Redesigning Minnesota High School Hockey

Section30

Next up we have my alma mater, the Rosemount Irish. (I apologize in advance, my explanations are going to be very long for this one)

Rosemount High School

Nickname: Irish

Enrollment: 2,193

Rival(s): Eastview, Eagan

Class: AA

State Titles: 0

State Tournament Appearances: 1 (1992)

Home:

One thing I need to say before acknowledging anything else, I HATE when hockey teams wear helmets meant to look like football helmets (I'm looking at you Big 10 hockey) so I was not very happy when I found out my old high school decided to go out and buy Michigan style helmets for the hockey team. I like the idea, Rosemount is a major football school, so to use the winged helmet makes sense, but I still hate it. So that's the first thing I got rid of when I started the Irish. I've always really liked Rosemount in just blue and gold, with no white, so that was my basis for the home jersey. It is a gold jersey, like their current home which looks strangely similar to a couple old jersey designs I made years ago... cough cough.... Anyways, I removed the chest stripe and all of the green and white from the current jersey leaving just blue and gold. I used the script "Irish" that I made when I did my versions of redesigning the high school last year on the chest, and blue shamrocks are on the shoulders, no logos are found on the socks (Logos don't belong on socks, ever). The striping is fairly simple, with the stripes on the sleeves meant to mimic the wings on the football helmets (See, it can be done without ruining your helmet).

Away:

The away jersey is a blue version of the home with the blue and gold just completely swapping. This is actually kind of a mix between their current away and the girls jerseys.

Alternate:

The alternate is a "throwback"? It is a mismatch of elements from past jerseys. The chest logo is from the schools first hockey team back in 1971. The shoulder logo features a cleaned up version of the skating leprechaun logo that the team used to use, the striping is based off of the original teams jerseys, but is recolored to match their jerseys from a few years ago.

The jerseys that the team used this year were actually pretty good, but then again that could just be me happy they moved on from quite possibly some of the ugliest jerseys I've ever seen. This is the home and here is the away... Horrible color usage, horrible striping, horrible logo, just overall horrible.

5KzFUS0.png

Rounding out the South Suburban will be the Shakopee Sabres.

Let me know what you think, comments are appreciated!

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rounding out the South Suburban Conference we have one of the leagues newest members, the Shakopee (Shock-oh-pee) Sabers. 

Shakopee High School

Nickname: Sabers

Enrollment: 1,810

Rival(s): Prior Lake

State Tournament Appearances: 1 (2005)

Home:

The Sabers current home is pretty solid, but it is too close to my ideal Lakeville North, and since North is the "bigger" school I decided Shakopee would be the one that needed to change. I based the striping off of the girls team but added a white gap between the red and black. I inverted the Sabers and numbers so they are now black with a red outline, and I moved the Saber cat logo to the shoulders rather than the upper chest. I changed the breezers to red, like they used to use, to further seperate their look from Lakeville North as well as add a little extra "flavor" to their unis.

Away:

The away jersey is just the home jersey with black and white swapped.

Alternate:

The alternate is a red jersey with the same stripe style as the home or away, but both of the usual stripes are now black and the small area between them is white. The Saber cat logo moves to the front of the sweater.

bSJyvX2.png

That concludes the South Suburban Conference, next up will be the Metro West Conference, beginning with the Benilde-St. Margaret's Red Knights

Leading off the Metro West Conference we have a private school from St. Louis Park, the Benilde-St. Margaret's Red Knights.

Benilde-St. Margaret's

Nickname: Red Knights

Enrollment: 1,184

Rival(s): Orono, St. Louis Park

State Titles: 3 (1999 A, 2001 A, 2012)

State Tournament Appearances: 16 (1961*, 1963*, 1964*, 1965*, 1966*, 1967*, 1969*, 1970*, 1971*, 1972*, 1973*, 1974*, 1999 A, 2001 A, 2008, 2012)

A means single A tournament, * means private school tournament.

Home:

Benilde's current home is pretty good, they switched over to Adidas this year, replacing their old Red Wings clones. I decided to not use their current home though because it doesn't match their away at all. The new home is based off of the old Red Wings style jerseys, but with white sleeves and red shoulders. The Red Knight sits on the front of the sweater now, but the unnecessary outline is gone.

Away:

The away jersey is just the home jersey inverted, replacing the Leafs template that they got this year.

Alternate:

The alternate is throwback to what the Knights wore back in the 60s. The Red Knights actually wore something similar to these a few years ago for Hockey Day Minnesota, but they weren't as accurate and they included black for no reason.

vtXSIOL.png

Next up will be the Bloomington Kennedy Eagles.

Up next we have the Bloomington Kennedy Eagles.

John F. Kennedy High School

Nickname: Eagles

Enrollment: 1,646

Rival(s): Jefferson

Class: A

State Titles: 1 (1987)

State Tournament Appearances: 7 (1966, 1976, 1983, 1984, 1987, 1990, 1991)

Home:

Kennedy's current home is a Rangers template with Eagles diagonal down the front. Overall is is a good looking jersey so I didn't separate far from them. I decided to use the script Kennedy from their current away and simplified the shoulders.

Away:

The away jersey is the exact same as their current home, I just fixed the stripe consistency on the socks and breezers.

Alternate:

The alternate is throwback to what the Eagles wore back in 1976.

aGEAy2F.png

Next up will be their in city rivals, the Bloomington Jefferson Jaguars.

Staying in Bloomington, we now head over to the more successful school in town, the Jefferson Jaguars.

Thomas Jefferson High School

Nickname: Eagles

Enrollment: 1,679

Rival(s): Kennedy

State Titles: 5 (1981, 1989, 1992, 1993, 1994)

State Tournament Appearances: 16 (1980, 1981, 1982, 1985, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2002, 2005)

Home:

Jefferson's current home is actually really good, I like it a lot, but I wanted to make them closer to their classic jerseys. I left the sleeve stripes the same and moved that stripe to the hem and removed shoulder striping. It is a pretty basic jersey, but I think it fits this historic team well. I left the classic jaguars script on the front and the jaguar head logo on the shoulders from their new jerseys.

Away:

The away jersey is a Columbia blue version of the home, I love how the Jaguars essentially own this color in the state, so there was no way I would ever change it. My ideal version is essentially the same as their current away except with the jaguar head logo on the shoulders and the sleeve stripes no longer extend to the cuffs.

Alternate:

The alternate is a throwback to what the Jags wore in the 80s and 90s, including the back to back to back state titles in 92, 93, and 94. I made it white so that they could wear it at home.

zvUENH8.png

Next up will be the Chanhassen Storm.

Next up we have one of the newest schools in the state, founded in 2009, the Chanhassen Storm.

Chanhassen High School

Nickname: Storm

Enrollment: 1,682

Rival(s): Chaska

State Tournament Appearances: 0

Home:

The Storm's current home is alright, but I decided to base the home and away off of their old away jersey from a few years ago. I like the classic style striping and thought it matched the old English C logo they have been using the last couple years. I brought back the lighting stripes on the breezers. The helmets remain gold, but are not shiny like Notre Dame.

Away:

The away jersey is a navy version of the home, it is almost the same as their old jerseys, just with the old English C on the chest now.

Alternate:

The alternate is based their old home/alternate (I'm not sure which it was used as) I simplified it a bit and added the stripe style to the shoulders as well. The roundel logo is on the chest. I'll be completely honest, the only reason I changed the stripe style is because I plan on using it for another team later on and would rather let that team be the only one with this exact style.

pjRE9wc.png

Next up will be the Chaska Hawks.

Up next are one of the older schools in the state, established over 100 years before their rivals from Chanhassen, the Chaska Hawks.

Chaska High School

Nickname: Hawks

Enrollment: 1,418

Rival(s): Chanhassen

Home:

The Hawks current home is an almost perfect look IMO... almost. I left the majority of it untouched, just made some tweaks. The first change is the biggest, the sock stripes now match the jersey and lose the logo (LOGOS DON'T BELONG ON SOCKS). I also changed the helmet color to purple instead of white. The Hawks changed their breezers from black to purple this year, so that is a big improvement as well. The only other change I made was the shoulder logos, instead of "Hawks" written out in the shoulders I put their actual logo there.

Away:

Much like the home, Chaska's away is almost perfect, the only changes I made were the helmet and socks.

Alternate:

The alternate is kind of a throwback, it uses the script Chaska from their old jerseys, but the striping is slightly altered to match the current home and away. The alternate is a yellow jersey, like their current alt, but it removes the horrible "Hawks" and color imbalance the current alternate has.

g8cxNJu.png

next up will be the St. Louis Park Orioles to round out the Metro West Conference.

For our third team of the day, finishing off the Metro West Conference are the St. Louis Park Orioles.

St. Louis Park High School

Nickname: Orioles

Enrollment: 1,446

Rival(s): Benilde-St. Margaret's

State Tournament Appearances: 6 (1948, 1949, 1953, 1958, 1998, 2003)

Home:

The Orioles current home and away are just the Blackhawks jerseys with orange replacing red, so I knew I needed to completely redesign them. I found this old jersey of theirs and thought it really looked well for St. Louis Park so I based the set off of it. I use their current SLP logo on the chest, and the numbers on the back are still orange with a black outline. The sleeves are completely colored except one white stripe in the center, splitting the orange and black halves, the hem stripes mimic this stripe style.

Away:

The away jersey is an orange version of the home. Rather than swap the orange and white stripes on the hem and sleeves, I decided to leave them the same as the home. I did this because I liked how it looked, and because the big clumps of white on the lower sleeves looked really off.

Alternate:

THROWBACK TIME! The alternate jersey for the Orioles is a direct throwback to what they used in the 50s. It is a white jersey with black shoulders, classic striping which has a thick black stripe surrounded by thinner orange ones. Script "Park" on the front of the sweater with the player number on the upper chest (The captains C and A's would go on the other side) and solid black numbers. This is a clean, simple, classic hockey sweater if I've ever seen one.

dCEcvPr.png

That concludes the Metro West Conference, next up I will wrap up the Metropolitan conferences with the Independent Metro Athletic Conference beginning with The Blake School.

Leading off the Independent Metro Athletic Conference are the Bears from The Blake School. Blake is a private school in Minneapolis, the Bears actually just moved up to Class AA 2 seasons ago. 

The Blake Bears were actually featured in Mighty Ducks 3, they managed to come back and tie the game in the third after being down 9-0 after 2.

Image result for blake bears mighty ducks

The Blake School

Nickname: Bears

Enrollment: 1,400

Rival(s): St. Paul Academy, Breck

State Titles: 3 (1964*, 1971*, 1973*)

State Tournament Appearances: 26 (49*, 50*, 51*, 52*, 53*, 54*, 55*, 56*, 57*, 58*, 59*, 60*, 61*, 62*, 63*, 64*, 70*, 71*, 72*, 73*, 74*, 94, 96, 97, 00, 04, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16)

* Means Private School Tournament. Blake is yet to make the AA tournament so years without an asterisk are Class A.

Home:

I am not a fan of the Bears current home, I don't like the text, the striping, or the weird blocks on the sleeves with the numbers in them. So I decided to completely redesign them. The striping looks a bit like the Wild's but it isn't a direct clone, I actually based the style on the Bears girl's team which is one of the best in the state year in and year out. I like the look of thick on bottom thin on top like it is on the hem so I took that idea and made this. Thicker green stripe with a thinner blue one above it, separated by white. The shoulders are blue and use the bear silhouette logo from their current home's front, and the interlocking BB logo is on the chest. I decided on giving them a green helmet because I felt it helped balance the look rather than be super blue heavy, plus it looks good on the girls team.

Away:

The away jersey is more like the jersey I was inspired by, the striping may appear to be different than the home, but it is actually the exact same, the top blue stripe just gets lost on the blue base of the jersey.

Alternate:

THROWBACK TIME! The alternate jersey is a throwback to what they used back in the late 50s. It features a script "Blake" on the front of the sweater and uses very minimal green.

pWBm4bw.png

Next up will be the Breck Mustangs.

Up next we have the Breck Mustangs, a private school from Golden Valley.

Breck School

Nickname: Mustangs

Enrollment: 1,189

Rival(s): Blake, Delano

State Titles: 4 (200, 2004, 2009, 2010)

State Tournament Appearances: 30 (49*, 50*, 51*, 52*,53*, 54*, 55*, 56*, 59*, 60*, 61*, 62*, 63*, 64*, 71*, 72*, 73*, 74*, 94, 96, 97, 00, 04, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16)

*Means Private School Tournament

Home:

The Mustangs current home is pretty good so I didn't wanna stray too far. I left the school crest logo on the shoulders and the Bruins style logo on the front. The only change I made is increasing the size of the middle yellow stripe. I did this because it makes it easier to see from a distance, and I kinda based these new uniforms off of the girls team's away jersey.

Away:

The away jersey is a blue version of the home. The striping and numbers are almost identical to the girls jerseys, but I left the Bruins style logo on the front rather than the arched "Mustangs" and left out the yellow blocks on the upper arms around the numbers.

Alternate:

THROWBACK TIME! The alternate jersey is a direct throwback to what the mustangs wore all the way back in the early 50's. I decided on making it blue rather than white, both because I only know the historically accurate dark jersey, and also because this way they can use these against the Blake Bears for a rivalry game or something.

TCt2RIa.png

Next up will be the Minnehaha Academy Redhawks.

11 hours ago, Luke_Gagnon said:

This concept is incredible! Think you'll give Richfield a go? They no longer have a program but made 6 state tourneys and had some pretty sweaters.

Richfield actually brought back their hockey a year or two ago, granted they are now combined with Southwest Christian, I will be doing them when I get to independents!

Up next we have the Minnehaha Academy Redhawks, a private school from Minneapolis.

Minnehaha Academy

Nickname: Redhawks

Enrollment: 832

Rival(s): 

State Tournament Appearances: 15 (1949*, 1950*, 1951*, 1952*, 1953*, 1954*, 1955*, 1956*, 1957*, 1958*, 1959*, 1960*, 1961*, 1962*, 1963*)

*Means Private School Tournament

Home:

I like the Hawks current home quite a bit, so I only tweaked some things. The biggest change I made was the Minnehaha text. I made the text do diagonally across the chest rather than horizontally, "Minnehaha" is too long to work horizontally on the jersey. The other changes I made were changing the shoulders to square to cut off the stripes rather than having the weird curves on the ends, and I also added their logo to their shoulders and breezers which also have stripes now.

Away:

Like their home, their current away is pretty good so all I did was color swap my new home.

Alternate:

The alternate is kind of a throwback, but adjusted. It is based on their jerseys from the mid 50s, but I decided to use the MA circle logo from the upper chest and got rid of the native american logo. Other than the logo adjustment the rest of the jersey is historically accurate.

TCNrJTH.png

Next up will be the Providence Academy Lions.

Up next we have the Providence Academy Lions, a private school from Plymouth that was founded in 2001.

Providence Academy

Nickname: Lions

Enrollment: 840

Rival(s): 

Home:

I really like the Lions current jerseys, even though they are just Rangers templates. I only made a couple minor tweaks to them, the biggest change is removing the shoulder stripes. I did this to both separate their look from the Rangers, as well as simplify it so it's not as busy with the shield in the shoulders as well. I also removed the super thin outline around the logo and numbers, it just wasn't necessary and I like the look of the solid blue. I also removed the breezer stripes because they didn't match the jersey striping.

Away:

Like their home, their current home is almost perfect for them so I didn't change much. I essentially made the same changes as the home jersey and made the jersey blue with more emphasis on gold than white.

Alternate:

The alternate is a gold jersey with the same striping as the home and away, but they are all blue now. There is no white on this uniform, just blue and gold. The school shield logo is on the chest with the solo lion on the shoulders.

aEwI3x0.png

Rounding out the Conference will be the Saint Paul Academy and Summit School.

Finishing off the Independent Metro Athletic Conference are the Saint Paul Academy and Summit School Spartans, a private school from St. Paul.

Saint Paul Academy and Summit School

Nickname: Spartans

Enrollment: 918

Rival(s): Blake

State Titles: 3 (1961*, 1962*, 1974*)

State Tournament Appearances: 21 (1949*, 1950*, 1951*, 1952*, 1953*, 1954*, 1955*, 1956*, 1957*, 1958*, 1959*, 1960*, 1961*, 1962*, 1963*, 1964*, 1970*, 1972*, 1973*, 1974*, 2016)

* Means Private School Tournament.

Home:

SPA just changed their jerseys this last year and they're pretty good, but I also liked some of the things from their old jerseys so i kind of combined them. I used the new shades of blue and gold, the new SPA logo on the front, and the stripe style from the new jerseys. And I also used brought back the shoulder logos and white shoulders from their old jerseys.

Away:

The away is a blue version of the new home, like the home it is a mix of old and new. Here is their current away and here is their old away.

Alternate:

The alternate is a throwback to their first state title back in 1961.

K7XeyzO.png

Next up will be the last Twin Cities Conference, the Mississippi 8 Conference, beginning with the Buffalo Bison.

Leading off the Mississippi 8 Conference are the Buffalo Bison.

Buffalo High School

Nickname: Bison

Enrollment: 2,108

Rival(s): Monticello, St. Michael-Albertville

Home:

Buffalo has some of the nicer jerseys in the state IMO. The colors and stripe styles work perfect together, so I only tweaked their current look. The only changes I made to the home jersey were changing the text to say Bison rather than Buffalo since this is the home jersey and would be worn at home so you'd know they're Buffalo. And the other change was adding a thin white line between the black and purple on the shoulders.

Away:

The away is also almost the exact same as their current jersey, the only changes I made were putting Buffalo on the front of the jersey rather than Bison, and changing the numbers and "Buffalo" to white with a black outline to make it easier to read.

Alternate:

The alternate is just a black version of the away, but with the Sabres style logo on the front of the jersey rather than text.

4POzsSa.png

Next up will be the Cambridge-Isanti Bluejackets.

Archived