MLB x NIKE [Outtakes: Alternate Color Schemes (Series Complete)]

MJD7

On 3/29/2019 at 7:24 PM, MJWalker45 said:

Possibly something similar to the Brewers number font or the Bruins?

Personally, I think both of those wouldn't work quite as well with the Tigers as the Old English font does. I know it might be a little bit out there for the team, but I still think the numbers are fairly readable.

On 3/29/2019 at 10:34 PM, MCM0313 said:

I love the throwback. I think white caps are generally underrated and way underutilized.

I'm also glad that you kept the script on the road uniform (although I personally like the white outline), but that script looks very small here. I doubt it's solely because of the outline removal, as that outline isn't that big - but I'm not sure what exactly it is...it just looks like a too-small script.

The home looks surprisingly okay without the piping.

Thank you. I agree about the underutilization of white caps, which is why you'll see at least a few more of them over the course of this series🤔

As for the road uniform, I don't mind the white outline as much as most people do, I just agree that it's unnecessary. It's interesting that you mention the wordmark being too small, I never would have noticed that. It might be because of the angle, because the script is a tough one to fit properly into the space. Is this a bit better, though?

E4Z0oyI.png

1 hour ago, Midwest_surfer said:

I’m a cards fan but that royals unit is fire. I’d see what continuing the sleeve stripe down the side of the pants would do but it looks awesome like it is.

Thanks. I decided to leave the pants stripes plain because they wouldn't be able to match the sleeves, not being on a blue background. I think the gold stripes would look especially rough on the powder-tinted road. Here's a look at it on the home jersey, though:

6QmZbu9.png

32 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

Just curious, how would the Royals look in purple and gold?

Not bad at all! I've always loved this color scheme for them:

jzrgqFe.pngIvCjUxb.pngh4wKCSG.png

I gave the road a purple-ish tint to reflect the new scheme.

Any more comments on the Indians, Tigers, or Royals before we finish the Central with the Twins?

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, MJD7 said:

Personally, I think both of those wouldn't work quite as well with the Tigers as the Old English font does. I know it might be a little bit out there for the team, but I still think the numbers are fairly readable.

Thank you. I agree about the underutilization of white caps, which is why you'll see at least a few more of them over the course of this series🤔

As for the road uniform, I don't mind the white outline as much as most people do, I just agree that it's unnecessary. It's interesting that you mention the wordmark being too small, I never would have noticed that. It might be because of the angle, because the script is a tough one to fit properly into the space. Is this a bit better, though?

E4Z0oyI.png

Thanks. I decided to leave the pants stripes plain because they wouldn't be able to match the sleeves, not being on a blue background. I think the gold stripes would look especially rough on the powder-tinted road. Here's a look at it on the home jersey, though:

6QmZbu9.png

Any more comments on the Indians, Tigers, or Royals before we finish the Central with the Twins?

The Tigers' script looks better now, yes. :)

2 hours ago, MJD7 said:

E4Z0oyI.png

6QmZbu9.png

I like both Royals concepts, but I'm not sold on the contrasting sleeves. To me it doesn't look good. The font and dropshadow on the numbers is a nice touch, definetly more unique than a standard block.

Finishing up the AL Central, we have the Minnesota Twins!

QDtjndQ.pngkcGbgwo.pngeKWszP2.pngfdppIwl.pngQhVvqGw.png

• My team was the inspiration for the tinted roads throughout the series, as doing so allowed me to effectively have a "gold-tinted" home (cream) and a powder-blue-tinted away, as a better way to integrate the two colors into the scheme than with dropshadows. Gold & powder blue also make up the T and C of the cap (with the logo designed by @SFGiants58, thanks to him for allowing me to use it), allowing for the C to stand out as much as the T. There is not a trace of white in the set, as everywhere white would be, cream is put in its place.
  • The main set is effectively a combination of all the different eras of Twins history: the off-white is inspired by the original 60's uniforms, the striping and powder blue is inspired by the 70's uniforms, the wordmark references the World Series set, and the navy coloring of the wordmarks and usage of gold reflects the modern set.
  • The cream-front-paneled cap is inspired by the 70's batting helmets, which were commemorated in the 2014 All-Star Game.
  • The number font is a rounded version of MLB's Standard Block, with the notches intended to match the main wordmark.
  • The two red stripes on the sock represent the Twin Cities, with the light blue stripe running between them reflecting the Mississippi River.
  • The Turn Back the Clock design is inspired by @seasaltvanilla's light blue Twins jersey concept, which I absolutely love. Thanks to him for allowing me to use the design as reference. Like the team did with their new navy home alternate uniforms, this jersey utilizes the old "Twins" script.

For the alternate take, I decided to go in a different direction than I have in the past. More and more over time, I've actually begun to view red as the color that's the most unnecessary in the Twins overall scheme. For this set, the dropshadows make a comeback, and I decided to go with a navy, powder blue, and kasota gold scheme, similar to UCLA. Granted, this set would only be used if the Royals and the Rays had different color schemes. In this set, light blue would represent Minneapolis, and gold would represent St. Paul. For the away, I decided to break the rules a little bit and go with a full powder blue road, since there wasn't really any other option.

jP36rMw.pngVkmJKkF.png9BXPP7Y.pngNsMkEiO.png7KUk9kO.png

I'd love to hear your thoughts, C+C is appreciated as always!

Awesome job on the Twins! The home set is a great combination of eras, and the fauxback works really well. 

One concern I have with the BP set is the Minnie & Paulie logo is so detailed, it might look too busy on the front of a jersey. Any thought to trying out the Twins' Players' Weekend cap logo?

Not too sold on the alternate take...I think it needs another brighter color in the mix. Still, great work! 

On 4/4/2019 at 1:39 PM, Victormrey said:

The Royals designs with purple are gold are a thing of beauty 😍 Great work for the Twins, I prefer the set with their current colours.

Thanks! Yea, I probably prefer the set with the current colors overall too, as it gives it a little bit of that extra "pop."

On 4/4/2019 at 2:04 PM, coco1997 said:

Awesome job on the Twins! The home set is a great combination of eras, and the fauxback works really well. 

One concern I have with the BP set is the Minnie & Paulie logo is so detailed, it might look too busy on the front of a jersey. Any thought to trying out the Twins' Players' Weekend cap logo?

Not too sold on the alternate take...I think it needs another brighter color in the mix. Still, great work! 

Thank you! I can see how the Minnie & Paul might be seen as a bit detailed, that's part of why having the logo so big would help. It works as a sleeve patch, so I imagine it would work as a main jersey logo. I've never liked that Players' Weekend logo, but here's a look at a BP with just the "TC" logo though, just for measure:

SeysuzH.png

As for the alternate take, I can see what you're saying. I like that it gives a "cooler" vibe to the set, but I can try some other things out possibly.

Cleveland: I like going for the vintage aesthetic with the slab-serif fonts, especially in the case of the alternates and road uniform. I like both navy/maroon and brown/red, with preference for navy/maroon. My one complaint is that you kept the modern cursive home script. A new design, one inspired by the 1940s/50s scripts, would be fantastic here. Heck, even a rotated version of the 1994-present design would be nice. Also, have you thought about maroon/orange? Good work.

Tigers: The tiger stripes are fantastic here, as is the no-orange/orange split. I like the throwback cap as well. The number font, while unique, isn't entirely to my liking. Still, that's a matter of personal preference.

Royals: The raglan sleeves and stripes make for a good look, as does the drop shadow and the addition of the crown. I also like the decision to revive the 1969-01 shield on the batting practice jersey and the modern banner on the alternate (also, good that you chose gold over powder as the accent, as both gold and powder looks terrible). The powder blue fauxback is also fantastic. I do wonder what number font you'll use for the Nationals, since you used Albertus here (and I like it here). As a big proponent of purple and yellow-gold for the Royals, I really like your interpretation. Well done!

Twins: Thanks for the shout-out for my "TC" design! I think it looks fantastic in contrasting colors, especially the powder/off-white/red colorway! The color distribution and number font are both fantastic, as is the thick striping on the sleeves, pants, and socks. My one issue with the set is that there should be a tiny bit of powder in the design (maybe as an inner highlight in the wordmark or as drop shadow). The light blue jersey is also a good touch. Your light blue/navy/gold alternate set is also fantastic, especially in the way that the outline shapes the "TC" intersection. I do wonder, would dark green/light blue/metallic gold also work? Nice work.

On 4/7/2019 at 6:12 PM, SFGiants58 said:

Cleveland: I like going for the vintage aesthetic with the slab-serif fonts, especially in the case of the alternates and road uniform. I like both navy/maroon and brown/red, with preference for navy/maroon. My one complaint is that you kept the modern cursive home script. A new design, one inspired by the 1940s/50s scripts, would be fantastic here. Heck, even a rotated version of the 1994-present design would be nice. Also, have you thought about maroon/orange? Good work.

Tigers: The tiger stripes are fantastic here, as is the no-orange/orange split. I like the throwback cap as well. The number font, while unique, isn't entirely to my liking. Still, that's a matter of personal preference.

Royals: The raglan sleeves and stripes make for a good look, as does the drop shadow and the addition of the crown. I also like the decision to revive the 1969-01 shield on the batting practice jersey and the modern banner on the alternate (also, good that you chose gold over powder as the accent, as both gold and powder looks terrible). The powder blue fauxback is also fantastic. I do wonder what number font you'll use for the Nationals, since you used Albertus here (and I like it here). As a big proponent of purple and yellow-gold for the Royals, I really like your interpretation. Well done!

Twins: Thanks for the shout-out for my "TC" design! I think it looks fantastic in contrasting colors, especially the powder/off-white/red colorway! The color distribution and number font are both fantastic, as is the thick striping on the sleeves, pants, and socks. My one issue with the set is that there should be a tiny bit of powder in the design (maybe as an inner highlight in the wordmark or as drop shadow). The light blue jersey is also a good touch. Your light blue/navy/gold alternate set is also fantastic, especially in the way that the outline shapes the "TC" intersection. I do wonder, would dark green/light blue/metallic gold also work? Nice work.

Thank you for the feedback! I wouldn't want to use the throwback scripts for the team, although they add to the vintage look, both of those wordmarks just look a little clunky to me to work in the modern day. I tried a rotated version of the current wordmark, though it didn't work out quite as well as I had anticipated:

MM2947w.png

I think it sort of clashes with the Nike swoosh now, where before the two worked well together.

I had not thought of maroon & orange before, though I do like it quite a lot:

xhLzV8Z.pngBcU8iuq.png4h7YwA3.pngSVlWQPo.pngkaiW6qN.png

I did think about adding a little bit of powder blue in the sleeve stripes, but the colors just didn't interact well for me. I also don't think forest green, powder blue, and gold all worked together (it gave off too much of a Milwaukee Bucks feeling for my liking), but I think forest and powder on their own did, as you'll see below:

6 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

I love those Twins designs!

Only minor tweak would be to see red replace powder blue in the gold-centric design. 

Thank you! While I have the chance, here are some other color options I considered for the Twins, including your suggestion:

99BIgnZ.pngAmDqFce.pngq4naXrV.pngbQNyGMN.pngSIw1M41.png

Although these designs were fun to try out, I think I ultimately still prefer the navy, powder blue, & gold set, as it stays the closest to the original color scheme, while also looking unique, which was a goal of mine within the parameters of this series.

Thanks again for the comments guys, they are always truly appreciated.

Lifting off in the AL West, we have the Houston Astros!

93c32hC.pngR5LcQuw.pngmoxvCdi.png9rKDtTH.pngAcl9iOi.pngKnmqn2s.png

• Orange becomes the primary color of the team, to distinguish from the Tigers and establish a unique identity in the league.
  • I sort of combined the 70’s tequila sunrise horizontal stripes with the racing stripes of the 80’s to try and create a unique, modern take on the look (sort of like the navy alternate) that cleans it up a bit. A single stripe of different colors races from the top of the sleeve to the bottom of the pants. I also used the tequila sunrise shooting star design from @SFGiants58‘s Astros set, as well as the sock pattern, which seemed to complete the identity. Thanks to him for allowing me to use those elements.
  • The away has a dusted tint to it, sort of similar to the old Astros’ road uniforms
  • The BP design references the tequila sunrise more directly, and the Turn Back the Clock design was fairly obvious, going all-in on the old 70’s uniform.

Let me know what you all think!

Astros look dope! A couple suggestions that I've wanted to see on Astros concepts for a while: Have you ever tried inverting the star and H colors on the hat? Stars aren't blue, dangit! Also, I really like the shooting star logo, so including that on the hats would help the unique identity. 

I love pretty much everything you've done with the Astros here! The away with the sandy gray tint is especially nice.

The only thing that's not quite working for me is the logo on the BP top. The thick navy outline around the star looks a bit awkward. Maybe try out the roundel from the cap on the jersey?

On 4/12/2019 at 8:03 PM, luketheduke03 said:

Astros look dope! A couple suggestions that I've wanted to see on Astros concepts for a while: Have you ever tried inverting the star and H colors on the hat? Stars aren't blue, dangit! Also, I really like the shooting star logo, so including that on the hats would help the unique identity. 

Thanks! I think the reason the colors aren't inverted is so that the H can appear to stand in front of the star, which acts sort of as a "shadow" design-wise (which I admit, is a bit ironic). If the colors were flipped, the H would fade into the background. As for the shooting star logo, I like it being reserved to the jersey & sock pattern.

On 4/14/2019 at 7:35 PM, Carolingian Steamroller said:

This is one of the best orange-centric Astros concepts out there. 

I really the home uniform in particular. Great job making the top half reverse-symmetrical to the bottom half. It really helps cure the change from jersey to pants. The BP with the big star in the center is just inspired work. 

Thank you very much! I knew I wanted to make them orange-centric this time around, and give them a more modern take than they eventually went with in their 2013 rebrand. Hopefully the tequila stripe accomplishes that.

On 4/14/2019 at 2:08 PM, coco1997 said:

I love pretty much everything you've done with the Astros here! The away with the sandy gray tint is especially nice.

The only thing that's not quite working for me is the logo on the BP top. The thick navy outline around the star looks a bit awkward. Maybe try out the roundel from the cap on the jersey?

Thank you!

And you make a fair point about the BP:

s17M8cR.png

I like it! Great suggestion. Reminds me of the old tequila sunrise prototype.

Fittingly for this Holy Week, now we have the Angels!

jGzdXel.pngJ28h5FA.pngcLfhSVK.pngQOs14FC.pngztdhYSB.png

• Although they are still technically a red & navy team, I minimized the navy as much as possible, and brought athletic gold back into the scheme to pair nicely with the red. 
  • Halos adorn the hats and UCLA stripes wrap around the sleeves, inspired by the PCL Angels as well as @Lights Out's and @SFGiants58's takes on them.
  • As I did in my last series, I removed the Western-styled serifs from the wordmarks and numbers. The away has a periwinkle tint to it, inspired by the Disney-era uniforms.
  • The Turn Back the Clock design is inspired by the Halos' original more navy-centric color scheme, as well as the contrasting sleeve design I suggested in @SFGiants58's Project 32 Angels concept.

Part II showcases the scheme I was originally planning to go with for the Angels; this set focuses on the darker red shade the Angels use, with athletic gold & periwinkle being used as accents throughout the set. Everything else stays basically the same.

BTB5UJd.png8hvhdb4.pngHHnylO9.png

I'd love to hear what you all think!

Archived