MLB x NIKE [Outtakes: Alternate Color Schemes (Series Complete)]

MJD7

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Victormrey said:

Great job with these last designs! I really like the Marlins and Mets sets. While I find the use of green for the Braves interesting, I prefer your original idea.

Keep it up!

Thank you very much!

And now we have the Philadelphia Phillies!

h7SBvJ2.pngFHXW1Cy.pngqgLxJ1C.pngekmhnyj.pngArwNxDj.png

• As previewed in @Carolingian Steamroller's wonderful MLB series, for the main set I decided to try to inject a little bit more blue into the color scheme. Although I like how the Phils currently look in real life, this was done in order to separate more from red-heavy clubs like St. Louis and Cincinnati. The hat now has a blue brim & blue outlines are added to all of the logos/wordmarks.
  • The liberty bell replaces the numbers on the sleeve as a new patch. Although the numbers were a nice touch, the bell would bring a more iconic element of Philadelphia into the identity.
  • The away is inspired by the Phillies' 1940's road uniforms, but with added emphasis on red.
  • The Turn Back the Clock uniform simply brought about an opportunity for Philly to keep its cream alternate uniforms, which are inspired by the home version of that same 40's set.

For the alternate take, I was determined this time around to not to go for the popular maroon & powder route (although I have a set with that scheme ready, in case anyone would really want to see it), instead I just decided to replace royal blue in the Phillies real-life set with powder blue. The away gets more of a powder tint to it, and the red alternate gets a few touch-ups to be cleaner & more readable.

FmmY1nR.pngc9an7bb.png5WrhsON.pngzzehAfW.png

I probably prefer Part II to the main set, just because it feels more "Phillies" to me. Still, the added royal blue was worth a shot, I think. Let me know what you guys think though!

1 hour ago, MJD7 said:

I was determined this time around to not to go for the popular maroon & powder route (although I have a set with that scheme ready, in case anyone would really want to see it), 

Of course.

The Phillies look amazing. I like the overall design of the first set, but I like the powder blue more then the royal. Curious as to how it would look if you switched the royal blue on the first set to powder blue.

On 5/26/2019 at 9:30 PM, Andrew_Gamer_NZP said:

Of course.

Sounds good, here's a look at a maroon & powder set:

HWIHnIC.png844lm4A.pngpLcFmp8.png5Z5czQL.png

I made the shade a bit more cardinal than usual, as the team's maroon was starting to look a little too brown to me.

On 5/26/2019 at 9:30 PM, Andrew_Gamer_NZP said:

The Phillies look amazing. I like the overall design of the first set, but I like the powder blue more then the royal. Curious as to how it would look if you switched the royal blue on the first set to powder blue.

Thanks! To be honest, putting powder blue onto the main set didn't really work for me, as the powder often blends with the white to create a blur. The road uniform, especially, didn't work at all. Here's the best I could do with the other uniforms though:

OJPmmfZ.pngJ6lNZZi.pngqBtK4oa.png

3 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Great job on the Phillies. I think I like the royal blue version a little better but honestly it's remarkably close. 

Great choice of using powder blue on the royal-heavy road uniform. 

Thank you!

3 hours ago, coco1997 said:

I never even considered the Phils being a red and powder blue team, mostly because I just associate that scheme with Chicago, but it does work really well for them!

Thanks! A lot of the inspiration actually did come from the red & powder White Sox uniforms of the 70's!

3 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Picking a color scheme for the Phils is so hard. 

For sure! I think I probably prefer maroon & powder myself, just for them to be able to separate from the other red teams, in the NL especially. I just didn’t want to go for that initially in this series because it’s been done well so many times in the past.

Next, wrapping up the NL East, we have the Washington Nationals!

AUnoyx7.pngZuJjiVe.png2FrMZSg.pngi7Xg1Do.pngi9nBEtt.pngD9VtT1B.png

• Acting as a sort of inverse to the Braves in color distribution, the Nats set takes on a primarily red scheme but with navy wordmarks, inspired by the new Spring Training jersey.
  • The away has a sort of copper-like tint to it, inspired by the road uniforms of the team's inception.
  • The primary pinwheel cap derives its design from the classic Expos caps, as it's a design that could be exclusive and iconic for the Nats.
  • Inspired by @SFGiants58's take on the Nationals, the "DC" logo takes place of the curly W on the main set, as I agree that it is a superior logo and would better distinguish this iteration of the team from the past.
  • As is the case with their new Spring Training jersey, the Nationals are the only team to have a white BP jersey, as I feel the use of white helps to separate them from the other red & navy teams.
  • The Turn Back the Clock uniform is obviously derived from the Expos' racing stripes set, as I felt it fits well into the Nats' brand that I've built. The curly W makes a comeback on the jersey, as it has similar aesthetic qualities to the Expos' "elb," "eMb," or whatever it is logo.

As for the alternate take, I decided to take red out of the Nationals' scheme and replace it with the metallic gold that was used in their earlier years. This scheme would (spoiler alert for the future of the series) be unique in baseball and would be fitting with the historicity and grandiosity of the museums and monuments of the DC area.

kZV6EkO.pngyKkpuhf.pngjrcCWOA.png

As a final note, rest in peace to Marc Okkonen, whose work on the Hall of Fame's Dressed to the Nines database has been instrumental in the making of this series. Thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.

Thanks to everyone following along up to this point, I'd love to know what you all think.

All around nice job on the Nats! Great color distribution, and I love the use of the front paneled cap design throughout the set. 

Though I prefer the Wizards-inspired color scheme from your last series, I actually kind of dig the navy & metallic gold look...which I guess/hope means we'll be seeing the Brewers in royal blue and yellow. 😉

On 5/31/2019 at 2:49 PM, coco1997 said:

All around nice job on the Nats! Great color distribution, and I love the use of the front paneled cap design throughout the set. 

Though I prefer the Wizards-inspired color scheme from your last series, I actually kind of dig the navy & metallic gold look...which I guess/hope means we'll be seeing the Brewers in royal blue and yellow. 😉

Thank you! With this series I tried to stick closer to looks the Nats have had in the past, which resulted in the navy/gold this time around. And I guess we'll have to see about the Brewers🤔

On 6/1/2019 at 2:49 PM, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Nats look great, including the Wizards version. Minor tweak would be to ditch the white outlining on the road uniform. It'll match the striping better.

Thanks. I think I prefer the white outlining to stay on the road uniform, just because it helps unify the jersey with the cap & socks. Here's a version without white outlines though for you to see, with the shade of gray lightened to accommodate it:

7A2hBlg.pngQXsKBOO.png

The Cubs should be up soon.

Here are the Chicago Cubs!

ZMXR7Ja.pngCnRmCJI.pngjfyiO9u.pngUKAgVQ0.pngR4OD32f.png

• The road set gets the biggest changes, in that it's inspired by what's popularly considered the best Cubs road set, the 1960's uniform. The NOB font and the sock pattern are inspired by @SFGiants58's take on the Cubbies.
  • Although I don't mind the current "C-bear" logo as much as some others do, for this set it gets replaced by a more throwback-style logo, inspired by the 1908-1914 logo.
  • The alternate and the Turn Back the Clock jerseys are also derived from the 1908 set, with the fauxback effectively acting as a snow white alternate home option for the Cubs.

For the Cubs' Part II, I wasn't really sure what color scheme I should go with. I decided to try pairing the classic royal blue with a light brown, as the color has been used in the Cubs' earlier history. If you guys have any other suggestions for color schemes though, let me know and I can try them out.

uvswTO9.pngudDki70.png9Tonq4v.png

C+C is appreciated, as always.

I kind of find it dull to use the Same old fashioned logo for THREE jerseys. Could you try like another, maybe fiercer cubs logo?spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

possibly remaster the third logo?

spacer.pngspacer.png

Im an isles,rangers,devils,Sabres,Yankees,Mets,Braves,hawks,knicks,nets,bills,giants,falcons,and jets fan. So?

I like the royal blue and light brown scheme! Given a choice I think I'd prefer powder blue and dark brown, but I know you've tried that before. 

For the main set, my only suggestions would be to make the bear logo on the alternate blue with a white outline, and the "C" on the throwback blue with a red outline. Seeing as the Cubs are primarily a blue team, it's a little odd to see both the "C" and the bear in red. 

While I like your Part II look with blue and tan, I worry that it's too similar to the Cubs' divisional opponent Brewers. I know the Brewers have a more gold color than tan (or yellow with their throwbacks), but I think Part II could stand to be even more bold with changing the colors. What about going with a brown/green color scheme instead? It's underused in baseball (if at all) and that way the bear cub could be of a rich brown color and the green could represent the environment you'd find the cub in. The green could even be the same shade of the color of the ivy at Wrigley Field.

21 hours ago, coco1997 said:

For the main set, my only suggestions would be to make the bear logo on the alternate blue with a white outline, and the "C" on the throwback blue with a red outline Since the Cubs are primarily a blue team, it's a little odd to see both the "C" and the bear in red. 

That's a good point. Blue with a white outline seemed to blend a little too much into the background, so I decided to make the bear white. On the throwback, I felt the bear looked better in blue than the C did. Good suggestions! I think they're an improvement.

Wp2AQuR.pngNNk1CJs.png

21 hours ago, coco1997 said:

I like the royal blue and light brown scheme! Given a choice I think I'd prefer powder blue and dark brown, but I know you've tried that before. 

I think I probably prefer the brown & powder too, which is why I decided to try the scheme again, with a few touch-ups.

B0UNcrF.png5I6LT1V.pngkKoimYv.pngGoyVcz2.png

I think the throwback is probably my favorite.

20 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

I definitely prefer the blue/red version. Minor edit to the BP: the cubbie holding the bat is the same color as the "C" in the home and road alt jerseys. It might be wise to swap the color for the BP to white, in keeping with the general aesthetic of the rest of the set. 

Me too. With the edits on the alternate & throwback above, now the BP fits in better with the rest of the set, with the bear being the opposite color of the "C."

19 hours ago, Megildur said:

While I like your Part II look with blue and tan, I worry that it's too similar to the Cubs' divisional opponent Brewers. I know the Brewers have a more gold color than tan (or yellow with their throwbacks), but I think Part II could stand to be even more bold with changing the colors. What about going with a brown/green color scheme instead? It's underused in baseball (if at all) and that way the bear cub could be of a rich brown color and the green could represent the environment you'd find the cub in. The green could even be the same shade of the color of the ivy at Wrigley Field.

I was a little hesitant when I first saw your suggestion of brown/green, but your reasoning convinced me. In fact, I realized I did something similar back when I had the Chicago Ewoks in my MLB Star Wars series. Here's a look at your suggestion:

M5V9gsU.pngsl9cxJT.pnghq5B7Gs.pngiEpp0Lt.png

It looks better than I would've expected, although it almost looks a little too naturalistic, if that makes sense. I think I still like the brown & powder a little bit better.

If you guys have any other color schemes suggestions let me know, and also let me know what you think about these!

Archived