2019 MLB Season

Gary

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I kinda hate it when my team has a game on a holiday, since I'm usually doing a million things other than sitting in front of a TV or sitting in the blazing sun at a stadium. Maybe I'm in the minority.  A Thursday 4th usually translates into lots of people taking off on Friday and making a long getaway weekend out of it. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

They're probably just use to that. I don't know how often earthquakes happen out there and I've also never had to experience a single one myself. But apparently 7.1 is not minor...?

3 hours ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

They're probably just use to that. I don't know how often earthquakes happen out there and I've also never had to experience a single one myself. But apparently 7.1 is not minor...?

There are more than 15,000 earthquakes a day. Only an infinitesimal amount of them are ever strong enough to be felt.

The one on the 4th and the one yesterday were pretty strong, 6.4 and 7.1 respectively. (The '94 Northridge Earthquake was around 6.3). But these happened pretty far out in the desert, near the town of Ridgecrest, and they were both barely felt here in the Valley. So any structural damage was pretty minor and I don't think there were even any major injuries.

Games like today make it tough to be an Angels fan, and make me have no idea why Mike Trout signed on for 12 more years of this garbage.

Five-run lead, two homers from Trout. Grand slam by Houston to tie it. Angels lose in 10.

Ugh

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Just now, Still MIGHTY said:

Games like today make it tough to be an Angels fan, and make me have no idea why Mike Trout signed on for 12 more years of this garbage.

Five-run lead, two homers from Trout. Grand slam by Houston to tie it. Angels lose in 10.

Ugh

Guaranteed F.U. money is hard to resist.

But it's terrible for baseball, frankly. This guy deserves to be showcased on a successful team, not wasting away on a second fiddle LA team that can't get out of its own way.

5 minutes ago, kroywen said:

But it's terrible for baseball, frankly. This guy deserves to be showcased on a successful team, not wasting away on a second fiddle LA team that can't get out of its own way.

He should really drop the humble act and demand a trade. While the contract may be "untradeable," I'm sure any team would be willing to take on that contract for his talents. 

It's also bad for the sport when your best player is as boring as Mike Trout. He needs something to spice up his career.

15 minutes ago, kroywen said:

Thats the real rub, isn’t it?

For every strange move they make that pans out (Tommy La Stella), there’s plenty more that don’t, including the moves they don’t make. Pitching staff top to bottom has been ass for years, but every guy they bring in can’t pull his weight or they just don’t bring guys worth a damn in.

As tragic as Skaggs death is for plenty of real world reasons, it also leaves the Angels down one of the more reliable starting arms. But beyond the starters, the bullpen (and today’s culprit Cam Bedrosian one of the more frequent busters) always have days like this. Can’t keep a team close or can’t maintain a lead.

Meanwhile, Trout continues to have Hall of Fame year after Hall of Fame year, guys like La Stella show up and give it all they’ve got and more, and they still can’t manage to pop above .500 for longer than a day or two.

Madness.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

There are people who want to make a D.J. LeMahieu for MVP debate - lets just brush aside that it's unlikely he'll maintain his first half pace, largely fueled by an unsustainable batting average w/RISP, in the second half - on the basis of how his performances helped keep the Yankees afloat during the height of their injury crisis. That's all fine and dandy and very well appreciated, but you can take the same general idea of that, apply it to Trout, and then try to figure out where the 45-46 Angels would be if you replaced Trout with a league average player, and what their record would be instead.

The only reason the Angels season isn't completely over already is because Trout, somehow, is having the best season he's had yet. .453 on-base, .646 slugging, I mean, goodness, those numbers are Bonds-esque. And he does it while playing CF as well. He's actually still getting better with each season he's played, an impressive feat from someone who was robbed of the AL MVP award in his rookie season when he was 20-21. 

I can understand why Mookie won it last year and I have no problem with that, but the debate about this year's MVP shouldn't be whether Trout should win it; frankly, it should be how he hasn't won, like, five of them already. 

spacer.png

Trout would get so much more notoriety if he wasn't wasting his career on a mediocre a best LA team. 

Reminds me a lot of Larry Fitzgerald. No doubt one of the greatest to ever play, but no one really talks about him too much because he spent his career on a completely forgettable Cardinals team. 

1 minute ago, AustinFomBoston said:

Trout would get so much more notoriety if he wasn't wasting his career on a mediocre a best LA team. 

Reminds me a lot of Larry Fitzgerald. No doubt one of the greatest to ever play, but no one really talks about him too much because he spent his career on a completely forgettable Cardinals team. 

That's not a particularly great comparison. The Angels had some of their best seasons, including their very best, pre-Trout. Between 2002-2009 alone, they won their division five times, went to the ALCS three times, and won a World Series. The shock is that they've gotten steadily worse in the Trout era. Only 2014 did they make the playoffs, and then were dismissed immediately by a red-hot Kansas City team. 

The Cardinals were a tirefire before Fitzgerald arrived, but in the time he's been there, they did go to a Super Bowl and came within a minute of winning it, the only time the Cardinals have reached the Super Bowl in their entire history, had another appearance in a conference championship game, and made the playoffs four times overall in that span. Doesn't sound like much, but by Arizona's standards, they did things they previously hadn't. 

I think, in general, we tend to be too quick to talk about teams having "wasted" players careers. A career isn't wasted just by virtue of not having won championships. You can have a competitive team and just not finish the deal ultimately. "Wasting" has more to do with never really competing in the first place. The Angels have been nowhere to be found for a playoff spot in the last 3-4 seasons. The Bucs never made the playoffs during Gerald McCoy's nine years with the team, and only twice had a winning season. That's "wasting" to me. A moribund franchise reaching franchise-highs in the playoffs isn't quite the same thing.

spacer.png

Trout is so good that any open-market trade package that would wrest him from the Angels would decimate his acquiring team and start the legendary-player-on-mediocre-roster cycle anew. Moreover, any number of destinations that could even give it a shot would just make people even more aggrieved about this than they already are: imagine everyone rending garments over the wasting of Mike Trout only for him to land in Boston and bring joy to Dave Portnoy's life.

Having the best player in the game based in greater Los Angeles should not be such an issue. Maybe the Angels should just get some damn pitching.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived