Scottyeagle (Like Hundreds before Him) Does the NFL (Jags Update 2/28)

scottyeagle

Okay, I absolutely love that Vikings set. In real life? Probably not, because tradition and all that, but as a concept? It’s beautiful. I totally understand the direction you wanted to take and not just make something that everyone else already has, and in my opinion, you nailed it.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Editing to put this on Page 2 and because for some reason the away jersey didn't have a TV number on one side (that was not some conscious new-age decision)

7xo0Ss7.pngqvgd3gf.pngYjVcu8w.png

As I mentioned, my real-life changes to the Vikings would be very minimal; this is more fun and, I think, still looks good.  I'm more than happy as a Minnesotan to rankle the traditional views of the Olsons and Hansons who get mad when you don't bring a Jello salad to the Lutheran church potluck. 

It's a fun new type of set for the Vikings. Like you said, not what they should wear IRL but foe a concept its fun. My biggest gripe with these is the multiple colors of the celtic knot design on the uniforms. The home set has it in 3 different colors! I would try and find which way you like it best, maybe white knot on purple background with thin gold stripes on either side (or whatever set up you think will look best). Then carry that same set up through out the uniform. That would make it look more consistent and help with color balance. Also i think you need number outlines on each set.

Would like to see Tampa Bay next (if youre taking requests)

23 hours ago, GDLions said:

It's a fun new type of set for the Vikings. Like you said, not what they should wear IRL but foe a concept its fun. My biggest gripe with these is the multiple colors of the celtic knot design on the uniforms. The home set has it in 3 different colors! I would try and find which way you like it best, maybe white knot on purple background with thin gold stripes on either side (or whatever set up you think will look best). Then carry that same set up through out the uniform. That would make it look more consistent and help with color balance. Also i think you need number outlines on each set.

Would like to see Tampa Bay next (if youre taking requests)

Sure, I'll put up the Bucs next. 

Regarding the colors of the Nordic knots, while there are three different colors on the home, I think it does look best that way as it keeps all three colors in each third of the uniform and doesn't let gold and white touch.  The gold pants can also be worn with every jersey, by the way. 

Now, onto the Bucs!

TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS

Their previous uniforms, with some modifications: 

Inspired by ghost ships, I wanted the Bucs identity to be spooky, dark, and mysterious.  The towering pirate ship on the pewter helmet is meant to be like a ghost ship coming out of the fog.  The alternate should provide that same sense with a unique light pewter jersey. 

Colors are garnet, pewter, and their current shade of dark brown. 

A pointier font and a sword stripe that inject the identity with some of that ol' swashbucklin' spirit. 

TJvyLoj.png

mkhc6hg.png

FXw9vBA.png

Guest darkpiranha

Why not lean even more into the ghost ship angle (at least for the alt) and instead of it being a realistically-colored ship, do that thing where it's mostly monochromatic, but all the lines are a darker and glowy?  

23 hours ago, darkpiranha said:

Why not lean even more into the ghost ship angle (at least for the alt) and instead of it being a realistically-colored ship, do that thing where it's mostly monochromatic, but all the lines are a darker and glowy?  

Something along these lines? 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTbFa0cUZihREggJu2ZKzE

I'm giving it a go.  The ship logo does have a lot of small details in it that make it pretty tough to be rendered monochromatically, though. 

Do other people think that the numbers are too far apart? 

Guest darkpiranha
1 hour ago, scottyeagle said:

Something along these lines? 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTbFa0cUZihREggJu2ZKzE

I'm giving it a go.  The ship logo does have a lot of small details in it that make it pretty tough to be rendered monochromatically, though. 

Do other people think that the numbers are too far apart? 

More like imagine the lines of the ship are white instead of black, while the rest of the logo is otherwise transparent or maybe half-transparent grey.  But all the lines are also glowing with whatever the ghostly color is (orangey in the Bucs case), with the helmet itself being a neutral dark pewter so the logo jumps out.  

As a Vikings fan, that set is an absolute YES.  The Vikings have been adding more history to their brand-the SKOL chant, the Viking longships outside the stadium, etc.  I personally love all of that.

Although I can't imagine them taking it this far, I think the uniforms should be changed a bit to reflect it.

On a side note, thank you for introducing me to your Kubb Leage concept.  That's also well-done!

xglLy43.png38ekInb.png3T2CQrI.png

Hi, everybody.  Did you miss me?  After about a week of moving and getting that blessed Wi-Fi set up, I'm back in the saddle again.  I tried the outline thing with the Bucs helmet and just couldn't make it work.  So I'm pretty satisfied with what I have there now, and, in the words of John Fogerty, I'll shuffle off to Buffalo!

BUFFALO BILLS

Like the Vikings, Buffalo's redesign went pretty well, returning to an old-school look, and like the Vikings, I decided to go out of the box for this concept.  In looking for a design element around which I could build an identity for the Bills, I centered on the bold red stripe which runs through their logo.  It's strong and can evoke power, ferocity, and speed all in one.  For that reason, I gave the Bills uniform a treatment similar to the Northwestern football team, running that red stripe right through the jersey and utilizing wide red stripes on the pants, helmet, and sox.  Their alternate is their AFL throwback, which is just too nice to mothball.  Overall, the hope is that this new uniform direction strikes a balance between tradition and modernity while making their opponents...see red (someone come murder me)

lz1RyQr.pngQR88lXQ.pngHcjtqJe.png

I went there.  And you didn't.  Carolina probably coming up next.  Like, comment, subscribe, Venmo me. 

Love the Cards set, reminds me of one of my oldies.  

Is the stripe on the Bills jerseys supposed to just be on the front, or was it supposed to wrap around?  If the latter, it happens, man.  I remember a Flames concept where I forgot to place the hem design on the front.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Love this concept for the Bills. However, I would take the bold red stripe them even one step further with the most important element of the teams identity on the field, the helmet. Make the stripe red without any outlines, and the facemask blue. Keep up the good work!

On 3/29/2019 at 2:58 PM, Discrimihater said:

Love the Cards set, reminds me of one of my oldies.  

Is the stripe on the Bills jerseys supposed to just be on the front, or was it supposed to wrap around?  If the latter, it happens, man.  I remember a Flames concept where I forgot to place the hem design on the front.

Thanks! Always a big fan of your work.

For Buffalo, I did intend for it to just be on the front. 

And now...

CAROLINA PANTHERS

This one is a redesign more inline with something you've probably seen on these boards before.  It's more like my Falcons or Lions concepts compared to my work with the Vikings or Bills.  What I did: 

-Removal of extraneous silver

-Black helmet gives impression of panther lurking in shadows, ready to strike or some crap like that

-Bolder font.  Panthers are modern enough to get away with an italicized font (which I don't like in most football concepts)

-Pants stripe drawn from helmet stripe

-That's pretty much it

qMEyw8j.png

0lBDDWZ.png

9jwbh42.png

Who should I do next?  OR should I not do any team next, using my time instead to learn how to play the trombone, speak Irish, and train for a half marathon?  Let me know! 

Go learn the trombone. 

Says the guy who can only play one song on the piano, and is otherwise hopeless with instruments.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Fooled around and thought about combining black and silver for the Panthers to create an anthracite look for the Panthers.  It looks a little washed out to me, but it is something to look at.  Also moved to a white facemask to simulate a panther's teeth flashing white in the dark or some other brandspeak garbage. 

JwFMNie.png

Now, from one team with black and silver to another.

LAS VEGAS RAIDERS

This week, we received the news that the Raiders would not be changing their timeless look during their timeless relocation to Las Vegas.  I did stay relatively true to that, but I thought a new, bolder logo would be more befitting of a team in Vegas.  I also gave them a black facemask and black pants for their white and silver alternates.

XoOoV9X.pnglQkvA37.pngFb5c6b3.png

So there's the Raiders.  Something restrained but refreshed for their new haunts.  I'm going to do a different team after this. 

Archived