MJD7

MLB x NIKE (Players Weekend/2020 ASG Addendum)

Recommended Posts

Awesome work with the Brewers concept. I like the script for the updated version, it match well with the numbers compare with the first one. 

 

I really like the barrelman striping for the first concept. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really dig the newest version of the Brewers. I'm curious how it would look with navy replacing royal blue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/21/2019 at 4:16 AM, NicDB said:

Honestly, I could live with these. I still have concerns about the gold on powder blue in regards to how legible it'd be on an actual moving player, but this looks like a much more cohesive set than your last effort. And both of those alts are beauts!

Thanks! I think the contrast worked pretty well on the original 1970's uniforms, so hopefully it'd work as well if not better here.

On 6/21/2019 at 4:33 PM, StrongXStyle said:

Awesome work with the Brewers concept. I like the script for the updated version, it match well with the numbers compare with the first one. 

 

I really like the barrelman striping for the first concept. 

Thank you!

On 6/21/2019 at 4:49 PM, coco1997 said:

I really dig the newest version of the Brewers. I'm curious how it would look with navy replacing royal blue. 

Well, here you go!

F9QMS8I.pngxy6hBdn.png2LFoaaP.pngmMgIBnn.png

 

I think I like the royal slightly better, just because it's the iconic Brewers identity. I'd love to hear your thoughts though.

 

The Pirates should hopefully be up soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually think that navy and gold set is my favorite of them all. Looks great!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I like the navy better too, as long as it's paired with the glove and a proper athletic gold. With the Cubs wearing royal and the Cardinals emphasizing red, navy just feels like the color that's "theirs."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/16/2019 at 10:57 PM, MJD7 said:

Moving on with the Miami Marlins!

eMG29sN.png

  • Overall, I like the direction the Marlins tried to go in with this new redesign, I just think they ended up going a little too conservative. The main set has bright blue & black as the primary colors, with pink taking the place of caliente red as the accent. The colors on the wordmarks and stripes are redistributed to highlight their gorgeous bright blue color.
  • The blue and pink are separated by black so they don't blend. The dropshadow becomes an extra outline, to make the wordmark look more like a neon sign like they were going for. The marlin finds its way back into the wordmarks.
  • The mismatching squatchtee and brim is a modern touch that would be unique to the Marlins.
  • The home has a white front-panel cap option to add to the 80's vibe of the look, and the away has a blue cap with a black brim, inspired by the original Florida Marlins road uniform.
  • The blue jersey becomes a full-time (mostly home) alternate, and the black alternate has the unreadable wordmark replaced by the bold "M" logo. The cap options on the home uniforms could be somewhat interchangeable.
  • The BP uniform embraces the pink, and the Turn Back the Clock uniform takes its inspiration from the 1950's Miami Marlins uniforms, complete with the marlin on the sleeve. If the team's Spring Training opponent wears a clashing color such as red, they would wear the blue jersey with the throwback cap and pink accents.

I'd love to hear what you think!

 

I know I'm late to the party, but I wanted to say I like the updates you made.  And love that you made the blue one a true alternate and not a BP only jersey.  Seems like a massive mistake to relegate the most unique color to obscurity.

 

On 5/20/2019 at 11:16 AM, MJD7 said:

 

Thanks. The only thing is I would like to keep the team more Miami focused, since the Rays are also in Florida.

Thank you very much!

 

Since I imagine the Turn Back the Clock options could change every so often, here's a look at a teal & black and a 1950's fauxback! To avoid being too close to the Mets, I adjusted the shades of the blue & orange.

0juYxeE.png

Thank you. I decided to remove the tomahawk in favor of the feather mostly because I think the feather fits better with the roundness & curves of the Braves' wordmarks, the tomahawk comes off as more-so of a 90's-00's design. I think the feather helps bring the identity into a more modern, minimalistic style.

Thanks!

 

On 5/24/2019 at 10:31 AM, MJD7 said:

Thanks! I'm gonna go ahead & give a full update to the Marlins, since I like how much cleaner it makes the set. Here are the updated uniforms:

 

 

The black alternate, BP, and fauxback would remain the same.

 

Also, here's another Turn Back the Clock option, possibly for in a few years when the Marlins have their next anniversary.

aVLfDhN.png

 

 

 

I know it was a while ago, but I'm LOVING the teal look.  If you're up for it, I'd love to see a full "alternate reality" set of your uniform updates in the teal/black/silver (with a teal alternate too)!  Thanks in advance!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, coco1997 said:

I actually think that navy and gold set is my favorite of them all. Looks great!

 

17 hours ago, NicDB said:

I think I like the navy better too, as long as it's paired with the glove and a proper athletic gold. With the Cubs wearing royal and the Cardinals emphasizing red, navy just feels like the color that's "theirs."

Thanks!

15 hours ago, rmc523 said:

I know I'm late to the party, but I wanted to say I like the updates you made.  And love that you made the blue one a true alternate and not a BP only jersey.  Seems like a massive mistake to relegate the most unique color to obscurity.

 

I know it was a while ago, but I'm LOVING the teal look.  If you're up for it, I'd love to see a full "alternate reality" set of your uniform updates in the teal/black/silver (with a teal alternate too)!  Thanks in advance!

Thank you! I completely agree about the blue alternate, that might possibly be the biggest disappointment of the new set. As for a full teal look, I'm sure I can show you that once I get through all the teams! I'm planning to show a few outtakes/alternate fauxback options, so that will fit nicely there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I missed the Marlins the first time around too, but you definitely righted a wrong there. That's how they should have excecuted those colors to actually look like Miami at night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now here are the Pittsburgh Pirates!

9vaumxF.pngDPoIuRt.pngvo5calO.pngUAThHnr.pngo9KP2n2.pngPGHyYJZ.png

  • The Pirates have the distinction of being the only team in MLB with sleeveless jerseys in this series, which is why I didn't go with a sleeveless design for the A's fauxbacks. It's one of the Pirates' most iconic looks, and sets them apart even further in the league as a classic uniform set.
  • The road has a black tint to it to create a menacing anthracite uniform.
  • The alternates are pretty run-of-the-mill, but the BP cap is a tribute to the Bucs' "Family" uniforms from the late 70's.
  • The Turn Back the Clock set goes back to the early 70's set, as the yellow cap is one of my favorites. The striping pattern on the uniform is derived from the socks.

That's pretty much it for the Buccos, any thoughts/suggestions are appreciated as always.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great job for this last few teams! I think Navy/Blue is the way to go for the Brewers, and the most logical path to follow. Georgeous work for the Pirates bringing back the sleeveless look!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/22/2019 at 2:54 AM, Victormrey said:

Great job for this last few teams! I think Navy/Blue is the way to go for the Brewers, and the most logical path to follow. Gorgeous work for the Pirates bringing back the sleeveless look!

Thanks!

 

Any more comments on the Pirates, or any of the other recent teams?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alright well, here are the Cardinals:

Oms5d7p.png0OIiaMt.pngdPHi4D5.pnguPVvtI5.pngtD3uzSy.png

For the alternate take, I went in a bit of an unconventional direction. Rather than going with the easy brown & red combo, I decided to replace navy with a dark purple, inspired by an album cover of an artist from the St. Louis area. The away has a purple tint as well. The overall result is a look that keeps the Cardinals iconic identity mostly intact while hopefully adding a bit of a unique twist.

IY35tzx.pngun8Ymn0.pngb6SdMy1.pngA2GkGOX.png

 

I'd love to hear what anybody thinks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As you said, the Cardinals have one of those timeless identities which doesn't have to be changed. I love the "St. Louis" wordmark for the road uni.

As for the Red/Purple combination, I think the colours looks gorgeous, specially with the shades you've chosen!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, it's been a while since I last posted. Let's catch up!

 

I like both of the latest Marlins and Braves updates. You've made the best of a bad situation with the Marlins' scripts, while the slight green is a good touch.

 

Phillies - Both the red/powder and maroon/powder are excellent refinements of the current set. I like the second red/powder variant of the Sunday uniform.

 

Nationals - Thanks for the shout-out! I like your navy/red balance throughout the set, along with the BP and Expos-style alternates. The navy/gold is also a nice touch! My only real criticism is with the slab-serif numbers. I'd suggest a block with serifs font instead. Other than that, well done.

 

Cubs - Thanks again. The little tweaks really improve the set, while the updated C-bear is fantastic. While royal/gold is pretty good, I really like that brown/kelly set! Good work.

 

Reds - Multi-red is a fantastic idea, especially with the brighter primary shade! The rose-tinted road uniform is surprisingly effective, while the retro set is also fantastic. I also enjoy how you tweaked the "C-REDS" logo with the modern font. My one suggestion would be to feature Mr. Red on the sleeves. Nice work.

 

Brewers - I definitely like how you've adapted the current wordmarks for the royal/yellow color scheme, along with the patterned trim/caps. The retro set is definitely more to my taste, especially with the retro wordmark. Your navy-based variant is also fantastic and probably a bit better than the royal version. I'm curious, what would the patterned sleeve trim look like on the navy/yellow design.

 

Pirates - The vests and the alternates are a fantastic touch! Using the sock-style stripes on the BP and the retro set is pretty effective. I'd be happy for you to use my number font design for the Pirates (the Tampa Bay variant), while also employing the alternate cap with the yellow uniform. Well done!

 

Cardinals - Both variants are fantastic! The first one makes fantastic use of the light blue-tinted road uniform, alongside the retro-style uniform and the red "StL" jersey. I'm curious about what the full number font would look like. The purple shade is excellent for the variation, but I'd recommend keeping the light blue tint (the purple is best saved for Colorado). I like it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/29/2019 at 3:30 AM, Victormrey said:

As you said, the Cardinals have one of those timeless identities which doesn't have to be changed. I love the "St. Louis" wordmark for the road uni.

As for the Red/Purple combination, I think the colours looks gorgeous, specially with the shades you've chosen!

Thank you very much!

On 6/29/2019 at 6:09 AM, SFGiants58 said:

Well, it's been a while since I last posted. Let's catch up!

 

I like both of the latest Marlins and Braves updates. You've made the best of a bad situation with the Marlins' scripts, while the slight green is a good touch.

 

Phillies - Both the red/powder and maroon/powder are excellent refinements of the current set. I like the second red/powder variant of the Sunday uniform.

 

Nationals - Thanks for the shout-out! I like your navy/red balance throughout the set, along with the BP and Expos-style alternates. The navy/gold is also a nice touch! My only real criticism is with the slab-serif numbers. I'd suggest a block with serifs font instead. Other than that, well done.

 

Cubs - Thanks again. The little tweaks really improve the set, while the updated C-bear is fantastic. While royal/gold is pretty good, I really like that brown/kelly set! Good work.

 

Reds - Multi-red is a fantastic idea, especially with the brighter primary shade! The rose-tinted road uniform is surprisingly effective, while the retro set is also fantastic. I also enjoy how you tweaked the "C-REDS" logo with the modern font. My one suggestion would be to feature Mr. Red on the sleeves. Nice work.

 

Brewers - I definitely like how you've adapted the current wordmarks for the royal/yellow color scheme, along with the patterned trim/caps. The retro set is definitely more to my taste, especially with the retro wordmark. Your navy-based variant is also fantastic and probably a bit better than the royal version. I'm curious, what would the patterned sleeve trim look like on the navy/yellow design.

 

Pirates - The vests and the alternates are a fantastic touch! Using the sock-style stripes on the BP and the retro set is pretty effective. I'd be happy for you to use my number font design for the Pirates (the Tampa Bay variant), while also employing the alternate cap with the yellow uniform. Well done!

 

Cardinals - Both variants are fantastic! The first one makes fantastic use of the light blue-tinted road uniform, alongside the retro-style uniform and the red "StL" jersey. I'm curious about what the full number font would look like. The purple shade is excellent for the variation, but I'd recommend keeping the light blue tint (the purple is best saved for Colorado). I like it!

I really appreciate all the feedback!

 

I edited the original post on the Reds to feature Mr. Red, which is a nice upgrade.

 

For the Brewers, here's a look at the patterned sleeve with the navy/yellow design.

2AzLzh8.pngpenR8bp.pngecAec6E.pngnwIeEd5.png

I probably like the throwback stripes better, but this look isn't bad either.

 

Also, here's my idea of what I would do if I decided to run with navy/yellow, I would go back to the Brewers' old striping and the script wordmarks.

lToJEkG.png3xDDRCQ.png26Derl0.pngah1DOK0.png

 

You're probably right that the light purple doesn't work for the Cardinals. I'm going to leave it as it is, just because switching to light blue would make it not much different than the main set.

On 6/29/2019 at 9:07 AM, coco1997 said:

Nice job on the Pirates and the Cards! I don't think I have anything to say that hasn't already been said by @SFGiants58 and @Victormrey. Keep up the great work!

Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After a little bit of a break, we start off the final division with the Arizona Diamondbacks!

NcC67Gz.pngMOBCYkU.pngGdykR4q.pngqGOO4Xy.pngWrFj05D.png7qBTgPX.png

  • Although I'd personally prefer the Diamondbacks to embrace the brick red more, they very clearly seem to be promoting the black, along with turquoise. I decided to try and run with that this time around, with sand being completely dropped from the identity. Off-white comes back in its place as the base for the home uniform, along with acting as an accent color on the brick red alternate and BP jersey. The away has more of a sand-tint to it as opposed to going with a full-on sand road uniform.
  • The main striping pattern is based off of the 90's alternates. The Turn Back the Clock is also based off of the purple version of those uniforms.
  • The brick elements of the 2nd alternate (cap, belt, & socks) could be worn with the main home & away uniforms on occasion. In fact, I would personally hope that they’d do it often.

I think that's about it, hopefully this still helps the Diamondbacks to be a modern, cutting edge team while also still having a clean, concise identity that doesn't try to do too much. Let me know what you think!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You make Arizona look great!!! Fantastic series, brother.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love that you brought back cream for the home set! Overall this is a big improvement over their current look that nevertheless doesn't deviate too far from what they wear now. 

 

My only nitpick would be to make the socks on the fauxback purple instead of black. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.