MLB 2020 by Carolingian Steamroller (Outtakes and Outtlaws 31/31)

Carolingian Steamroller

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NL WEST ARIZONA DIAMONDBACKS

It should go without saying that the biggest problem holding Arizona from having a decent identity is the sheer length of the name. They've tried to fix this by using the abbreviated "D-BACKS" in their sets. The problem is that it just doesn't look right to me. So what I've done here is essentially try to rebuild their identity from scratch. The only hold over is some of the details from the curved snake "D" logo and the snake-head secondary logo. I reworked the details into an "A" shape rather than a "D" and then put it at the front of an "rizona" script that fit the look. The numbers and trim are fairly traditional since the Diamondbacks have hardly ever had a conventional template. In terms of color scheme, I've opted for golden red (truthfully its based on the color of really good Irish tea) and bronze. To off set the warmth in those colors, the away uniform has a mild turquoise tint to it that softens the hard edges of the red and gold. 

C&C as always. Enjoy!

3LypFH9.png

CIRfvFy.png

wRcxy98.png

This has to be one of my favorites of the series so far. This could be an excellent interpretation of what the team could have looked like if they existed in the 60’s. I love the brick & copper color scheme, as well as the turquoise-tinted road. Tremendous work!

Since the D-Backs have always used very modern, “sleek”-looking scripts and numbers, it’s pretty cool to see them given a more old school, classic baseball design approach. Great job!

I wonder if the home set would look good with a cream/off-white tint. 

NL WEST COLORADO ROCKIES

This might be an unpopular opinion, but I think the black, sleeveless jersey is the Rockies best, most visually striking identity. The piping on the sleeveless jersey, combined with the black undersleeves, gives the impression of UCLA stripes. So for this design, I've leaned into that concept. All three uniforms have expanded sleeve inserts (credit to @MJD7 for the template). For the home and road designs, black sleeves (like the 2017 WBC uniforms) make for a cleaner look. The three layer lettering the Rockies have used since their inception serve the basis of the new number font. 

C&C as always. Enjoy!

TeAwRj5.png

oNDnliR.png

tZu4jyO.png

Love this Rockies set! I’ve long thought the “CR” monogram would be superior to their “Rockies” script for their home jersey. The sleeveless look is really nice here, and the number font fits really well. Nice work once again!

NL WEST LOS ANGELES DODGERS

We are soon approaching a turning point in Dodger history. In less than 15 years, the Dodgers will have been in LA as long as they were in Brooklyn. That's a momentous epoch for baseball history and I think in preparation the Dodgers should begin to embrace their West Coast connection a little bit bore. 

Starting with the sleeve patch, I've added a diamond shape around it. Not so for the old Brooklyn logo, as a personal favorite LA coffee and breakfast burrito spot. The home uniforms remain essentially the same. The road uniforms have an additional LA tweak. When the Lakers first moved West, they employed "Los Angeles" on their away uniforms in two layers "Los" and Angeles. Replicating that split effect on a baseball uniform allows the "Los Angeles" wordmark to be significantly larger than how it appears on the current road uniform which makes it stand out and match the "Dodgers" home script a little better in terms of scale. The fact that "Los Angeles" has looked comparatively puny compared to "Dodgers" is one reason why I believe the former has been shunned in favor of the latter in recent seasons. 

The alternate uniform also uses the Los Angeles script but with an added bonus of a bright blue (inspired from @Victormrey's recent Nike series). The contrasting sleeves hark back to the PCL LA Angels which inhabited the city long before the Dodgers arrived. 

C&C as always. Enjoy!

mJBad7A.png

2UHV9vm.png

szOMMWm.png

Arizona: I absolutely love it. The A-snake, the multi-red/bronze (especially on the snake head, which now looks extra-evil), and the simple (yet consistent) lettering and striping really sell it for me. The turquoise tint on the road uniform is also a plus!

Colorado: This is a fantastic adaptation of the vest design. I like the addition of black pants, subtle co-balancing of black and purple, and the striping pattern throughout. I'm not that keen on the font, but that's just personal preference (I am curious to see what the whole numeral set looks like). Well done!

Los Angeles: The sleeve patch, bold numbers, and alternate are all fantastic tweaks. I find myself surprised at how well the "Los Angeles" script works. My one suggestion would be to keep red chest numbers on the alternate. Aside from that, fantastic work!

NL WEST SAN DIEGO PADRES

With the Padres shifting back to brown in the coming months, there are a lot of avenues the club could take and we've seen some terrific ideas here on these boards. My main inspiration for this set is actually the blue and gold design the Padres wore for only their ASG season. That design used two stripe piping and gold outlining. Rather than opt for the 1970's or 1980's brown uniforms, I opted for a more PCL Padres look, rolling with the two color piping and adapting that into double sleeve stripes. The primary script is a hand-drawn cursive designed to invoke the PCL era while still appearing modern. The block font elements (the numerals and road script) are based on the original block "SD" cap logo which now becomes the secondary logo. The sleeve patch combines the silhouette of the San Diego Mission in a shield design with a Pacific coast sunrise fade, the swinging friar, and the new PCL script. 

C&C as always. Enjoy!

RNRcCBG.png

H6s0SJf.png

eu2NBre.png

0WxcqfW.png

I really love that new shade of gold. It’s darker than anything they’ve worn before but it still contrasts well with the brown. Great job on the hand drawn script, too!

My one suggestion is to darken the blue part of the gradient on the Friar sleeve patch so it shows up better on the road sleeve.

NL WEST SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS

Closing out the main series with the Giants of San Francisco. Renovating the Giants had many of the same challenges as the Pirates as they have similar color schemes, fonts, and traditional piping. For the Giants, I've gone vertically arched scripts from the team's past. In particular, the "GIANTS" design carried over from their time in New York and the arched "SAN FRANCISCO" from 1977. The two match very well, right down the angle on the arching. For the alternate, I've maintained the cursive "Giants" from the 1970's. The numbers may look like the ones they wear now but they're slimmer and less wonky since I was able to pull them directly off of a jersey from the Mays era. The sleeve patch is a modified one from my previous series and I've added orange striping to the belt. 

While this is the last official set of the 2020 series, it won't be the end. I'll be doing a selected outtakes and outlaws post including rough drafts and I'll probably also do a tutorial of how I pull logos using only the paint programs found on PCs. 

C&C as always. Enjoy!

QneY0FJ.png

KGYZmG5.png

UNd8PzK.png

The Rockies look great! I love the “CR” home and the sleeve striping.

The dividing of the “Los Angeles” is creative for sure, I’m not quite sure how I feel about it yet. My one hesitation is that it makes it look more like a script that I wish the Angels had.

The Padres have the making of a classic identity. The shades of brown & yellow you chose look a bit too “natural” to me if that makes sense, but the striping and logo designs are all great.

I love the Giants set, especially how the script looks on the black alt.

Well done as always, this has been a creative and unique series that I’ve really enjoyed following!

4 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

The Padres have the making of a classic identity. The shades of brown & yellow you chose look a bit too “natural” to me if that makes sense, but the striping and logo designs are all great.

That's a good way to describe it. I can't actually remember how I found that particular shade of gold but I think what you mean is that they colors don't pop the way something more deliberate would. The sort of blend into the environment. That can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on taste.

Archived