MLB 2020 by Carolingian Steamroller (Outtakes and Outtlaws 31/31)

Carolingian Steamroller

NL EAST PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES

I think it might be time to reckon with the fact that the red pinstripes are just not the Phillies best look. Especially with this year's decision to deepen the shade of blue, I think the Phillies should move away from their current scheme. The most likely result is going to be a revival of the maroon and powder blue palette but what if the Phillies kept the brighter red and darker blue but moved towards their 1940's throwbacks? What I've done here is switch the cream home and the pinstripes design, making the former the official home and the latter the Sunday alternate. In keeping with that spirit, I've also amped up the blue by recoloring the socks and baselayer on the cream uniform. The 1940's-1960's script is revived and cleaned up. I've also determined that there's no really good way to do a grey uniform for the Phillies, so royal blue becomes the new away tone. I like that the Phillies have sleeve numbers but I think they could be doing more. Just like the Flyers recent use of a keystone patch, the Liberty Bell becomes the new base for the sleeve number. 

This is a radical shift but I think it could work. 

C&C as always. Enjoy!

DgWhS0t.png

vG5FiT4.png

KeG0XG4.png

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The number mark doesn’t feel Phillies esque . Good work!

spacer.pngspacer.png

Im an isles,rangers,devils,Sabres,Yankees,Mets,Braves,hawks,knicks,nets,bills,giants,falcons,and jets fan. So?

I can't get over how great Bryce Harper looked in this uniform yesterday, so much so that it's started to make me think it should be the Phillies' primary home look...

bryce-harper-of-the-philadelphia-phillie

...and your home uniform concept only convinced me further. Great job! 

12 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

I can't get over how great Bryce Harper looked in this uniform yesterday, so much so that it's started to make me think it should be the Phillies' primary home look...

bryce-harper-of-the-philadelphia-phillie

...and your home uniform concept only convinced me further. Great job! 

Well that look is not without its problems:

1. Either the blue is too light or the red is too dark because the stripes sometimes look purple. 

2. It's still paired with a red belt and red socks (peaking through Harper's 1993 pant legs) which throws the balance off. 

3. I think the striping itself is a little too thick which is why I switched to more conventional Giants-Pirates size soutache in my version. 

7 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Well that look is not without its problems:

1. Either the blue is too light or the red is too dark because the stripes sometimes look purple. 

2. It's still paired with a red belt and red socks (peaking through Harper's 1993 pant legs) which throws the balance off. 

3. I think the striping itself is a little too thick which is why I switched to more conventional Giants-Pirates size soutache in my version. 

Fair points. I just meant an off-white, pinstripe-less uniform that emphasizes blue as much as red. 

Also, I'm not sure how I feel about the Phillies' co-opting the Cubs' number style, but I can't deny that it looks good here. Are you planning to use that same style for the Cubs as well? 

5 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

Also, I'm not sure how I feel about the Phillies' co-opting the Cubs' number style, but I can't deny that it looks good here. Are you planning to use that same style for the Cubs as well? 

It's actually a completely different font. The Cubs version is more rounded with center section of the #2 angled rather than straight.

So for example here's a preview of my Cubs numbers.

I8D9LUi.png

32 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

It's actually a completely different font. The Cubs version is more rounded with center section of the #2 angled rather than straight.

So for example here's a preview of my Cubs numbers.

I8D9LUi.png

Oh! Well then, in that case, carry on. 😁

NL EAST WASHINGTON NATIONALS

I've always loved the idea of shortening the "Nationals" name to the "Nats" for the home jerseys. As far as a theme for the uniforms, I've adapted Homestead Grey-style t-bars as a nod to that team's history in the nation's capital. A minor tweak but important tweak is the swapping of the "W" on blue back drops from white to red which better matches the old Senators look. I can't decide which version of the third jersey I prefer so I've included both options.

C&C as always. Enjoy!

FRUcaDa.png

8Gfb3PX.png

a6uwns9.png

3qACWmy.png

The t-bars are a fantastic touch, and I really like the "Nats" nickname on the front of the home jersey. 

Since you can't decide between the two versions of the alt, how about flipping the colors on the first version (red jersey with white crest logo and front numbers) and designating that the home alt?

18 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

The t-bars are a fantastic touch, and I really like the "Nats" nickname on the front of the home jersey. 

Since you can't decide between the two versions of the alt, how about flipping the colors on the first version (red jersey with white crest logo and front numbers) and designating that the home alt?

Yep that works!

htoWEkD.png

KrKQ3Gv.png

NL EAST MONTREAL EXPOS

ALONS-Y! I couldn't let an opportunity to revive the Expos go (sky point to Gary from Evanston). 

Fun little detail: Montreal and Toronto are two of the largest cities in Canada and the largest in their respective provinces. The provincial flags of Quebec and Ontario are blue and red, respectively but when it comes to their largest cities, color coding is reversed. Toronto has a predominantly blue flag and her pro sports teams (Blue Jays, Leafs, Marlies, Argos) all trend towards blue and white. Montreal has a red and white flag with her teams sporting much more red in their aesthetic (Canadiens, Alouettes, Expos). So what I've done here is to try and lean a little more into red as a color for the Expos. I've made the word marks for both home and away red, as well as giving them a red alternate jersey. The numbers are based on the Habs. I also made the decision to move the fleur-de-lis to the front of both the home and away jersey. My thinking is that the feature of a team logo on the front of the jersey in addition to the script could be a particularly Canadian concept. The side effect is I've had to move the TV numbers to the sleeve. The socks are a nod to a recent @MJD7 Expos concept. 

C&C as always. Enjoy!

PCmsyZB.png

MkFNnDW.png

gilMd03.png

42 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

As a conservative update of the White Sox current look, this is pretty nice, but I'm still pretty smitten with that black and green set. 

Sure. I'm very much in the black/silver camp even drifting into plain black/white. So while I loved the green as an experiment on multiple levels, this is probably more in my personal wheelhouse as a fan.

14 hours ago, BellaSpurs said:

The little “white sox” on the tail of the Chicago script is a bit unnecessary, especially since you can’t see it but in general I like this a lot more than the green, the white sox should only be black white and silver imo.

The little "white sox" is a bit small but its essentially based on the tailed "Chicago" script the Sox used from 1967-1975.

Archived