DoctaC

BAA (Basketball Assoc. of America) | 1957 BAA Playoffs

Nice work on the Danes. Being a Steelers fan, I agree with Bella, if you want to use 'Burgh' then you'd probably have to go with 'PGH' which is the common abbreviation, though I'm not sure if it's 50's appropriate. 'PITT' would be much more common and widely accepted, especially for the era I'd imagine. You could potentially use 'Da Burgh' but again that might be more modern, not sure about era usage.

11 hours ago, BellaSpurs said:

No one calls Pittsburgh; Burgh. It’s not like Philadelphia and Phila

10 hours ago, Steelman said:

Nice work on the Danes. Being a Steelers fan, I agree with Bella, if you want to use 'Burgh' then you'd probably have to go with 'PGH' which is the common abbreviation, though I'm not sure if it's 50's appropriate. 'PITT' would be much more common and widely accepted, especially for the era I'd imagine. You could potentially use 'Da Burgh' but again that might be more modern, not sure about era usage.

Thanks for the feedback, maybe its a change they make a few years down the line. I agree "PGH" would be too modern, so I wouldn't want to use that yet. The reason I went with "BURGH" was because I didn't want them to seem too similar to Pitt uniforms.

Jacksonville Pumas - November 27, 1949

Jacksonville will be owned by Ken Richard, a Floridian Pool Mogul. His company is based in the Jacksonville are and supplies around 63% of the pools in Florida (both public and private).

Ken Richard is a very outdoor guy. He enjoys hunting and being in the wilderness. His favorite animal he's ever come in contact with is the Florida Panther, which he was almost killed by in 1947.

Jacksonville will play their games at Jacksonville Arena, which will hopefully be constructed by the beginning of the season.

The Logo

Similar to the Pacers in the real world. A P with a panther's paw as the hole.

jgos66I.png

The Uniforms

They use the paw from the team's logo on front with the number placed inside. Just a regular number on the back, and stripes running down the sides of the jersey and shorts. As well as a stripe along the hem of the shorts.

2HkBGuF.png

C&C is encouraged and appreciated! The next team will be up later today.

Despite being from Florida (Tampa), I think I'm going to root for the Yardbirds. This is still a good look, I just prefer Georgia's.

Washington Senators - November 29, 1949

Washington will be owned by the Washington Post.

They are named after, obviously, Washington D.C. status as the capital of the United States, and the place where the federal government resides.

Washington will play at Uline Arena (where the real-life Washington Capitols played in 1950).

The Logo

A simple W inside a basketball outline.

JZTG42I.png

The Uniforms

Both home and away use an arched "SENATORS" word mark. The logo is on the shorts along with a colored hem. There is a star above the number on the back, and a red stripe on top of both jerseys.

qYP5P6Z.png

Two More Clubs Unveil Identities - And Opening Night Game Announced

Opening Night Game Announced

On Friday, December 2, 1949 at 2:00pm, the BAA announced who would play in -- and where -- the first game in BAA history would take place...

The game has been scheduled for November 1, 1950, and will be between the Georgia Yardbirds and Columbus Cardinals at St. John Arena in Columbus, Ohio.

Louisville Thoroughbreds Unveil Identity - November 31, 1949

The Thoroughbreds will be owned by the company Churchill Downs Inc., who host and own the Kentucky Derby.

They are named after Louisville's historic thoroughbred horse race; the Kentucky Derby.

Louisville will play in the Churchill Downs Forum, built adjacent to the world-famous Churchill Downs horse racing track.

The Logo

A blue connected LT with a gold outline. The colors are from the Louisville city flag.

Z8BVxo7.png

The Uniforms

Simple uniforms with just a stripe down the sides. Both use the same LT on the front (not connected unlike the team's logo). The LT and numbers are color-flipped on both uniforms.

D079wp4.png

Virginia (Richmond) Kings - Identity Unveiled on December 2, 1949

The Kings will be owned by Thomas Monroe, a rich Richmond businessman.

Virginia is known as the Kings due to their colonial history as a royal colony.

The Kings will play at the newly constructed Royal Arena, known as "The Castle."

The Logo

A gold and purple crown with a V in the center.

Kx5IyoX.png

The Uniforms

Both uniforms use the teams logo in place of a word mark. They use a side stripe on the shorts and a stripe at the tops of the jerseys as well.

RhYsKud.png

Final BAA Identity Unveiled - Nashville Bluegrass - December 2, 1949

Nashville is owned by Neil Oysterman, the CEO and founder of Oysterman Guitar Company. All the most popular country and rock musicians use Oysterman Guitars, and a lot of casual guitar players use them as well (They claim to supply 1/3 of all guitars around the globe).

They're names after country music, which is sometimes called "bluegrass" music.

The Bluegrass will play at Nashville Arena, which should be finished by opening tip next winter.

The Logo

A guitar colored with the 2 colors of Nashville's city flag.

BnhGI3e.png

The Uniforms

Both home and away use the Nashville script with a block number. These uniforms are one of the flashier sets in the league, as they have a string of music notes running along the bottoms of the shorts. Everything also has a drop shadow/outline combo.

9hmz1zL.png

That's the original 8 teams completed!

C&C is encouraged and appreciated! A season preview for the 1950-51 season should be up tomorrow morning, with the season results coming out in the evening.

20 minutes ago, DoctaC said:

Final BAA Identity Unveiled - Nashville Bluegrass - December 2, 1949

Nashville is owned by Neil Oysterman, the CEO and founder of Oysterman Guitar Company. All the most popular country and rock musicians use Oysterman Guitars, and a lot of casual guitar players use them as well (They claim to supply 1/3 of all guitars around the globe).

They're names after country music, which is sometimes called "bluegrass" music.

The Bluegrass will play at Nashville Arena, which should be finished by opening tip next winter.

The Logo

A guitar colored with the 2 colors of Nashville's city flag.

BnhGI3e.png

The Uniforms

Both home and away use the Nashville script with a block number. These uniforms are one of the flashier sets in the league, as they have a string of music notes running along the bottoms of the shorts. Everything also has a drop shadow/outline combo.

9hmz1zL.png

That's the original 8 teams completed! If you would like to show support to the thread and your favorite BAA team, I made a drop down for sigs for the teams on the main thread. The sigs use the team's logo, as well as the slogan I decided to give each team.

C&C is encouraged and appreciated! A season preview for the 1950-51 season should be up tomorrow morning, with the season results coming out in the evening.

Looks good to be honest. But a bit modern then retro. Would help if the music notes are removed from the shorts.

Keep the notes, i looks unique, but it does somewhat fit the era. If I had to change anything on Nashville's look, it would be the font for the numbers because they clash too much with the font of the "Nashville" script.

Keep the font, it ties the uniform together. I really love the Virginia Kings setup. I will be rooting for them.

The notes don’t really look the era, I think hold off for a decade or so. BTW I’ll root for Virginia until there’s a New England team.

17 hours ago, Matthew24 said:

Looks good to be honest. But a bit modern then retro. Would help if the music notes are removed from the shorts.

14 hours ago, TargetToad said:

Keep the notes, i looks unique, but it does somewhat fit the era. If I had to change anything on Nashville's look, it would be the font for the numbers because they clash too much with the font of the "Nashville" script.

4 hours ago, TheYellowWolfMC said:

Keep the font, it ties the uniform together. I really love the Virginia Kings setup. I will be rooting for them.

1 hour ago, JG36 said:

The notes don’t really look the era, I think hold off for a decade or so. BTW I’ll root for Virginia until there’s a New England team.

I think I'm going to keep the notes - without them the uniforms look very plain and boring, something a team associated with music shouldn't be I don't think. If I was going to remove them, they would return reasonably soon anyways.

2 minutes ago, DoctaC said:

I think I'm going to keep the notes - without them the uniforms look very plain and boring, something a team associated with music shouldn't be I don't think. If I was going to remove them, they would return reasonably soon anyways.

Good choice! You won't regret it!

1950-51 BAA Season Preview

Projected Standings

North

1. Columbus

2. Washington

3. Pittsburgh

4. Virginia

South

1. Georgia

2. Jacksonville

3. Nashville

4. Louisville

The top team from each division will play in the BAA Championship.

Key Players

Before the season began, there was a 6 round draft in order to fill up rosters (of 12 players) held at the BAA Headquarters in Columbus, Ohio. The final 6 spots on each team were signed as free agents. There was no salary cap, and owners could choose how much they were willing to spend.

1950 BAA Draft Order

1. Georgia

2. Columbus

3. Louisville

4. Washington

5. Jacksonville

6. Nashville

7. Pittsburgh

8. Virginia

5ZZnBz1.png

Columbus

The Cardinals are the favorites to win the BAA North Division this year, led by guard Kirk Koenig and center Julius Jackson. Both are young players who have promising careers ahead of them. The club decided to go with a young core surrounded by experienced veterans. Other than Koenig and Jackson, the Cardinals have just two players under the age of 27 (on a 12-man roster).

Pittsburgh

The Danes picked 7th in the inaugural BAA draft, but came out of it pretty successful. They went with a core of older players who they hope will be able to help them win right away. Look for Nate Samuel, the big forward to have a large impact for them, as well as sharpshooting guard Len Babson.

Virginia

The Kings will be led by floor general Carl Anderson, as well as high-flying forward Tom Rogers. They have a solid starting group, but a weak bench. Virginia's owner, Thomas Moore was reluctant to spend a lot of money when signing his final 6 players. He was quoted in the Richmond Times saying "Why spend money now if we can build a dynasty in the draft over the next few years?"

Washington

The Senators went with a win-now approach in the BAA Draft, as they were choosing in the middle (pick 4). 2 of the first 3 selections (Columbus & Louisville) were chosen for their long-term potential, allowing arguably the best player in the draft, 26 year old Sammy James to fall to them (James also struggled with ankle injuries in college). The Sens then went and chose Hal Lewis, a very skilled offensive forward, and look to play a two man game with him and James.

Georgia

The Yardbirds chose first overall, and chose who many thought was the top player in the draft - Bobby Dickinson. Dickinson is an elite floor general who also can score the ball, and has won his entire life. He won 2 state championships in high school, and two national championships in college with Oklahoma A&M. With their second selection they took Maxwell Smith, the 7-1 big man who was a freshman and sophomore during Oklahoma A&M's two championship runs alongside Bobby Dickinson.

Jacksonville

Jacksonville chose fifth in the draft, and followed a similar approach to Washington. Sharpshooting 6-7 forward Emmanuel Smith fell to them at 5, and then they took 6-11 big Olaf Olson in round 2. The Pumas were a club who's owner, Ken Richard, was willing to spend money in free agency. They went after height, and were able to sign a bench with an average height of 6-6.

Louisville

Despite picking 3rd in the draft this year, don't expect the Thoroughbreds to do a ton of damage this season. They're approach was preparing for the future. They drafted no one over the age of 25, and signed one player older than 26. Jerry Johnson, the 23 year old guard looks like a future star, and with 2 guard Reggie Jennings may have the best look for the future of any back court in the BAA.

Nashville

Nashville came out of this years draft looking out of sorts. They seemed to be choosing the best available players, and it left them with just one guard, 5 forwards after the draft. They were around the league average when it came to money spent in free agency, so they will have a solid bench. But, the question still remains who they will start at the other guard spot and who they have that can guard the 5.

C&C is encouraged and appreciated! If there is anything else you think I should've included in this post, please tell me. I have began work on the post for the 1950-51 season which I will hopefully have up tomorrow.

4 hours ago, TargetToad said:

Yard Birds in the West, Cardinals in the east for a high-flying inaugural BAA championship

Actually north and south, I made a typo

With Nashville, the notes do seem too modern, especially considering that at the time, long shorts weren't the style. Players would've had the shorter shorts, really making the notes look bad at the scale in which you have them. However, what could work in their place is the musical staff (five lines and four spaces) that the music notes are put on for sheet music.

5 lines on the bottom of the shorts would be more time appropriate, and the notes can always be added later.

1950-51 BAA Season

North

xy - Washington Senators: 28-6

Columbus Cardinals: 20-14

Pittsburgh Danes: 12-22

Virginia Royals: 2-32

South

x - Jacksonville Pumas: 25-9

Nashville Bluegrass: 24-10

Georgia Yardbirds: 18-16

Louisville Thoroughbreds: 7-27

x = Playoffs clinched

y = Home Court clinched

League Headlines

- The dynamic duo of Sammy James and Hal Lewis proved to be very successful for the Sens, who are set to play the Jacksonville Pumas in the inaugural BAA Championship.

- Georgia, a team many expected to win the South this year, struggled with injuries and only finished in 3rd.

- Despite, a 5-27 record, Louisville's young core showed they may have a promising future.

BAA MVP

Sammy James

22.1ppg

6.5apg

2.1spg

49% FG

Big Games

RWBpjxy.png          Cbmw75f.png

Georgia Yardbirds @ Columbus Cardinals

GEO: 15 - 16 - 10 - 22 - 12 - 11 - 12

COL: 14 - 14 - 17 - 18 - 12 - 11 - 16

The first game in BAA history was an exciting one, lasting 3 overtimes before a winner was determined. Kirk Koenig led the way for the Cardinals, scoring 26 points. In a losing effort, Bobby Dickinson scored 31 points for the Yardbirds.

Pittsburgh Danes @ Jacksonville Pumas

PIT: 24 - 21 - 14 - 12

JAC: 13 - 17 - 16 - 30

Coming into the final day of regular season games, Jacksonville sat at 24-9, and Nashville at 24-10. In order to make the BAA Championship, the Pumas had to defeat the red-hot Danes of Pittsburgh, who came into the game on a 7-game win streak. The Pumas got down early, and were losing 45-30 at halftime, before winning the second half 46-26 en route to a 76-71 victory, and BAA Championship appearance. Olaf Olson had 15 points, 17 rebounds, and 4 blocks for the Pumas, while Emmanuel Smith contributed 19 points. Nate Samuel had 22 points for the Danes.

UOL4kT7.png

1951 BAA Championship

JAC: 13 - 14 - 22 - 32

WAS: 20 - 25 - 22 - 21

Sammy James and the Sens came out firing, jumping to an 18 point halftime lead. Jacksonville's 4th quarter comeback came up short, and they lost 88-81. Crowning the Washington Senators as the first BAA Champions in history. Sammy James won Championship MVP, scoring 25 points to go along with 9 assists. Jacksonville was led by Emmanuel Smith, who scored 36 points. Olaf Olson had an off game scoring just 8 points.

C&C is encouraged and appreciated!

Did Pittsburgh take 2 of Louisville's games?  Everyone else has 34 games played ,but Pittsburgh's got 36 and Louisville 32