2019 MLB Season

Gary

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, the admiral said:

That's awfully far down the line. Is everything through 2025 already set and I don't know it?

I think the city just wanted it finalized so they can start planning the 250th events.  

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

That makes sense. Good timing. I'm surprised CBP didn't get the game sooner, even coming as it did in a glut of new ballparks that had to get their turns.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I never heard that they even wanted it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

This seems like a steal for Atlanta: http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/26498832/braves-2b-albies-agree-7-year-35m-deal

I'm already getting a little antsy about the Nats not extending some of their guys.  Certainly wouldn't mind extending Soto/Robles now for a reasonable price.  Not to mention Rendon's value for this offseason is going up with the way he's been hitting.

90758391980.gif

Oakland's Khris Davis hit two home runs in each of the last two games in Baltimore, including today.

Baltimore's Chris Davis went 0-for-3 today to extend his record hitless streak to 0-for-53.

$161 million well spent!

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

So Pitbull is coming to Philly?  Sign me the :censored: up!

11 hours ago, Still MIGHTY said:

Oakland's Khris Davis hit two home runs in each of the last two games in Baltimore, including today.

Baltimore's Chris Davis went 0-for-3 today to extend his record hitless streak to 0-for-53.

$161 million well spent!

Oh god, please don’t remind me. That deal will cripple this franchise for the next decade. 

spacer.png

12 hours ago, Still MIGHTY said:

$161 million well spent!

I wish there was some way that teams could put arbitration clauses in the next CBA, so that a deal like this could be thrown out.  These players simply aren't going to sign deals of reasonable length (understandably so) which puts all the risk on the team, which has no recourse in the event a guy either stops trying, gets hurt (but not hurt enough to retire), or just flat out sucks.  

Maybe teams could put performance minimums in the contract which would put a crab bag like this guy in breach for sucking.  THink about it - you're signing a player based on anticipated production - while it's a team game and stats don't always tell the story, they're the only thing we can measure production by.  Maybe say that the contract calls for averages of 20HR / 250 avg over any three year period, otherwise the team can void it.  It's not different than contracts in other lines of work - though I acknowledge that SPORTS work differently than other lines.

If anybody watched yesterday's Cardinals v Dodgers game, baseball is a weird sport. Cards got two runs through a bases loaded HBP, and both times it was Harrison Bader who was hit. Cards also got runs on a wild pitch. The win was also historic, as the Cardinals now lead the all time series between the themselves and the Dodgers, 1,030 games to 1,029.

Also, Angels are looking good with six straight wins. Didn't expect them to sweep the Brewers.

MZnWkGU.png

StL Cardinals - Indy Colts - Indiana Pacers - Let's Go Blues! - Missouri State Bears - IU Hoosiers - St Louis City SC

18 hours ago, Dilbert said:

Reds sweep the Marlins. Can we play Miami everyday?

21-1 on the series. They had a ridiculously bad batting average on balls in play coming into this series, which kind of means they were more unlucky than anything else. Their pythagorean Win Loss is 7-5. 

I'm really encouraged that the starting pitching has looked so good thus far. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

7 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I wish there was some way that teams could put arbitration clauses in the next CBA, so that a deal like this could be thrown out.

To even propose terminating contracts for poor performance would be a one-way trip to Strike City. I don't think the owners can ask to get out of contracts and collude to suppress free agent contracts at the same time. They'd have to pick one.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Don't a lot of contracts include bonuses for achievements, like making the playoffs, winning a playoff series, getting to the World Series, winning the World Series? It might be team-specific but I recall reading that sometimes players have incentives like that. They don't lose money by any means but knowing there's a nice bonus might make them work harder.

1 hour ago, Quillz said:

Don't a lot of contracts include bonuses for achievements, like making the playoffs, winning a playoff series, getting to the World Series, winning the World Series? It might be team-specific but I recall reading that sometimes players have incentives like that. They don't lose money by any means but knowing there's a nice bonus might make them work harder.

A bunch do, but I don’t know of any contract in Major League Baseball where incentives are the backbone of the deal.

Neither players or owners want to see a question mark in the salary column, and that’s what would happen if you made performance incentives the basis of a contract.

Paying players “what they’re worth” sounds nice in principle, but it would be a disaster if you actually tried it. How do you go about assigning value to a player for starters?

You get paid what you negotiate for, not what your value is. That’s as true in baseball as it is in any other line of work.

The Cleveland Indians are hitting .185 as a team after 14 games.

ONE EIGHTY FIVE! They’re below the Mendoza line as a team and have played the Twins, White Sox, Blue Jays, Tigers and Royals in those 14 games.

This team would be lucky to win 70 games if they didn’t get to load up on the AL Central.

6fQjS3M.png

This doesn't really have to do with the season per se. But the Phillies got off to a good start and I was wondering: what's the best historical streak before a team lost their first game? I seem to recall the '09 Dodgers going something like 12-0 but I might be wrong.

Archived