Scottyeagle (Like Hundreds before Him) Does the NFL (Jags Update 2/28)

scottyeagle

Hey there!  Were you disappointed in an unexciting Super Bowl culminating in the Evil Empire hoisting yet another Lombardi Trophy?  Need a bigger fix of football and the AAF isn't doing the trick?  Want to see someone display marginal design skills and creativity through a cavalcade of slightly altered striping patterns, new fonts, and superfluous recolors before inevitably burning out and stopping 2/3 of the way through the league?  Then you have come to the right place!  In the posts that follow, you will see my staid re-imaginings of the National Football League, starting, as nearly every one of these threads does, with the Arizona Cardinals, because that's how the alphabet works. 

ARIZONA CARDINALS

The one distinctive trait of their uniforms during their time in the Copper State has been the incorporation of the state flag on the sleeves from the late 90s to mid 00s, so that's the main source of inspiration.  The team colors are altered to reflect this (bye-bye black) and a red facemask replaces the gray one of yore, removing yet another extraneous color from the Cardinals colorway.  The uniforms fit the flag onto the sleeve caps, and the solitary angular stripe on the pants carries from the flag as well.  The alternate also draws heavily from the flag.  Other than that, the red pants are back (only to be used with the white jersey), and a new number font accompanies these changes. 

AUxNuo7.pnghLEU3Nu.pngtb0pqFl.png

Let me know which team you want to see next.  I welcome your feedback. 

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like your numbers, but getting rid of black is the wrong thing to do. It's been a color of theirs since St. Louis and looks good when used sparingly. The Arizona flag sleeves are clever, but I would lose them at home and keep them on the road -- think of it as an update of the old Phoenix Cardinals uniforms of the early '90s.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Guest darkpiranha

This looks great!  I'm definitely following this thread closely for at least a week or so before my attention gets diverted and I then I only sporadically check in and get caught up on a couple of dozen posts and responses before you inevitably drop out 2/3rds of the way through and I completely forget this existed until some nitwit two years from now posts a "Neat, are you still doing this thread?" comment which gets a ton of angry responses from the rest of us telling them to let dead threads stay dead, but ironically, his dumb post inspires you to revisit this series and bring it back to life because now your life is a bit less hectic because the baby you had is now a couple of years old and not QUITE the exhausting, all-time-consuming beast it used to be, so you excitedly post a couple of new designs before disappearing again, this time with increased shame and depression as you realize that you truly have no life except work and that baby and what were you thinking believing you could actually dedicated time to finishing off this league and you become slightly depressed and abandon all creative endeavors of any kind, at least for a while.  

4 minutes ago, darkpiranha said:

This looks great!  I'm definitely following this thread closely for at least a week or so before my attention gets diverted and I then I only sporadically check in and get caught up on a couple of dozen posts and responses before you inevitably drop out 2/3rds of the way through and I completely forget this existed until some nitwit two years from now posts a "Neat, are you still doing this thread?" comment which gets a ton of angry responses from the rest of us telling them to let dead threads stay dead, but ironically, his dumb post inspires you to revisit this series and bring it back to life because now your life is a bit less hectic because the baby you had is now a couple of years old and not QUITE the exhausting, all-time-consuming beast it used to be, so you excitedly post a couple of new designs before disappearing again, this time with increased shame and depression as you realize that you truly have no life except work and that baby and what were you thinking believing you could actually dedicated time to finishing off this league and you become slightly depressed and abandon all creative endeavors of any kind, at least for a while.  

uh

On 2/23/2019 at 2:58 PM, luketheduke03 said:

I like it, pretty much how I've always imagined them. Maybe try to incorporate copper elsewhere in the uniform?

Thanks!  I personally think the Cards look best with red and white with everything else being used on a limited basis. Keeping the copper limited also keeps it somewhat of a novelty, which I like.   

On 2/23/2019 at 3:23 PM, the admiral said:

I like your numbers, but getting rid of black is the wrong thing to do. It's been a color of theirs since St. Louis and looks good when used sparingly. The Arizona flag sleeves are clever, but I would lose them at home and keep them on the road -- think of it as an update of the old Phoenix Cardinals uniforms of the early '90s.

I don't mind black for the Cards (if, as you said, it's used sparingly), but going with the flag color theme made it unnecessary as I felt red, white, blue, yellow, copper, and black was too much.  Having tried black, I must admit it does provide more contrast in the logo, in addition to maintaining the same colorway throughout the team's 100-year history.  As for the sleeves on the home, I prefer the continuity from home to away that this current arrangement gives.  (I also moved the numbers on the alternate to the sleeves):  KrkxV80.pngBfc151Z.pnguVxIPsQ.png

On 2/23/2019 at 6:25 PM, darkpiranha said:

You get me. 

Moving on...

ATLANTA FALCONS

Their current uniforms are a bit of a mess.  Like the Cardinals, they suffer from copious amounts of random piping, so I'm doing some cleanup.  Home uniform is black again to distinguish the Falcons from a certain in-state college team with the same colors.  Striping consists of a single bold, angular stripe taken from the logo and, like the logo, always has a black background.  Another new font too.  That's about it.

1LqnvZj.pngQaxFAcq.png6XMP6kO.png

Let me know which team I should do next, as going through the alphabet gets dull and I would appreciate some variety in this long and strenuous journey.  C&C appreciated on both Arizona and Atlanta. 

Love the Falcons look, it's not overly simple, but not cluttered (like thier current set). I like the font a lot too. Only suggestion is add the word mark above the numbers. Other than that its great.

Id like to see the Lions next.

Thanks for the comments, everybody.  Here's that paragon of success, the Detroit Lions!

DETROIT LIONS

I personally really liked a lot of what they did in their recent redesign, such as the removal of black and the muscle-car-inspired striping.  I was less enthused with the italicized numbers and the sleeve wordmark, both of which struck me as hokey.  Instead, I drew inspiration from their excellent Thanksgiving Day throwbacks and kept it simple.  The full-color socks would be a unique look in the NFL by my estimation, and (another) new font. 

PaVf2OM.pngLenSZYg.pnga5Kbyy2.png

Nothing life-altering.  Some may say it's too simple, but I think it looks clean.  Probably gonna do the Jets next. 

20 hours ago, scottyeagle said:

Here's that paragon of success, the Detroit Lions!

Damn! That's a cold hearted low blow man 😂😂

They look good though, its definitely a modern classic look for one of the oldest teams in the league. I like the gray set a lot, mainly because, unlike the current gray jersey, the color matches the helmet. I'm also happy you kept the blue pants. Well done!

Hoping for some more comments on Detroit, but I'm going to move on to another paragon of success (and, because I'm a masochist, my favorite team) the J-E-T-S (suck suck suck)!

NEW YORK JETS

I know they have a uniform unveiling coming next month, so I wanted to get this out before that or anything leaking.  I'm disappointed they are doing a redesign, as I think their uniforms are just about perfect.  I did make some important alterations, however.  Their logo is pretty terrible, so I pilfered the unused Baltimore Bombers logo and put it in the classic green and white (and yes, I know not all bombers are jets, so shut up).  The shade of green is different too, moving away from the dark hunter green that can at times look awful to more of a forest or British racing green.  The alternate calls to mind the logo and uniforms of the 1980s.  And, another new font!  Yay!  This one, called Bombardier, is meant to (kind of) evoke tail numbers on fighter jets to bring a refresh to the classic brand. 

8rQZgQ4.pngIHjWwkp.pngVEhqGSW.png

Good morning, Baltimore. 

BALTIMORE RAVENS

I am of the mind that the Ravens logo is among the absolute worst in the league.  The comically aggressive raven with a white beak (not a thing, btw) is a 90's relic.  Ironically enough, I went back to their inaugural logos for inspiration, switching the bird from the sleeves to the helmet and vice versa.  I also gave the bird a makeover, violently decapitating it and sewing on a new head.  The helmet becomes an iridescent purple-to-black look reminiscent of the Jaguars' old teal-to-black lid, which is meant to mimic the way light hits raven's feathers.  For the rest of the concept, I didn't really change much.  I almost replaced the gold with red, which I feel captures some of the brooding menace a team inspired by Edgar Allan Poe is meant to evoke.  But nevermore, because it just looked too muddy.  I also didn't vomit the Maryland flag all over the place as too many concepts do; I'm a big fan of using flags in teams identities, but the Maryland flag makes what should be a simple and clean uniform too busy.  In its stead, I took the checkered parallelograms and fashioned them into a pants stripe.  It gets the point across without punching you in the face (still not sold on how it looks on the black pants; might be too much gold). 

a2eOFWw.pngT527ePn.pngzo7Xvtk.png

• 2 weeks later...

Your comments feed me and keep me satiated through this long journey of human existence, so continue making comments, especially on the Jets and Ravens. 

Now, since yesterday was Saint Patrick's Day, and this team's namesakes raped and pillaged the Irish many moons ago, I'm going to move from one purple team to another, and switch things up a bit with my hometown (and least favorite) team, the Minnesota Vikings!

MINNESOTA VIKINGS

Nike did an excellent job with the Vikings in their redesign, and all I would do to that uniform is bring some consistency to the numerals and get rid of the black facemask.  But that's been done before, and isn't particularly fun or exciting, so I didn't do that (which is a surprise because I usually do all kinds of things that are neither fun nor exciting).  Instead, I went pretty hard on a redesign.  The numbers have a Nordic rune-like quality to them, and are the same ones I used as a concept for the Rochester Berserkers in my Professional Kübb League (shameless self-promotion).  The Nordic thread continues throughout the uniform, with Nordic knot-inspired striping that, on the shoulders, is meant to allude to their UCLA stripes Minnesota wore on their away uniforms for many years.  I also spat in the face of almost 60 years of tradition, replacing their longtime purple helmet with one of gold that makes more sense for a Viking helmet (even though Vikings never wore horns on their helmets), with matching gold pants now an option as well. 

7xo0Ss7.pnge3gX354.pngYjVcu8w.png

This ought to get some people talking, and if it doesn't, I might just have to put the Packers in blaze orange and camo to get your attention. 

Guest darkpiranha

You're a monster.  But I love it.

If anything, I don't think you leaned into the Nordic theme ENOUGH.  

Archived