Redesigning Minnesota High School Hockey

Section30

Oh goodness lord I'd give so much money for that Fauxback!  Thank you for using CRIMSON for our colors.  Recently the trend at the school is to use black for everything which is something I dont get at all considering our team name is a color that isnt black...

Let's go Crimson!

Fantastic work.  The Elks' third jersey is a thing of beauty

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, TrentTheTrent said:

Oh goodness lord I'd give so much money for that Fauxback!  Thank you for using CRIMSON for our colors.  Recently the trend at the school is to use black for everything which is something I dont get at all considering our team name is a color that isnt black...

Let's go Crimson!

Fantastic work.  The Elks' third jersey is a thing of beauty

Thank you, I'm glad you like them!

Starting off the South division, we have our first combined team, the Armstrong-Cooper Wings. The Wings are made up of players from the Robbinsdale Armstrong Falcons and Robbinsdale Cooper Hawks.

Robbinsdale Armstrong Senior High & Robbinsdale Cooper High School

Nickname: Wings

Enrollment: 1,982 (Armstrong) 1,580 (Cooper)

Rival(s):

Class: A

State Titles: 0

State Tournament Appearances: 1 (1959) *Cooper High School, before they combined.

Home:

The Wings current home's are a piped mess, I decided to go with something much simpler and more classic looking. I decided on a stripe style based on Armstrong's old jerseys before they combined.

Away:

The away jersey is a navy version of the new home with the striping remaining consistent.

Alternate:

The alternate an ode to the other school, Cooper. It is a red jersey with "Armstrong Cooper" diagonal on the front which is completely new for the Wings, but the striping is based on Cooper's old jerseys

Qs42dtC.png

Next up will be the Champlin Park Rebels.

Let me know what you think, comments are appreciated!

Next up we have the Rebels from Champlin Park.

Champlin Park High School

Nickname: Rebels

Enrollment: 2,801

Rival(s): Anoka, Blaine, Centennial, Osseo

Class: AA

State Tournament Appearances: 1 (1995)

Home:

I'm really not a fan of the Rebels current home jerseys. I brought back the rebels script from their old jerseys and the stripes are based on their old jerseys but the thickness is the same on the striping giving it a more modern look.

Away:

The away jersey is a navy jersey, I brought back the Champlin Park script. The striping is based on the new home but it is different so silver and white don't touch.

Alternate:

The alternate is a silver version of the home, but with the Patriots style Rebel logo on the front of the sweater.

Ih5CDZW.png

Next up will be the Coon Rapids Cardinals.

Next up are the Coon Rapids Cardinals.

Coon Rapids High School

Nickname: Cardinals

Enrollment: 2,006

Rival(s): Anoka, Blaine

State Tournament Appearances: 0

Home:

The Cardinals current home has potential, so I used it as a base for the new home. I moved the chest stripe up higher to the chest, and made the logo center on the stripe rather than be half on half off. I shrunk the size of the sleeve stripes and removed black from the shoulder logo. The helmet and breezers are also now red rather than black, the only black on this uniform is on the logo.

Away:

The away jersey is a red version of the new home. It is also an adjusted version of their current away. The roundel with Cardinal logo is on the chest though instead of the old English styled CR.

Alternate:

The alternate is a brand new jersey concept for Coon Rapids. I decided to throw a splash of black in since it is an alternate, but didn't want to overpower it. The striping is very retro inspired, so I guess this could be a faux-back. The intersecting CR is on the chest with the cardinal head on the shoulders. The tv numbers are lowered on the sleeves to fit in between the stripes.

i4xSb2h.png

Next up will be the Irondale Knights.

Up next we have the Irondale Knights from New Brighton.

Irondale High School

Nickname: Knights

Enrollment: 1,670

Rival(s): Mounds View, Spring Lake Park

State Tournament Appearances: 3 (1979, 1980, 1981)

Home:

The Knights need a complete redesign, their current home's are both boring and hideous. The 3D logo is the first thing that needs to go, and gold needs to be more prominant. I based the striping off of one of their old jerseys, but updated them so they are straight across rather than slanted. The base of the jersey is gold and white is held to an accent color in the stripes. 

Away:

The away is literally just the home with maroon and gold swapped.

Alternate:

Throwback time! The Knights have made the tournament three times, and they came in three straight years. I decided to bring back the jerseys they wore in their glory days. It is a white jersey with a maroon stripe going down the top of the sleeves and shoulders, around the ends of the arms it changes to gold. I tried my best at recreating the logo on the front of the jersey, but it was difficult because every image I could find was super blurry. The socks feature a mismatched stripe style to keep the throwback accurate.

aBXshKl.png

Next up will be the Osseo Orioles.

20 hours ago, NoE38 said:

Might have a little bias here since my school uses the same colours, but maroon and gold is such an underused colour scheme.

I agree, but I see it so much in Minnesota with both the Gophers and Duluth using those colors, I see people wearing a shirt or hat for one of the two on an almost daily basis lol.

Up next are the Osseo Orioles. Osseo has a closer place to me than any other teams thus far, my dad graduated from there and my grandparents worked at the school for years.

Osseo Senior High

Nickname: Orioles

Enrollment: 2,022

Rival(s): Maple Grove, Champlin Park

State Tournament Appearances: 1 (1994)

Home:

Osseo's current home is an unbalanced mess, too much orange and not enough black. I decided to bring back the classic hockey stripe style with a slightly thicker outline than traditional. I brought back the Baltimore Orioles script for on the chest that they used a few years back. The Oilers rip off logo is held to just the breezers because it makes no sense for the team name. The skating Oriole is still on the shoulders.

Away:

The away is an orange version of the home, replacing their current away which has the same issues as their current home.

Alternate:

The alternate is a black throwback jersey based off this image of what they used to wear. I knew I wanted to bring the skating oriole back to the front of a sweater and decided on reserving it for a throwback. The striping is similar to the home and away but the inside orange stripe is thicker and the white outline is thinner.

R1jFb4v.png

Next up will be the Spring Lake Park Panthers.

Next up are the Spring Lake Park Panthers.

Spring Lake Park High School

Nickname: Panthers

Enrollment: 1,567

Rival(s): Irondale

State Tournament Appearances: 1 (2015)

Home:

The Panthers current home is just the Rangers jersey with their logo on the front, so I decided to bring back their David Backes era jerseys which are kinda similar to the Blue Jackets. The red and white stripes on the stripes are thicker than Columbus though. The Panther in shield logo is on the chest and their secondary SLP logo is on the shoulders.

Away:

Their current away is also a Rangers copy so their new alternate is a blue version of the home, but unlike Columbus, the shoulder color changes so it isn't super blue heavy. I'm happy with the color balance here and that it uses all the team colors.

Alternate:

I thought about doing a throwback, but they have a really bad jersey history so I decided to just make a red version of the home and away to complete the set.

4MigJln.png

Next up will be Totino-Grace to round out the Northwest Suburban Conference.

Rounding out the Northwest Suburban Conference we have the only private school in the conference, the Totino-Grace Eagles.

Totino-Grace High School

Nickname: Eagles

Enrollment: 769

Rival(s): Fridley

Class: A

State Titles: 1 (2002)

State Tournament Appearances: 5 (1993, 1995, 2002, 2005, 2014)

Home:

I really like the idea of the Eagles current home, but the execution is pretty poor. The stripes are way too thin and I much prefer the script logo they use on their away. I took the main idea of their current yellow jersey, but thickened the stripes to a normal amount, I adjusted the shoulders because it was weird just having the stripes up top with yellow shoulders. I put the script "Totino-Grace" on the front of the sweater.

Away:

The away is a navy version of the home where navy and gold swapped places.

Alternate:

The alternate is a bit of a mix of throwback and faux-back. It is based on this old jersey they used, as well as using their current TG logo on the chest, kinda based on these old jerseys. The sleeve numbers are yellow with a blue outline while the back numbers are blue with a gold outline.

fUgZGPb.png

Next up will be the South Suburban Conference, beginning with the Apple Valley Eagles.

Starting off the South Suburban Conference we have the Apple Valley Eagles.

Apple Valley High School

Nickname: Eagles

Enrollment: 1,628

Rival(s): Eastview

State Titles: 1 (1996)

State Tournament Appearances: 5 (1981, 1992, 1993, 1996, 2010)

Home:

Apple Valley made a smart decision a couple of years ago by ditching the vegas gold to go back to athletic gold, at least for hockey. Their current home is a replica of what they wore when they won their only state title back in 96. I really like these jerseys and only slightly tweaked it. The biggest change is thickening the stripes and moving them closer together so they stand out more. I also added a skating Eagle logo I found on their twitter to the shoulders, and the Pittsburgh style "Robo-Eagle" logo sits on the front of the sweater.

Away:

The away is just the home with brown and white flipped, except on the collar and numbers which are now gold.

Alternate:

The alternate is a brand new, but influenced by their past uniforms. It is a yellow jersey like their current alternate (which they have pictures of on their twitter, I just can't find any on google). It features a chest stripe like they used to use earlier this decade. And the AV logo on the chest comes from their jerseys from the 80s and early 90s. It features the Penguins style "Robo-Eagle" on the shoulders.

oBD4Klj.png

Next up will be the Burnsville Blaze.

Damn that logo is godawful. AV has to have some sort of graphic design class where someone can smooth out the transition between the eagle and the penguin body? Not a bad idea, but horrible execution. 

Uniforms look nice though! 

Archived