Redesigning Minnesota High School Hockey

Section30

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Next up are one of the most dominant schools in the last decade or two, the Hermantown Hawks.

Hermantown Senior High

Nickname: Hawks

Enrollment: 655

Rival(s): Duluth East, Duluth Marshall, Proctor

Class: A

State Titles: 3 (2007, 2016, 2017) 

State Tournament Appearances: 15 (1994, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018)

Home:

The Hawks changed to their current home 2 years ago, and the jersey they introduced is damn near perfect for the team IMO. The diagonal Hawks fits perfectly and the unique mustardy yellow looks great. The only change I made was removing the number from the chest. This is a great update especially considering their god awful old jerseys that they used for most of their state domination.

Away:

The away is a blue version of the home, it is also almost the same as their current away, the only changes I made were removing the chest number and replacing the diagonal Hermantown with the Hawks from their home jersey. Hermantown spelled out is just too long, the letters become impossible to read from a distance.

Alternate:

The alternate is based heavily on their current alternate, but is slightly different. I decided to calm the stripes down since this isn't a real throwback, so the striping is the same as the home and away, the shoulders stay blue but I remove the shoulder logos. The H is actually changed as well to match what the football team uses.

o6rFKWW.jpg

Next up will be the Proctor Rails to round out the Lake Superior Conference.

Let me know what you think, comments are appreciated!

Rounding out the Lake Superior Conference are the Proctor Rails.

Proctor High School

Nickname: Rails

Enrollment: 545

Rival(s): Hermantown

State Titles: 0

State Tournament Appearances: 1 (1997)

Home:

The Rails just released their new jerseys a year or two ago and man do I love them. I kept the home jersey almost untouched, all I changed was removing the number from the front, removing the black outline on the shoulders, and shrinking the size and amount of stripes so it isn't quite as crazy.

Away:

The away is a green version of the home, it is also almost the same as their current jersey. I made the same changes as the home as well as a couple others for the away. First off I ditched the cream, it isn't needed. Then I fixed the shoulders so they're the same as the home now, and finally I fixed the striping so it is consistent with the home.

Alternate:

The alternate is based on what the team used to use. I adjusted the stripes so that it is the same as the home and away just thickened.

6KntRGS.jpg

Next up will be the Mariucci Conference, starting with the Bemidji Lumberjacks.

Leading off the Mariucci Conference are the Bemidji Lumberjacks.

Bemidji High School

Nickname: Lumberjacks

Enrollment: 1,405

Rival(s): Brainerd, Moorhead

Class: AA

State Tournament Appearances: 8 (1972, 1973, 1974, 1976, 1985, 1986, 2015, 2016)

Home:

I really like the simplicity of the Jacks current home so I didn't change anything.

Away:

The away is a navy version of the home, it is the same as their current away except the logo is replaced with the diagonal Bemidji from the home jersey.

Alternate:

The alternate is a throwback that the team actually brought back for last years Hockey Day Minnesota which I was actually in attendance for (in the -32 degree weather).

gxO3LN8.jpg

Next up will be the Crookston Pirates.

Next up are the Crookston Pirates.

Crookston High School

Nickname: Pirates

Enrollment: 509

Rival(s): East Grand Forks

State Tournament Appearances: 0

Home:

I'm not sure what the Pirates current home is, but I'm assuming it is a white version of this. I decided to ditch this for something more like their old jerseys. The top of the sleeves are navy with a small white stripe and a thicker yellow stripe below it. The pirate head logo is on the front and the wishbone C from his hat is on the shoulders.

Away:

The away is a navy version of the home, the yellow stripe moves to the top of the sleeve to remain consistent with the home.

Alternate:

The alternate is a fauxback that is all blue and yellow. I keep the general idea of the sleeve striping by having the top half blue and the bottom yellow. The wishbone C logo is on the front because I thought it had an old school look.

OkZdX4E.jpg

Next up will be the East Grand Forks Green Wave.

Next up are one of the most dominant Single A teams in the state, the East Grand Forks Green Wave.

East Grand Forks Senior High

Nickname: Green Wave

Enrollment: 551

Rival(s): Crookston, Thief River Falls

State Titles: 2 (2014, 2015)

State Tournament Appearances: 12 (1971, 1980, 1982, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2019)

Home:

The Green Wave's current home is almost perfect for them IMO, it is a bit of a mix between the old bruins jerseys and the Rangers away jersey. The only changes I made were removing the number on the chest and switching the Bruins style logo for the cartoon wave on the breezers.

Away:

The away is a green version of the home, it is actually the same as their current away except for the red and white were reversed, I felt that the red and green was too garish but I think it looks good like this.

Alternate:

The alternate is a bit of a fauxback. The striping is based on their jerseys from 1971, but the EGF on the chest is replaced with the cartoon wave logo (I just really wanted to use this logo on a jersey) and the shoulders are green to make the jersey more balanced.

hDfmsBH.jpg

Next up will be the Moorhead Spuds.

So the East Grand Forks Senior High Green Wave? What a name. I swear that must be a Minnesota thing. I really like the green and red combination. I’m not sure why but I really like the Pirates striping, works really well with the colors. Also the custom logo is pretty sweet

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

15 hours ago, BellaSpurs said:

So the East Grand Forks Senior High Green Wave? What a name. I swear that must be a Minnesota thing. I really like the green and red combination. I’m not sure why but I really like the Pirates striping, works really well with the colors. Also the custom logo is pretty sweet

Haha, yeah we have a lot of long names, it's kind of funny though, I always kind of consider EGF a North Dakota school that happens to be in Minnesota with the amount of players that just move across the border to play for UND. And thanks, I'm glad you like it.

Next up are one of the most dominant schools in the state since the 90s, the Moorhead Spuds (yes they are named after potatoes and yes it is amazing). The Spuds have made the state title game in half (8) of their state tournament appearances, but are yet to win a state title.

Moorhead High School

Nickname: Spuds

Enrollment: 1,744

Rival(s): Bemidji, Brainerd, Roseau

State Titles: 0

State Tournament Appearances: 16 (1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1997, 2001, 2202, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2017, 2019)

Home:

The Spuds current home is a modern classic, I only made minor tweaks. I removed the number from the chest, it crowded the captains jerseys with the C or A and the number both in the small space. I also switched the shoulder logo from the roundel with the M logo to the M on its own.

Away:

The away is the same as their current away just with the same tweaks as the home jersey.

Alternate:

The alternate is an orange version of the other jerseys, their unique M logo replaces the diagonal Spuds and the skating spud logo makes its way onto the shoulders because there was no way I could leave it out completely.

JjwPrWy.jpg

Next up will be the Roseau Rams.

Up next are the second most successful school in the state, the Roseau Rams.

Roseau High School

Nickname: Rams

Enrollment: 609

Rival(s): Warroad

State Titles: 7 (1946, 1958, 1959, 1961, 1990, 1999, 2007)

State Tournament Appearances: 34 (46, 47, 53, 55, 57, 58, 59, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 71, 75, 77, 78, 79, 81, 83, 84, 90, 91, 98, 99, 00, 06, 07, 08, 10, 14)

Home:

Roseau's current home is just about as perfect as you can get for the Rams. The script from the 50s and the two stripes from the Broten era, but they are thickened to be modern, great jersey. The only change I made was removing the number from below the right side of the script, it was cluttering the script.

Away:

The away is the same as their current away just with the same tweaks as the home jersey. I honestly would say this is right up there with Cloquet in terms of my favorite jersey in the state.

Alternate:

The alternate is a throwback to their first state title in 1946. The Rams actually brought this jersey back a couple years ago for a one off game, but it was colored incorrectly and the stripes were wrong as well so I fixed that for the third.

x0giPFR.jpg

I'm gonna mix up the order to do the Rams biggest rivals next, the Warroad Warriors.

Next up we head to the real Hockeytown USA, Warroad. The Warriors are one of the most historic teams in the state and are a part of the biggest rivalry in the state between them and Roseau. Going to a Warroad-Roseau game at both arenas is actually something on my bucket list.

Warroad High School

Nickname: Warriors

Enrollment: 479

Rival(s): Roseau

State Titles: 4 (1994, 1996, 2003, 2005)

State Tournament Appearances: 21 (1948, 1949, 1953, 1963, 1969, 1970, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010)

Home:

Warroad's current home is... alright I guess. I decided to switch up the striping and bring back the Oshie era Bruins jerseys, these are also what they wore for 3 of their 4 state titles. The biggest change that I made for the Warriors was removing the arched "Warroad" over the native american head (which is actually loved by the local ojibwe, it's really an interesting story if you're interested in learning about it) The arched Warroad has been on their jerseys since this logo was introduced in the 90s and I have no clue why. The logo is great on its own and right now is crammed in a small space, everyone knows who you are already based on the logo alone. I also decided to keep the logo on the shoulders, I usually don't like when teams use the same logo on the front and shoulders, but it works for Warroad in a quirky way that I like.

Away:

The away is a black version of the home, it is also based on the Oshie era warriors. Same changes as the home.

Alternate:

THROWBACK TIME!!! The alternate is a throwback to what they wore back in the early 50s, including the inverted socks and giant front number.

U6lhhrw.jpg

Next up will be the Thief River Falls Prowlers.

Finishing off the Mariucci Conference are the Thief River Falls Prowlers.

Lincoln High School

Nickname: Prowlers

Enrollment: 612

Rival(s): East Grand Forks

State Titles: 2 (1954, 1956)

State Tournament Appearances: 13 (1945, 1951, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1965, 2006, 2011, 2012, 2016, 2018)

Home:

The Prowlers new home is a mix between their current home and what they use din 1965. I preferred the font of the TRF in the 60s over the serified version they use now. I removed the number from the chest as well.

Away:

The away is their historic away. The Prowlers brought this beauty back a couple years ago but they are using a different script that just doesn't look as good as the classic script so I brought that back, I also removed the number from the chest despite it being historically accurate, I hate them.

Alternate:

The alternate is a gold version of the home.

gd1JVu7.jpg

Next up will be the Mid-State Conference, beginning with the Detroit Lakes Lakers.

Only 16 teams left to go!

Leading off the Mid-State Conference are the Detroit Lakes Lakers.

Detroit Lakes High School

Nickname: Lakers

Enrollment: 834

Rival(s): 

State Tournament Appearances: 2 (1995, 1996)

Home:

The Lakers current home is alright, but I think it looks a little off. I decided to switch the stripe style and emphasize red overall. I also moved the DL logo to the shoulders and the Boat to the front of the sweater.

Away:

The away is a red version of the home, this is replacing their current alt. I decided to leave the sleeve numbers black to keep everything balanced and not super white heavy.

Alternate:

The alternate is a black version of the other jerseys with the shoulder and chest logos swapping spots. The shoulders stay red like the other jerseys and red is emphasized over white on this jersey.

o7cEY1t.jpg

Next up will be the Northern Lakes Lightning.

Next up are the Northern Lakes Lightning, a combined team.

Aitkin Secondary School, Crosby-Ironton High School, Pequot Lakes High School, and Pine River-Backus High School

Nickname: Lightning

Enrollment: 1,313 combined

Rival(s): 

Home:

The Lightning's current home is not very good. I decided to completely redesign the team based on the jersey the girls team used in an outdoor game a couple years ago. I replaced cream with white and made the home jersey a white version of the away. I did add an outline to the shoulders though, I think it makes it feel more balanced.

Away:

The away is a red version of the home.

Alternate:

The alternate is a black version of the other jerseys but with the team nickname diagonal on the front of the jersey instead of the roundel logo.

phgKXpI.jpg

next up will be the Park Rapids Panthers.

Next up are the Park Rapids Panthers.

Park Rapids Senior High

Nickname: Panthers

Enrollment: 441

Rival(s): 

Home:

The Panthers current home is bad. I decided to completely start over, I based the jersey loosely off of their current away. I emphasize orange and use the diagonal Panthers diagonally on the front of the jersey.

Away:

The away is a orange version of the home. It is a modified version of their current away. I thickened the stripes to a normal amount, simplified the stripes and made them consistent and made the shoulders colored.

Alternate:

The alternate is a black version of the other jerseys but with no white except for the eyes and teeth of the logo on the front.

e3iC56t.jpg

Next up will be the Prairie Center North Stars.

Up next are the Prairie Centre North Stars, a combined team.

Browerville Secondary School, Long Prairie-Grey Eagle Secondary School, Melrose High School, and Sauk Centre Secondary School

Nickname: North Stars

Enrollment: 1,123 combined

Rival(s): 

Home:

The North Stars current home is ok, but isn't great, I based this jersey off of the girls jerseys, but I ditched the roundel to show off the logo and adjusted the stripes to be more consistent.

Away:

The away is maroon jersey with a lot of black and a little white, when making this jersey I was trying to make something that looked "mean" and I think this is it. This is a maroon version of the home, but it is replacing their current away

Alternate:

The alternate is a black version of the away but with slight adjustments in the outlines of the numbers and logo to match the home.

7kmX9mg.jpg

next up will be the Wadena-Deer Creek Wolverines.

Rounding out the Mid-State Conference are the Wadena-Deer Creek Wolverines.

Wadena-Deer Creek Senior High

Nickname: Wolverines

Enrollment: 388

Rival(s): 

State Tournament Appearances: 1 (2004)

Home:

For a small school the Wolverines have one of my favorite looks in the state so I didn't their current home (this might also be their current home and the other is their old but anyways). I love the colors and the drop shadows on the numbers and Wolverines text.

Away:

The away is blue version of the home, it is also the same as the current away.

Alternate:

To finish off the set I decided to just keep their current alt. I'm sorry, I just really like their current look and there's really nothing I would change, it all works so well.

JkNpSFk.jpg

Next up will be the Northwest Conference, leading off with the Bagley-Fosston Flyers.

On 7/17/2019 at 5:57 PM, Section30 said:

Leading off the Mariucci Conference are the Bemidji Lumberjacks.

Bemidji High School

Nickname: Lumberjacks

Enrollment: 1,405

Rival(s): Brainerd, Moorhead

State Tournament Appearances: 8 (1972, 1973, 1974, 1976, 1985, 1986, 2015, 2016)

Home:

I really like the simplicity of the Jacks current home so I didn't change anything.

Away:

The away is a navy version of the home, it is the same as their current away except the logo is replaced with the diagonal Bemidji from the home jersey.

Alternate:

The alternate is a throwback that the team actually brought back for last years Hockey Day Minnesota which I was actually in attendance for (in the -32 degree weather).

gxO3LN8.jpg

Next up will be the Crookston Pirates.

Ahh, the home of Lester Nygaard.

latest?cb=20140226220224

Interestingly enough (to me at least), the script is reminiscent of the Fargo series poster. 

389f678ff14b87231d4b7394dec36016.jpg

The Roseau set is beautiful -- I love that throwback.  But really just wanted to give you props for your dedication with this series. It is impressive to see you continuing to put quality work into this given the sheer scope of this project.

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

11 hours ago, j'villejags said:

Ahh, the home of Lester Nygaard.

latest?cb=20140226220224

Interestingly enough (to me at least), the script is reminiscent of the Fargo series poster. 

389f678ff14b87231d4b7394dec36016.jpg

The Roseau set is beautiful -- I love that throwback.  But really just wanted to give you props for your dedication with this series. It is impressive to see you continuing to put quality work into this given the sheer scope of this project.

Thank you, that means a lot!

Leading off the Northwest Conference are the Bagley-Fosston Flyers.

Bagley Senior High and Fosston High School

Nickname: Flyers

Enrollment: 388

Rival(s): 

Home:

I actually really like the Flyers current home, I just don't like the black so I replaced it with maroon, everything else is the same.

Away:

The away is a maroon version of the home, it is much more gold than white, but there are thin white stripes still in the striping.

Alternate:

The alternate is just a color swapped version of the home to complete the set.

wAsBgo9.jpg

Next up will be the Kittson Central Bearcats.

Archived