Gary.

2019 MLB Season

@pmoehrin how are you writing your posts? Because they break the board. On this page (10 of 11) in this thread, I can't click the next page button and I can't highlight your text.

44 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

@pmoehrin how are you writing your posts? Because they break the board. On this page (10 of 11) in this thread, I can't click the next page button and I can't highlight your text.

I wish I could tell you what the problem was.

I didn’t start having these issues until a few week ago, and nothing about my posting process has changed.

My guess is there’s some issue with the quoting system communicating with Chrome because of some recent update one or both system put out.

I take back what I said. You'd better just say things are iconic.

39 minutes ago, pmoehrin said:

I wish I could tell you what the problem was.

I didn’t start having these issues until a few week ago, and nothing about my posting process has changed.

My guess is there’s some issue with the quoting system communicating with Chrome because of some recent update one or both system put out.

I've done my looks into it. Apparently, the board doesn't like Grammarly and editing quotes with Grammarly.

3 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

I've done my looks into it. Apparently, the board doesn't like Grammarly and editing quotes with Grammarly.

That makes sense, although I hate having to copy and paste in multiple formats.

Getting sidetracked.

On 5/3/2019 at 3:05 PM, pmoehrin said:

For all the talk about how the Reds were going to turn some heads in 2019 and surprise some people, they are tied with the Giants for the second-worst record in the National League.

Puig has been atrocious out of the gate, batting just .167 with two home runs in 107 AB's against righties. Matt Kemp has been a complete non-factor and is on the DL after starting the year batting just .200

Suarez has regressed as has Tucker Barnhart who might be in danger of losing his job as the starting catcher. As has Scott Schebler on top of him playing out of position, because the Reds don't have a true center fielder. (Although Nick Senzel may change that.)

Bats is just hitting .133 against lefties this year, and that's coming off a year where he hit .260 against lefites with no gap-power. If he can't turn it around, his days as being a full-time starter might be over going forward. No longer is he a part of the conversation when discussing the best first basemen in the game.

I don't think the lineup is as bad as their early season stats make them out to be. Losing Scooter Gennett has undoubtedly had a significant impact on that lineup as well. But even with Gennett, they are still the 4th best offense in that division.

Gennett, Suarez, and Senzel are the only three position players they have with any real value. With everyone else, there's ample room to upgrade, and the Reds are going to have to in order to get to the level of Milwaukee, Chicago, and St. Louis.

What I do like about Cincinnati is that they may be in a better position than any other team in baseball to move pitchers at the deadline. DeSlafani, Grey, and Roark would all net at least a B-level prospect in return, and I don't see the point in keeping this staff together when the team is at least another year, likely two from being serious playoff contenders.

Castillo might be a legitimate staff ace, but the rest are middle of the rotation starters off to good starts.

Jesse Winker might be another piece worth considering moving because they have a good amount of outfield depth to replace him with. The only thing the Reds need to succeed is a franchise-level position player to build around. Nick Senzel might be that type of player. Taylor Trammell could be another, but neither is there yet, and there's nobody else on the 25-man roster that's ever going to develop into that type of player.

2019 could still end up being the year the Reds started to turn things around. It just may not happen the way the front office expected.

If I'm Dick Williams I'm not overreacting to a slow start and selling a bunch of these pieces yet because the Reds have been remarkably, maybe historically, unlucky. 

15-21, 5-11 in one run games. Pythag record is 21-15. Their BABIP is the worst in baseball, their pitching BABIP is middle of the pack, and their run differential is +21. The Pirates and Brewers are -25 and -2, for comparison's sake. At some point you figure they will start hitting in games when the pitching is good and start pitching in games when the hitting is good and they'll turn this thing around. 

I wouldn't move Winker now that Schebler is in Louisville and Kemp is gone. 

Question for Giants fans:

If the bullpens at Oracle Park need to be moved, where would be a good place to put them?

https://ballparkdigest.com/2019/05/08/williamson-oracle-park-bullpens-should-move/

21 hours ago, McCarthy said:

If I'm Dick Williams I'm not overreacting to a slow start and selling a bunch of these pieces yet because the Reds have been remarkably, maybe historically, unlucky. 

15-21, 5-11 in one run games. Pythag record is 21-15. Their BABIP is the worst in baseball, their pitching BABIP is middle of the pack, and their run differential is +21. The Pirates and Brewers are -25 and -2, for comparison's sake. At some point you figure they will start hitting in games when the pitching is good and start pitching in games when the hitting is good and they'll turn this thing around. 

I wouldn't move Winker now that Schebler is in Louisville and Kemp is gone. 

5-12 in one run games. 

13 hours ago, neo_prankster said:

If the bullpens at Oracle Park need to be moved, where would be a good place to put them?

https://ballparkdigest.com/2019/05/08/williamson-oracle-park-bullpens-should-move/

Floating bullpens in the middle of the Bay dude! 

Probably center field.

Apparently I missed the Oracle renaming and was very confused why the Giants had bullpens in the soon to close Oakland basketball arena.

21 hours ago, neo_prankster said:

From this article from about a year ago, they would likely go in right center, but it would involve adjusting walls and clipping off the Triples Alley.

https://ballparkdigest.com/2018/05/17/att-park-bullpens-unlikely-to-move/

26 minutes ago, AstroBull21 said:

From this article from about a year ago, they would likely go in right center, but it would involve adjusting walls and clipping off the Triples Alley.

That’s such a dumb plan. The dimensions of the park are fine as it is. They can just use the space where they can’t put seats in center and ditch the weird organic garden they have there that nobody really uses or cares about and kill two birds with one stone. 

47 minutes ago, AstroBull21 said:

I don't have a lot of knocks on Oracle Park, but one of them is how there isn't a lot of room for changes given how small the layout of the park is.

The best course of action, in my opinion, is doing what the Cubs did with Wrigley, and move them underground.

It would eliminate the safety issues without having to make any noticeable changes to the park, but it will also be the most expensive option.

It is a little surprising the Giants haven't moved to address it, as players have been complaining about the bullpen locations (especially the right field one) since the park has been open, which is now almost two decades old.

Maybe if Buster Posey played in the outfield and hurt himself on one of the mounds, they'd move them.

31 minutes ago, Bucfan56 said:

That’s such a dumb plan. The dimensions of the park are fine as it is. They can just use the space where they can’t put seats in center and ditch the weird organic garden they have there that nobody really uses or cares about and kill two birds with one stone. 

Exactly. Kale sucks anyway. 

28 minutes ago, pmoehrin said:

I don't have a lot of knocks on Oracle Park, but one of them is how there isn't a lot of room for changes given how small the layout of the park is.

The best course of action, in my opinion, is doing what the Cubs did with Wrigley, and move them underground.

It would eliminate the safety issues without having to make any noticeable changes to the park, but it will also be the most expensive option.

It is a little surprising the Giants haven't moved to address it, as players have been complaining about the bullpen locations (especially the right field one) since the park has been open, which is now almost two decades old.

Maybe if Buster Posey played in the outfield and hurt himself on one of the mounds, they'd move them.

Yeah the G-Men ought to address the bullpen issue like...15 years ago.

30 minutes ago, pmoehrin said:

They're not underground, they're under the bleachers. 

Isn't the story of the San Francisco bullpens that the architects forgot all about them until it was too late? I say leave them where they are and preserve that harmless but funny whoopsie.

Players have been getting hurt stumbling over them. OF Mac Williamson ended up with a concussion last year. 

5 minutes ago, the admiral said:

They're not underground, they're under the bleachers. 

Isn't the story of the San Francisco bullpens that the architects forgot all about them until it was too late? I say leave them where they are and preserve that harmless but funny whoopsie.

Underground, bleachers. What's the difference? Point is it's not exposed to the field. Tokyo Dome does the same thing.

Quite frankly I'm not sure why more teams don't do it. I don't think any fan has ever gone to a game because of where the bullpens are located, and most pitchers would prefer this.

With the bullpen story, I'm not 100% sure, but I do remember coming across an SI article around '05 that said something along these lines.

I don't get it myself. Every other park that has come immediately before or after Oracle put more effort into addressing the issue of bullpen location.

2 hours ago, pmoehrin said:

Underground, bleachers. What's the difference?

I dunno, stairs?

If you're in a non-climate-controlled setting, I would think that unexposed bullpens would be more advantageous for acclimating to game conditions than warming up indoors. The Cubs said they moved the bullpens because it was too dangerous for outfielders to run over the mounds in foul ground, but it was really just to build more seating. The Cubs love to lie about why they do things that extract more money from people.