MLB 2020 by Carolingian Steamroller (Outtakes and Outtlaws 31/31)

Carolingian Steamroller

I like this look for the Cubs. The home set looks like a combination of a few of their 1930s-40s designs, which is always a good thing, and the road and alternate are improvements over what they currently use. I particularly like the red piping on the road set—makes for a distinct look.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NL CENTRAL CINCINNATI REDS

The Reds once wore a dark grey road uniform in their long history so this concept centers around bringing that back as a full time secondary color replacing black. The new primary logo is based largely on the 50's design with grey replacing blue. The alternate jersey incorporates the contrasting buttons we see on the 1936 red pants throwback. 

C&C as always. Enjoy!

tr7Sny7.png

kJqCIlq.png

o0eD9dp.png

LfiQOYR.png

Hard for me to see my Reds like that tbh, I always was iffy ab that throwback logo (the one with the blue) I think the reds need to stick red and white, and maybe maybe not black, I’m not totally against the sparse use of it like it’s used now

Edit: I like the 80s Mr. Red tho, it’s a nice touch that’s a change of scenery 

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

The Nats, Expos, and Cubs are all great, unique takes on their respective teams! I love the Cubs especially, as you weren’t afraid to switch things up but it still maintains that Cubs “feel.” 

To be honest, I’m not big on the gray for the Reds, I just don’t know if it works for me, but it is a unique idea nonetheless.

I’m also a bit late to comment on this one, but I love the A’s. That style of piping works for them.

Great work all around, looking forward to more!

I like both the updates I suggested and the new White Sox set (especially that travel uniform with the white lettering).

Phillies - Going in the pre-pinstripe with red/royal co-dominance direction was a fantastic choice, as is the all-blue road uniform (I didn't see that one coming!). 

Nats - The shortened nickname has grown on me, while I'm a sucker for those T-bars! I do wish you had incorporated the full name script on at least one of the uniforms, but I understand why you left it out. The sleeve patch is a fantastic design, while the updates improve the alternates. Well done.

Expos - The Habs influence comes off really well here, with enough red to set them apart from the Blue Jays and Cubs. My one issue is that the Fleur-de-Lis should be more over the "e" in Montreal, to simulate the accent mark.

Cubs - I'm surprised at how much I like the stripped-down aesthetic with the 1930s/40s number font. Reducing red to an accent on the home/road is a good choice, along with that internal consistency of "red with white outlines for lettering, red with no outlines for stripes."

Reds - I like how the secondary gray shows up on the home set, but I'm not sure it works as well as a full-body road uniform or the alternate. The vintage logo/removal of slab-serif lettering is a good choice. Perhaps a gray that's slightly lighter would work better here. 

I'm really impressed with the latest round of concepts! There's a lot of bold choices here. 

NL CENTRAL MILWAUKEE BREWERS

The Brewers are in the midst of an identity crisis. They can't decide what logos or scripts to use. They can't decide on their primary or secondary color. There's another team in Milwaukee with a similar identity crisis: Marquette University. Marquette loves the navy/powder/gold combo for their uniforms but have used exclusively royal blue and gold for all their promotional material, including their home court. 

So taking some inspiration from Marquette, I've simplified the entire operation for the Brewers, its royal blue and athletic gold all the way. I've gone with sublimated pinstripes on the home, powder blue away, and gold Friday alternate. Likewise, the logo treatment on all three uniforms are identical. A modified 90's era "BREWERS" with a drop shadow against a blue back ground, which applies to the ball-in-glove and the numbers. There is also Pilots inspired alternate with "MILWAUKEE" script and multiple gold stripes with some unique logos. This bottles up (pardon the pun) the inconsistent elements into a single change-up set.

C&C as always. Enjoy!

rCn622M.png

LipvFaN.png

KVRI0QD.png

meuCObm.png

The Brewers are one of the best so far! Great job updating the scripts and numbers (and BiG logo) rather than going for a straight throwback look. I love the striping on the belts, too.

For the Reds, I still prefer the red/charcoal look, but the straight red/white combo is probably more realistic. 

NL CENTRAL PITTSBURGH PIRATES

The Pirates have some of the best uniforms in baseball with one exception, their road uniform just never seems to look right. Maybe its the combination of black and gold with grey? Maybe its the sheer number of letters in PITTSBURGH. With that in mind, I've just decided to scrap the grey roads entirely in favor of solid black. This is in keeping with the spirit of the bumblebee era while maintaining the classic trim. I've also reverted to the 1950's era radially arched "Pirates" which really emphasize the capital "P." A gold jersey serves well in this context for both home and away alternates. 

C&C as always. Enjoy!

zlBMIng.png

jpd16FT.png

W9moE4H.png

hWYK1z4.png

NL CENTRAL ST. LOUIS CARDINALS

I've long been a fan of the Cardinals general design. They've paid amazing attention to detail in their on field uniforms, going to down to tweaking the size and location of front jersey numbers for a better look. That having been said, I feel like with the release of the powder blue road fauxback that they may have finally jumped the proverbial shark. So what I've tried to do here is condense as much of what is truly excellent about Cardinals uniform history into three uniforms: home, road, and Sunday home game. 

Jerseys: I've made the decision to switch to all team colors. I think the black bat look for the Cardinals in the early Musial days was really sharp and its easily adapted to the modern era by using navy blue with a red outline. The bird beaks are now red in every application. It's how real life Cardinals look and it looks really sharp. For the road uniform, I've opted to use St. Louis full time. Since the birds on bat design is remarkably bold, no further adornment is necessary for the home and away jerseys. For the Sunday home game uniform, there's a break, shifting into a cream base and a bird-less "Cardinals" script which enables the return of red headspoon piping. 

Pants: All three pants feature a single red stripe on either side. The great Cardinal teams of the 60's employed a similar design, deploying piping on the pants but not the sleeve and it looks great in action. I've replicated the sock design on the belts and the red off the belt is compensated with some 1940's contrasting panels. 

Caps: No need to fix what isn't broken on the home cap. It's clean, its perfect. The catch is the Sunday alternate cap. I love the bird on bat cap design but I think the current application could be better. So here, it matches the Sunday alternate uniform, cream with red soutache. The bird on bat appears, ensuring that the uniform has a bird somewhere on the design.

C&C as always. Enjoy!

69Hwpth.png

XJPjH1v.png

3b67TJ1.png

Reds update: The red/white is a really striking look, while I don't hate the red/black as much as I thought it would (no drop shadows makes it better).

Pirates: I like the idea to go all-black for the road uniform, use the extra-arched wordmark, and use a sleeve patch with the star design. I'm not sure about how amazing the gold jersey/black pants would look in real life (a bit of an eyesore on the current throwback), but I like the boldness. My one suggestion would be to use the 1990-2000 road cursive script in some capacity. 

Cardinals: Removing yellow and adding colored loops/striped belts was a surprisingly good decision. The alternate design is also a fantastic break from the main set, but I would like to see the bird moved to the sleeve, no front number, and the navy hat w/ a red bill. The again, that's just personal preference. Fantastic work!

25 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Reds update: The red/white is a really striking look, while I don't hate the red/black as much as I thought it would (no drop shadows makes it better).

Thanks much! I think I actually like the red/black the best to my surprise. 

Pirates: I like the idea to go all-black for the road uniform, use the extra-arched wordmark, and use a sleeve patch with the star design. I'm not sure about how amazing the gold jersey/black pants would look in real life (a bit of an eyesore on the current throwback), but I like the boldness. My one suggestion would be to use the 1990-2000 road cursive script in some capacity. 

I think if there's any problem with the current throwback its that the pillbox cap just doesn't work in the modern context with modern fabrics. It's too jarring. That said, I think the fact that the revised alternate uses just the "P" makes a big difference. It clears up a lot of space on the jersey and makes things even less cluttered given the switch to modern piping. It'd look roughly the way the Pirates' BP jersey did a few years back. 

pirates0404jpg-2930af7f6657ca80.jpg

For the "Pittsburgh" script, I thought it might look best on the black road jersey.

GTj0LGl.png

Cardinals: Removing yellow and adding colored loops/striped belts was a surprisingly good decision. The alternate design is also a fantastic break from the main set, but I would like to see the bird moved to the sleeve, no front number, and the navy hat w/ a red bill. The again, that's just personal preference. Fantastic work!

All well and good. I like how this looks, the only problem is I did essentially this for my Sunday alt Cardinals design three years ago. So while it looks great, I still prefer the cream hat version. 

KqZBcDC.png

Archived