MLB x NIKE [Outtakes: Alternate Color Schemes (Series Complete)]

MJD7

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/3/2019 at 1:41 PM, BellaSpurs said:

I feel like a cursive script and a monogram would make it a more traditional set, also removing the white Sox inspired chest and arm stripes and reducing it to a more common size, maybe adding a headspoon piping

I don't really have a good cursive baseball font to use, but I tried to do what I could to match your ideas, and here's what I came up with:

vDRdk2a.png

I added the lion on the front, sort of like the Blue Jays, for that extra flair. This uniform wouldn't be a bad option for the fauxback set, I don't think.

Next up in the expansion section of the series will be Indianapolis!

OE8sLO8.pngdZIAMCG.pngtTXI2kh.pngcKyp2ho.png1TeXpBp.png

• I decided to go with Blues as the team name, as it has history in MLB and would allow the team to act as a (probable) American League counterpart to the Reds. I went with royal and powder blue for the scheme, as it would be missing from the league with the Royals not using it beyond their throwback.
  • The script & cap logo come from @Carolingian Steamroller's wonderful Indianapolis Clowns Negro Leagues set, with the stripes being inspired by the Clowns' away uniform, which interestingly looks like a pair of "I"s if one looks at it correctly. The fauxback is more directly inspired by this 1952 uniform.
  • The BP jersey is based off of the 1878 Indianapolis Blues set.

I'd love to hear your thoughts, C+C is great as always!

Les Expos: I really like seeing the Whips’ logo pop up here, along with the “Montréal” script and more pinwheel hat action. My one recommendation would be to invert the lettering on the red alternate or make the outlines thicker for legibility. The Rays-style color scheme is a good look, but I’m not sure it’d fly in Montréal. Nice work!

Lions: I like both the traditional update and the modern primary design! Thanks for the shoutout with the dark bluish gray, which works well with the red and yellow-gold. 

Blues: The script and modernized T-bars are fantastic, while the color scheme and font choice complete the design. I like it a lot more than the Arrows, that’s for sure. Good work.

I agree with pretty much everything that's already been said. Great use of the double blue, and the t-bars and scripts do an excellent job invoking an old school feel. 

I wonder if you ever considered using a "Blues" script on at least one of the uniform options. I'd also think about maybe going with a brighter, bolder sky blue as the secondary color so it pops a bit stronger off the road uniform,

On 7/30/2019 at 5:59 PM, MJD7 said:

Moving on in expansion with the much-beloved Expos!

m4eyRsY.pngc1m1fcy.png

• yEz5FL0.pngv54CjH9.png

I'd love to hear what you all think about Montreal!

Question - was the fleur-de-lis intended to be the accent on the e in Montréal? 

If it wasn't, I'd move it slightly more over top of the "e" so that it becomes the accent, if it was, I still think it should be more over the e.

On 8/6/2019 at 12:47 PM, Carolingian Steamroller said:

I really like that number font and how it blends with the jersey script. Its especially good on the fauxback. 

Thanks!

13 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Les Expos: I really like seeing the Whips’ logo pop up here, along with the “Montréal” script and more pinwheel hat action. My one recommendation would be to invert the lettering on the red alternate or make the outlines thicker for legibility. The Rays-style color scheme is a good look, but I’m not sure it’d fly in Montréal. Nice work!

Lions: I like both the traditional update and the modern primary design! Thanks for the shoutout with the dark bluish gray, which works well with the red and yellow-gold. 

Blues: The script and modernized T-bars are fantastic, while the color scheme and font choice complete the design. I like it a lot more than the Arrows, that’s for sure. Good work.

Thank you! Here's a look at an inverted version of the red alt:

7GnLvNZ.png

I wanted to make the letters blue to separate it from the red & distinguish them from the Phillies, but this is probably an improvement.

13 hours ago, JG36 said:

I really do like the script, but I can’t help seeing a J on the alternate, and now I can’t unsee it.

I had the same issue to be honest, and I wasn't too big on the blue alternate because of it. Hopefully you'll like the update I have below better.

8 hours ago, coco1997 said:

I agree with pretty much everything that's already been said. Great use of the double blue, and the t-bars and scripts do an excellent job invoking an old school feel. 

I wonder if you ever considered using a "Blues" script on at least one of the uniform options. I'd also think about maybe going with a brighter, bolder sky blue as the secondary color so it pops a bit stronger off the road uniform,

Thank you! I did really want to use a "Blues" script (or anything to switch up from "Indy," really), but I didn't find one that fit in my searching. Thanks to the one you sent to me though (which actually works pretty perfectly), we can try something new with the blue alternate:

olsn0K0.png

I also tried a version with an old St. Louis Blues wordmark:

TdpwHFq.png

I think either would be an improvement.

While we're at it, here's an alternate version of the home uniform, based more on this Clowns set.

thOrjLY.png

7 hours ago, rmc523 said:

Question - was the fleur-de-lis intended to be the accent on the e in Montréal? 

If it wasn't, I'd move it slightly more over top of the "e" so that it becomes the accent, if it was, I still think it should be more over the e.

I believe it is intended to be an accent. I moved it over more on top of the "e," and also tweaked the socks on the main away set, as well as the color of the fleur-de-lis on the alternate take.

4 hours ago, heavybassX said:

It's like the Colts except they're the Blues.

Yep, it would be a good way to provide unity across the city's brands, sort of as Pittsburgh does it.

Thanks for the feedback everybody!

Moving out west in expansion with Las Vegas!

FJlxr5C.pnge63XDeF.pngMKIHAwh.pngz5NipfF.pngXejpOZC.png

• The name Aces, although probably too on the nose for a Vegas team, brought about some fun design experiments. This time around however, I decided to go with the newly established Aviators name. The name and logo set offered some fun design opportunities, while still being a bit more "professional." I switched up the color scheme a bit to distinguish from the Astros, with navy being replaced by black, and red & yellow taking prominence over orange in the overall scheme, creating a look that feels much more "Vegas." A big inspiration for this color choice was also the Utah Jazz City Edition uniform, of course.
  • The striping pattern on the main set is inspired by this logo, and aviation logos in general. The gradient effect of the stripes brings the color scheme in more, while also playing off of the visor in the primary logo. "Aviators" and "Las Vegas" also both conveniently have 8 letters, so every 2 letters are made a different warm shade to bring in that same gradient effect.
  • The away is a dark gray to bring in that color from the primary logo. The horizontal stripes on the pants are inspired by @bkknight95's Atlanta Braves Nike set.
  • The Aviators "LV" logo is one of my favorites in the Minor Leagues, so it receives the spotlight on the black alternate.
  • The Turn Back the Clock set is based on this Las Vegas Stars uniform, as modeled by John Kruk. My former Aces set makes a bit of influence here with the vertical stripes on the socks. Yellow is integrated into the set through the stripes and front number.

Let me know what you think!

5 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

Moving out west in expansion with Las Vegas!

FJlxr5C.pnge63XDeF.pngMKIHAwh.pngz5NipfF.pngXejpOZC.png

• The name Aces, although probably too on the nose for a Vegas team, brought about some fun design experiments. This time around however, I decided to go with the newly established Aviators name. The name and logo set offered some fun design opportunities, while still being a bit more "professional." I switched up the color scheme a bit to distinguish from the Astros, with navy being replaced by black, and red & yellow taking prominence over orange in the overall scheme, creating a look that feels much more "Vegas." A big inspiration for this color choice was also the Utah Jazz City Edition uniform, of course.
  • The striping pattern on the main set is inspired by this logo, and aviation logos in general. The gradient effect of the stripes brings the color scheme in more, while also playing off of the visor in the primary logo. "Aviators" and "Las Vegas" also both conveniently have 8 letters, so every 2 letters are made a different warm shade to bring in that same gradient effect.
  • The away is a dark gray to bring in that color from the primary logo. The horizontal stripes on the pants are inspired by @bkknight95's Atlanta Braves Nike set.
  • The Aviators "LV" logo is one of my favorites in the Minor Leagues, so it receives the spotlight on the black alternate.
  • The Turn Back the Clock set is based on this Las Vegas Stars uniform, as modeled by John Kruk. My former Aces set makes a bit of influence here with the vertical stripes on the socks. Yellow is integrated into the set through the stripes and front number.

Let me know what you think!

OOOOH. I'm a big, big fan!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Very cool! 

A few small suggestions:

- How would the home and alt look with a white front paneled cap?

- On the fauxback, I’d make the outline under the wordmark white with a black outline.

Keep up the great work. Looking forward to more teams!

Hmm.  It's too Astros for me.  I honestly initially thought it was some sort of Astros alternate scheme before I saw the Vegas branding.  I'm also not getting the Vegas/Aviators connection......though after reading the minor league team is owned by the Howard Hughes Corp, I get why you went with that, but still don't understand the Hughes (and therefore Aviators) connection to Vegas - did he live there or something?

4 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

after reading the minor league team is owned by the Howard Hughes Corp, I get why you went with that, but still don't understand the Hughes (and therefore Aviators) connection to Vegas - did he live there or something?

Yes he did, and he owned the Desert Inn hotel on the Strip.

Archived