MLB 2020 by Carolingian Steamroller (Outtakes and Outtlaws 31/31)

Carolingian Steamroller

4 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

I’m very happy with the updates, especially the Rays! A little restraint with the sock gradient worked pretty well.

Tigers: I like you approach to unifying the “D” and the Detroit Stars fauxback (I can go with either red or orange).

Royals: I’m really enjoying the new Monarchs-inspired heart & sash logo, the striping pattern, and the Monarchs’ raglan sleeve/gold-heavy alternate. My one complaint is that I’d much prefer the less messy “Kansas City” script that the team currently uses.

spacer.png

Still, amazing work!

Thanks very much!

Full disclosure, I tried the current "Kansas City" script initially but it just didn't look right when you flip the color from blue outlined in white to white outlined in blue, which is what I wanted to do for the roads. 

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AL CENTRAL MINNESOTA TWINS

This is may not be the most revolutionary Twins concept but I decided on two points regarding the Twins aesthetic: 1. the home uniforms look best with navy blue lettering and 2. something was needed to add warmth to the look with the move to Target field. The cream alternates demonstrated both of these points perfectly. They looked better than any other look worn outdoors since the move out of the Metrodome. That being said, I felt it was too obvious to repeat the cream based home uniforms (and frankly its already been done to perfection elsewhere on these boards). So I opted for red pinstripes as the way to add some much needed warmth to the home look. It also blends well with a red softball top. For the road design, I opted to reinstate the pinstripes as it had been the only distinctive look for them on the road. Thanks to @MJD7 for lending me the updated "Minnesota" script based on the modernized letters. 

C&C as always. Enjoy!

udvDabx.png

NfoVPAu.png

EM7GwIV.png

koBjs9w.png

AL WEST HOUSTON ASTROS

The Astros have an amazing tradition. The shooting star design, the tequila sunrise, the blue/gold, right up to the present and the new orange and blue. What I've done here is try and imagine what those traditions would look like distilled into a single look. Nike has had a tendency recently in their NCAA baseball designs to favor minimalist themes with an emphasis on distinctive patterns. For the Astros, that means the tequila sunrise. However, I hold to the discovery I made with my first Astros concept: the sunrise theme works best when its separated from the blue portions entirely. 

With that in mind, I've gone with the original 60's script with some slight modifications to the line weight and arch smoothness. The roads are cream just like they were for in the 80's. The alternate is all navy blue to let the warm color elements stand out. 

C&C as always. Enjoy!

YcFBUMc.png

jliBNSw.png

kCtO3y8.png

WOW! Love it! Though I will say I don't like just the short stripe of orange on the navy pants. I completely understand, since its meant to match the others, but I think it would look better with a full stripe or none at all.

I'm also curious as to how it would look with an orange wordmark and number.

The Astros look sharp! Love that you went with the dusty cream look for the roads. The numbers style fits them perfectly. 

Any thought given to using a "HOUSTON" wordmark in the same style as the "ASTROS" one for the road?

I agree with @coco1997 about everything except the sand uniforms, grey suits the astros better, the cream sand reminds me too much of the Padres. Maybe adjusting it a tad could also work.

You could also try fading to white on the navy pants instead of fading to navy, that way there’s a full stripe.

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

1 hour ago, BellaSpurs said:

I agree with @coco1997 about everything except the sand uniforms, grey suits the astros better, the cream sand reminds me too much of the Padres. Maybe adjusting it a tad could also work.

You could also try fading to white on the navy pants instead of fading to navy, that way there’s a full stripe.

How does this work?

j2Kh26v.png

omh4mlq.png

RaZxLN4.png

AL WEST LOS ANGELES ANGELS

Really wanted to go in a different direction for the Angels. The obvious fix to their current set would be to re-emphasis navy blue and drop some of the unnecessary shadowing on the logos but here I felt they could do something much more by re-introducing the baby blue from the Disney era. 

7UrvLs2.png

660AoVZ.png

F0sIOqt.png

C&C as always. Enjoy!

The Twins look great! I love the powder blue tinted road in particular. 

The Astros look nice too, the “Houston” wordmarks are a definite improvement.

I love the Angels, especially the home uniform, periwinkle and red is a beautiful combo!

AL WEST OAKLAND ATHLETICS 

I decided to depart from my earlier A's concepts, both of which emphasized the Charlie O'Finley years, by focusing on an unusual detail in A's history. For stretches of their history, the A's had "OAKLAND" across the chest on both jerseys. 

aaik187.jpg8566-27Fr.jpg

It's an odd little detail and with the Raiders decamping for Las Vegas by way of London or Mexico City or Mars (I can't keep it straight) and the Warriors moving across the Bay, maybe its time to reaffirm the Athletics ties to Oakland. I used the script from last year's alternate jersey because it had exactly the right amount of pop in Kelly and gold. I used gold letters on the home jersey and white on the road which is something I think the O'Finley era did prove to be the ideal look. For a piping template I was inspired by this gorgeous Cienfuegos Elephantes jersey. The soutache on the raglan seams felt like just the right amount of subtlety that could add some color which still evoking the simplicity of some of the classic Philadelphia Athletics uniforms. In the same spirit, the primary logo is now just the "A" with the "'s" and made a white, striped alternate cap. 

C&C as always. Enjoy!

MZIgkBD.png

Vtd2qcJ.png

sCTFErN.png

Archived