MLB 2020 by Carolingian Steamroller (Outtakes and Outtlaws 31/31)

Carolingian Steamroller

Padres: I like the new scripts/wordmarks (especially tying in with the old “SD”). The new shade of gold, along with the new sleeve patch, are excellent additions. My one critique would be to not use the alternate cap with the brown jersey, as the brown top doesn’t have enough yellow to justify it. Other than that, well done!

Giants: I like the new primary logo, the return of the 1977 road script, and the number font cleanup. The alternate is also fantastic, as that script looks good in one-color form. Nice work.

I look forward to seeing the other concepts!

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The main series was finished in an eye blink! I've enjoyed it very much.

From the last teams posted, I think you've make a great jobs with the DBacks restyling. Also, I'm a fan of the "Los" from "Los Angeles" wordmark!

A few requests for some tweaks:

- Neon green cap bill for the Mariners home/home alt sets

- Red front numbers on the Dodgers alt 

- For the brown Padres alt, maybe try flipping the script colors (gold with a white outline)?

I really like that DB diamondbacks logo, what would it look like on an alt hat? Otherwise a lot of the other outtakes have been pretty nice! I like that cubs set a lot, along with the brewers mix of eras look and the San Francisco script in New York Giants style

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

10 hours ago, BellaSpurs said:

I really like that DB diamondbacks logo, what would it look like on an alt hat? Otherwise a lot of the other outtakes have been pretty nice! I like that cubs set a lot, along with the brewers mix of eras look and the San Francisco script in New York Giants style

I kept the same colors on the alt hat. Thanks so much for kind words. Any particular favorites in the series?

b3QNqcy.png

On 3/9/2019 at 11:01 PM, Carolingian Steamroller said:

AL CENTRAL DETROIT TIGERS

Nothing too controversial with the Tigers. I think we can all agree Detroit has one of the great designs in baseball and there isn't too much to do besides sanding off the rough edges. First and foremost is fixing the Old English "D" scenario. As much as I understand the motive of the Tigers to want the same logo on the cap and the jersey but the cap logo is just way too airy and uniquely shaped to work on the jersey. It's the same reason why blowing it up in size on the cap doesn't quite work either. That logo took maximum benefit its small size on the cap through its negative space balancing out the compressed space. My solution to this problem is to try out something of a hybrid logo. Essentially this is just the 1917 logo with two backward flanges instead of one. I think it draws a nice balance between the lighter cap logo and heavier jersey logo. I've applied to both caps and home jersey. I've also dropped the extra white outline from the away jersey to free up the "Detroit" script. As a bonus, I've mocked up a Detroit Stars fauxback as a full time Sunday alternate. I don't see the Tigers ever going with a conventional third option so using the awesome Negro League throwbacks on Sundays would be a great way to break up the two uniform paradigm. 

C&C as always. Enjoy!

u7G6Wwh.png

2m5HlGA.png

0EKM060.png

Detroit Stars one of my favorite throwbacks!

On 3/6/2019 at 8:45 PM, Carolingian Steamroller said:

AL CENTRAL CLEVELAND SPIDERS

Alright, let's do this one more time.

This is the Cleveland American League baseball team. They were bitten by a radioactive spider and as of right now they are the one and only Cleveland Spiders.

One recommendation on this one (maybe for the alternate cap).  Do you think it would be possible to have a little, cartoony tarantula that is in some way evocative of Wahoo? 

Your “outlaws” ideas include some fantastic variations! The leaf trim on the Brewers, the Royal/yellow Germanic set, the  Diamondbacks variants, and the ‘77-‘82 “San Francisco” script are all fantastic. I also like the last White Sox set you posted, especially the road pinstripes. The radially-arched “Pittsburgh” might be better without a front number.

Out of the whole series, I’d say my favorites are the Spiders, Tigers, Astros, Los Rancheros de Texas, Cubs, Nats, black/silver White Sox, Diamondbacks, Pirates, and Rockies. Fantastic work all around!

2 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Your “outlaws” ideas include some fantastic variations! The leaf trim on the Brewers, the Royal/yellow Germanic set, the  Diamondbacks variants, and the ‘77-‘82 “San Francisco” script are all fantastic. I also like the last White Sox set you posted, especially the road pinstripes. The radially-arched “Pittsburgh” might be better without a front number.

Out of the whole series, I’d say my favorites are the Spiders, Tigers, Astros, Los Rancheros de Texas, Cubs, Nats, black/silver White Sox, Diamondbacks, Pirates, and Rockies. Fantastic work all around!

Thanks very much! 

I agree with you on the Pittsburgh radial arching. I needed to keep the front number on the home, so that's one reason I scrapped it. I actually think the cursive "Pittsburgh" from the revised all black version you suggested actually might make the most sense. 

Archived