Redesigning Minnesota High School Hockey

Section30

Sorry about the lack of posts lately, just got back from the cabin where I had no internet, I should be posting regularly again. Without further adieu here are the Fergus Falls Otters.

Fergus Falls Senior High

Nickname: Otters

Enrollment: 1,180

Rival(s): Alexandria

Class: A

State Titles: 0

State Tournament Appearances: 7 (1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003)

Home:

The Otters current home is very good in my opinion so I only made a couple tweaks to it. I added their logo to the shoulders and breezers and changed the shade of gold back to a more yellow gold which is an actual school color, rather than the vegas gold they currently use.

Away:

The away is a maroon version of the home/

Alternate:

THROWBACK TIME!!! For the Otters I decided to throw it back to what they used way back in the day. It features a old school Otter logo that I absolutely love. The striping is actually identical to their away jersey, but the numbers are changed and they are also now on the upper chest. My favorite part of this uniform is the alternate breezers. For the first time in this series a team will have two pairs of breezers (or they could just get breezer covers). Replacing the maroon pants are gold breezers with maroon stripes. I assume it will look weird, like the  Vancouver Millionaires jerseys the Canucks wore a couple years ago. Let me just say I am a strong opponent of light breezers (Like the Maple Leafs white out uniform) but I think that this would look unique and not too bad, plus it is historically accurate.

PDCfLiz.jpg

Next up will be the River Lakes Stars.

Let me know what you think, comments are appreciated!

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/7/2019 at 1:08 PM, Section30 said:

Next up we have the Brainerd Warriors who are coming off their best season in their teams history, making the section finals.

Brainerd High School

Nickname: Warriors

Enrollment: 1,862

Rival(s): Bemidji, Alexandria

Class: AA

State Tournament Appearances: 0

Home:

Brainerd's current jerseys are a bit too over the top for a home and away in this day and age, especially because they aren't throwbacks (to my knowledge). So instead I opted to base the home jersey off of the girls team's jerseys. I decided to use their Warrior helmet logo on the front of the jersey replacing the Capitals style logo they use on their current home.

Away:

The away is a blue version of the home, it is also based on the girls jersey. It uses the roundel logo on the chest replacing the helmet.

Alternate:

The alternate is just their current home. It is a good jersey, but I think it would work best as an alternate rather than a home.

Apwi9nm.jpg

Next up will be the Fergus Falls Otters.

I love the alternate jersey logo treatment. Curious question, what would the alternate look like if the grey and white were reversed? Two white jerseys feels a touch redundant. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Next up are the River Lakes Stars, a combined team.

Albany Senior High, Belgrade-Brooten-Elrosa High School, Eden Valley-Watkins School, New London-Spicer High School, Paynesville High School, Rocori High School, and St. John's Prep School

Nickname: Stars

Enrollment: 2,714

Rival(s): St. Cloud, Sartell-St. Stephen, Sauk Rapids-Rice

Home:

So the Stars current home is a really sharp jersey IMO, but it is just the Rangers jersey with their script on it and black replacing blue. So I decided to go with something else, I decided to base a jerseys stripes off of the socks on their away jersey. I kept them a black first team with red accents.

Away:

The away is a black version of the home, but I decided to emphasize white over black to keep them a black and white team with red accents.

Alternate:

For the alternate I decided to make a red jersey and decided to put the team name diagonally on the chest. The striping is classic hockey striping and is based on their current jerseys, I just add stripes on the hem as well as the sleeves.

T72rivz.jpg

Next up will be the Sartell-St. Stephen Sabres.

3 hours ago, bkknight95 said:

I love the alternate jersey logo treatment. Curious question, what would the alternate look like if the grey and white were reversed? Two white jerseys feels a touch redundant. 

I thought about doing this but decided not to for a few reasons.

First off I just overall don't like silver jerseys for the most part. I know I have given them to some teams in this series but those were more grey than silver, kind of like the Kings alternates. I just think the silver Brainerd uses is too light and looks bad on a hockey jersey to me.

Also, I kind of like having two white jerseys. Since the home team wears white in high school, you don't get to show any real flare in front of your own fans, but if you have a "normal" home jersey and also have a throwback or more special (like Brainerd's alternate) it could be used as like a second home.

Up next are the Sartell-St. Stephen Sabres.

Sartell High School

Nickname: Sabres

Enrollment: 1,191

Rival(s): River Lakes, Alexandria

Home:

The Sabres current home is a little too bland for me, the stripes are too thin or far apart and the wording on the chest are plain and boring IMO. I made the two blue stripes much bigger and a lot closer together. I also decided to use the logo used by the baseball and football teams on the front of the jersey.

Away:

The away is a blue version of the home, same changes were made as the home from their current away

Alternate:

The alternate is a fauxback using the same striping as their current home but with blue shoulders. The logo on the front is the schools official logo, I thought it had a old school vibe that I really liked.

41ElzNQ.jpg

Next up will be the Sauk Rapids-Rice Storm.

Up next are the Sauk Rapids-Rice Storm, I will admit that this is not the prettiest set by any means, but I tried to do the best with what I had. The Storm have a perfect storm of having really bad logos as well as a ugly color scheme.

Sauk Rapids-Rice High School

Nickname: Storm

Enrollment: 1,322

Rival(s): St. Cloud

State Tournament Appearances: 1 (2000)

Home:

The Storm's current home is alright, the colors are ugly and the striping is inconsistent, but the main problem is just how tiny the text is. I decided to keep the idea the same on this jersey but increase the sizer of the chest stripe so the Storm text is actually visible. I tried to make white more prominent than the yellow because I personally hate dark green and yellow together (maybe it's from growing up hating the Packers) so yellow is now just outlining the main green stripes.

Away:

The away is a green version of the home, this is replacing their current away which for some reason says "SARHS" on the front of the jersey instead of spelling out the school name or just saying storm.

Alternate:

The alternate is a bit of a throwback, it is almost identical to what they wore in their only trip to the state tournament. I inverted the green and black and assumed that these were the right colors for the time, I lightened the green a bit but I don't know for sure if yellow was used or anything really since the only image to base it on is black and white. I decided to make the jersey black to give them another color jersey option, also so they wouldn't have two different green jerseys.

DCYDnFy.jpg

Next up will be St. Cloud.

Next up we have St. Cloud, a combined team of kids from St. Cloud Apollo and St. Cloud Tech.

Apollo High School and Technical High School

Nickname: 

Enrollment: 2,927 Combined

Rival(s): St. Cloud Cathedral, Sauk Rapids-Rice, River Lakes

State Tournament Appearances: 10 prior to combining (Tech: 1945, 1946, 1947, 1948, 1950, 1951, 1952    Apollo: 1984, 2013, 2015)

Home:

St. Cloud's current home is pretty good, it is very similar to the Blackhawks stadium series jerseys a few years ago. I decided to use the diagonal text on the alternate but changed up the home a bunch. I decided to make the home a white version of the current away. I did make sure to remove the horrible helmet stripes.

Away:

The away is the same as their current away.

Alternate:

The alternate is a black version of the home and away, the diagonal "St. Cloud" text from their current home and the chest stripe is moved to the hem.

cnNohqD.jpg

Next up will be the Willmar Cardinals to round out the Central Lakes Conference.

Rounding out the Central Lakes Conference are the Willmar Cardinals.

Willmar Senior High

Nickname: Cardinals

Enrollment: 1,219

Rival(s): 

State Tournament Appearances: 1 (1947)

Home:

Willmar's current jerseys are alright, but they don't match. I decided to leave the arched Willmar with the number under it like the home jersey. The new striping is based on the striping from their away jersey, but I make the smaller stripe more visible.

Away:

The away is a red version of the new home.

Alternate:

The alternate is a modified version of the home, it includes black and puts their logo on the front. It isn't anything crazy but I think it is different enough that it would work well as a third jersey.

0dGaOSE.jpg

Next up will be the Granite Ridge Conference (All 2 teams!) beginning with the Little Falls Flyers.

Leading off the Granite Ridge Conference are the Little Falls Flyers.

Little Falls Senior High

Nickname: Flyers

Enrollment: 764

Rival(s): St. Cloud Cathedral

State Tournament Appearances: 6 (2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2012)

Home:

The Flyers current home is a white jersey with a purple chest stripe and sleeve stripes and a smaller purple stripe on the hem. I decided to keep the unique cartoon logo on the chest and used the full shield shoulder logo instead of just the interlocking LF. For the striping i decided to go for a classic one color stripe like the red wings and made the shoulders purple as well.

Away:

The away is a purple version of the home. It is almost the same as their current away.

Alternate:

The alternate is a completely new jersey I designed. It is black, I think they have enough black in their color scheme (logos, old jerseys) that a black jersey could be justified. I went with a two thick stripe pattern and gave them a script Flyers that can be seen in their arena (upper right, on a banner).

cRuD3Y8.jpg

Next up will be the St. Cloud Cathedral Crusaders to round out the Granite Ridge Conference.

I really like St Clouds, Home and ALT, not a fan of the red roundel on the away.

Willmar is clean and simple, with a touch of spicy with the added black in the ALT. Overall clean set.

The Little Falls cartoon plane is one of the best things in this thread. Also P U R P L E! The ALT takes the my top spot over Sauk Rapids.

God i never want this thread to end

Up next are the defending Class A State Champions, the St. Cloud Cathedral Crusaders, a Catholic private school in St. Cloud.

Cathedral High School

Nickname: Crusaders

Enrollment: 578

Rival(s): St. Cloud, Little Falls, Becker-Big Lake

State Titles: 1 (2019)

State Tournament Appearances: 9 (1993, 1994, 2004, 2008, 2009, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2019)

Home:

Cathedral's current home is classic, it is a simple yellow jersey with blue stripes and the team name on the chest with the player number below. I didn't change much because the yellow jersey is iconic for the Crusaders. All I changed is moving the stripes closer together and removed the white outlines on the numbers and text.

Away:

The away is a blue version of the home, it is also very similar to their current away. I made the "Cathedral" text is now arched like the home rather than diagonal. I also removed the white outlines that made the text hard to read.

Alternate:

The alternate is also almost the same as their current alt (I really like their uniforms already if you couldn't tell). The only differences are the striping being consistent with the new home and away, and I removed the school shield from the shoulders.

hiVDe3G.jpg

Next up will be the Iron Range Conference, beginning with the first ever state Champions, the Eveleth-Gilbert Golden Bears.

Up next are the first state powerhouses, the Eveleth Golden Bears.

Eveleth-Gilbert High School

Nickname: Golden Bears

Enrollment: 298

Rival(s): Virginia

State Titles: 7 (1945, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1993, 1998)

State Tournament Appearances: 15 (1945, 1946, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1960, 1993, 1998)

Home:

For the home I dug deep into the teams history and brought back their jersey from their dynasty in the late 40s and early 50s. The shade of gold is more yellow like what they have used for most of their history rather than the vegas goldish color that they actually used in that time.

Away:

The away is a black version of the home, it isn't historically accurate because it was never actually used, but it matches the home and is a really clean jersey IMO. This is replacing their current away which is just the Bruins jersey with their amazing, but very detailed, logo (it took me about 3 hours to trace it).

Alternate:

The alternate is almost unchanged from their current home, which also happens to be very similar to what they wore when they won their last state title in 1998. The changes I made were changing the cream back to white and adding their Bear logo on the shoulders and breezers.

zcsIIsV.jpg

Next up will be the Greenway Raiders.

Next up are the Greenway of Coleraine Raiders.

Greenway Senior High

Nickname: Raiders

Enrollment: 317

Rival(s): Grand Rapids

State Titles: 3 (1967, 1968, 1992)

State Tournament Appearances: 10 (1962, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1987, 1992, 2001, 2019)

Home:

The home jersey is the clasic white jersey with green stripes and arched Greenway. It is slightly different than their current home, I used the arched Greenway instead of the raider logo because the Raider logo is way too light so it was hard to see. 

Away:

The away is their classic jerseys they brought back last year for Hockey Day MN and the State Tournament.

Alternate:

The alternate is a throwback based on this old jersey I took a picture of at the State Tournament this year. I decided to make the white cream to give it an old school look. I  opted to use this logo on the jersey instead of the one they currently use because the lines are much bolder so it is better suited for a hockey jersey.

AZ7tss6.jpg

Next up will be the Hibbing-Chisholm Bluejackets.

On 3/29/2019 at 11:02 PM, Section30 said:

Thank you!

And as a graduate from Rosemount, I've just grown up hating them. They're our biggest rivals by far and there's a lot of overlap of kids going to elementary and middle schools or playing soprts with kids that wound  up going to the other high schools. So just the rivalry is why I don't like them.

My two oldest sisters graduated from Rosemount! If my family didn't move and I continued growing up in the house we did, I would've ended up going to Eastview instead. 

spacer.png

20 hours ago, WarriorFight said:

Holy :censored:, you are churning these out, and what's more is they're all class.

Thank you!

20 hours ago, CityOfWalrus said:

My two oldest sisters graduated from Rosemount! If my family didn't move and I continued growing up in the house we did, I would've ended up going to Eastview instead. 

Oh cool, and you're lucky to have gotten out of there while you could 😉😂

Up next we have the Hibbing-Chisholm Bluejackets.

Hibbing High School and Chisholm High School

Nickname: Bluejackets

Enrollment: 975 combined

Rival(s): Virginia

State Titles: 2 (1952, 1973)

State Tournament Appearances: 13 (1952, 1967, 1970, 1973, 1974,1982, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1994, 2003, 2004, 2011)

Home:

Hibbing's current home is ok, it is the Wild's pre Adidas green jerseys in white and blue with Hibbing on the front. I decided to use the three stripe style that they have used in the past because I think it gives a good vintage look while being colorful enough. I put the schools official logo on the front of the jersey.

Away:

The away is a blue version of the new jersey. It is replacing their current away which is actually very similar to the new jersey just with a new logo.

Alternate:

THROWBACK TIME!!! For the alternate I decided to use a throwback to what they used in the 80s. It features a lighter blue and the addition of red, it also uses a script "Hibbing" on the front.

wk2gGCK.jpg

Next up will be the International Falls Broncos.

Next up are the historic International Falls Broncos.

Falls High School

Nickname: Broncos

Enrollment: 614

Rival(s): 

State Titles: 7 (1957, 1962, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1972, 1995)

State Tournament Appearances: 19 (1950, 1956, 1957, 1958, 1959, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1983, 1989, 1995, 2000, 2002)

Home:

I went full throwback for one of the most historic schools in the state. Mismatched striping, weird script, and bad color balance, but it's still a beautiful jersey that is iconic in the state.

Away:

The away is also a throwback, but it is a mix of a couple things. The Broncos oldest jerseys that I could find were very similar to the home so I basically just changed the sleeve stripes to match the home, and changed the script to match as well.

Alternate:

The alternate is also a bit of a throwback mixture. I knew I wanted the jersey to be yellow to have a third color option, so I based the jersey off this old jersey they used. The thig was that I didn't want to use that script on all three jerseys. While digging I stumbled upon this old jersey where they use the chest stripe as well but have Broncos spelt out in block letters.

k5Es6Q8.jpg

Next up will be the Virginia-Mountain Iron-Buhl Blue Devils to round out the Iron Range Conference.

Archived