacer.pngspacer.png

Im an isles,rangers,devils,Sabres,Yankees,Mets,Braves,hawks,knicks,nets,bills,giants,falcons,and jets fan. So?

A million times yes! I think you made the best use of the Marlins’ new colors and logos possible. The fauxback is good enough to be the main home set.

For a fauxback option I’d like to see the current design in teal and black, or if possible, blue, orange and cream like the original 1950s Miami Marlins.

Keep up the great work!

On 5/11/2019 at 11:04 AM, MJD7 said:

After taking a little bit of a break, we start off the National League today with the Atlanta Braves!

btKsX8Y.pngglk5dys.png5USPYZk.pngwkDCati.pngmaqg3Ac.pngQkMMl9O.png

• I attempted to make a more streamlined version of the Braves’ current set, one that fits more with a 2010’s aesthetic. The headspoon striping is removed, and the tomahawk is removed to make way for the return of the feather sleeves, which I feel could fit really well within the modern Braves’ identity. A little splash of yellow is added into the feather to make up for its departure with the tomahawk.
  • Using the recently updated scripts, I added a white outline on the road jersey to balance out with the use of white in the feathers. The navy alternate has white letters with navy & red outlines, so it better matches the cap logo while still keeping a splash of red in there.
  • The sock stripes are an inverse of the classic Braves’ stripes that has seemed to make a comeback this year, which is great to see.
  • The Turn Back the Clock set is a modern take on the 70’s Hank Aaron uniforms. The navy & red do not touch anywhere throughout the set.

The alternate color scheme was a pretty easy choice: navy is replaced by black to create a very “Atlanta” color scheme.

puzcX5E.pngYTlNVw6.pngywooICX.pngjcV517X.png

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated, as always.

Your graphic design capabilities are clearly fantastic, and all of your concepts have been really well done. Nevertheless, I really, really don't like the removal of the tomahawk. The tomahawk is just such a sharp addition to the Braves jersey and is so engrained with the fanbase that I'd have a hard time seeing it go.

St. Joseph of Arimathea, Pray for Us

"Now when the centurion, and they that were with him, watching Jesus, saw the earthquake, and those things that were done, they feared greatly, saying, Truly this was the Son of God." Mt 27:54

On 5/17/2019 at 8:09 AM, Blindsay said:

YESS YESS YESS! The only thing: combine the Florida logo somehow with the throwback ,

On 5/17/2019 at 10:20 AM, BellaSpurs said:

Would love to see a fauxback mix of the road arched Florida script and modern day colors and font, you could also throw in the f logo on the cap but with the new marlin instead of the old

Thanks. The only thing is I would like to keep the team more Miami focused, since the Rays are also in Florida.

On 5/17/2019 at 10:33 AM, coco1997 said:

A million times yes! I think you made the best use of the Marlins’ new colors and logos possible. The fauxback is good enough to be the main home set.

For a fauxback option I’d like to see the current design in teal and black, or if possible, blue, orange and cream like the original 1950s Miami Marlins.

Keep up the great work!

Thank you very much!

Since I imagine the Turn Back the Clock options could change every so often, here's a look at a teal & black and a 1950's fauxback! To avoid being too close to the Mets, I adjusted the shades of the blue & orange.

0juYxeE.pngd6iN4vT.png

On 5/17/2019 at 2:45 PM, jshmiami96 said:

Your graphic design capabilities are clearly fantastic, and all of your concepts have been really well done. Nevertheless, I really, really don't like the removal of the tomahawk. The tomahawk is just such a sharp addition to the Braves jersey and is so engrained with the fanbase that I'd have a hard time seeing it go.

Thank you. I decided to remove the tomahawk in favor of the feather mostly because I think the feather fits better with the roundness & curves of the Braves' wordmarks, the tomahawk comes off as more-so of a 90's-00's design. I think the feather helps bring the identity into a more modern, minimalistic style.

On 5/18/2019 at 10:26 AM, Paul Lucas said:

That Marlins set.....wow!!!👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼🙌🏼

Thanks!

Hit the nail right on the head with this one my friend.

spacer.pngspacer.png

Im an isles,rangers,devils,Sabres,Yankees,Mets,Braves,hawks,knicks,nets,bills,giants,falcons,and jets fan. So?

Next up we have the New York Mets!

0Auw5DT.pngUEpVN4K.png4JW5SOp.pngUXxlbxe.png2W825Ns.png

• The main set is based off of the Mets' 1980's racing stripes look, which is to me their most iconic look to date. The away wordmark is based off of @SFGiants58's fix-up of the 1987 style script, thanks to him for allowing me to use it. The away also has a slight royal blue tint to it.
  • The alternate is based off of the Mets' 80's BP uniform.
  • The BP uniform is based off of @bkknight95's Mets alternate in his MLB by NIKE series, which I loved.
  • Since the main set is basically a fauxback in itself, the Mets go more traditional with their Turn Back the Clock uniform, going with the classic pinstripes, possibly as a Sunday home alt uniform.

Any comments/criticisms would be amazing!

Atlanta: I like the simplified style and the fauxback, but I’m not keen on the inverted sock stripes. It’s too much white for the design. The black is a good recoloration, but I would recommend injecting a touch of yellow-gold accents.

Marlins: I really like what you’ve done with the current set, with a more colorful distribution and the new number font. The faux backs are particularly good! However, I’d suggest removing the marlin from the wordmark and cap, for a cleaner design. Also, using the full “Marlins” script on the home uniform and the faux backs would be welcome.

Mets: I really don’t like the racing stripes for the Mets. It’s a little “too 1980s” for the team. I would prefer simple placket trim (kind of like how the Dodgers used to do on their road uniforms) or a more complex 1930s Giants-style design. If you want to have the racing stripes, maybe have them on the blue jersey to differentiate them from the Cubs?

I like the new number font, for a slightly different touch. I’m sorry that I’m not as bullish on this design, but the racing stripes just don’t “jive” with the Mets for me.

10 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

How did you choose the number font? It looks great!

Ah, I forgot to mention that, thanks! The number font is Bahnschrift SemiBold Condensed, I chose it because it had even line weights, similar to the Mets' "NY" logo, and fit well with the tall, cursive wordmarks. I also forgot to mention that I fixed the error of the little notch in the middle of the Mets' "M" that has been brought up by @Gothamite in the past.

10 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Atlanta: I like the simplified style and the fauxback, but I’m not keen on the inverted sock stripes. It’s too much white for the design. The black is a good recoloration, but I would recommend injecting a touch of yellow-gold accents.

Marlins: I really like what you’ve done with the current set, with a more colorful distribution and the new number font. The faux backs are particularly good! However, I’d suggest removing the marlin from the wordmark and cap, for a cleaner design. Also, using the full “Marlins” script on the home uniform and the faux backs would be welcome.

Mets: I really don’t like the racing stripes for the Mets. It’s a little “too 1980s” for the team. I would prefer simple placket trim (kind of like how the Dodgers used to do on their road uniforms) or a more complex 1930s Giants-style design. If you want to have the racing stripes, maybe have them on the blue jersey to differentiate them from the Cubs?

I like the new number font, for a slightly different touch. I’m sorry that I’m not as bullish on this design, but the racing stripes just don’t “jive” with the Mets for me.

Thank you for the analysis and suggestions! I'll go through them team by team:

For Atlanta, I totally get where you're coming from with the inverted sock stripes. The reason why I went with a white-heavy design is because it matches the color distribution of the feather on the sleeve, as you can see here:

Jc30zfz.png

Do you think I should still go red-heavy with the socks, despite the mismatch it would create?

As for the alternate take, I almost transferred the gold over to that set too. I actually considered replacing the gold with kelly green too, not for any specific reason other than it would be a cool, otherwise unused scheme.

sSt3Gbb.pngiEpRdgf.png

Which of these is better? I can update the original post after getting some feedback.

With the Marlins, your suggestions do bring about a cleaner set for sure. I decided to leave the marlin on the cap though, because the M or the marlin on their own were just a little too plain for my tastes. 

i8y4ziJ.png

Should I update the set to be like this?

For the Mets, I'll admit I really like the racing stripes, to me it's a nice way to bring a conventionally 80's look into the modern day. I did remove the pinstripes on the home to try not to go too overboard with it. I can see where you're coming from though. Personally, I've grown to not really like placket piping anymore (as evidenced by my lack of use of it throughout this series), but the blue alternate provided some inspiration on a different direction I could've taken with the Mets:

UlfwPSY.png

I'm probably going to stick with the racing stripes for the set (as this would be too similar to the A's, in my opinion), but this wouldn't be a bad direction to take. Don't worry about not being too much of a fan of this set though, trust me the criticism is greatly appreciated!

2 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Nice work on the Mets! That number font suits them really well. 

Thank you!

21 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Love that updated Marlins home design. Why can’t they look like that in real life?!

I also really dig the splash of green you added to the Braves. Maybe work it into the sock stripes as well?

Thanks! I'm gonna go ahead & give a full update to the Marlins, since I like how much cleaner it makes the set. Here are the updated uniforms:

Tut4GWZ.pngK0FAPmr.pngaH8sEOK.png

The black alternate, BP, and fauxback would remain the same.

Also, here's another Turn Back the Clock option, possibly for in a few years when the Marlins have their next anniversary.

aVLfDhN.png

And here's a full version of the kelly green set for the Braves, I tried out a sock pattern inspired by @bkknight95's Braves set.

axhD9Dv.pngmunAojG.pngx85G0lK.pngsut4pZV.png

Archived