MLB x NIKE [Outtakes: Alternate Color Schemes (Series Complete)]

MJD7

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/5/2019 at 4:55 PM, ChiCity95 said:

That would make a good CD uniform for Toronto.

Thanks.

On 3/6/2019 at 2:07 PM, coco1997 said:

Tough call on the Red Sox alt. I prefer more red, but the white definitely pops a bit better. 

Yea, it’s a close one for sure. For now, I think I’ll just stick with the “Boston” script, and wait for you all to see Cleveland.

On 3/6/2019 at 7:25 PM, Blindsay said:

How would a gradient look on the Red Sox alt?

I’m sorry, I’m not sure exactly what you mean, could you please explain?

The White Sox will be up in a little bit!

I mean on the alternate. The gradient could go black on to red. You know what gradients are right?

spacer.pngspacer.png

Im an isles,rangers,devils,Sabres,Yankees,Mets,Braves,hawks,knicks,nets,bills,giants,falcons,and jets fan. So?

6 hours ago, Blindsay said:

I mean on the alternate. The gradient could go black on to red. You know what gradients are right?

You do know how bad gradients on uniforms look right?

tinysig.jpg

17 hours ago, Blindsay said:

11 hours ago, Jake3.roo said:

You do know how bad gradients on uniforms look right?

I know what a gradient is (I just used it as a design element in my Rays set), it’s just not clear to me how you would like to see it applied, whether it be on the striping, the entire jersey, the logo... Regardless, I don’t think gradients are an element that would fit within the Red Sox traditional brand.

Sorry for the bit of delay, but here are the White Sox!

71F5pDI.pngYAVNl2a.png3Za21ek.pngSgTPFVa.pngYQzFLxD.png

• The number font is a modified version of this throwback font that the White Sox have worn on throwbacks in the past. I felt it fit good with the Gothic "Sox" logo, while also differentiating from the Red Sox and the Tigers in style.
  • I decided to take the pinstripes off of the home for a cleaner look, although the pinstripes are great, I wanted to differentiate a bit more from the Yankees and make some changes, since that is the purpose of a thread like this after all.
  • The two-stripe motif seen currently on their road jerseys makes its way throughout the set, including the sock design, which was inspired by @SFGiants58's take on the grayscale Sox.
  • The road features an anthracite shade that bodes well for flipping the colors of the wordmark, creating a uniquely White Sox element of a white wordmark on the road. The black cap could also be worn often on the road, I just showed it with white here. The same goes for the black "White Sox" alternate.
  • The BP takes design inspiration on the cap and jersey from the famous 80's design.
  • The Turn Back the Clock design is based on early White Sox road uniforms, I felt like the inverse pinstripes were a good fit for them, it's reminiscent of the uniforms that Vanderbilt wears on occasion.

Let me know what you guys think about this set, C+C is truly appreciated!

I really like where you’ve gone thematically with the Sox. The double stripe theme is great. I love the charcoal road with white lettering. I love the plain white logos on the black/pins alt. 

My one quibble is that I am not a fan of pairing the 76 style numbers with the Gothic S-o-x. To my eyes it just becomes too busy. Like pairing apple pie with chocolate ice cream. I’d much prefer a block or Gothic font.

Apart from that, great job!

Tampa Bay - I like the return of the Tortugas' font, as well as the color choices and the striping designs. The fauxback is especially inspired! My one complaint would be with the color balance on the home uniform, as the powder accessories and cap crowns might clash with the navy-heavy lettering. However, I'd excuse it because you matched the uniform lettering to that of the caps and the sock stripes. Well done!

Blue Jays - It's excellent all around! I'd add a white stripe in between the two blue stripes on the pants for the road uniform (I assume that the powder stripe in between the two royal ones on the alternate and BP was an error - EDIT: disregard, just my eyes seeing something that wasn’t there). I like the unorthodox striping design on the BP/Canada Day uniforms' shoulders. The alternate take is a fantastic interpretation of the Black Jays' color scheme, as it feels "blue" enough to still look good.

I'd go with white placket stripes on the Red Sox alternate.

White Sox - Thanks for the shout-out! Like @Carolingian Steamroller, I'm not so sure about pairing the blackletter "Sox" with the Tiffany/Circus-style number font. Either a modified block font or a blackletter number font would work better here. The white-crowned cap on the road uniform is a little too jarring for my taste, and I'd prefer it with the black jersey (I like using the "White Sox" cursive script) only. Both the BP and fauxback are excellent, but I second @coco1997's pinstriped cap suggestion. 

I'm looking forward to your next entry!

On 3/9/2019 at 11:35 AM, MattyB401 said:

White Sox set is sweet. I think you should just use the black cap across the board though.

On 3/10/2019 at 11:41 AM, Carolingian Steamroller said:

I really like where you’ve gone thematically with the Sox. The double stripe theme is great. I love the charcoal road with white lettering. I love the plain white logos on the black/pins alt. 

My one quibble is that I am not a fan of pairing the 76 style numbers with the Gothic S-o-x. To my eyes it just becomes too busy. Like pairing apple pie with chocolate ice cream. I’d much prefer a block or Gothic font.

Apart from that, great job!

On 3/10/2019 at 11:55 AM, Victormrey said:

You've been doing a great job! I love the throwback for the Rays and the outtakes of the Blue Jays.

I love the White Sox set, but I think the road uni would look better with the home cap.

On 3/10/2019 at 12:21 PM, coco1997 said:

I dig what you've done with my White Sox! 

Like @Victormrey, my only nitpick is the pairing of the white cap with the throwback set. Any chance we could see a pinstriped black cap to match the rest of the uni?

On 3/10/2019 at 4:54 PM, SFGiants58 said:

Tampa Bay - I like the return of the Tortugas' font, as well as the color choices and the striping designs. The fauxback is especially inspired! My one complaint would be with the color balance on the home uniform, as the powder accessories and cap crowns might clash with the navy-heavy lettering. However, I'd excuse it because you matched the uniform lettering to that of the caps and the sock stripes. Well done!

Blue Jays - It's excellent all around! I'd add a white stripe in between the two blue stripes on the pants for the road uniform (I assume that the powder stripe in between the two royal ones on the alternate and BP was an error - EDIT: disregard, just my eyes seeing something that wasn’t there). I like the unorthodox striping design on the BP/Canada Day uniforms' shoulders. The alternate take is a fantastic interpretation of the Black Jays' color scheme, as it feels "blue" enough to still look good.

I'd go with white placket stripes on the Red Sox alternate.

White Sox - Thanks for the shout-out! Like @Carolingian Steamroller, I'm not so sure about pairing the blackletter "Sox" with the Tiffany/Circus-style number font. Either a modified block font or a blackletter number font would work better here. The white-crowned cap on the road uniform is a little too jarring for my taste, and I'd prefer it with the black jersey (I like using the "White Sox" cursive script) only. Both the BP and fauxback are excellent, but I second @coco1997's pinstriped cap suggestion. 

I'm looking forward to your next entry!

Thank you all tons! I really appreciate the feedback. Most of your suggestions ended up being very similar, so let's address them here:

XIR2OSJ.pngTFd1QXK.pngYk2Fx79.pnglB6HVVi.png

• The home uniform shows what a more blackletter number font would look like. I like it personally, any thoughts on if this should be the new font for the set?
  • The away is now primarily paired with the black cap, I agree that it does look better. It would have been worn often on the road anyway I figured. But now the white cap will be reserved for "clash" games against other black-heavy teams (the Giants and Pirates, for example).
  • Although the alternate would mostly be paired with the white cap, here's a look at it with the black cap as well.
  • I added a pinstripe cap for the throwback set. I'm a fan. I also decided to remove the sock stripes for a bit of a cleaner look.
  • Also, what would you all think about me adding a gray outline to the caps?

Thanks again for the feedback everybody, it really helped with this set a lot! C+C is appreciated.

Nice updates to the Sox!

I like the new number font. It would be a cool way to connect their identity to their AAA affiliate, the Charlotte Knights. Any thought given to dropping player names from the jerseys? They pulled it off pretty well in the '90s:

1991-classic-game-181.jpg

The only other thing is I kind of miss the white front paneled, silver billed cap. I think it would go nicely with the alt, or even as an alternate home jersey cap. 

Alright so here's a full update for the ChiSox:

tjtlmPL.pngCnrmiIN.pngQUotPu7.png0dpSLp3.pngha6Ew24.png

• I decided to go for the new number font, as it feels more in-line with the White Sox current Gothic identity. I also decided to add a gray outline around the logo on the main caps for more consistency.
  • Following @coco1997's suggestion, I decided to show what the BP cap would look like paired with the black alternate. I really like how it looks, and it made me realize that the white cap is pretty unnecessary, so I decided to drop it. The BP cap could also be occasionally paired with the home jersey, maybe as a Sunday alt or something of the like.

I'm pretty pleased with how this update turned out, it makes the set more consistent throughout and gives the Sox a distinct identity. What do you all think, any thoughts before we move on to Cleveland?

Next up, here comes the Tribe!

2BtdLv6.pngfi8HJEb.pngt6UTgPD.pngrsO4Enk.png9Bhv8Zm.pngtJpaXyK.png

For Cleveland's Part II, I could have gone with brown & red (I do have set prepared with that color scheme, if anyone's interested) which has been tried before, but I wanted to go in a bit of a different direction this time. Although it is still blue & red, maroon & navy would be a scheme that has not been tried before and would fit Cleveland nicely with the Cavaliers. Maroon replaces red in all instances, naturally creating a darker, more old-time feel to the set.

UIDlfzs.png6QYtA1B.png3xJ1at6.pngOX3Dqy7.pngX9oC6nr.png

I think Cleveland can afford to be simple with their logos, and yet with a few updates to striping and color distribution still have a classic set. I'd love to hear what you all think!

Archived