2019 MLB Season

Gary

9 hours ago, TrueYankee26 said:

Ain't no one going to have a more devastating defeat than the Mets tonight against the Nationals.

They scored 5 runs in the top of the 9th to make it 10-4. All they had to do was not give it away, but Edwin Diaz had other ideas. Mets give up 7, including a Kurt Suzuki 3 run walk off homer. 11-10 Nationals win.

You know, for all the crap I was giving the Mariners for giving away Diaz and Cano to the Mets... seeing them become part of the LOLMETS legacy does give me a little catharsis during this trying season.

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Seadragon76 said:

You know, for all the crap I was giving the Mariners for giving away Diaz and Cano to the Mets... seeing them become part of the LOLMETS legacy does give me a little catharsis during this trying season.

Giving away Diaz and Cano? What?

The Mariners got back a top-25 and a top-75 prospect in baseball. That's a fantastic return, and it always is for a reliever and a 36-year-old washed-up infielder.

6fQjS3M.png

9 hours ago, TrueYankee26 said:

Ain't no one going to have a more devastating defeat than the Mets tonight against the Nationals.

They scored 5 runs in the top of the 9th to make it 10-4. All they had to do was not give it away, but Edwin Diaz had other ideas. Mets give up 7, including a Kurt Suzuki 3 run walk off homer. 11-10 Nationals win.

And the closer of the future, Ed-Lose Diaz!

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

22 hours ago, dont care said:

They don’t have to “legalize” it. They just have to not test for it.

That’s pretty much how it’s handled at the Major League level.

I’m at a loss to come up with a single MLB player that’s ever been suspended or even disciplined over marijuana use.

The minors are a different story because players are drug tested regularly. But Major League Baseball can only drug test a player under reasonable suspicion.

Short of lighting up a joint on the field, I don’t think there’s anything an MLB player could do to get suspended over it. It’s a clearly a non-issue as far as the league office is concerned.

Diamondbacks are playing lights out right now. The only two strong teams are the Cardinals and Mets. If they keep playing the way they are at the moment. They could be playing in the Wildcard game 

7 hours ago, crashcarson15 said:

Giving away Diaz and Cano? What?

The Mariners got back a top-25 and a top-75 prospect in baseball. That's a fantastic return, and it always is for a reliever and a 36-year-old washed-up infielder.

-_-'

You are ruining my narrative with facts... stop it.

https://www.mlb.com/video/j-d-martinez-doubles-31-on-a-fly-ball-to-left-fielder-eddie-rosario-rafael-dever

My team was on the wrong end of this one but it was fun as heck. Haven't ever gone from "oh that might be a walk-off, nice" to "game over and we lost, dang" so quickly in my memory. Good effort from Devers though!

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

47 minutes ago, Digby said:

https://www.mlb.com/video/j-d-martinez-doubles-31-on-a-fly-ball-to-left-fielder-eddie-rosario-rafael-dever

My team was on the wrong end of this one but it was fun as heck. Haven't ever gone from "oh that might be a walk-off, nice" to "game over and we lost, dang" so quickly in my memory. Good effort from Devers though!

I'm all for third base coaches being aggressive- they all should be. But what was he thinking there? That throw didn't even have to be perfect to get the out- it just needed to be close enough.

I'm pretty floored by the dismissal of Dombrowski.

I think it's fair to criticize him for not signing any relievers in the off-season even after losing Kimbrel and Kelly. But even if the Red Sox had gone out and signed let's say, Tony Sipp and Joakim Soria, its wasn't going to be the difference between winning 85 games, or going to the World Series.

It's almost easier to luck into a good bullpen situation than it is to build one, but regardless it's not why the Red Sox aren't performing as well this year.

The reason the Sox aren't doing as well this year is because their starting pitching took a nosedive. Unless you can find me someone who predicted Sale, Price, and Porcello would all tank this year, I'm calling BS on anyone trying to pin that one on Dombrowski.

So far, the Red Sox have been incredibly tight-lipped over why they let go of Dombroswki, refusing to even call a press conference over the matter. So I doubt we will ever get a full explanation from the team as to why Dombroswki was terminated.

All that said, this isn't that far out of line with how the Red Sox have operated under John Henry, which is to fire the GM at the first sign of trouble. Dan Duquette, Mike Port, Theo Epstein, Ben Cherington, Mike Hazen, and now Dave Dombrowski have all come and gone since Henry took over the club.

The Red Sox have never been at a loss it seems like for producing executives, and that maybe the reasoning for making a change now. I'm honestly not sure if the Red Sox recent success has come because of this front office turnover, or in spite of it.

For years this was seen as one of if not the most desirable GM post in baseball, but knowing that any new hire will be lucky to last five years in the role, no matter how good they are, I'm curious to see how it limits them in their GM search if any.

Aside from Mike Hazen, I don't see an obvious outside hire that would fit. My guess is if they don't go with Hazen, they will likely end up with an in-house hire, probably either Brian O’Halloran or Eddie Romero; two people that 99.9% of Red Sox fans couldn't pick out of a photo lineup. They've already tagged Romero as the interim replacement. I would expect him to have the interim tag removed once the season is over.

The current Red Sox ownership has been the absolute best and absolute worst thing to ever happen to the franchise.

Cant complain that much though. Won a title last season. Down year this year. Oh well. They’ll bounce back.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

39 minutes ago, RichO said:

With Dombrowski specializing in throwing money and prospects around to win as much as possible in the present, the Red Sox in tough luxury tax territory, and the seams showing this year, it's a good time to move from him anyway.

Who are these prospects exactly? I've been hearing this criticism for years, but I've yet to hear one commentator say "boy I don't know what the Tigers were thinking in letting (blank) go."

I've seen Al Avilia trade away J.D. Martinez, Justin Upton, and Justin Verlander for big piles of nothing, but I'm hard-pressed to recall a lot of instances where Dombrowski has been fleeced in a trade.

I have read pieces from people who theoretically know these things that the Red Sox farm system is a far cry from the days of having Bogaerts and Betts and Devers on the way up. But also that it's recently rebounding. I don't know, I can't say I follow the Portland Sea Dogs closely despite their excellence in cap logos.

Also reading the Globe stories and columns today, the between-the-lines spin seems to be a mix of Dombrowski not being the guy to make the now-needed creative marginal moves, and personal conflicts within the halls of Fenway. Nothing new there, and now Alex Cora (who didn't make this decision) has been thrown to the wolves at the press conference without John Henry or any other front-office members in sight. Charming as ever.

That said, no one could've known exactly how the pitching staff might fall apart, but I do recall concerns about Sale's health before he was handed a completely unnecessary contract extension this offseason, to say nothing of the other generous contracts that were handed out. All fine and good, it isn't my money, but I can't shake the feeling that they're not going to want to pay Betts and that would be nothing short of a disaster.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Archived