St. Louis Athletic Club MLS Concept: First Draft

8BW14

So I did a thing I've never done before and I took a stab at a soccer badge concept. I've always appreciated the aesthetics of a good soccer badge, but I've never been a huge soccer fan to be honest. On that note, I don't really know what the prospects of an MLS club in St. Louis are, but I chose to do a St. Louis logo because I think the city has a ton of imagery to draw upon for a great soccer crest.

O90OnA5.png 

The Arch is the most iconic symbol of the city, so I started with that overall shape that I thought would be unique and stand out among the other logos in the MLS. I also wanted to include the awesome stripes from the city flag. Cliche, I know, but I love the way the blue stripe between the white stripes mimics the Mighty Mississippi.  decided to stay away from the Fleur de Lis because Montreal already uses it in their crest.

I'm definitely not in a place where I think i have a finished product and I am definitely open to criticism on any and all aspects of the logo. Too simple? Bad color scheme? Nothing is off limits because I am not confident in my ability to to design a soccer crest. Thanks for taking a look and please let me know what you think.  

St. Louis is presently considered a frontrunner for MLS's 28th team. There's something vaguely military about the shape of the logo, which works for a city known for its arsenal. I'd think, with this crest, uniforms would need pops of gold to distance from FC Dallas, Real Salt Lake, and other red/blue teams.

rATMcmK.png

It's a really good start, I love the colors, monogram, and inclusion of the arch and flag. But there are a few things I would take a look at.

First off the monogram, it is unique and looks classy, but the lines could be smoother. Also I would make the yellow outline the same thickness between the T and L as it is outlining the whole shape, right now it is thinner.

Secondly, I'm not sure what exactly the triangle type shape on the bottom of the shield is supposed to signify. Right now it just looks off to me. I would try making the thickness equal or maybe make it mimic the arch on top. There is also a lot of empty space there, I would try adding the year of the teams founding or a fleur de lis to fill the empty space.

Other than the minor edits I mentioned it is looking really good!

Looks great! The flag colors are nice for St Louis. I agree with @Section30 about increasing the gap between the T & L, as well as adding something below (maybe "AC" since that's the name you've given?)

I'd also suggest adding a gold outline to the whole thing.

Archived