Gary.

2019 MLB Season

Dombrowski was just too skittish to make any major deal at the deadline. He didn't want to give up guys like JBJ, Mookie, or Devers (which is what some times were asking) Not that I can really blame him.

They have great prospects being held up by guys like Devers, Xander, & JBJ, so he may as well deal them 

While JD & Mookie weren't the powerhouses they were last year, I think Devers & Chavis really made up for it for a good part of the year. Devers is actually having one of his best years. 

The real issue has been the pitching. Sale started out in a funk and has never recovered, Porcello has been inconsistent, Price has reverted to his mediocre self, and there really isn't much of a bullpen to speak of. Which is fantastic when your starters can't even make it past 5 innings. A 5 run lead in the 6th is not a safe lead for the team. 

Dombrowski's job is fine so long as he addressed the pitching concerns next year. Their window should be open for another year or 2 at the very least. 

Devers looks like he could be a potential superstar, but Chavis hasn’t been anything special since his hot start.

Its still a very good offense, but it’s not the juggernaut that it was last year.

The starting pitching I can’t fault Dombroski for. Sale, Price, and Porcello as a front three on paper sounds as about as good as you can get. To think he or anyone would have the foresight to know that staff would be little better than average is getting into Monday Morning QB territory.

But the bullpen I feel like is something you can hold Dombroski to the fire for. Even at the deadline, it wasn’t as if Boston would have had to give up much to land a solid setup man. The Sox could have just gone out and signed Fernando Rodney for next to nothing as Washington did.

I agree with the decision not to “go for it” but if they had enough trade pieces to get Andrew Cashner, they could have put together something for someone like Jesse Chavez.

I’m not saying they needed to go out and land Josh Hader, but to make zero additions at the deadline is inexcusable in my eyes. Whether or not it would actually make a difference come October is another story, but it wouldn’t have cost them much to at least try.

Who knows? A team like this could always catch fire at the right time of year. What if Sale and Price both happen to “find it” in the middle of September, while Mookie Betts simultaneously starts out on having his best month of the season? It’s far from the craziest scenario I’ve seen play out for a World Series team, and it could have been better supported for minimal investment.

He went back to one of the other 13 teams he played for:

Still holding out hope that he gets to play for half of the teams in the Majors.

Aristedes Aquino has 7 home runs in his first 10 major league games. 3 of them came last night. Dude's making it surprisingly easy to stomach Puig's departure. 

related: if you're a Cubs fan who catches a home run in a visiting ballpark and you throw the ball back you're a huge turd. Full stop. 

I hope the Mets win the World Series. It would be the most hilarious outcome, and perfectly fitting for how ridiculous baseball can be.

Also hilarious: the Nationals have a better record than the Phillies.

On 8/11/2019 at 11:45 PM, The Six said:

I hope the Mets win the World Series. It would be the most hilarious outcome, and perfectly fitting for how ridiculous baseball can be.

Also hilarious: the Nationals have a better record than the Phillies.

The Mets have been the most inconsistent team in baseball over the last two seasons.

Even last year they started the year out looking like a team that could lose 100+ games and ended the year looking like a team you would expect to be playing in October.

This year its been much the same. The front four starters of deGrom, Syndergaard, Wheeler hand Matz have all gotten it back after struggling mightily to start the year. deGrom for his part is beginning to resemble the same type of pitcher he was last year. (ERA of .95 since July 14th)

Cano has started to pick it up as well when he's been healthy, and he is someone I would keep an eye on because he has traditionally been a second-half player. (.818 career first-half OPS vs .877 for the second half.)

Pete Alonso looks like the best position player the Mets farm system has produced since David Wright. It's also the most significant difference from last year's team. An out of position Jay Bruce was the closest thing the Mets had to a starting first baseman last year.

This year, the Mets have arguably the best starting first baseman in baseball, and what was once a weakness for the club, has now become a strength.

But what's likely to determine the Mets success or lack thereof is their bullpen. So far, the Mets rank 26th in bullpen ERA, which for a team with Edwin Diaz and Jeruys Familia on the roster, is shocking. Familia has picked up it a bit in the second half, but Diaz still looks lost as ever on the mound.

If they come into October with the 26th best bullpen in baseball, they will be swept in the LDS. But if Edwin Diaz can find a way to turn into the pitcher he was last year, and Familia reverts to his 2015-16 form, like Boston, we could talking about a team that's far more talented than their record would otherwise indicate.

But like Boston, these are also big ifs that battle-tested teams like the Dodgers, Cubs, Astros, Indians, and Yankees won't have hovering over their heads. They don't need anyone to "figure things out," and that's why I'm having a hard time picturing anything but a Houston/LA World Series rematch.

11 hours ago, The Six said:

I want this so we can see how exactly Tnak is gonna backpedal from all of the trash he's talked about the Mets this season. 

7 hours ago, Bucfan56 said:

I want this so we can see how exactly Tnak is gonna backpedal from all of the trash he's talked about the Mets this season. 

He’s talked so much about how the Mets losing is causing him to gain weight. But now that they’re winning, the pounds should start melting right off.

15 hours ago, pmoehrin said:

He’s talked so much about how the Mets losing is causing him to gain weight. But now that they’re winning, the pounds should start melting right off.

He’ll atleast keep more teeth and have less blunt head trauma.

It baffles me that the Cubs are still likely going to win the central.  This team is, at its core, toothless. 

2016 was the '85 Bears.  This core won't win again.

51 minutes ago, CS85 said:

It baffles me that the Cubs are still likely going to win the central.  This team is, at its core, toothless. 

We've said this several times over the years already, but it holds even more true this year than it has in other years. The NL is absolutely the Dodgers' league to lose this season. There isn't a single team in the NL who I think will even give them any competition come playoff time. 

I fully expect the Dodgers to win their 3rd straight NL pennant. Wether or not they win the Word Series, that's on them. 

It'll either be the Dodgers or a dumb team who has no business being in the playoffs getting hot at the right time, like the Cardinals. It won't be Atlanta, they don't have the troll gene. 

and nobody in the NL will beat the Astros 4 games out of 7. 

1 hour ago, McCarthy said:

It'll either be the Dodgers or a dumb team who has no business being in the playoffs getting hot at the right time, like the Cardinals. It won't be Atlanta, they don't have the troll gene

Or the bullpen, for that matter. 

On 7/31/2019 at 11:11 AM, SFGiants58 said:

Mel Hall was a Giant for a very short period, going 3-for-25 with one walk in 1996. That short period on the team, where he had to be smuggled into Canada due to his criminal record (before anybody knew about what he was doing with teenage girls), is enough to qualify him as the worst person in Giants history (IMHO). The same goes for all of the other teams he played for, with the possible exception of the Yankees harboring Chad Curtis.

I was reading the SB Nation article about Mel Hall and I am still not done but damn......This dude needs more than a chemical castration.....

8 hours ago, CS85 said:

I just pretend that they don't exist during road trips. Makes my life better.

2 hours ago, Dodgeryaqui8016 said:

I was reading the SB Nation article about Mel Hall and I am still not done but damn......This dude needs more than a chemical castration.....

When people say that Ty Cobb was the nastiest man in baseball, they clearly have never heard about Mel Hall, Chad Curtis, Milton Bradley, or Ugueth Urbina.

Ty Cobb wasn't overly-preachy, didn't abuse his spouse to death, didn't try to murder somebody (only assault), and most certainly didn't groom teenage girls into being his sexual partners. 

On 8/16/2019 at 1:30 PM, McCarthy said:

It'll either be the Dodgers or a dumb team who has no business being in the playoffs getting hot at the right time, like the Cardinals. It won't be Atlanta, they don't have the troll gene. 

I'm pulling for Washington to be that team.