MJWalker45

Redesigning the Alliance of American Football

Recommended Posts

SRk03Gu.jpg

Looking over the gear that's rolled out the last 3 weeks I looked to change up the looks and add a little more differentiation to the teams. I like a lot of the looks but I wanted to move away from the asymmetrical helmets and nothing being placed on the sleeves. So without further adieu:

 

* The fan jersey mockup is actually a soccer jersey made by a designer I found on Twitter. Since Starter jerseys are more or less old school it made for a great body for fan gear. 

 

ARIZONA HOTSHOTS

vHh9J73.jpg

DORjDhG.png

They have a good look but a minimum of red so I wanted to add a bit more to them to separate the yellow and green. Flames on the sleeves felt like a better altenative to simply placing the helmet logo there so that's why I made the call on that.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I felt that a team based on firefighters needed a bit of red. I think it helps with the numbers too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SyHcm3W.jpg

vuY4mkQ.png

Q4aDCGM.png

kacL6Yt.jpg

 

ATLANTA LEGENDS

With Atlanta colors clashing with San Diego and Birmingham I went with a a completely different look for their secondary helmet while going with gold instead of white for the uniforms. I wanted to take the Birmingham Bolts helmet design and use it with the Legends since it was mentioned by someone else on the boards and it changed things up a bit. The larger logo on the shoulders is also a callback to a former Birmingham team, the Fire from the World League of American Football. I also wanted the socks to stand out a little bit which is why I added the team logo there as well, akin to something the Cincinnati Bengals used to do with their socks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Atlanta's jersey and helmet match, I am all for it, right now, its two separate color groups.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, n312rb said:

If Atlanta's jersey and helmet match, I am all for it, right now, its two separate color groups.

Good catch on the helmets. I placed a chrome layer underneath the logos on the helmets. I'll have to go back and see what looks better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had difficulty getting behind the AAF team names as they just don't work for football. Take the Atlanta Legends. Does anyone really get the name? Why not just call them the Kings, Monarchs or something along those lines? The Apollos? Our team are the Birmingham Iron which have a very bleak color scheme and they won't even put their logo or numbers on the helmets. I hate their logo anyway as maybe something like the old Pittsburgh Maulers logo would work better but in the Irons colors? And maybe call them the Ironmen so the curling iron and ironing board jokes will stop lol.

Great work so far MJ. We can always dream they might listen but so far it looks like they're totally ignoring fan feedback.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Armorbeast said:

I've had difficulty getting behind the AAF team names as they just don't work for football. Take the Atlanta Legends. Does anyone really get the name? Why not just call them the Kings, Monarchs or something along those lines? The Apollos? Our team are the Birmingham Iron which have a very bleak color scheme and they won't even put their logo or numbers on the helmets. I hate their logo anyway as maybe something like the old Pittsburgh Maulers logo would work better but in the Irons colors? And maybe call them the Ironmen so the curling iron and ironing board jokes will stop lol.

Great work so far MJ. We can always dream they might listen but so far it looks like they're totally ignoring fan feedback.

With that being said I hope this fits the branding better than the current look.

XqzkMPQ.png

AjrG9mM.jpg

KbDIWST.png

 

BIRMINGHAM IRON

I think the monogram works better as the helmet logo than the football here. It actually reminded me of the Cleveland Browns monogram from the New Era hats in the 1990's. The numbers have a gradient to give the impression of being cut from iron with an outline to the numbers to aid in legibility. A white jersey is included as well for future trips to San Diego. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could you try a diamond plate pattern for the numbers?  It's probably over the top but it was the first thing I thought of when they announced the Birmingham Iron name.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, lbj273 said:

Could you try a diamond plate pattern for the numbers?  It's probably over the top but it was the first thing I thought of when they announced the Birmingham Iron name.

I made another uniform with different numbers and the diamond plate helmet stripe. I may post that later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your numerals aren't consistent.  On the hanging jersey, the fonts are different and on the full uniform displays the outlines are different.  Unifying those would be an obvious improvement. 

Additional note on your template:  you might want to change the hanging jersey so you can't see the inside label that has the Nike swoosh on it.  I can't complain too much about the design decisions you've made; the Legends one may be a little busy, but that's a matter of personal preference.  Just polish up those things with the template and you'll be good!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, scottyeagle said:

Your numerals aren't consistent.  On the hanging jersey, the fonts are different and on the full uniform displays the outlines are different.  Unifying those would be an obvious improvement. 

Additional note on your template:  you might want to change the hanging jersey so you can't see the inside label that has the Nike swoosh on it.  I can't complain too much about the design decisions you've made; the Legends one may be a little busy, but that's a matter of personal preference.  Just polish up those things with the template and you'll be good!

Good catch! I meant to have the 1 on the sleeves be used on the front. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

VMPWVhy.jpg

Cleaned up jersey and I addressed the Nike tag as well.

4XL22M8.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For Birmingham, I would try putting the logo on the sleeves and leaving the helmet blank. I for one kinda like the blank look.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

t1qwYql.jpg

jPdU1G3.jpg

4bwwEps.png

vcu2rG7.png

O28yM8G.jpg

 

MEMPHIS EXPRESS

With Memphis, I liked the original look so I didn't want to change too much from what they already use. Since they had already shown off a plain white jersey for their alternate I went the WLAF/CFL 1995 route and added the big jet to the front, though the intent is to make it as non intrusive as possible, thus the light shading instead of a full color logo. I also changed the team and AAF logo placements when putting the helmet together. It just makes more sense to me to put the AAF logo in the middle of the helmet where it's not competing with the Memphis logos. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

pr3vJbG.png

cfXecOm.jpg

 

 

ORLANDO APOLLOS

Originally I went with just sleeve caps but decided that a team based on space flight should have something that points to that. That's why the front features a "moon shot" yoke that goes up at an angle. The helmet logo moves further forward and gets the outline back to help it stand out on the helmet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MZTWjwz.jpg

JUEojTO.jpg

Y3ej3cF.jpg

ZnPXJCI.jpg

k9G58cq.jpg

 

SAN ANTONIO COMMANDERS

For San Antonio, I continues to opposite color yoke all the way to the sleeves and added the primary logo. For the helmet, I switched the reds and took the numbers off the helmet by replacing them with the primary logo. The pant stripe is also changed, using the blade from the helmet logo. I had considered using some other missions from around the city for uniform elements but I don't think they would have added anything to the team's look. And seeing as the actual team is big on using Alamo reenactors for celebrating scores I left them out altogether. Even though they can probably get by without an alternate jersey I added one anyways because they have a pretty nice color identity that not too many teams use. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SZ71Ord.png

9Sbyopi.png

rMJqKR7.jpg

IywSOm8.jpg

 

SAN DIEGO FLEET

With San Diego I gave them numbers that more closely resembled those used on Navy ships and added yellow pants rather than a lighter grey color. The only change on the helmet is adding the logo to both sides of the helmet and a lighter grey that is also used on the jerseys. I also added the sublimated striping on the front as a call back to the Patriots uniforms that Starter created in the early 1990s that used that striping on them as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been to a couple Iron games.

 

Man do they need a better helmet. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6i885Z1.jpg

7GZ98ow.png

 

SALT LAKE STALLIONS

Salt Lake rounds out the AAF teams. My intent was to take the helmet stripes and add them to the sleeves in a manner similar to the Bengals. I got rid of the gray jersey to aid in minimizing clashes though it's possible that they would keep it as the default away if they had two uniform options. Though I went with the actual stallion head I'm debating swapping the actual design back in instead but I'd like to hear some input on it. Which teams need to go back to the drawing board? Let me know. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.