MJD7

MLB x NIKE [Outtakes: Alternate Color Schemes (Series Complete)]

Recommended Posts

I do like it (especially the fonts, pants stripes, raglan sleeves, and the alternate), but I have to agree that it’s a tad too derivative of the Astros (albeit spacing out the gradient shades). Picking just one or two shades would likely improve it from that perspective.

 

Well done!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would removed the big black collars, make it a vest jersey maybe? Or just remove the sleeves as it makes it feel super minor league

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/9/2019 at 11:59 AM, bkknight95 said:

OOOOH. I'm a big, big fan!

Thank you so much!

On 8/9/2019 at 12:16 PM, coco1997 said:

Very cool! 

 

A few small suggestions:

 

- How would the home and alt look with a white front paneled cap?

 

- On the fauxback, I’d make the outline under the wordmark white with a black outline.

 

Keep up the great work. Looking forward to more teams!

Thanks! Here's a look at your suggestions:

bnwzcKo.pngjLC6Luo.png

 

I'll show the throwback with both the underline and the number yellow, respectively. I also decided to go with the lighter shade of yellow this time around.

a8FrW0N.pngRju0gWK.png

I think I like the underline being yellow better.

 

On 8/9/2019 at 12:26 PM, rmc523 said:

Hmm.  It's too Astros for me.  I honestly initially thought it was some sort of Astros alternate scheme before I saw the Vegas branding. 

 

On 8/9/2019 at 12:56 PM, SFGiants58 said:

I do like it (especially the fonts, pants stripes, raglan sleeves, and the alternate), but I have to agree that it’s a tad too derivative of the Astros (albeit spacing out the gradient shades). Picking just one or two shades would likely improve it from that perspective.

 

Well done!

Yea, I figured it'd still be a little too close to the Astros. They really have a lock on the warm-colored gradient scheme. I also noticed something else this identity reminded me of...

 

Spoiler

tireplus-highres-500x500

😂

Although I can probably minimize the set down to black, red, and yellow (taking out the "orange-ish" shades in between, minimizing most Astros comparisons), I feel like that would take away a lot of the other positives about the set. Here's my shot at it though:

PVl92va.png

Let me know if you'd like to see a full set out of it.

On 8/9/2019 at 1:43 PM, BellaSpurs said:

I would remove the big black collars, make it a vest jersey maybe? Or just remove the sleeves as it makes it feel super minor league

The big black collar was meant to be reminiscent of poofy aviator jackets. It seems like maybe going all in on the throwback direction might be something you like more though:

YSiKqGC.pngdUY5DfS.png

Let me know if anyone would like to see a full version of this set as well.

 

While we're at it, just for fun I also wanted to show this idea I had of a possible Sunday alt, that's admittedly a lot more reminiscent of those Jazz City Edition unis:

9A2N84M.png

 

Let me know what you guys think or if you have any ideas for what you'd do with the Aviators!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d definitely stick with the white front paneled cap look. I think in general, hats with contrasting front panels help to balance the colors when paired with raglan sleeved jerseys.

 

For the throwback, I’d use the yellow bar with white front numbers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/28/2019 at 8:53 PM, MJD7 said:

Here we go with the Knights!

kPAH8RH.pngQPGCQjp.pnggzD1YMQ.pngdQCozWr.pngaJVGe26.png8Ud6Ewe.png

Hopefully you all are excited for expansion, any C+C would is appreciated as always!

Love the uniforms, especially the throwback. If you really want to look like the '90s Hornets, though, you need to have the pinstripes on the shirt only. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

Love the uniforms, especially the throwback. If you really want to look like the '90s Hornets, though, you need to have the pinstripes on the shirt only. ;)

Thank you! I definitely thought about doing that, I just wanted to fit the "90's Hornets" look more into a baseball aesthetic.

21 hours ago, coco1997 said:

I’d definitely stick with the white front paneled cap look. I think in general, hats with contrasting front panels help to balance the colors when paired with raglan sleeved jerseys.

 

For the throwback, I’d use the yellow bar with white front numbers.

Although I don't think the white front-paneled cap looks bad, the main reason I implemented the raglan sleeves was to maximize black and minimize white in the identity. Adding the white front-paneled cap back in sort of counteracts that goal. For the throwback though, I would use the yellow underline with the white numbers.

 

Here's a proposal for an update of the main set, complete with new red & yellow alternates. Thoughts?

ZTUsyMr.pngNYLkQbp.pngk32DahE.pngZqiIHj1.pngx4wPRsc.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like this update, but I have a few comments:

 

- How about going with just “VEGAS” on the road jersey like on the yellow alt?

 

-  On the new red alt, the yellow trim of the wordmark kind of bleeds into the red, making it hard to read. 

 

Those suggestions aside, I like this updated set. I think the changes you made definitely help differentiate the concept from the Astros.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/12/2019 at 10:01 AM, coco1997 said:

I like this update, but I have a few comments:

 

- How about going with just “VEGAS” on the road jersey like on the yellow alt?

 

-  On the new red alt, the yellow trim of the wordmark kind of bleeds into the red, making it hard to read. 

 

Those suggestions aside, I like this updated set. I think the changes you made definitely help differentiate the concept from the Astros.

Thanks. I think, for the road, I like having the full "Las Vegas," just because I wouldn't want their name to be reduced to the "Vegas Aviators." As for the red alt, I'm not really sure what else I could do other than just drop it entirely. It would be nice to not have to add in white to the jersey, so it could be used on the road as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Going a bit more traditional with this next expansion team, here are the Louisville Bats!

SoTdTs2.pngc0HWGAd.pngJLRxJ6W.pngUNEtUqo.pngxjkqUMN.pngXuEH5VX.png

  • This was an identity I thought about integrating in my Redesigns series, but couldn't quite fit the pieces together. Now, everything's settled to hopefully make a nice, cohesive set. Dark purple and red acts as a combination their last two color schemes, and is one that has yet to be used, beyond the Cardinals Part II.
  • The logos and numerals all come from the Bats' already stellar Minor League identity. The "divot" in the sleeve & sock stripes is inspired by the baseball stitches in the primary logo, and more indirectly the Minnesota Vikings prototype inaugural uniforms, as well as the wings of a bat. The BP uniform also takes this bat-wing motif to form the "cowl" on the front of the jersey.
  • The away uniform is a dark gray that matches the shade of the bat in the primary logo.
  • The Turn Back the Clock uniform utilizes placket piping inspired by the team's Louisville Colonels throwback, while also using a cream base that goes well with the purple & red, in my opinion.

Let me know what you think though! C+C is appreciated as always.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You really knocked this one out of the park, it looks fantastic, and while I like the purple and red, red is the namesake of the team across the river, I think it’d be best to avoid it. Bring on the fan favorite purple and gold. It was a better color scheme than the one they have now and I’d love to see it applied to the current set. I’d also lighten up the grey just a touch.

Otherwise, I love the removal of the cartoon bat, it really gives it a more major league feel. I love the little divots in the sleeves too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I absolutely adore that throwback design! It's good enough to be the main home set if you had wanted to go in that direction.

 

I agree with @BellaSpurs that the road gray is too dark. It may work on its own (and even then you might want to add a white stroke to the script and back numbers for visibility) but I could see the design encountering the same problem that the current D-Backs road set does in that when paired with an alternate, it looks atrocious on the field. 

 

One other small suggestion--I'd give the cap that goes with the red alt a purple bill, or just use the cap that goes with the main home set. 

 

Keep up the great work! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, BellaSpurs said:

You really knocked this one out of the park, it looks fantastic, and while I like the purple and red, red is the namesake of the team across the river, I think it’d be best to avoid it. Bring on the fan favorite purple and gold. It was a better color scheme than the one they have now and I’d love to see it applied to the current set. I’d also lighten up the grey just a touch.

Otherwise, I love the removal of the cartoon bat, it really gives it a more major league feel. I love the little divots in the sleeves too.

Thank you! I probably prefer the purple & red, but purple & gold is never a bad scheme either:

Yp9l3Iz.pngSUSZWL6.png2FfGf5L.pngeSQrQsO.pngvzs3Muj.pngSOgDn7g.png

 

I decided to not lighten the gray for this set because it clashed with the gold if I did.

 

I also have a purple & black version of the set, if anyone would like to see that.

 

6 hours ago, coco1997 said:

I absolutely adore that throwback design! It's good enough to be the main home set if you had wanted to go in that direction.

 

I agree with @BellaSpurs that the road gray is too dark. It may work on its own (and even then you might want to add a white stroke to the script and back numbers for visibility) but I could see the design encountering the same problem that the current D-Backs road set does in that when paired with an alternate, it looks atrocious on the field. 

 

One other small suggestion--I'd give the cap that goes with the red alt a purple bill, or just use the cap that goes with the main home set. 

 

Keep up the great work! 

Thank you so much! The throwback design is one of my favorites too, I imagine they'd take advantage of wearing it quite often.

 

Here's a look at a lighter gray and a purple bill on the red alt, both of which are likely improvements:

q8gFUNZ.pngSP9nViB.png

 

Thanks as always for the feedback!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, the lighter gray and new red cap design are big improvements. 

 

Not a fan of the purple and gold. It feels too MiLB to me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Next up, as @Eastport76 accurately predicted, here are the Nashville Sounds!

sISDdZY.pngXvIeIUR.pngM8L8hFQ.pngJx4zeEI.pngz0pTJ0n.pngiyGJ2xG.png

  • In the last Nashville set I did in my Redesigns series I think I tried to do a bit too much, so hopefully this iteration is more focused & concise. I narrowed down the color scheme this time around to black & red, with orange as an accent color.
  • The striping pattern from the Sounds' current primary logo is applied to the sleeves, collars, and pants, and the 6-stripe guitar string pattern makes an appearance as racing stripes on the sleeves as well. It sort of acts as a pinstripe design solely for the sleeves, taking a traditional baseball design and putting a unique spin on it.
  • The red alternate is inspired by the red alternate of the team's last design, which I love.
  • The BP uniform takes the guitar string pattern and places it on the cap & jersey. The fauxback design considers what this iteration of the set would have looked like in the 70's, inspired by the Sounds' throwback uniform. Most likely, the Sounds would have added black during the BFBS trend of late 90's-early 2000's, but before that the scheme would have been just red & orange, much like the Buccaneers creamsicle uniforms. So, I decided to run with that idea, and I think it turned out to be my favorite uniform of the set.

Let me know what you think though, any suggestions are truly appreciated. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My main issue is that there's not enough contast with these colors for such a complex wordmark. Everything kind of bleeds together and makes it difficult to read.

 

Also, would fans who (presumably) already root for Vanderbilt's baseball team want a color so similar to the hated Vols in their scheme? 

 

I'd say if you want to keep something like this scheme, drop the red for gold, and change the orange to something closer to a traffic cone. I know that's similar to what the Giants use, but the gold is just tacked on to their look. I think this identity lends itself to a much more natual application of those colors.

 

But if you're open to changing them altogether, I'd try the Titans colors. I know MLB has a glut of RWB teams, but I think there's just enough of a difference with the powder blue and silver to make it unique if excecuted correctly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know this would be a major change but I wonder if you would consider using the scripts from the Sounds’ current uniforms. They have more of a classic baseball feel, IMO, with their more traditional script style. Just looking at the fauxback you made, that “Sounds” script is so much nicer than the primary one. You’d lose the “Music City” alt, but I think it’d be worth it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, NicDB said:

 

But if you're open to changing them altogether, I'd try the Titans colors. I know MLB has a glut of RWB teams, but I think there's just enough of a difference with the powder blue and silver to make it unique if excecuted correctly.

Or Predators' colours. Also, their current scripts looks they're a major team. Although a good look.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/17/2019 at 1:51 AM, NicDB said:

My main issue is that there's not enough contrast with these colors for such a complex wordmark. Everything kind of bleeds together and makes it difficult to read.

 

Also, would fans who (presumably) already root for Vanderbilt's baseball team want a color so similar to the hated Vols in their scheme? 

 

I'd say if you want to keep something like this scheme, drop the red for gold, and change the orange to something closer to a traffic cone. I know that's similar to what the Giants use, but the gold is just tacked on to their look. I think this identity lends itself to a much more natural application of those colors.

 

But if you're open to changing them altogether, I'd try the Titans colors. I know MLB has a glut of RWB teams, but I think there's just enough of a difference with the powder blue and silver to make it unique if executed correctly.

Ultimately, you're probably right. The older wordmarks are a bit too complex & 2000's overall.

 

However, I feel if I dropped red for gold, I think the same argument could be made in the scheme appealing too much in the other direction, favoring Vanderbilt fans.

 

Here's how the Titans scheme would look though. It would be a good look if the Rays decided to relocate.

lZCdGQg.pngR1ZhdXZ.pngpKpn8ka.pngbkI5Zq4.pngW7kiECh.pngNjgtcpl.png

 

Hopefully you'll like the solution I'm posting below, it allows me to keep the scheme while making the wordmark more readable.

On 8/17/2019 at 9:33 AM, coco1997 said:

I know this would be a major change but I wonder if you would consider using the scripts from the Sounds’ current uniforms. They have more of a classic baseball feel, IMO, with their more traditional script style. Just looking at the fauxback you made, that “Sounds” script is so much nicer than the primary one. You’d lose the “Music City” alt, but I think it’d be worth it. 

I'll admit, I do have a soft spot for for the older wordmarks, but the current ones are pretty great too. Here's a look your suggestion for the set.

EFJwcSD.pngM3UBPSk.png5lBlSjg.pngYACH8EN.pngkKesm0o.png

 

The fauxback would stay the same.

On 8/17/2019 at 11:10 AM, Eastport76 said:

Or Predators' colours. Also, their current scripts looks they're a major team. Although a good look.

Not a bad look either!

qiaj5LF.pngbkE5JVM.png86LHMNa.pngoRrUpA5.pngrfWMcoR.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh man, the new scripts look great. Definitely the way to go.

 

I wonder how that set would look in the Titans color scheme. 

 

Maybe model one of the alts on this design?

 

spacer.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Bats: I really like how you've handled their set, especially with the purple/red color scheme! The striping is an inventive look, which I enjoy. The purple/metallic gold is also a strong look, but I don't like it as much as purple/red. I'd say the updates fixed my complaints with it. Well done!

 

Sounds: Like NicDB, I'm not that big a fan of the previous wordmark designs. They've always felt "overdesigned" to me, with way too much going on. I suppose you could strip the wordmarks down to their primary layer and re-do the outlining (the same applies for the numerals) to get it looking less busy, like what you did with the new wordmarks. Using the current designs for the update was a fantastic choice, as they are far cleaner and more "major league" than the originals. The drop shadow and guitar string stripes, which I do enjoy, are enough for them to be considered a "modern" team. 

 

I am curious as to how the new scripts would translate into the powder/navy/red or the navy/yellow/white designs, as well as the possibility of incorporating the guitar stripes into the socks. Still, you've done fantastic work!

 

Edited by SFGiants58

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.