MLB 2020 by Carolingian Steamroller (Outtakes and Outtlaws 31/31)

Carolingian Steamroller

AL CENTRAL CLEVELAND SPIDERS

Alright, let's do this one more time.

This is the Cleveland American League baseball team. They were bitten by a radioactive spider and as of right now they are the one and only Cleveland Spiders.

Pretty sure that you know the rest. 

They've got a great block "C" logo, new scripts, and web-themed sleeve patch. The old fauxbacks had a great combination of soutached pants with unadorned jerseys that looked terrific with the all red color scheme. They also made great use of the cream base color. These uniforms take that stream to another level. Cream home uniforms with a single navy soutache on the pants and block lettering that matches the cap "C" and the numerals. Road uniforms also feature the block lettering but keep the red to navy switch of the current set. 

oeaWTHY.png

PBnA2G1.png

VvcMLaE.png

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These are all really good, thoughtful designs. I never really thought about how much better the Yankees jerseys would look with less bulky numbers until you did it, but it works really well. I love the use of green for the White Sox, it looks great on St. Pats Day, so why not incorporate it full time?  It would be a unique look in MLB, wish I had thought of it.

Also I appreciate your willingness to get a little crazy with colored uniforms. I love the blue one for the Blue Jays, looking forward to what you’ve got next.

So far you've got some classy stuff!

The Blue Jays with the powder blue away and the racing is really elegant. The concept is totally fine as is, but it could be cool to incorporate the Toronto flag T into the blue jersey's striping.

Chicago in black and green looks really cool! I really like that Chicago script. My only suggestion is to use the flying sock for all the jerseys.

That Cleveland concept is a good transition into the Spiders name, while keeping the look classic. Well-done. I feel like the sleeve logo could use some work; maybe add diagonal radial lines to further mimic a spider web? Also, the I in Spiders needs slab serifs.

Really clean stuff here!

Rays - I’m loving it! The font choice, the purple/yellow with gradient, and the unorthodox number style (which is a big improvement over the bubble letters) are all fantastic. My only suggestions would be to shrink the sock gradient, incorporate the ray logo, and utilize a “St. Pete” wordmark instead of a “Tampa” one, given that they play in St. Petersburg.

Yankees - I’m glad you picked the cap logo as the unifying design (even if it is a bit “sterile”) and the new road wordmark/number font is fantastic. My one suggestion would be to slightly thicken the “NY.”

Blue Jays - I’m a big fan of the racing stripes and faux-powder road uniform! My one recommendation would be to use white socks with blue stripes on the blue uniform.

White Sox - I didn’t think I’d like black/Kelly green, but I’m really enjoying it! I also like the choice to re-do the “Sox” outline, striping pattern (dominantly white socks) and use the block “Chicago” wordmark. I second @vtgco‘s suggestion to use the flying sock on all of the uniforms, since it’s such a fab design.

Spiders - I’m a big fan of the super-retro aesthetic of the font (the “I” does need slab serifs) and color flip! Nice work. I do wish the sleeve patch had better definition/separation between the “C” and the web, to avoid illegibility issues at small sizes. If the web doesn’t work, maybe incorporate the “C” onto a spider’s body?

So far, so good!

4 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Yankees - I’m glad you picked the cap logo as the unifying design (even if it is a bit “sterile”) and the new road wordmark/number font is fantastic. My one suggestion would be to slightly thicken the “NY.”

Sounds good! Here's a version with a thickened crest:

yutAwrO.png

Blue Jays - I’m a big fan of the racing stripes and faux-powder road uniform! My one recommendation would be to use white socks with blue stripes on the blue uniform.

5 hours ago, vtgco said:

The concept is totally fine as is, but it could be cool to incorporate the Toronto flag T into the blue jersey's striping.

So here's I've adapted the striping into the Toronto flag "T" by merging it with a headspoon, along with putting the same detail on the hip. White socks also added.

kiYG4sw.png

5 hours ago, vtgco said:

Chicago in black and green looks really cool! I really like that Chicago script. My only suggestion is to use the flying sock for all the jerseys.

White Sox - I didn’t think I’d like black/Kelly green, but I’m really enjoying it! I also like the choice to re-do the “Sox” outline, striping pattern (dominantly white socks) and use the block “Chicago” wordmark. I second @vtgco‘s suggestion to use the flying sock on all of the uniforms, since it’s such a fab design.

Here are versions with the sock patch on the road and black uniform. I think it looks pretty good with the road greys but I still prefer the S-o-x on the black jersey.

DUttqLl.png

1EGQCJO.png

5 hours ago, vtgco said:

I feel like the sleeve logo could use some work; maybe add diagonal radial lines to further mimic a spider web? Also, the I in Spiders needs slab serifs.

Spiders - I’m a big fan of the super-retro aesthetic of the font (the “I” does need slab serifs) and color flip! Nice work. I do wish the sleeve patch had better definition/separation between the “C” and the web, to avoid illegibility issues at small sizes. If the web doesn’t work, maybe incorporate the “C” onto a spider’s body?

I've tinkered around with a couple of different sleeve patches along with adding the serifs to the "I."

IcnlEk0.png

cDDpaBJ.png

Rays - I’m loving it! The font choice, the purple/yellow with gradient, and the unorthodox number style (which is a big improvement over the bubble letters) are all fantastic. My only suggestions would be to shrink the sock gradient, incorporate the ray logo, and utilize a “St. Pete” wordmark instead of a “Tampa” one, given that they play in St. Petersburg.

dORGYsd.png

yMt3bnU.png

NyBUT8J.png

hokPQbE.png

AL CENTRAL DETROIT TIGERS

Nothing too controversial with the Tigers. I think we can all agree Detroit has one of the great designs in baseball and there isn't too much to do besides sanding off the rough edges. First and foremost is fixing the Old English "D" scenario. As much as I understand the motive of the Tigers to want the same logo on the cap and the jersey but the cap logo is just way too airy and uniquely shaped to work on the jersey. It's the same reason why blowing it up in size on the cap doesn't quite work either. That logo took maximum benefit its small size on the cap through its negative space balancing out the compressed space. My solution to this problem is to try out something of a hybrid logo. Essentially this is just the 1917 logo with two backward flanges instead of one. I think it draws a nice balance between the lighter cap logo and heavier jersey logo. I've applied to both caps and home jersey. I've also dropped the extra white outline from the away jersey to free up the "Detroit" script. As a bonus, I've mocked up a Detroit Stars fauxback as a full time Sunday alternate. I don't see the Tigers ever going with a conventional third option so using the awesome Negro League throwbacks on Sundays would be a great way to break up the two uniform paradigm. 

C&C as always. Enjoy!

u7G6Wwh.png

2m5HlGA.png

0EKM060.png

The original designs you posted were already good, but the tweaked versions are even better!
I love the use of green for the White Sox, certainly unique. And that second Cleveland Spiders sleeve patch is gorgeous. Keep it up 😁

I LOVE that modified "D" logo. It really is the perfect compromise between the two versions of the Olde English "D" they've used in recent decades. 

This may be my OCD kicking but shouldn't the inside of the Stars jersey be white instead of navy?

9 hours ago, coco1997 said:

I LOVE that modified "D" logo. It really is the perfect compromise between the two versions of the Olde English "D" they've used in recent decades. 

This may be my OCD kicking but shouldn't the inside of the Stars jersey be white instead of navy?

No problem. I've also tinkered with the idea of using orange instead of red to make it a little more fauxback-y.

gNgrL7m.png

mp0ewX0.png

AL CENTRAL KANSAS CITY ROYALS

The Royals have a great look but I don't think its really meeting its full potential. It often just looks like Midwest Dodgers which could be doing a lot more. I went back to some of the early designs for the Royals which had some really nice soutache piping around the collar and bold Kansas City script to go with dusky blue road uniforms. I've added the twist of using thicker than normal piping on the collar, sleeves, and pants. I've also added a heat-shaped sleeve path design which invokes the Kansas City Monarchs which adding two royal features, a crown and a sash. For Sundays, I've envisioned using the crowned KC logo in a Monarchs style template with raglan sleeves and lots of gold trim. 

C&C as always. Enjoy!

E8fPS7s.png

TL7mX1M.png

rF8M188.png

fjSaSCo.png

Not feeling the Spiders...I think I'd want more design than the incredibly basic/bland stuff they currently use. I'm not sure taking the piping off would be an upgrade. The sleeve patch is cool. 

Love the Rays...I like it all, gradients and everything. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I’m very happy with the updates, especially the Rays! A little restraint with the sock gradient worked pretty well.

Tigers: I like you approach to unifying the “D” and the Detroit Stars fauxback (I can go with either red or orange).

Royals: I’m really enjoying the new Monarchs-inspired heart & sash logo, the striping pattern, and the Monarchs’ raglan sleeve/gold-heavy alternate. My one complaint is that I’d much prefer the less messy “Kansas City” script that the team currently uses.

spacer.png

Still, amazing work!

Archived