Redesigning Minnesota High School Hockey

Section30

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Section30 said:

Thank you! I also grew up in the South Suburban. I went to Rosemount, where did you go if you don't mind me asking?

11 hours ago, tjs11 said:

Eagan! Small world! Went to a church right near the Rosemont-Eagan border so had lots of Rosemount friends

so the real question is, who do you got to win the tourney this weekend?

On 3/6/2019 at 8:23 AM, EJaws said:

so the real question is, who do you got to win the tourney this weekend?

I'm not sure who's gonna win it all, but I'm pulling hard for Greenway in A and Moorhead and Duluth east in AA.

Next up we have Roseville.

Roseville Area High School

Nickname: Raiders

Enrollment: 2,287

Rival(s): Mounds View, Forest Lake, Stillwater

Class: AA

State Titles: 0

State Tournament Appearances: 9 (1963, 1964, 1965, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1987, 2002, 2003)

Home:

I based the striping off of the Raiders current home jerseys, but thickened the black and removed the white space between the silver and black. I also put a silver stripe on the shoulders. "Raiders" is diagonal on the front of the jersey.

Away:

The Away is a black version of the home, it is loosely based on their old jerseys with a lot of silver on the black base and diagonal "Roseville" on the front.

Alternate:

The alternate is a throwback to the jerseys used by Roseville Alexander Ramsey back in the 70s, before Ramsey and Kellogg High Schools combined to form Roseville Area High School. It is all white with a black stripe down the sleeves and on the hem, the old "R" logo sits on the chest.

sVSlc45.jpg

Next up will be the Stillwater Ponies. I probably won't be able to most much for the next few days, I'll be down in St. Paul at the state tournament so I won't be able to do these as much until that is done!

Let me know what you think, comments will be appreciated!

Loving all these so far. So question from an outsider: is it tradition for the high school teams to use 3 "C's" rather than the the traditional C and 2 "A's"? or is that just a school by school thing? I feel like I've seen more of the former rather than the latter in pictures and from the tournament this year. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

On 3/8/2019 at 2:09 PM, bkknight95 said:

Loving all these so far. So question from an outsider: is it tradition for the high school teams to use 3 "C's" rather than the the traditional C and 2 "A's"? or is that just a school by school thing? I feel like I've seen more of the former rather than the latter in pictures and from the tournament this year. 

It all depends on the team. I've seen some with the 1 C and two A's, 3 C's, 3 C's and an A, pretty much any configuration possible I've seen.

Well after another great tournament weekend I'm back with the next team, the Stillwater Ponies. The Ponies new logo is one of the better ones in the state in my opinion, but is a little too over complicated, it was a pain in the @$! to recreate.

Stillwater Area High School

Nickname: Ponies

Enrollment: 2,059

Rival(s): Forest Lake, White Bear Lake, Roseville, Mounds View

State Tournament Appearances: 2 (2014, 2016)

Home:

So the Ponies current home is in the style of the stadium series jerseys from a few years ago with the jersey split in the middle with white on the bottom, silver on top, and a red stripe breaking it in half. I am not a fan of these jerseys. I decided to give Stillwater a jersey set based around what they wore in their first state tournament trip. The home is white with a thick red stripe in the chest outlined in black, the sleeve stripes are also thicker and the tv numbers are in them. Keeping with what they have used recently, I kept the player names on the back of the jersey, but dropped the different colored nameplates like the flyers as it cluttered the look IMO.

Away:

The Away is a red version of the home, the Ponies should be a red based team in my opinion so red is their main away jersey color.

Alternate:

The alternate is almost exactly what they used a few years ago, I believe it is based on the Blackhawks throwback from a few years ago. This jersey would be reserved for rivalry games if I could decide that lol, leaving the reds as the primary aways.

WeeIWIO.png

Next up will be @chcarlson23's White Bear Lake Bears.

Let me know what you think, comments are appreciated!

On 2/24/2019 at 9:22 PM, Section30 said:

Up next are the most hated, and most successful team in the state, Edina.

Edina High School

Nickname: Hornets

Enrollment: 2,740

Rival(s): The State of Minnesota

State Titles: 13 (1969, 1971, 1974, 1978, 1979, 1982, 1984, 1988, 1997, 2010, 2013, 2014, 2019)

State Tournament Appearances: 39 (55, 56, 57, 60, 62, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 77, 78, 79, 81, 82, 83, 84, 87, 88, 89, 96, 97, 98, 00, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 18, 19)

Home:

A year or two ago Edina added a strip of white in between the green and gold, I simply went back to their prior look with the green and gold touching. This is one of the most classic, and best looking uniforms in the state, not much you can improve on.

Away:

The away jersey is where things get a little different. I essentially just made this a green version of the home, but left the stripes the same and left the cuffs, hem and shoulders white to make a consistent look that isn't too far from their current unis.

Alternate:

Edina doesn't currently have an alternate, and I honestly don't think they need one, their main jerseys are so good already. But for the sake of this series I gave them a throwback to their jersey from 1962 which features a unique "Hornets" script that I really liked.

PyJZHu1.png

Also, congratulations to the evil empire for adding yet another title to their trophy case. It must have been hard having to wait a whole 5 years since your last one.

Image result for cake eater gif

Dang I love the current Stillwater home jerseys. Their current road jerseys are awful. For the first time this series, I'm not a fan of a set. No hate on you its a well done set. I do really like the ALT. I always liked that jersey. I just dont think it works well with the home and away.

1 hour ago, EJaws said:

Dang I love the current Stillwater home jerseys. Their current road jerseys are awful. For the first time this series, I'm not a fan of a set. No hate on you its a well done set. I do really like the ALT. I always liked that jersey. I just dont think it works well with the home and away.

That's fair, I struggled to find anything historically for the Ponies so I opted to just make the alternate a part of the set instead, thanks for the feedback!

31 minutes ago, MSO94 said:

Love the ponies logo 

Same here, it is just a little too detailed IMO. If they simplified some lines and dropped the highlights on the pony I think it would be perfect.

Next up we have one of the most successful schools in the state to not have a title, or even make it to the finals, the White Bear Lake Bears. As mentioned in the movie Fargo (10 seconds into the clip below)

White Bear Lake Area High School

Nickname: Bears

Enrollment: 2,500

Rival(s): Hill-Murray, Stillwater

State Tournament Appearances: 19 (1945, 1946, 1949, 1951, 1956, 1966, 1967, 1970, 1989, 1990, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1998, 2001, 2003, 2005, 2011, 2019)

Home:

The Bear's current homes are just the Penguins jerseys in their colors and with "Bears" diagonal on the front. I decided to bring back the Bear Paw on the front of the sweater like they have used for years and years. I also based the striping on something closer to what they have used historically. I also brought back the orange shoulders with an outline, but adjusted it so it matched the striping.

Away:

A black version of the home, keeping the Bear Paw on the front like their current away's.

Alternate:

White Bear is one of the oldest hockey powers in the state, so I knew I needed a throwback for the alternate. These are based on the jerseys used by the Bears back in the 40's when they went to the first two State Tournaments. Orange with black stripes on the sleeves and black shoulders, arched "Bears" on the front, classic old time hockey sweater.

QN6FuW0.png

Next up will be Woodbury to round out the Suburban East Conference.

Let me know what you think, comments are appreciated!

Well its not like they havent won a game at state or anything, . . . wait a minute. Praise the lord for fixing their home jerseys. I saw them plat 3 times this year, and I couldn't figure out what jersey the stripes were based off of. It just looks messy. These on the other hand are soooooooooooooooo much better. The ALT is nice and I think it would pair well with the HM ALT you made. We dont have to worry about seeing the Bears at the X for another ten years so its a shame these jerseys outmatch the current ones.

- Sincerely, A Still upset Pioneer Fan, who laughs at 0-20. 

Id like to see Woodbury with blue as a main color rather than black. Keep up the good work!

15 hours ago, BellaSpurs said:

White Bear Lake Area High School Bears 

is one hell of a mouthful. WBLAHS as an acronym might even be worse. Would it be simplified to White Bear Bears? Or Bear Lake Bears? Or White Bear Lake Bears? The concept is nice though!

They are almost always referred to as simply White Bear or White Bear Lake, the nickname is hardly used when referring to the team unless you just say the Bears.

7 hours ago, EJaws said:

Well its not like they havent won a game at state or anything, . . . wait a minute. Praise the lord for fixing their home jerseys. I saw them plat 3 times this year, and I couldn't figure out what jersey the stripes were based off of. It just looks messy. These on the other hand are soooooooooooooooo much better. The ALT is nice and I think it would pair well with the HM ALT you made. We dont have to worry about seeing the Bears at the X for another ten years so its a shame these jerseys outmatch the current ones.

- Sincerely, A Still upset Pioneer Fan, who laughs at 0-20. 

Id like to see Woodbury with blue as a main color rather than black. Keep up the good work!

Gotta love the rivalry lol. I'm glad you also like this more than their current jerseys, although I don't think their current jerseys are horrible, I just prefer non-NHL templated jerseys.

Archived