Gary.

2019 MLB Season

12 hours ago, Bucfan56 said:

Ehh, Puig is a dweeb. He’ll hit well but will find a way to throw the Indians out of the playoffs. 

It's more that they traded one of the most fun personalities in the game for the absolute biggest dickhead in baseball this decade. It's a massive swing on the likability scale and I know how you feel about Puig because Giants so you'll just have to trust me that when he's on your team you like Puig.

It's not even that Bauer's politics are doggy-ass because I work under the assumption that most MLB baseball players agree with him - it's that he's a weird, MRA red-pill, stupid neckbeard ahole who harasses people on social media and thinks he's way more intelligent than he actually is. I think he's like a legitimately nasty person who's probably dealing with some social disorders. But people who declare themselves as smart are usually the biggest idiots of all and my least favorite kind of people. 

For baseball purposes, looks like they fixed the rotation for next season, which is an incredible turnaround from 2017 when they were setting major league records for Most Butt Pitching Staff of All Time, but I really don't like the dude they just acquired and they need some bats if they want to actually win baseball games instead of continuing to lose them by a score of 2-1. 

37 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

it's that he's a weird, MRA red-pill, stupid neckbeard ahole who harasses people on social media and thinks he's way more intelligent than he actually is.

When he reads comments like this it is a wonder he doesn't respond to fans in a not-so-nice manner...

I'm not defending Bauer, he has to be a professional and not lash out at fans. But that doesn't give fans a pass to harass and name call him either. Both sides need to be better. 

When he reads comments like this it is a wonder he doesn't respond to fans in a not-so-nice manner...

I'm not defending Bauer, he has to be a professional and not lash out at fans. But that doesn't give fans a pass to harass and name call him either. Both sides need to be better. 

Please. HE needs to be better. I'm not harassing Trevor Bauer, unless you know something I don't and he posts here. I'm simply pointing out his awful behavior, which is not even close to equivalent to his actual awful behavior. I'm not telling him to kill himself, which is what he told a fan. I'm not spending 12 hours siccing my followers on him, which is what he did to a teenage girl in Texas. 

If your behavior proves you to be a gross person, I'm going to point that out. I hope he wins games for the Reds and I can't wait until he's on a different team. I think we've all had guys like that on our teams. 

25 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

Please. HE needs to be better. I'm not harassing Trevor Bauer, unless you know something I don't and he posts here.

Doesn't matter if he posts here or not. My point was people tweet at him very similar things to what your post said, many times worse. Calling him a "stupid weird neckbeard ahole" is probably nothing compared to the other names fans call him. We shouldn't be shocked when someone, that you even admitted might have social disorders, doesn't take well to that and lashes back at them. Bauer does need to grow up and let it go, but that doesn't excuse fans from threatening and name calling athletes in general. BOTH sides need to be better. 

23 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

If your behavior proves you to be a gross person, I'm going to point that out. I hope he wins games for the Reds and I can't wait until he's on a different team. I think we've all had guys like that on our teams. 

Mel Hall was a Giant for a very short period, going 3-for-25 with one walk in 1996. That short period on the team, where he had to be smuggled into Canada due to his criminal record (before anybody knew about what he was doing with teenage girls), is enough to qualify him as the worst person in Giants history (IMHO). The same goes for all of the other teams he played for, with the possible exception of the Yankees harboring Chad Curtis.

16 minutes ago, selby56 said:

Doesn't matter if he posts here or not. My point was people tweet at him very similar things to what your post said, many times worse. Calling him a "stupid weird neckbeard ahole" is probably nothing compared to the other names fans call him. We shouldn't be shocked when someone, that you even admitted might have social disorders, doesn't take well to that and lashes back at them. Bauer does need to grow up and let it go, but that doesn't excuse fans from threatening and name calling athletes in general. BOTH sides need to be better. 

lol, no. 

Normal people who aren't stupid weird neckbearded :censored:s don't do things like this. 

Proof that Trevor Bauer is a Stupid Weird Neckbearded :censored:

Still, though. I personally think that Puig is just barely a step better than Bauer, because he's a pretty stupid weird less neckbearded version of a very similar :censored:.

I can’t consider a site that has headlines calling him and others “:censored:s” as a reliable source. Might have a little bit of bias.

I’m going full TNak here, but Fire Al Alvila!

27 relief pitchers have been dealt recently and none go to the Red Sox, whose bullpen is just below atrocious.

Giants dump Mark Melancon on the Braves, with the Braves covering the rest of that contract.

tumblr_nzsdfqUh1b1qzrmlwo1_500.gif

Zaidi really made some good moves today.

45 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Giants dump Mark Melancon on the Braves, with the Braves covering the rest of that contract.

tumblr_nzsdfqUh1b1qzrmlwo1_500.gif

Zaidi really made some good moves today.

That Melancon move is a personal favorite of mine. That turned out to be an absolute disaster of a contract for the Giants and the fact that they were able to find a buyer for the last two years AND get anything of value is a bit of a minor miracle.

D Backs have loaded their farm system WAY up in the last few seasons, which is exactly what they needed to do. Problem is, they’re still the D Backs so I don’t expect them to actually do anything with that talent other than trade it once it gets expensive or strand it in Reno because taxes or something. 

17 hours ago, Brass said:

27 relief pitchers have been dealt recently and none go to the Red Sox, whose bullpen is just below atrocious.

Pretty clear they're packing it in and will try again in 2019. Fair enough, but it's not a great look.

I'm not one of these "Fire Cora and Dombrowski sucks" people, but it boggles the mind that the Red Sox have the highest payroll in baseball and very little depth to show for it. This has not been a masterclass in putting together a roster, particularly on the pitching side.

Reds-Pirates series are starting to become more like Bengals-Steelers games. Suspensions from the results of the recent fight. Hurdle got off light. (Did not intend for that to rhyme)

EA6IuaQXYAEts8F?format=jpg&name=large

So, apparently the Arizona Diamondbacks engaged in talks with officials in Henderson, Nevada about becoming the primary tenant in a $1 billion, 32,000-seat, retractable-roof ballpark in the Las Vegas suburb. The Las Vegas Review-Journal reports that records show the city and ball club were in talks as late as February of this year.

Henderson quietly tried to lure Arizona Diamondbacks to Southern Nevada  

Chris Sale. Dear Lord.

56 minutes ago, Brass said:

Chris Sale. Dear Lord.

To be fair, he was getting absolutely screwed on some of his pitches in the 4th inning. I even wrote that he was going to get ejected before it happened because everything was building up to that.

Last week I thought the Red Sox would at least make a decent run to a wild card spot -- they were looking something like their old selves again. This week they've lost eight in a row (thanks to a doubleheader for making that sentence possible). 

Dave Dombrowski's refusal to land some pitching help has apparently prompted the rest of the team to go on strike. It came at a horrendous time when the team was showing more signs of life than they have all year. A suboptimal situation has gone into full meltdown.

Felt like this Betts interview was measured as ever, but also effectively boring-athlete-speak for "Our GM is an :censored: and threw us under the bus": https://www.foxsports.com/mlb/video/1581035075824

On 8/1/2019 at 11:08 AM, Digby said:

It boggles the mind that the Red Sox have the highest payroll in baseball and very little depth to show for it. This has not been a masterclass in putting together a roster, particularly on the pitching side.

They had the same issues last year.

The difference was they had Mookie Betts, J.D. Martinez, and Chris Sale all playing out of their minds last year. Great players go can a long way in overcoming depth issues, but all three have regressed this year. Add to that an average bullpen that lost two key relievers in Kimbrel and Joe Kelly with nothing to replace them with, along with a few other players such as Rick Porcello doing nothing this year, and its easy to see why the Red Sox aren't the same 108-win team they were last year.

I think the worst trap you can fall into as a GM is thinking your roster is better than they are, and I'm not sure that's not what happened with the Red Sox last offseason. The bullpen had question marks coming into the postseason, and instead of signing or trading for someone, the Red Sox let two of their top relievers walk. First base was another position where the Red Sox had ample room to upgrade, and once again elected to sit on their hands and go with the same Moreland/Pearce platoon, even though neither player has proven themselves to be much more than average over their careers, and both are on the wrong side of 30.

They did give a $17 mil/year deal to Nate Eovaldi even though he's only qualified for the ERA title once in seven years. You can't be surprised when someone like that goes down with an injury, as has been the case with Eovaldi this year.

No active GM has won more games than Dave Dombroski, and he did win the World Series last year, so I think the Red Sox would be foolish to get rid of him. (as Detroit was) But I'm hard-pressed to find much defense of Dombroski's recent moves (or lack thereof) other than his resume. Boston's front office will have to take a long hard look this offseason at the roster, and figure out if they have enough pieces in place to make another run, or if they need to retool and think more along the lines of 2021-2022.