Section30

Redesigning Minnesota High School Hockey

Recommended Posts

White Bear would be better with a W on the paw if you must have a letter at all.  The B for Bears just doesn't seem to fit to me both in how they actually use it and how it works in your concept

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lbj273 said:

White Bear would be better with a W on the paw if you must have a letter at all.  The B for Bears just doesn't seem to fit to me both in how they actually use it and how it works in your concept

Well it’s been their logo for quite sometime now,  so to change it would be sacrilege..,

 

White Bear looks awesome! It really fits the history of the team, and the throwback is great...

 

And it sometimes sucks to be a Bears fan. We woulda beat Blaine, but our goalie wasn’t having a good night. And honestly White Bear probably would have a title if they didn’t always have to play Hill-Murray... for whatever reason it’s so hard to beat them..,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome work Section30. I've always been a big fan of high school hockey. Been a few years since I've been to the tourney, but it's always one of the best weekends of the year. Nice to see some new looks for the schools too. I honestly think every one of your designs has been an upgrade. Any chance of seeing Benilde-St. Margaret's? I went there, and we used to use a Red Wings template. Never was a huge fan of that, but we've had some pretty nice throwbacks through the years. Would love to see what you would come up with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, lbj273 said:

White Bear would be better with a W on the paw if you must have a letter at all.  The B for Bears just doesn't seem to fit to me both in how they actually use it and how it works in your concept

 

I agree that it is a little redundant to use the B, but like @chcarlson23 said, it has been their logo for as long as I can remember so i don't think they would change it any time soon. Thank you for the feedback though!

 

19 hours ago, chcarlson23 said:

White Bear looks awesome! It really fits the history of the team, and the throwback is great...

 

And it sometimes sucks to be a Bears fan. We woulda beat Blaine, but our goalie wasn’t having a good night. And honestly White Bear probably would have a title if they didn’t always have to play Hill-Murray... for whatever reason it’s so hard to beat them..,

 

Thanks, I'm glad you liked it! And yeah you guys definitely don't get it easy in terms of what section you need to get out of every year.

 

17 hours ago, AlKERN said:

Awesome work Section30. I've always been a big fan of high school hockey. Been a few years since I've been to the tourney, but it's always one of the best weekends of the year. Nice to see some new looks for the schools too. I honestly think every one of your designs has been an upgrade. Any chance of seeing Benilde-St. Margaret's? I went there, and we used to use a Red Wings template. Never was a huge fan of that, but we've had some pretty nice throwbacks through the years. Would love to see what you would come up with.

 

Tahnk you! And yes I will get to the Knights eventually, next I'm doing the Northwest Suburban and then the South Suburban, but I can do the Metro West after those!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rounding out the Suburban East Conference we have the Woodbury Royals.

 

Woodbury High School

Nickname: Royals

Enrollment: 1,933

Rival(s): East Ridge, Park

Class: AA

State Titles: 0

State Tournament Appearances: 2 (2007, 2008)

 

Home:

I really like the striping on the Royals current homes, but am not a huge fan of the script and excessive use of the lion head (3 times) so I brought back the arched "Royals" with the number underneath from their old jerseys. I left the lion head on the shoulders but changed the shoulders to blue and made them match the striping.

Away:

To be honest, the Royals current aways are hot garbage. I left the diagonal Woodbury, but removed the excessive outlines that make their current jersey impossible to read. I also gave the away jersey the same striping as the new home to make it cohesive, and get rid of the horrible striping they currently use.

Alternate:

The Royals current alternate is alright, but I'm not a huge fan of a team called the Royals using powder blue, especially because that's not even a school color. Woodbury already uses black as an accent color so I decided to just make this a set, giving them the same stripe style as the home and away, but making the stripes blue heavy to give the whole uniform a darker look. The Lion head logo finds its way to the front of the sweater, while the full body Lion now sits on the shoulders.

 

vswna6R.png

 

That concludes the Suburban East Conference, next up will be the Northwest Suburban Conference, beginning with the North Division and the Andover Huskies.

 

Let me know what you think, comments are appreciated!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Starting off the Northwest Suburban Conference's North Division we have the Andover Huskies. One of the best teams in the state the last two years that just couldn't get past Duluth East in the section finals back to back years.

 

Andover High School

Nickname: Huskies

Enrollment: 1,732

Rival(s): Anoka, Maple Grove, Duluth East

Class: AA

State Titles: 0

State Tournament Appearances: 0

 

Home:

The Huskies current homes are actually pretty good, I thought about just leaving them the same and calling it a day. But I haven't been a big fan of them using the Michigan Tech Huskies script on their jerseys, so I opted to use their newer Husky logo on the front. I then said screw it and redid the whole thing. The striping is based on their old jerseys but is now straight across rather than angled. The A logo on the shoulders is also the newer block version.

Away:

The away is a black version of the home, but with the gold taking prominence over white.

Alternate:

The alternate is a bit of a faux-back, but the striping is actually accurate to the home and away. The block A for Andover is on the front of the sweater to give it an old school look, the shoulders are black and the sleeve stripes are the same as the ones on the away. The hem stripes are adjusted to make the whole uniform balanced.

 

FLPYHfI.png

 

Next up will be the Anoka Tornadoes.

 

Let me know what you think, comments are appreciated!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Next up we have the Anoka Tornadoes. They use the Atlanta Flames old logo for their jerseys.

 

Anoka High School

Nickname: Tornadoes

Enrollment: 2,325

Rival(s): Andover, Champlin Park, Blaine, Coon Rapids, Elk River

Class: AA

State Titles: 1 (2003)

State Tournament Appearances: 6 (1985, 1990, 1997, 1998, 2003, 2016)

 

Home:

Anoka's current home is one of the better jerseys in the state so I didn't change much. The only changes I made were simplifying the shoulders and logo so now it is just the Flames A rather than that logo with Anoka arched above it.

Away:

The Tornadoes current away is a bit of a mess compared to their home, so I essentially ditched it. I made white more dominant than silver and kept the striping consistent with the home.

Alternate:

There isn't much to go off of for a throwback or alternate so I decided to make a faux-back using this old logo from their 1976 Yearbook, I thought it was really unique and would look great on a jersey. The base is cream to give it a throwback vibe, and the only other color is maroon. The striping is a simplified version of the new home jersey using thick maroon stripes and maroon shoulders.

 

G6WBb2v.png

 

Next up will be the Blaine Bengals.

 

Let me know what you think, comments are appreciated!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The North West Suburban is looking great. Was really excited for this conference. Anoka's fauxback is great. I wished they utilized that logo more around the school and city rather than just the block A. As you get around to Coon Rapids, might I suggest just red and white and exclude black? As an alumni, the student body hated the use of black as it isn't a school color and they would always look way too similar to conference rivals of Elk River and Centennial in every sport. Just kinda food for thought. You killed Andover, in a good way though. Easily the better logo they utilize. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, T-Bird91 said:

The North West Suburban is looking great. Was really excited for this conference. Anoka's fauxback is great. I wished they utilized that logo more around the school and city rather than just the block A. As you get around to Coon Rapids, might I suggest just red and white and exclude black? As an alumni, the student body hated the use of black as it isn't a school color and they would always look way too similar to conference rivals of Elk River and Centennial in every sport. Just kinda food for thought. You killed Andover, in a good way though. Easily the better logo they utilize. 

 

Thank you! And the just red and white for Coon Rapids is definitely something I will take into consideration!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Next up we have one of the better teams in the North West Suburban, the Blaine Bengals.

 

Blaine High School

Nickname: Bengals

Enrollment: 2,972

Rival(s): Coon Rapids, Champlin Park, Centennial, Maple Grove

Class: AA

State Titles: 1 (2000)

State Tournament Appearances: 12 (1992, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2015, 2019)

 

Home:

Blaine's current home is almost perfect so I didn't change much. I brought back the old underline on their script because I thought the new one was too fat and distracting. I thickened the blue outline on the shoulders so it is visible form a distance. And I brought the paw logo back to the shoulders and breezers.

Away:

The away jersey is a navy version of the new home, replacing their current aways which use silver for some reason and don't match the home jersey at all.

Alternate:

When I went to the tourney last weekend, I saw Blaine play and saw their students fill the stands in columbia blue, it made me wonder why the tema doesn't have a light blue jerseys themselves. The striping is based on their old away jerseys.

 

XRH3Sho.png

 

Next up will be the Centennial Cougars.

 

Let me know what you think, comments are appreciated!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Section30 said:

Next up we have one of the better teams in the North West Suburban, the Blaine Bengals.

 

Blaine High School

Nickname: Bengals

Enrollment: 2,972

Rival(s): Coon Rapids, Champlin Park, Centennial, Maple Grove

Class: AA

State Titles: 1 (2000)

State Tournament Appearances: 12 (1992, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2015, 2019)

 

Home:

Blaine's current home is almost perfect so I didn't change much. I brought back the old underline on their script because I thought the new one was too fat and distracting. I thickened the blue outline on the shoulders so it is visible form a distance. And I brought the paw logo back to the shoulders and breezers.

Away:

The away jersey is a navy version of the new home, replacing their current aways which use silver for some reason and don't match the home jersey at all.

Alternate:

When I went to the tourney last weekend, I saw Blaine play and saw their students fill the stands in columbia blue, it made me wonder why the tema doesn't have a light blue jerseys themselves. The striping is based on their old away jerseys.

 

XRH3Sho.png

 

Next up will be the Centennial Cougars.

 

Let me know what you think, comments are appreciated!

I found myself rooting for Blaine this past tournament, mainly based on the uniforms because they're so damn good. big fan of your subtle updates. 

 

though in full honesty, as an Idaho boy, the Moorhead Spuds are probably my favorite team 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/15/2019 at 1:58 PM, bkknight95 said:

I found myself rooting for Blaine this past tournament, mainly based on the uniforms because they're so damn good. big fan of your subtle updates. 

 

though in full honesty, as an Idaho boy, the Moorhead Spuds are probably my favorite team 😁

 

Thank you, yeah the Spuds are one of my favorite teams in the state because of their name 😂

 

On 3/15/2019 at 3:59 PM, IndianapolisCubs2009 said:

I really love this series! We don’t see that many HS projects here and I am enjoying every single concept! You are doing a fantastic job - keep it up.

 

Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 3/15/2019 at 3:59 PM, IndianapolisCubs2009 said:

I really love this series! We don’t see that many HS projects here and I am enjoying every single concept! You are doing a fantastic job - keep it up.

I agree. Not only is it high school, but it is well done. And not only well done, but "seen through". It's awesome to see a series that doesn't fall off the map after 2 concepts and updates as quick as you do and maintains quality. You're design eye is great in these, you make sure that there is a reason graphically or historically to every change. It's a fantastic series.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, tjs11 said:

 

I agree. Not only is it high school, but it is well done. And not only well done, but "seen through". It's awesome to see a series that doesn't fall off the map after 2 concepts and updates as quick as you do and maintains quality. You're design eye is great in these, you make sure that there is a reason graphically or historically to every change. It's a fantastic series.

 

Thank you, that means a lot!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Up next we have another team that has become more dominant in the last decade or two, the Centennial Cougars.

 

Centennial High School

Nickname: Cougars

Enrollment: 2,012

Rival(s): Blaine, Champlin Park, Maple Grove

Class: AA

State Titles: 1 (2004)

State Tournament Appearances: 4 (2004, 2013, 2014, 2018)

 

Home:

Centennial's current home is alright, but I wanted to make something a little less complicated that use the "normal" red version of their C logo rather than the black one. I settled on keeping the sleeve and hem striping basically the same, but flipping the red and black. I then made the shoulders match the stripe style.

Away:

The away jersey is a black version of the new home, the striping remains consistent with the home so the black stripes get lost in the jersey, leaving the classic solid stripe outlined style seen on jerseys for years and years.

Alternate:

The alternate is what i believe is their current away, first used in a Hockey Day Minnesota game last year, the Cougars kept it and used it in their state tournament appearance last year, the only change I made was removing the names on the jersey to be more accurate to the original jerseys they are based on. This jersey is supposedly based on one of the first jerseys used by the school, thus the giant front numbers. This jersey will be replacing their current alternates which use a grayish color with a weird texture on it, no thanks.

 

HnI3oMM.png

 

Next up will be the Elk River Elks.

 

Let me know what you think, comments are appreciated!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Up next we have the creatively nicknamed Elk River Elks.

 

Elk River High School

Nickname: Elks

Enrollment: 1,586

Rival(s): Anoka, Rogers

Class: AA

State Titles: 1 (2001)

State Tournament Appearances: 6 (1993, 1999, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005)

 

Home:

Elk River's current home isn't horrible, but it isn't what I would have them wear. I put their ER logo on the front of the jersey where it rightfully belongs. The Elks have never really had an iconic jersey, they actually have a pretty ugly jersey history. So I decided to just give them an all new stripe style, I think it works well with their colors and logo. The numbers are italicized to match the logo and also make them a little different than most other teams.

Away:

The away jersey is a black version of the new home.

Alternate:

For the alternate I used the script the women's team used for Hockey Day Minnesota a few years ago when it was in Elk River. The script was made by Eric Lichtenberg, here is a link to his page and some good images of the script and jerseys. I changed the jerseys though from the HDMN ones, opting for an Ottawa style barber pole striping pattern with "Elks" in the striping on the chest, the striping is essentially just the stripes from the new home and away blown up a bunch.

 

KyzQVZL.png

 

Next up will be the Maple Grove Crimson, rounding out the North division.

 

Let me know what you think, comments are appreciated!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dude ER is awesome! I wish that there was a MN HS video game with all the schools and with all the jerseys you have made. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, EJaws said:

Dude ER is awesome! I wish that there was a MN HS video game with all the schools and with all the jerseys you have made. 

 

Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Up next we have the Maple Grove Crimson.

 

Maple Grove Senior High

Nickname: Crimson

Enrollment: 2,295

Rival(s): Osseo, Centennial, Blaine, Andover

Class: AA

State Titles: 0

State Tournament Appearances: 2 (2012, 2017)

 

Home:

I took the stripe pattern from their current away but made the base color white and made black an accent color. I also switched the shoulder logo to the MG logo rather than the school crest.

Away:

The away jersey is a CRIMSON jersey, replacing their current black aways. The striping remains the same as their current home.

Alternate:

The alternate is a faux-back, it is gold with the old Crimson leaf logo on the front, classic striping, and no black leaving just the school colors of crimson gold and white.

 

2YdUF8P.png

 

Next up will be the south division of the Northwest Metro Conference, beginning with Armstrong-Cooper.

 

Let me know what you think, comments are appreciated!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.