NBA 2019 City Jersey Concepts - Last one - Wolves updated!

Hoopskid

These are wicked good.  The whole set so far.   There’s not a bad one in the bunch.  As a Lakers fan, I love the ridiculousness of that concept.  My favorites so far are Toronto, Orlando, Indiana, Denver, and Sacramento, for some truly original ideas but staying within the brand in a strong way.  I also love your take on the Suns with those colors (I agree with the comment about the mountains needing to be sharper), and I love the Hawks one, but think you should go back to the ridiculous Volt coloring.  The blue and green one actually is way more aesthetically pleasing, and actually complements the piping better, but as the other commenter says, the volt one is just SO NBA 2020 that even though it doesn’t look as good, it’s actually more perfect, lol.

oh, the Clippers one is great, and works in all of those colors (lol, the black one’s font) but for whatever reason, I think the nautical flags would work better either on just one side of the shorts, or a wider stripe.

And, I love love love the Golden State idea. I’m wondering though if you matched the colors even more to the flag how that would look?  Like with the text in black, and the number in a two tone brown like the bear.  (The green grass patch would be fun but I know that won’t work). Too bad the Nike logo has to be where it is, since the red star there would be fun, but I guess the Swoosh is the star for the purpose of this design.  

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the comments to date!

Been a while since I last updated this thread - but hoping to finish off the series.

Next up is your.. DEEETRROIIIITTTT PISTONSSS

I had done a couple red uniforms with chrome accents and really went tried to pursue an automotive theme but after watching the last dance, I was inspired by the bad boy theme.

Idea was simple - make the Pistons look tough n strong but keep it clean...

I'm not sure if the Pistons trim having the thinner stripe was intended to represent a car racing stripe, but I always loved the simple beauty of those late 80's Pistons uniforms and obviously drew inspiration from that. Nothing too crazy but added a wordmark that's been floating around as the unofficial "bad boys" era logo.

49924982466_d0ee4442e3_c.jpgpistons 

• Hoopskid changed the title to NBA 2019 City Jersey Concepts - Bad Boy Pistons Update

Next up are the Brooklyn Nets!

I think the Nets have done a great job of establishing themselves as the bold black and white team in the league - and have added some nice pop with their last city uniforms. This one was inspired by the Brooklyn graffiti scene. I wanted something that would be flashy and have a 90s vibe to it but that could translate nicely across different apparel and sell, sell sell! All while looking sharp on the court.

The graffiti has some depth to it - there's references to the sky line, area codes, Petrovic, triangles for nets, basketballs, jay z signature, Illuminati triangle :P etc

Kind of wild - wish I had better grafitti skills but hopefully the intent comes through.

49932479411_76a55e56ac_c.jpgnetscity3 

Also an update on where I sit to date - almost there!

49932806612_c04cf80536_c.jpgcityupdate

• Hoopskid changed the title to NBA 2019 City Jersey Concepts - Bad Boy Pistons & Nets Update
On 11/16/2019 at 7:17 PM, Hoopskid said:

Next up is Chicago!

I actually really like the GFGS uniform they had in 2015 (minus the sleeves).

I wanted to take a break from the sky blue so that it's not overused. I did do several concepts with the sky blue and actually liked them but decided to keep it simple with light grey, white, red. 

I also made a graphic of the jerseys done to date. Thoughts?

49076111956_1f8bc39c21_o.pngbullscity2 

49076183946_56ce9243bc_o.pngCapture 

Oohh, I like this!

N3d5IIl.png

I'm late to this thread, but great work here for real. All of these feel like they capture the spirit of the "city" uniforms well and make some unexpected choices that are really cool. The Lakers and Nets are my favorite so far, just perfect and fun in the best kind of way. Keep it up!

spacer.png

Thanks for the praise and feedback!

Next up are the Wizards! I really wanted to avoid the patriotic theme for this set.
I tried going retro at first with some crazy designs inspired by the early Bullets days. I then tried to make something that had more magic, wizard, smoke, potions, etc vibe.

Finally I opted to go for a Cherry Blossom themed city uniform for the season. The first attempt featured a very detailed Cherry branch within the piping but ultimately I settled for something that's cleaner and draws inspiration from a Cherry blossom tree.

Simple and bold jersey front with "tree and branch" siding and of course touches of Cherry blossom.

Thoughts on this one?

49966881481_29ee2540eb_c.jpgwizardscity2 

• Hoopskid changed the title to NBA 2019 City Jersey Concepts - Cherry Blossom Wizards

The nets are unbelievable man as a nets fan I would kill for something like that. I like the original city ones we had like the black biggie version but the bed-stuy one is kinda corny to me. Not only does it perfectly represent that Brooklyn vibe, but it is so detailed and just 😍😍. DC isn't bad I saw somebody else recently post a DC cherry blossom concept that leaned more into the pink and the floral pattern, which I think I prefer more, but this is a pretty solid look. Also I really enjoy that Detroit one too. You've barely missed with any of your designs, the whole league looks great. Let's see the Knicks!

• 3 months later...

Took me a while to figure out what I wanted to do with the Knicks.

The theme here is "True to New York" nights. Vintage themed New York wordmarks and logos are found throughout the uniform.

Dark blue base so that the orange really pops.

Top of the jersey is intended to have a NY city lights reflecting through the sky at night vibe.

Idea was that the simple 2 color combo, bold striping, and lights detail could be expanded to other apparel and gear.

50316114851_55b8f14c64_o.pngknicks2 

Thoughts? 

On that note only 2 more teams to go!! :D

• Hoopskid changed the title to NBA 2019 City Jersey Concepts - Updated with the Knicks!
  • 2 weeks later...

Almost done! This next one is OKC and it was one of the funner and more challenging ones of the bunch.

I loved their city uniform from a couple years back that expanded the color palette and was Native American inspired.

I wanted to keep that going. If I get around to doing a full re brand, I think incorporating Native American design would look and work good for the Thunder.

For this city jersey, I wanted to use patters and lots of lines. 

I think the NBA now is very much oriented towards simple, 1 color trim (which does have it's pros) but having 4 different colors actually creates a nice effect and is pretty unique.

I wish I had a nice Nike shoe template to incorporate some of the jersey sides in, or a team towel :P

Couple other options I explored as well before settling on this one.

50350750267_ce7c8bf9e8_c.jpgokc4 

50349894423_9e594d15b3_w.jpgokcoptions 

• Hoopskid changed the title to NBA 2019 City Jersey Concepts - Updated with the OKC
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, this is it.. the last team.

Minnesota!

I think I went through like 10 different designs. At first I incorporated a very 90s large wolf across the front. 

Then I tried to mix in the KG era tree trim.

Finally, I decided to do something clean and unique and wanted something that had a forest/spearmint freshness to it.

The subtle striping is meant to symbolize a forest while also forming the letters M and W...

Hope you like it and have enjoyed this series.

That's a wrap, for now... I may go back and make association/icon sets to match these. Thanks for following along! 

50381954338_8f3f77009f_c.jpgwolvescity3 

50381955623_4888f6a220_b.jpgfinalcity 

• Hoopskid changed the title to NBA 2019 City Jersey Concepts - Last one - Wolves updated!

You should be proud sir, excellent work in completing a super professional series! Detroit and Toronto are my favorites, but they all feel real. Great job!

Lz5f6vZ.png

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8/      Check Out My: Little Big League MLB ProjectDribbble

Archived