MLB 2020 by Carolingian Steamroller (Outtakes and Outtlaws 31/31)

Carolingian Steamroller

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AL WEST SEATTLE MARINERS

Bit of a controversial choice here: I'm leaning in to the Seahawks/Sounders neon green. I'd always felt that the use of searing bright neon green by Seattle teams was an absolute eye sore. And then I got a chance to actually visit Seattle this winter and when you see it in the Pacific Northwest, IT WORKS! It looks really good on all the Seahawks paraphernalia around town. 

When you have a broadly overcast sky, a color cannot necessary rely on direct reflection from the sun to appear bright and vibrant, it needs to be able to do that on its own in more diffused light. That's where the neon green comes in. I found that I liked the way Seahawks caps looked better than some of the conventional blue/gold Mariners caps. With that in mind, I really piled on the green for the home set, knowing that it would see more overcast light and de-emphasized it for the road set, worn in more normal conditions in LA, Oakland, Houston, and Texas. 

C&C as always. Enjoy!

PLbJGRj.png

pv5EEg1.png

FNe8op3.png

ENpyTvK.png

That looks much more like purple imo than navy, and to capture the effect the Seahawks have, I would scale down a lot of the green. That way it would pop more. Overall it’s okay, it’s something, I think I’d prefer the current colors however

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

1 hour ago, coco1997 said:

My only suggestion would be to add headspoon piping on the road alt for consistency across the board. 

Completely agree. 

However it does match their current road alt, which for some reason they've pretty much always insisted it be inconsistent with their other jerseys.

From 1997-1999 they used this which was inconsistent:

42220649534_a1c4fa604c_b.jpg

Then everything was fine for a few years with these.

1999-2000:

29066537728_a29bbfebb5_b.jpg

2000-2002

42220647784_51b0d09e6e_b.jpg

Then in 2003 they decided inconsistency was the best choice.

2003-2011:

42220646664_48315ea67c_o.png

2012-present:

42220645784_111fa219d6_b.jpg

source.

1 minute ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

I think this looks ok but I wonder if the extra green contrasts too sharply with the pants. 

OIkk9fg.png

I think it looks pretty good! Alternatively you could try white piping, but the green looks fine, IMO.

Twins: I really like the color flip idea (red home, navy road) and the syncing of the cap bills to the wordmark colors. Well done!

Astros: I like how you simplified the wordmarks and put dashes of the tequila sunrise throughout the uniform. The “Houston” wordmark is a welcome touch, as is the custom number font.

Angels: This might be my favorite red/powder Angels concept. You have a fantastic balance of colors throughout, while also making sure powder and red don’t touch (which I find is key) on the home and alternate sets. I’m not that keen on the white front-panel, but I can see why it’s there. Nice work!

A’s: I really like the color flip, the added “Oakland” emphasis, and the use of raglan piping! My one issue with the set is that I’d rather see a white recoloring of the modern elephant on the sleeves. Other than that, nice work!

Mariners: I like the idea to bring in neon green into the set, but I wish you pushed it a little further. A lime green bill at home/for the home alt would be perfect! As for the road set, the more “minimal lime” approach should necessitate a different sock stripe pattern with less neon. I’d also back up @coco1997‘s suggestion for placket trim. Still, I like it!

On 3/25/2019 at 9:22 AM, SFGiants58 said:

Twins: I really like the color flip idea (red home, navy road) and the syncing of the cap bills to the wordmark colors. Well done!

Astros: I like how you simplified the wordmarks and put dashes of the tequila sunrise throughout the uniform. The “Houston” wordmark is a welcome touch, as is the custom number font.

Angels: This might be my favorite red/powder Angels concept. You have a fantastic balance of colors throughout, while also making sure powder and red don’t touch (which I find is key) on the home and alternate sets. I’m not that keen on the white front-panel, but I can see why it’s there. Nice work!

A’s: I really like the color flip, the added “Oakland” emphasis, and the use of raglan piping! My one issue with the set is that I’d rather see a white recoloring of the modern elephant on the sleeves. Other than that, nice work!

Mariners: I like the idea to bring in neon green into the set, but I wish you pushed it a little further. A lime green bill at home/for the home alt would be perfect! As for the road set, the more “minimal lime” approach should necessitate a different sock stripe pattern with less neon. I’d also back up @coco1997‘s suggestion for placket trim. Still, I like it!

I do think I like this better. As much as I dig the super-retro logo, this enables the sleeve patch to better match the work marks. 

uVJKdlD.png

0gLEA2P.png

yzpUSbj.png

Definitely streamlines the design to have less green in the socks. 

awKau4X.png

AL WEST LOS RANCHEROS DE TEXAS

While looking at the early uniforms from Texas, I noticed that a lot of them were based on the "Western" style. The thing about the Western style is that it's not necessarily what was in style in the West in the 19th Century so much as how that history was adapted and interpreted by 1950's and 1960's pop culture in the US. Specifically the whole cowboy motif which persisted in forms on a wide spectrum from Ronald Reagan to Sheriff Woody. 

The problem I soon found was that the idealized West of the 1950's was largely rubbish and overly romanticized (despite Italy's best efforts to strip that romance away). Particularly, large chunks of the cowboy lifestyle were adapted wholesale from the Mexican rancheros, vaqueros, and charros who had been living off of animal husbandry on both sides of the Rio Grande for centuries. The first cowboy hats, for example, were little more than flat crowned sombreros. 

So here, I've decided to reinvigorate some of that history by re-christening the Texas Rangers as Los Rancheros de Texas. I've adapted the Ryan-era cursive script for all three jerseys and the cap but added the twist of a sublimated flower pattern. The flowers (repeated on the sleeve design) are based on the floral patterns often found on the charro costumes of Mexico. The color scheme is taken from a description of an suit worn by Emiliano Zapata. True Zapata hailed from the Morelos region of Central Mexico, but frankly nobody ever pulled that look off better, so he's my inspiration.  

C&C as always. Enjoy!

Fpo85Cb.png

E6BwBDD.png

HbfOFYT.png

This is an absolutely brilliant re-imagining of the Rangers. I love just about everything about it! Some team in the majors needs to adopt that color scheme. 

Any thought to inverting the colors on the road script?

Re: the Mariners, I've never looked at em and thought they should use powder blue at all, not with teal and not with like green either.  Then again, regular gray might not really work in this case either.  Maybe something in between.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I really like what you've done for the Mariners! Although I like their current forest green colour, unifying the schemes of the city teams is a great idea.

What can I say about the Rancheros? The set is absolutely gorgeous, you came up with a great identity. The sleeve trim is a really nice detail.

On 3/26/2019 at 4:50 PM, coco1997 said:

This is an absolutely brilliant re-imagining of the Rangers. I love just about everything about it! Some team in the majors needs to adopt that color scheme. 

Any thought to inverting the colors on the road script?

On 3/26/2019 at 5:34 PM, BellaSpurs said:

I love it! Unfortunately the number font kinda throws off the look a bit, maybe try a traditional block, or something else that fits the style better

So a couple of tweaks here. First is a switch to the standardized MLB font. Second I've included a version with the road script flipped. Third, I've updated the numbers to include the same sublimated pattern as the front script.

Zv37Fkw.png

1ud4e1g.png

4sfsZBu.png

omOWtpK.png

Archived