Sign in to follow this  
darkpiranha

Must-reading from any Sim/Sports Fan Fiction fan

Sports sim people are one of the most unique bunches of people I've ever encountered, and I've only ever encountered TWO in real life.  But I've found bunches here and appreciate and respect everyone's forays into this world.  Thirty years ago, as I was in about my fifth year of sports simming (Wayne Gretzky Hockey League Simulator 2, for those playing at home) I met a friend of mine's dad who I don't remember how we got on the topic, but started talking about sports sims and how it was something he'd done as a kid and still did to that day.  He went to his library and returned with a book he insisted I read:  a novel called The Universal Baseball Association Inc., by Robert Coover.  

In a nutshell, this is a delightful book about a guy who's REALLY into his simulated baseball league.  It dominates his life, and the players in it are more than just simulated stats in a boxscore.  They become as real to him as real people.  I'm sure it's no surprise to any of you that do sims that the book takes this turn.  It was a surprise to me that ANYONE else had the same thoughts about their leagues like I did with mine.  It was scary how many similar things I'd done as the main character had done.  Of all the novels I've ever read in my life, this is the one that feels like it was written just for me.  But of course, almost all sports sim people are like this, apparently.  Now, the book gets pretty existential and weird near the end, but even that made sense to my sim-loving brain.  It was the logical extension of a sim league, and kind of made me re-evaluate my own leagues in a neat new way.  

Anyway, I'm being vague about it so that any of you who might enjoy this sort of thing don't have any of the absolute joys of this novel spoiled for you.   

Here's a link to the ebook version if you're interested, and a paperback is also available.   Enjoy!  

The Universal Baseball Association on Amazon.  

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Baseball-Association-Robert-Coover-ebook/dp/B07MXD5NRB/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

Though I've never read it, I am familiar with the title, largely thanks to stumbling upon a tabletop game that attempted to recreate Waugh's game (though w/o the player death).  And a second game that expanded on the concept.

On 3/3/2019 at 9:00 AM, Discrimihater said:

Though I've never read it, I am familiar with the title, largely thanks to stumbling upon a tabletop game that attempted to recreate Waugh's game (though w/o the player death).  And a second game that expanded on the concept.

Really?  Cool.  I've never heard of it.  Link or name?

So far, I've found History Maker Baseball, which isn't a true recreation of this game, but seems to allow for better Waugh-like games.

Let's Play Two! Baseball Game looks like it was a free print-and-play game designed to replicate Waugh, but I'm not finding any links to the original game or any version of it still available.  (edit) looks like it's been discontinued in favor of a revised version of the game by the original creator, but without any Waugh connections.

Yep, Let's Play Two was the aforementioned recreation, then When the Grass Was Real (long title, I know) was its (somewhat incomplete) sequel, and I think HMB took some inspiration from both the PnP efforts and UBA (LTP's creator is among HMB's fans).  And I've been thinking about buying HMB for a while now.

Cool.  I wish we had a good Simulation game/program thread going where we discuss the nuts and bolts of what we use (as opposed to the stats and stories).   I tried starting one a few years ago, but it didn't go anywhere.  

For myself, I've created my own entire simulator for my own custom sport and leagues (Dice Racing!) using spreadsheets, and I'm curious as to the other things people here have created to simulate games, either digitally or analog.  I'd love to create a slick little app that triggers a simulation and then allows me to access the database of stats that's created.  

Is this a book made from a thread on the message board like the Browns dynasty thing, or is it it's own separate book?

This is a novel written in 1968 and is its own thing.  But it's very much in line with all of the leagues written about on this board.  The main character has created his own highly-detailed league, with personalities for all the main players.  I'm guessing that's what nearly everyone here has done at some point.  But it's not just following a story of a league, it's really about how the events that happen in the game affect his 'real' life.  

For those that have a love of simulated sports, especially the old-fashioned kind where you rolled dice and consulted charts, then this novel will likely appeal to you.  It's a very meta book.  And even though it was written in 1968, it's fascinating how it predicted a lot of fantasy sports and simulation games we have today.