NFL 100 Throwback Concepts (32/32 COMPLETE)

packerfan21396

Minnesota Vikings:

1921 Throwback: The Lesser Early Minnesota Team

The forgotten and not suggested Minneapolis Marines made the most sense to be worn by the Vikings as a throwback if it weren't for the fact that they hadn't won more than twice a season throughout their entire existence in the NFL.  Still, they had some success pre-NFL and are worthy of getting the nod as a NFL 100 throwback.  The uniform is fairly straight-forward, taking only 2 stripes from the sleeves due to the size of shoulder caps these days, and inferring an accurate block, given that the 1 and 4 are the only numbers I could find in a picture.  The logo comes from a patch commonly used to represent the Marines in modern-day merchandise.

o2eApub.png

1926 Throwback: Ernie Nevers' Eskimos of Duluth in Minnesota of the NFL in 1926

The Duluth Eskimos were actually decent and had a rather unique combo of yoke and sleeve stripes.  One thing I find absolutely ridiculous is the Ernie Nevers obviously had a planetary-size ego and one day decided a professional football team should be named after him... while he was playing for them.  And thus, the Angels-esque trainwreck of a name, Ernie Nevers' Eskimos of Duluth, was made and this fashionable bath robe of a sideline coat had to exist.  Due to the Eskimos having the unique front igloo logo on their jersey, I found 2 solutions to having a number in the front still: a modern approach a la Bengals to have the logo above the front numbers (a) and a 1994-like compromise to have the logo full-size still (b).

Neznunx.png

PiCJsYo.png

1961: The Vikings

The horns. The purple. The way too busy Northwestern stripes. The definitely out of place Adidas striped sock. This picture of Fran Tarkenton using the force. The beginning.

uWeZ4Jd.png

hm7YvwN.png

OgzK3Ub.png

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/13/2019 at 1:25 AM, packerfan21396 said:

Minnesota Vikings:

1961: The Vikings

The horns. The purple. The way too busy Northwestern stripes. The definitely out of place Adidas striped sock. This picture of Fran Tarkenton using the force. The beginning.

t4XFxps.png

Still the best the Vikings have ever looked. Another plus of this is that it’s the only Vikings set to ever use Sock Stripes. And the style of the Block #1 is my preferred style.

i know it probably won’t happen, but the Vikings really should throw-back to this next year, for 3 reasons.

1. Of course, NFL 100

2. 50th anniversary of the 1969 Championship team (40 for 60)

3. 60th anniversary of MN being awarded an AFL Team, before canceling and going to the NFL instead.

da0Lbhs.png

On 3/13/2019 at 3:54 PM, Blindsay said:

Are we going to see the New York titans for the Jets?

More than likely.

Pittsburgh Steelers:

1935 Throwback: Wait, I Thought They Played Baseball?

The Pittsburgh Pirates are the early version of the Steelers and are who to blame for the Bumblebee uniforms and whatever these are.  With a stretched out serifed block that was fun to make and a helmet that looks like a upside down mustached smiley face, one of the more unique uniforms from the early days of the NFL.

2GfK5Ck.png

1963 Throwback: The Away Throwback:

Since the Steelers pretty much exhausted a lot of decent throwback options already, I just made the away version to the throwback that the Color Rush jersey hints at.  Due to the constraints of modern jerseys, the yellow sleeve caps ended up turning into a yoke instead so that the TV numbers and sleeve stripes could both be in yellow.

3htzNRK.png

hm7YvwN.png

OgzK3Ub.png

Cleveland Browns:

1924 Throwback: Cleveland's First NFL Title

Cleveland had a bunch of different teams floating through the early NFL: the Tigers/Indians I, Indians II/Bulldogs (merged with Canton), and Indians III.  The most successful being the second go at pro football in Cleveland, and more specifically, the first season of the merged Cleveland Indians-Canton Bulldogs (called the Cleveland Bulldogs) team that had the best record in the NFL and thus the 1924 champions.  The numbers are based off of the 1925 team and the logo is based off the 1924 Championship watch.

Ti55nhr.png

1946 Throwback: Cleveland's First Drop Shadow

The Browns essentially had the same uniform from 1947 to 2015, so this is the only uniform that was remotely different and is more than likely the reason Nike gave the Browns a dropshadow in 2015.  Also, this was the first of 4 AAFC championship seasons for the Browns.  Brownie the Elf has been a symbol for the Browns since Day 1, so the logo is as such.

nFfk3AC.png

hm7YvwN.png

OgzK3Ub.png

Cincinnati Bengals:

1921 Throwback: The First Cincinnati NFL Team

There were plenty of attempts at pro football in Cincinnati in the 20s and 30s, but none of them really stuck or had any success.  The Cincinnati Celts lasted a single season in the NFL, but had plenty of amateur seasons before and after their lone 1921 season.  I couldn't find any glimpses of the back of the jerseys, so I assumed the Celts used a block similar to the era.  The logo comes from this which seems to be more legitimate than the Impact font modern recreation found everywhere when looking the Celts up.

spacer.png

1933 Throwback: "The Worst Team In The History Of The NFL"

What I thought was an interesting look of a team in the 1930s turned into finding a lot of articles calling the 1933-34 Cincinnati Reds football team the worst ever. Managing only 3 wins in almost 2 seasons in the NFL before getting suspended for not being able to pay league dues is a compelling argument.  Nonetheless, I found the all red look interesting and looks like if the Wisconsin Badgers and Michigan Wolverines had a baby.  The wordmark comes from this game program.

spacer.png

1968 Throwback: The Last Of The AFL

The AFL's last franchise was founded this year and decided the best thing to represent a Bengal on their helmets was just... well... "BENGALS." Be it uninspired compared to the current tiger stripe, it was the first wordmark on a football helmet I believe.

spacer.png

Bonus 1981 Throwback: You're Welcome, @NicDB

The closest Cincinnati has been to winning a Super Bowl came in these.  These are the reason this guy is a thing we need to endure Sunday nights.  These were revolutionary in the stripe game.  These gave the Bengals their still unique helmet.

You may have wished that the shoulder stripes went all the way around, though.  Me too.  But, with the Vapor Untouchable template, shoulder stripes get cut off at the top of the collar triangle and bottom of the nameplate (as seen on the Jets).

spacer.png

hm7YvwN.png

OgzK3Ub.png

On 3/21/2019 at 10:18 AM, packerfan21396 said:

Cleveland Browns:

1924 Throwback: Cleveland's First NFL Title

Cleveland had a bunch of different teams floating through the early NFL: the Tigers/Indians I, Indians II/Bulldogs (merged with Canton), and Indians III.  The most successful being the second go at pro football in Cleveland, and more specifically, the first season of the merged Cleveland Indians-Canton Bulldogs (called the Cleveland Bulldogs) team that had the best record in the NFL and thus the 1924 champions.  The numbers are based off of the 1925 team and the logo is based off the 1924 Championship watch.

Ti55nhr.png

1946 Throwback: Cleveland's First Drop Shadow

The Browns essentially had the same uniform from 1947 to 2015, so this is the only uniform that was remotely different and is more than likely the reason Nike gave the Browns a dropshadow in 2015.  Also, this was the first of 4 AAFC championship seasons for the Browns.  Brownie the Elf has been a symbol for the Browns since Day 1, so the logo is as such.

nFfk3AC.png

I don't usually love dropshadows but these are gorgeous and do a great job evoking the era. Hell, I wouldn't say no to the Browns incorporating them into their 2020 redesign.

When you do the Colts, I suggest you try to recreate the 1921 Muncie Flyers uniforms. They played in the NFL for 2 seasons, playing 3 games and was Indiana’s first NFL franchise and only for 60 years before the Colts moved in.

rAUPGPZ.png

3 minutes ago, IndianapolisCubs2009 said:

When you do the Colts, I suggest you try to recreate the 1921 Muncie Flyers uniforms. They played in the NFL for 2 seasons, playing 3 games and was Indiana’s first NFL franchise and only for 60 years before the Colts moved in.

Or maybe even the Miami Seahawks, they seem to have some correlation to the Colts

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

This NFL 100 Throwback Project is looking great so far. Now if only the NFL abolished that nonsensical "one-helmet" rule.

Also, I think the Dayton Triangles should be included as one of the Bengals throwback options.

Plus, I wonder what the NFL 100 Throwback options will be for the Panthers, Jaguars, Ravens, and Texans.

YOZXkBG.png?1

5 hours ago, IndianapolisCubs2009 said:

Thanks for the insight, I'll definitely fit them in.

5 hours ago, BellaSpurs said:

Or maybe even the Miami Seahawks, they seem to have some correlation to the Colts

The Miami Seahawks became the Baltimore Colts I (current Colts being the relocated Baltimore Colts II), so I was going to make a Baltimore Colts I uniform for the Ravens (coming next).

51 minutes ago, JH42XCC said:

This NFL 100 Throwback Project is looking great so far. Now if only the NFL abolished that nonsensical "one-helmet" rule.

Also, I think the Dayton Triangles should be included as one of the Bengals throwback options.

Plus, I wonder what the NFL 100 Throwback options will be for the Panthers, Jaguars, Ravens, and Texans.

I think I'm going to make the Triangles for the Colts because it sort of makes sense franchise-wise and because there were plenty of options in Cincinnati.

Unfortunately due to the high volume of early NFL teams in Ohio and only 2 Ohio NFL franchises currently, some of your favorite early NFL teams might not see themselves in a concept.  If there is a high demand for a team I missed when this is all said and done, I'll certainly give them a concept.  For instance, I'm not sure the Akron Pros will make it, but if there's a demand, it'll be a bonus at the end.

hm7YvwN.png

OgzK3Ub.png

Baltimore Ravens:

1947 Throwback: The First Colts

Since Indianapolis has the Baltimore Colts II in their history, we go back to the Baltimore Colts I, formerly Miami Seahawks.  Competing in the AAFC with the likes of the Cleveland Browns and San Francisco 49ers, the first Colts lasted 4 seasons, and was only really successful in 1948, when they went on to the division playoff and lost.  With an early Eagle-esque color scheme and classic block numbers, a solid throwback for the Ravens.

oZS8RQM.png

1996 Throwback: NFL's return to Baltimore

After the Colts went to Indianapolis, Baltimore was left with a band desperately advocating for a new team.  Then, the Browns moved east to become the brand new Baltimore Ravens, and this very 90s masterpiece was created.

DdmWHin.png

hm7YvwN.png

OgzK3Ub.png

I know it ain't NFL, but I figure I would've done a Baltimore Stallions inspired uniform, because without them, there's no Ravens.  But obviously I'm not.  I do like the modernised Eskimos uniform, among others.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Archived