Section30

Redesigning Minnesota High School Hockey

12 hours ago, tjs11 said:

Damn that logo is godawful. AV has to have some sort of graphic design class where someone can smooth out the transition between the eagle and the penguin body? Not a bad idea, but horrible execution. 

Uniforms look nice though! 

11 hours ago, lbj273 said:

I love the idea of Robo-Eagle but that logo could definitely use some cleaning up.

You're killing these concepts still though! Good work man!

I agree the logo could be better, but I honestly kinda like the "Ugliness" of it if that makes any sense.

Thank you both for the kind words as well!

On 3/19/2019 at 10:26 PM, Section30 said:

Starting off the South division, we have our first combined team, the Armstrong-Cooper Wings. The Wings are made up of players from the Robbinsdale Armstrong Falcons and Robbinsdale Cooper Hawks.

Robbinsdale Armstrong Senior High & Robbinsdale Cooper High School

Nickname: Wings

Enrollment: 1,982 (Armstrong) 1,580 (Cooper)

Rival(s):

Class: A

State Titles: 0

State Tournament Appearances: 1 (1959) *Cooper High School, before they combined.

Home:

The Wings current home's are a piped mess, I decided to go with something much simpler and more classic looking. I decided on a stripe style based on Armstrong's old jerseys before they combined.

Away:

The away jersey is a navy version of the new home with the striping remaining consistent.

Alternate:

The alternate an ode to the other school, Cooper. It is a red jersey with "Armstrong Cooper" diagonal on the front which is completely new for the Wings, but the striping is based on Cooper's old jerseys

Next up will be the Champlin Park Rebels.

Let me know what you think, comments are appreciated!

I went to Armstrong in the 1990s and knew plenty of good hockey players that wouldn't have had a prayer of playing varsity.  It's strange to see them combined with (for most sports) their arch enemies.  

NHLers that went to Armstrong: Todd Richards and Hobey Baker winner Jordan Leopold.

2 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

I went to Armstrong in the 1990s and knew plenty of good hockey players that wouldn't have had a prayer of playing varsity.  It's strange to see them combined with (for most sports) their arch enemies.  

NHLers that went to Armstrong: Todd Richards and Hobey Baker winner Jordan Leopold.

Yeah, it's always a shame to see teams that are forced to combine or drop the sport all together. I actually left the rivals category blank for them because all I could find for rivals of either was the other.

Next up are the Burnsville Blaze.

Burnsville High School

Nickname: Blaze

Enrollment: 2,611

Rival(s): Lakeville South, Lakeville North, Prior Lake

Class: AA

State Titles: 2 (1985, 1986)

State Tournament Appearances: 9 (1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1990, 1991, 2007, 2016)

Home:

There is only one way that Burnsville should ever look. They switched up their classic uniforms this year and it's awful. All I did was bring back their iconic jerseys, I simplified them by removing the Bruins style B logo from the shoulders and the number on the upper chest.

Away:

The away jersey is a black version of the home, again it is just a slightly simplified version of their classic look.

Alternate:

The alternate is essentially a yellow version of their old alternate which features classic hockey stripes and "Blaze" diagonally across the chest.

0PpmyMd.png

Next up will be the Eagan Wildcats.

Up next we have one of the teams I personally hate, the Eagan Wildcats

Eagan High School

Nickname: Wildcats

Enrollment: 2,020

Rival(s): Rosemount, Eastview

State Tournament Appearances: 4 (2006, 2011, 2012, 2014)

Home:

Eagan's current home is just the Rangers away jersey in blue and green so I knew I had to switch that up. The striping is based on what they wore in an outdoor game a few years ago. I kept the drop shadow on the diagonal Wildcats and numbers.

Away:

The away jersey is a blue version of the home with Eagan on the chest rather than Wildcats.

Alternate:

The alternate is a green version of the home and away. To my knowledge Eagan has ever used a green jersey which is surprising since its one of their school colors so I thought I'd give them their first. The jumping wildcat roundel is on the chest and the wildcat alone is on the shoulders.

jm6bs7g.png

Next up will be the Eastview Lighting.

On 3/21/2019 at 9:14 PM, Section30 said:

Next up are the Coon Rapids Cardinals.

Coon Rapids High School

Nickname: Cardinals

Enrollment: 2,006

Rival(s): Anoka, Blaine

State Tournament Appearances: 0

Home:

The Cardinals current home has potential, so I used it as a base for the new home. I moved the chest stripe up higher to the chest, and made the logo center on the stripe rather than be half on half off. I shrunk the size of the sleeve stripes and removed black from the shoulder logo. The helmet and breezers are also now red rather than black, the only black on this uniform is on the logo.

Away:

The away jersey is a red version of the new home. It is also an adjusted version of their current away. The roundel with Cardinal logo is on the chest though instead of the old English styled CR.

Alternate:

The alternate is a brand new jersey concept for Coon Rapids. I decided to throw a splash of black in since it is an alternate, but didn't want to overpower it. The striping is very retro inspired, so I guess this could be a faux-back. The intersecting CR is on the chest with the cardinal head on the shoulders. The tv numbers are lowered on the sleeves to fit in between the stripes.

i4xSb2h.png

Next up will be the Irondale Knights.

These have all looked great! I kind of wished u based the alternate of the Cardinals off of this little jersey from a movie we know.

Up next we have another team I personally hate, the Eastview Lightning.

Eastview High School

Nickname: Lightning

Enrollment: 2,207

Rival(s): Rosemount, Apple Valley, Eagan

State Tournament Appearances: 2 (2001, 2013)

Home:

I actually think the Lightning's current home is a really good looking jersey so I didn't change much. The only thing I did differently is replacing the diagonal "Lighting" text on the front with a Lighting script that I based on the script from their old away. The numbers also are now blue with a black outline instead of the inverse.

Away:

The away jersey is a black version of the home with the script saying Eastview instead of Lightning. The striping remains accurate to the striping on the home.

Alternate:

The alternate is actually just a slightly modified version of their current away. I removed silver from the logo and use the new number font.

Sd84xeJ.png

Next up will be the Farmington Tigers.

Everything has been sweet lately! I gotta ask, whats the beef with Eagan and Eastview

4 hours ago, EJaws said:

Everything has been sweet lately! I gotta ask, whats the beef with Eagan and Eastview

Thank you!

And as a graduate from Rosemount, I've just grown up hating them. They're our biggest rivals by far and there's a lot of overlap of kids going to elementary and middle schools or playing soprts with kids that wound  up going to the other high schools. So just the rivalry is why I don't like them.

Next up we have the Farmington Tigers.

Farmington Senior High

Nickname: Tigers

Enrollment: 2,145

Rival(s): Lakeville North

State Tournament Appearances: 3 (1994, 2000, 2016)

Home:

Farmington used to have a perfect home jersey IMO, but then they went and ruined it this season. I simply brought back their old home and put the paw print logo on their shoulders and got rid of the stripe on the breezers.

Away:

So the Tigers at least kept their away jerseys unchanged, at least so far. So the only change here is adding the paw print to the shoulders and removing the breezers stripes.

Alternate:

The alternate is the exact same as their current alt. The only pictures of it I could find are on their twitter, but I honestly considered basing the home and away off of this, it is a beautiful jersey in person. It would probably be in my top 10 in the state, I just wish I could find a good picture of it.

R3BVN19.png

Next up will be the Lakeville North Panthers.

So I've never seen the Farmington ALT before. That thing looks fresh as hell. Please bring Lakeville North back to the Nordiques, but please dont make them Blackhawk rip off

Next up we have one of the newest powerhouses in the state, the Lakeville North Panthers.

Lakeville North High School

Nickname: Panthers

Enrollment: 1,778

Rival(s): Lakeville South, Farmington, Burnsville

State Titles: 1 (2015)

State Tournament Appearances: 10 (2002*, 2003*, 2004*, 2006, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2018)

* Means prior to South splitting off

Home:

Lakeville North used to have a simple, classy, sweater. But this year they switched to Adidas who ruined everything by giving them a red and white Toronto rip off. I essentially just brought back their Blackhawks style (the Blackhawks stripes are black-red-black not red-black-red) with a few tweaks here and there. I kept the Nordiques style logo on the front and the Panther head on the shoulders. Really the only major change I made was slightly thickening the red and black stripes, just barely. The stripe on the breezers reflect the new stripes.

Away:

The away jersey is all new for North, it is a red version of the new home with red and white swapping places. Rather than bring back their Blackhawks rip offs I decided to keep the striping consistent with the home even if it is a little hard to see the black stripe, you still know it's there. The only pictures I could see of their twitter so I can't show you it, but it is essentially just the Canadiens home jersey with black instead of blue.

Alternate:

Rounding out the set we have a black version of the home and away, bringing back my favorite jersey of theirs prior to the Adidas takeover.

UDeHkAw.png

Next up will be the Lakeville South Cougars.

3 minutes ago, EJaws said:

So I've never seen the Farmington ALT before. That thing looks fresh as hell. Please bring Lakeville North back to the Nordiques, but please dont make them Blackhawk rip off

While looking for Lakeville North I found a picture of that Farmington alt. It isn't a great look, but it's the best I've seen so far. And I think that I did a good enough job of bringing back North's old jerseys without being a direct Blackhawks clone, let me know what you think.

Image result for lakeville north high school hockey 2019

Staying in Lakeville, next up are the Cougars from Lakeville South.

Lakeville South High School

Nickname: Cougars

Enrollment: 1,825

Rival(s): Lakeville North, Burnsville

State Tournament Appearances: 4 (2008, 2012, 2017, 2019)

Home:

Lakeville South changed their jerseys this year, and introduced a new logo... So I ditched that because, wow is that logo bad. The striping is based on their old away jersey which I really liked. Cougars is now diagonal across the chest similar to the girls team. Their block S logo is on the shoulders and breezers instead of the outdated LS logo they used currently.

Away:

The away jersey is a maroon version of the home with emphasis on gold over white. This is replacing their current away which has WAYYYY too much going on with the letters and the ugly logo.

Alternate:

The alternate is essentially bringing back their old away, gold base with maroon and white stripes. I brought back the Rangers style logo that they used in an outdoor game a few years ago, but I removed all of the black.

gaNEFMl.png

Next up will be the Prior Lake Lakers.

South is very well done. Kind of how I always envisioned them. If a city or school can have a vibe, this certainly has a definite South vibe

Up next we have the cleverly named Prior Lake Lakers.

Prior Lake High School

Nickname: Lakers

Enrollment: 2,566

Rival(s): Shakopee, Burnsville

State Tournament Appearances: 0

Home:

The Lakers current home's are some of the worst hockey jerseys I've ever seen, a complete redesign was in order. I slightly simplified their logo by removing the thin outlining around the blue script leaving just blue with a white outline on the logo. I kept the jersey color yellow because I've always thought of them as a blue and yellow team with white accents. The striping is unique and new to the school, I thought it looked good lol. The Lakers are one of those teams that just can't seem to pick whether they want blue or gold helmets, so I decided to make the decision for them, gold.

Away:

The away jersey is a blue version of the home, the stripes do not change at all giving it a new look that I really like. The numbers and logo are gold with a blue outline which has a thin white outlining around that. I did this because the gold on white was almost impossible to see. This replaces their current away which might actually somehow be worse than their current home.

Alternate:

The alternate is the same as their current alt, if it aint broke don't fix it right? I also just think this is a pretty classy uni and Prior Lake doesn't really have much of a jersey history to base a throwback on.

LzbgVlw.png

Next up will be my alma mater, the Rosemount Irish.

Man, these high schools aren't the best at coming up with creative names. Great work on Prior Lake!

14 minutes ago, NoE38 said:

Man, these high schools aren't the best at coming up with creative names. Great work on Prior Lake!

Minnesota schools in general seem to struggle with creative names, just look at some of these teams the MIAC (division 3 league with all teams from MN)

• Augsburg Auggies
  • Gustavus Gusties
  • St. Johns Johnnies
  • St. Olaf Oles
  • St. Thomas Thommies

These are all real nicknames... it's a very creative league I swear

6 hours ago, NoE38 said:

To be fair, a lot of these more generic names come from the fact that there were A LOT of high schools that had mascots such as the Braves, Indians, Mohawks, etc that had to change their nicknames.

And the more creative nicknames in MN high schools come from the smaller schools that literally are too small to have a hockey program or they simply haven't been featured.  The Blooming Prairie Awesome Blossoms, the Aitkin Gobblers, the Sauk Centre Streeters, Grand Meadow Superlarks, Stillwater Ponies, Moorehead Spuds, Minneapolis-Roosevelt Teddies, the WABASSO RABBITS, Granite Falls Kilowatts.

And of course my Dad's alma-mater: the Minneota Vikings (no typo) from lovely Minneota, Minnesota.

There's a lot of Cardinals, Eagles, Tigers and Panthers but I have to imagine that's similar for all the states in America.  There's common ones and outliers.

Go Crimson!