MLB x NIKE [Outtakes: Alternate Color Schemes (Series Complete)]

MJD7

Now we have the New York Yankees!

31I8mVt.pnge1o8sBc.pngwYkS5IC.pngSvFWssh.png

• The classic home set remains unchanged, although some may cringe at seeing the swoosh on the front of the pinstripes, haha.
  • Unlike my last Yankees concept, I decided to keep the white outlines and striping on the road jersey, as to me it gives a bit more of a modern look. The uniform is also *slightly* tinted navy, though it's barely noticeable by intention. I slightly modified the wordmark to be a little thicker and have more even weights by basing it off of this wordmark.
  • The Turn Back the Clock uniform makes up for the lack of an "old-school" feel on the regular road, as it is a throwback to one of the Bronx Bombers' earliest looks. The uniform features a subtle melange fabric pattern courtesy of my friend @Victormrey, a design element which Nike has incorporated into their baseball uniforms before
  • Just as a note, whenever the Yankees are on the road in Spring Training games, they would wear the gray throwback cap with the BP jersey and the regular gray pants.

We'll have Tampa Bay up next, where things get at least a little bit more interesting! C&C is appreciated!

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here we go!

Baltimore - You’ve done some good clean-up work on their current set. I like both the Clarendon numbers and the new BP.

Boston - I think the red is way too overpowering on the home and road sets. Might I recommend using the classic sock stripe pattern to better balance things out? If conflict with the Orioles is the problem, I’d suggest a different orange-heavy sock pattern. I like the alternates, but I’d recommend using the “B” on its own for either the home or road alts. The dark green makes for a fantastic alternate look.

New York - I really like how you’ve cleaned up the road wordmark and the grey alternate. I’d also recommend using a unified “NY,” but that’s personal preference.

Fantastic work thus far!

On 2/24/2019 at 6:31 AM, Victormrey said:

So far so good! You managed to fit two classic teams into the Nike look, great job 👏🏻

On 2/24/2019 at 10:30 AM, coco1997 said:

Nice job with the Yankees. The melange effect on that road alternate is really nice. 

Thank you both!

On 2/25/2019 at 11:28 AM, SFGiants58 said:

Here we go!

Baltimore - You’ve done some good clean-up work on their current set. I like both the Clarendon numbers and the new BP.

Boston - I think the red is way too overpowering on the home and road sets. Might I recommend using the classic sock stripe pattern to better balance things out? If conflict with the Orioles is the problem, I’d suggest a different orange-heavy sock pattern. I like the alternates, but I’d recommend using the “B” on its own for either the home or road alts. The dark green makes for a fantastic alternate look.

New York - I really like how you’ve cleaned up the road wordmark and the grey alternate. I’d also recommend using a unified “NY,” but that’s personal preference.

Fantastic work thus far!

I appreciate it! Personally, I’ve always been an advocate of the Red Sox wearing completely red socks, though I can see where you’re coming from. I kind of like that the red is “overpowering,” as it makes the socks the focal point of the design in a way, fitting for the team name. However, I could maybe balance it out as @Carolingian Steamroller did by changing to red caps? As for a “B” alternate, I absolutely love your Project 32 navy alternate uni, but I didn’t want to just copy it straight up. I feel like the “B” might look good on the navy alt though, I can try that out.

The Rays should be up later today!

Finally we get to experiment a little bit here with the Tampa Bay Rays! This is a team that could use a bit of a refresh, so hopefully Nike can help provide that. Here is my take on the Rays:

AnbVhyr.pngeAq96Cu.pngxPYthBf.pnghvscanF.pngTo5LLgV.pngXPrVbjj.png

• The set uses the font and numerals I designed for my MLB Redesigns series, which are inspired by the Minor League Daytona Tortugas.
  • I was sure to emphasize columbia blue as the primary color, to separate from the other navy teams of the league. As has been said by myself and countless others, it's a beautiful color that deserves some spotlight.
  • The striping and white front-panel cap are both design elements inspired by the 80's fauxback uniform worn a few years ago.
  • Speaking of fauxbacks, the Turn Back the Clock set is completely inspired by the Rays' inaugural gradient look which they have thrown back to recently. The striping is inspired by @Victormrey's take on the gradient Rays. I think the gradient looks a lot better paired with navy blue than with black, so much so that I almost considered basing the entire set around this design , since it seems to be the direction the team is heading in lately. Ultimately, I couldn't pass on the columbia blue.

I would love to hear what you guys think about this set! Thanks for following along!

This is just me but I wouldn't change a stitch on the Red Sox. Whether you do the retro socks or not, I think the all blue cap really looks great with the red sleeves, especially since you've done the color switch on the road.

I like the red caps for my version because I went with blue sleeves to correct for the double headspoon, which is a problem you don't have to contend with. 

On 2/27/2019 at 4:36 PM, coco1997 said:

The Rays are an enormous upgrade over their current look! I think the BP set is my favorite--the Carolina blue socks, shoes and white front paneled cap all complement each other terrifically.

Thanks! Yea, the light blue is just a beautiful color, I wanted to use it as much as possible when the Rays are playing in the Florida sunshine.

On 2/27/2019 at 5:51 PM, Carolingian Steamroller said:

That's just remarkable.

The script is perfect for what the Rays should be going for. I love the way yellow is enhanced in a way that complements the blues. The alts are just terrific. Great eye for detail in this one. 

Thank you so much!

On 2/27/2019 at 5:56 PM, Carolingian Steamroller said:

This is just me but I wouldn't change a stitch on the Red Sox. Whether you do the retro socks or not, I think the all blue cap really looks great with the red sleeves, especially since you've done the color switch on the road.

I like the red caps for my version because I went with blue sleeves to correct for the double headspoon, which is a problem you don't have to contend with. 

I agree, the blue cap with the red socks and sleeves is a nice look for them in my opinion. One reason the red caps might look nice though is just to distinguish from Cleveland, which is part of why I’m holding off on a “B” alternate, as you’ll see soon.

On 2/27/2019 at 7:53 PM, Blindsay said:

YES TAMPA SHOULD SEE THIS AND TAKE NOTES. Do the Mets next!

Haha I wish! And I’m gonna be keeping in the order I have posted on the first page, but hopefully you’ll stick around to see the Mets!

On 2/28/2019 at 3:03 AM, itsmb8 said:

Any way you can send me those Rays logos?  Id love to put them into the OOTP game, and would only be for personal use unless given permission to release to the public.

Sure thing, I don’t mind! Check your messages.

Finishing up the AL East, we have the Toronto Blue Jays!

JcWyYiL.pngR93Z1xd.pngpgxkwWs.pngGh4RwdH.pngu0CapUG.png

• Not many changes necessary for the Jays, the away has a light blue tint to it reflecting the original powder blue roads.
  • The Turn Back the Clock design is also based on the early powder blue sets.

I didn't originally plan to have a Part II for the Blue Jays, as some of you might have noticed: they weren't on my list of blue & red teams to begin with. However, I figured I might as well try and offer an interesting spin on a set that is already a modern classic as-is. For the alternate take, I went with the 2000's color scheme like I did in my Redesigns series, but this time I decided to put some more emphasis on black, keeping a co-balanced color scheme of black and bright blue. The away has a black tint to it, reflecting the graphite Jays road prototype from that era.

ZsORqQ7.pnglmRFJqn.pngyFx1ZEX.png

On 3/3/2019 at 10:39 PM, coco1997 said:

Solid work on Toronto. Even though it's hard to mess with their classic color scheme, i have to admit that black and light blue combo is pretty compelling! 

Thanks! Yea, I definitely wanted to avoid messing with their current scheme, as it's simply a beautiful set, but I also wanted to offer something interesting beyond their usual uniforms!

On 3/4/2019 at 11:18 AM, ChiCity95 said:

What about a Canada Day variant for the Blue Jays?

Here's what I came up with! I went a bit of a new route by going all-in on the Canada aspect by following the BP template, thus avoiding the "Red Jays" problem.

cUNKV3P.png

While we're at it, here are two variants of a Red Sox "B" alternate, one with red and one with white striping. Surprisingly, I think I like the white better (it sort of reflects the classic socks, and makes the jersey more different from Cleveland will be), but I'd be curious to see what you guys think.

wLj0bcG.png4vHJd3z.png

Archived