BellaSpurs

A Fictional History of American Baseball- 1887 Championships

Hey guys! Today I'm here with a big project! One that's been in my head for a while and that I've finally started executing. With big help from @Balu the Bare  I've been able to start work on a fictional history of american baseball. 

We start in the year 1885, when the world's first professional baseball leagues were formed. One, the Northeast Baseball League, is located in the New England area. And the other; the United States Baseball League, is located along the Ohio River. The leagues are not connected in anyway. The barely even know of each others existence. There are 5 teams in each league.

I will be creating logos and uniforms for each team, while Balu helps simulate and generate ideas. It's simulated using OOTP. Each season is currently 80 games, with the two best teams from each league playing each other in their leagues championship. 

Here are the league logos:

WJS59FN.png

6mDRC1U.png

The teams will be uploaded soon!

C&C appreciated, hope you stay tuned!

Current teams:

lm5m2Oa.png

So the first teams I'm going to show you are from the NEBL. 

Up first we have the Boston Sugarmen. Named after, well sugar. Specifically granualated sugar which was first created in Boston in 1860. Their colors are cream and navy. Their logo is a rounded script reading "Boston", that is also featured on their road uniforms.

avz7Oxe.png

The next team up are the Worcester Valentines. Valentines, was chosen as the team name because of the heart found on the flag. The city is also known as the Heart of the Commonwealth. Their logos feature a red heart and a W on either side of their jerseys. A big red stripe is also found on their caps.

cEpqFiS.png

The third team are the Providence Red Caps. The 'Caps are named after their, well, red caps. Something new to baseball. Most teams didn't color their caps, so it made it special to Providence. They wore cream at home and grey at home and had some of the simplest uniforms in the NEBL. Their logo is a P for Providence.

AMTtoyT.png

The penultimate team are the Deacons of Springfield. The simplest teams in the NEBL, their logo is an S for Springfield and their uniforms feature nothing special except for some striped socks. They wear white pants on the road to save money. Sometimes players wear there own pants if the they ever get a hole or something in their uniform ones. 

2ZWcHV1.png

The final team in the NEBL are the Manchester Millers. Named since most of the people of Manchester are millers, along with the players also being so. The only team to wear a color on the road. Their black uniforms have the word Millers across the chest. This also happens to be their logo.

rumBJCc.png

Well heres the NEBL. Hope you enjoy! I'll have the USBL up soon.

I'm glad that you're starting small with this. Take your time with narratives and don't get too far ahead of yourself that you get so bogged down. As a native of the Ohio River area, I'm looking forward to the USBL and how these two leagues are going to compete in the coming decades

So next up is the USBL, all teams are in either Kentucky or Ohio. 4 teams use a different uniform style then the NEBL, which was more common in the southern US. And most also don't have a crazy amount of money so some uniforms are mismatched. Here the teams:

First, the Cincinnati Rivermen. Named after the Sailors of the steamboats that went up and down the Ohio River. Their colors are cream and navy. and they adorn a big C on their chest for Cincinnati. 

WPriASJ.png

Next, the Louisville Stallions. Owned by a horse farm owner. He named the team after that. Their the only team so far to use green. Their uniforms feature their primary logo on their chest, a weird arrangement of the word Louisville.

mS5mrdK.png

The third team are the Covington Generals! Named after the amount of soldiers that volunteered for the civil war. The original name, Volunteers, was changed to generals, due to one of the Generals for the Confederacy, saying he would help coach the team. They wear simple uniforms. They're the only team to have a button down jersey. Their primary logo is a maroon C.

JxLuvY8.png

Up next is the Hamilton Athletic Club. Not much too this team. A classy H goes with the classy team name. A navy jersey with striped socks finish off their look.

pZxpMlw.png

Last but not least, the Dayton Eagles! Named after the national animal, the bald eagle. the team is the only team to use the color orange. They have the weirdest combination of uniforms however. Pants weren't provided to the players, so the white pants shown are only one possibility to what the team could look like. The shirts however, are cream at home and grey on the road. Each adorning Dayton's D logo.

QKB6b3r.png

Theres the USBL! A lot more unique looks here than in the NEBL. Don't get attached to any teams or looks however. Were still n the 19th century and a lot of things will change! The first season post will be up sometime this week!

Really good start, all the teams look historically accurate. I look forward to seeing how this goes!

This looks great, go Louisville!

Let’s play “which team will fold first”. :boogie:

Just now, ItsSlothy said:

Let’s play “which team will fold first”. :boogie:

Oof I say Dayton

I say Providence.

This is looking great. I like the 1888 start date. (I think that's the earliest for any alt-league here).

4 hours ago, TargetToad said:

This is looking great. I like the 1888 start date. (I think that's the earliest for any alt-league here).

It starts in 1885

Just a thought here: unless there's interleague play on a regular basis, it might make sense for each league to have six teams (or any other even number) instead of five.

Other than that, nice start so far!

The 1885 seasons have concluded! Here are the results!

NEBL:

Boston:

Across the country, the Sugarmen lead the NEBL in dominant fashion. With a 50-30 record, they were led by C William Lozano and SS Jonathan Irvine. Boston won almost all their home games this season. Scouting the best fanbase in the NEBL. The Sugarmen held their opponents to average of less than 4 runs a game. This helped their hitters by making it much easier to make big leads fast. Their pitchers were the reason for this great defense. Led by Ben Till, arguably the best pitcher in the league.

Worcester

The Worcester Valentines finished 7 games behind Boston with a 43-37 record. Big hitters Brandon Nutt and Jamie Thomas kept the team afloat while the rest of the sub par crew tried to drown them. With no significant pitcher, and stale field play, it’s quiet a surprise they even did as good as they did. A late season winning record, as result of Nutt and Thomas playing phenomenally, practically carried the team here. Otherwise a much more deserving Miller’s team would be here.

Manchester:

A good first season from Manchester. Started the season off well, but choking toward the end foiled any championship plans. Their solid fanbase should ensure the Millers continue to push for a championship.

Providence:

The Red Caps definitely had the most disappointing season, championship aspirations dusted away when a injury bug went around the whole team. A couple illnesses also knocked this team further down. But when they played together, they played really good. Hopefully they can stay in shape next year and make some noise.

Springfield:

Much like Louisville of the USBL, the Deacons played unmotivated and just weren’t good. At one point losing 11 straight. Attendance started to become a problem in the middle of the season. The team was already in a tight financial situation before this season. This doesn’t help.  It only goes down for Springfield sadly.

SihSrWj.png

Championship Prediction:

Boston has this in the bag. It shouldn’t even be close. With a hitting core of Lozano, Campbell and Irvine. I wouldn’t be surprised to see them put up 10 runs per game against the Valentines. Boston wins the series 4-0.

providence failed me!

USBL:

Hamilton:

In the first ever USBL season we saw the Hamilton AC come out on top. The AC were very top heavy, star hitters 3B Winston Reynolds, LF Nate Bracewell and 1B Alex Carrola gave the team the second best offense in the league. While a solid pitching core, led by Josh Klingel, allowed the least amount of runs all season. The team finished with a 46-34 record. Although some say they should’ve won more since Klingel didn’t start the season as the lead pitcher. That job went to Justin Stephens. Who went into the season as one of the primed prospects, until a ball was hit back at him in the third week of the season. Causing a scary scene where he had to be taken off the field with blood running down his head. This opened the opportunity for Klingel who never looked back. With a week to go, they looked to have secured their spot at the top of the league. Until getting swept by, at the time, 4th place Rivermen in a three game series. And dropping two of three to the Eagles. This let the Generals have their chance. The Generals finished the season on a six game winning streak. But a good final push against the Eagles at home secured their 1 spot.

Covington:

The Generals finished their first season 44-36, not far from the league leading AC. However, the beginning of the season was rough, the team who succeeded of their chemistry later in the season, was without a true leader on the team until about 15 games into the season. Over the rest of the season they went from the last spot to almost stealing the one spot from Hamilton. A fan favorite team, they’re credited to stealing the Rivermen’s attendance. Their fans traveled to every road game. They had the clear cut biggest fan base in the league. Their chants being heard from the Mississippi to the Atlantic.

Cincinnati:

The Rivermen, much like the Generals finished fairly close to the one seed. With a 41-39 record, they were only 5 games behind Hamilton. Some small bumps in the road led to mainly mediocre play. This is turn led to a lot of attendees shipping sail across the river to Covington to watch the Generals. The Rivermen are sadly considering folding due to lack of funds. Even though finishing with a good record, lack of a rich owner who could pay for the team, and lack of fans to come to the games, could lead to a future without the Rivermen in it.

Dayton:

The Eagles went .500 this season. The team maintained the second best attendance all season, and stayed pretty steady for most of the season.

Louisville:

Louisville had a disappointing season, only winning 29 games. They were in the bottom in most categories. Some players ended up refusing to show up to practices due to not wanting to lose anymore. At least they ended the season on a high note on a 10-0 win in Dayton.

7pjPzlS.png

Championship Prediction:

I say in a close series Hamilton edges out the Generals to win the USBL championship. With clutch hitting performances by Bracewell and one or two great pitching outings by Bob Godoy. Hamilton wins the series 4-2

Theres the first season! How'd your team do?

Hamilton doing good noice

The Championships are here! I'll start with the NEBL. Let's see who came out on top.

Game 1: Ben Till lit up the Valentines in a game where Boston’s hitting did less than expected. It started out well with the Sugarmen up 3-0 at the bottom of the third thanks to some good Base running by Will Lozano and Jonathan Irvine. But Boston’s offensive threats stalled as the Valentines tried to ease their way back into the game. Opening the 4th inning with a triple by James Thomas led to a run. Thomas then hit a home run in the 6th as he tried his best to lead the way for the Valentines. Racking up 3 hits on the day. The Worcester come back falls short in the end however due to a complete shutdown by Till throughout the last 3 innings. Where he racked up 3 Ks and only allowed two hits. Final Score; Sugarmen 4, Valentines 2.

Game 2: Another poor hitting performance costs Boston game 2. We started off the afternoon with Worcester quickly jumping out to a 3-0 lead. Shocking the fans at Congress Street Grounds. Some good hitting by Nutt and Ogden and a Ralph homerun put the Valentines offense into complacency however as after going up 3-0 in the first 3 innings, they failed to score again until the 7th and by that time the Sugarmen had slipped back into it. Off a Tim Day 2 run Homerun in the fourth and a RBI double in the 6th put the pressure back on Worcester as they went on to take the lead again and hold it until a deep double by Lozano knocked in another run for the Boston keeping their hopes alive. The tie would hold as the Sugarmen left Lozano and Irvine on base and went into the Tenth in the bottom of their lineup. The Valentines immediately had the bases loaded with 1 out. A single by Nutt got two in and gave the Valentines the lead. Then the Valentines held Boston in a quick three and out and got the win. Final Score; Worcester 6, Boston 4

Game 3: Boston’s offense finally clicks in a big road win. Boston finally produces some scores on the scoreboard with good hitting by Irvine and Day as Till only allows two hits all game and strikes out 3. James Thomas hits a 2 run homerun in the 4th in an attempt to keep Worcester in it. But the rest of the team fails to support. Dave Fisher allows 11 hits in 7 innings before being pulled. Final Score; Boston 7, Worcester 2

Game 4: Boston dominates again. Boston comes out and puts up 5 runs in the first and we’re up 7-2 before anyone had realized the game had started. This killed the Valentines spirits as their pitchers; Tetlak and Hoffman give up 16 hits while Mosquera records a record 8 strikeouts for the Sugarmen. Final Score; Boston 10, Worcester 4.

Game 5: Boston wins the championship in a blowout win. Much like the past three games, Boston’s offense clicked well and the pitching kept Worcester out of it. Big game for Lozano who had 4 hits in a clobbering of the Valentines. Final Score; Boston 12, Worcester 2

spacer.png

Congratulations to the Boston Sugarmen, the 1885 NEBL Champions!