NFL 100 Throwback Concepts (32/32 COMPLETE)

packerfan21396

On 3/24/2019 at 7:59 PM, Discrimihater said:

I know it ain't NFL, but I figure I would've done a Baltimore Stallions inspired uniform, because without them, there's no Ravens.  But obviously I'm not.  I do like the modernised Eskimos uniform, among others.

That's a great point and I, like you may have guessed, have been trying to stray away from non-NFL or at least non-NFL predecessors. But I know I'll have to for the Texans eventually and The Baltimore Stallions is a great triumph in Baltimore football, so here ya go:

Baltimore Ravens 1994 Throwback: The Best American Canadian Football Team

The most successful American team in the CFL and fastest expansion team to win a championship, the Baltimore Stallions were essentially the third-coming of the Baltimore Colts and led the way to bringing the Browns to Baltimore.

O59yuhT.png

hm7YvwN.png

OgzK3Ub.png

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe I have some ideas for the Houston Texans NFL 100 Throwback Options (since Houston Oilers is off limits due to the Tennessee Titans owning the rights to the Oilers name and history):

YOZXkBG.png?1

1 hour ago, JH42XCC said:

I believe I have some ideas for the Houston Texans NFL 100 Throwback Options (since Houston Oilers is off limits due to the Tennessee Titans owning the rights to the Oilers name and history):

Thanks! I don't really wanna do the Dallas Texans because they're the Chiefs and because they're in Dallas.  The WFL Texans I think I'll do and maybe I'll do the Gamblers, but I think I'm going to refrain from dipping in to San Antonio.  I also might make a prototype inspired fauxback.

hm7YvwN.png

OgzK3Ub.png

11 hours ago, packerfan21396 said:

That's a great point and I, like you may have guessed, have been trying to stray away from non-NFL or at least non-NFL predecessors. But I know I'll have to for the Texans eventually and The Baltimore Stallions is a great triumph in Baltimore football, so here ya go:

Baltimore Ravens 1994 Throwback: The Best American Canadian Football Team

The most successful American team in the CFL and fastest expansion team to win a championship, the Baltimore Stallions were essentially the third-coming of the Baltimore Colts and led the way to bringing the Browns to Baltimore.

O59yuhT.png

Fun fact: An American team has won the Grey Cup (1995 Baltimore Stallions) more recently than a Canadian team has won the Stanley Cup (1993 Montreal Canadiens).

1 hour ago, packerfan21396 said:

Thanks! I don't really wanna do the Dallas Texans because they're the Chiefs and because they're in Dallas.  The WFL Texans I think I'll do and maybe I'll do the Gamblers, but I think I'm going to refrain from dipping in to San Antonio.  I also might make a prototype inspired fauxback.

The 1952 Dallas Texans actually were the last NFL team to fold, with connections to the New York Yanks/Bulldogs and even the Dayton Triangles, with the scraps from that team going on to be the Baltimore Colts in 1953. The Dallas Texans you're thinking of played from 1960-1962 in the AFL. It's confusing having multiple teams with the same name in a span of a decade.

Go with the Gamblers, if only because IIRC they had more of an impact.  I think the WFL Texans folded midseason, though I may be wrong there.

Or you could whip up something Oilers inspired, just with Texans logos instead.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

3 hours ago, rattyrattera said:

The 1952 Dallas Texans actually were the last NFL team to fold, with connections to the New York Yanks/Bulldogs and even the Dayton Triangles, with the scraps from that team going on to be the Baltimore Colts in 1953. The Dallas Texans you're thinking of played from 1960-1962 in the AFL. It's confusing having multiple teams with the same name in a span of a decade.

My mistake, but as I originally said, I think I'm going to pass due to them being from Dallas.

1 hour ago, Discrimihater said:

Go with the Gamblers, if only because IIRC they had more of an impact.  I think the WFL Texans folded midseason, though I may be wrong there.

I think I'll probably do both the Gamblers and WFL Texans.

25 minutes ago, simtek34 said:

Or you can try the Texans prototype White Helmets with the Uniforms from Madden before they were unveiled...

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

NOTE* White Uniform supposed to have White Pants

spacer.png

All images from this THREAD:

I definitely am on that line of thought, I'm probably going to put outlines on the numbers though and make a basic sleeve stripe.

hm7YvwN.png

OgzK3Ub.png

7 hours ago, Discrimihater said:

This is the route I would go. Just pick a classic Oilers uniform and replace the derrick with the Texans logo.

On 3/24/2019 at 7:30 PM, packerfan21396 said:

Baltimore Ravens:

1947 Throwback: The First Colts

Since Indianapolis has the Baltimore Colts II in their history, we go back to the Baltimore Colts I, formerly Miami Seahawks.  Competing in the AAFC with the likes of the Cleveland Browns and San Francisco 49ers, the first Colts lasted 4 seasons, and was only really successful in 1948, when they went on to the division playoff and lost.  With an early Eagle-esque color scheme and classic block numbers, a solid throwback for the Ravens.

oZS8RQM.png

This is definitely the route I would go for the Ravens... nicely done!

On 3/26/2019 at 3:48 PM, simtek34 said:

spacer.png

Can we just talk about how creepy this picture is, considering its telling us to check out NFL.com the day after 9/11 before the events on 9/11 happened? I know there's no correlation between those events but just a strange thing to see... I may be alone in that...

1 hour ago, CaptainBuzKill said:

Can we just talk about how creepy this picture is, considering its telling us to check out NFL.com the day after 9/11 before the events on 9/11 happened? I know there's no correlation between those events but just a strange thing to see... I may be alone in that...

Yeah, I was gonna say something about that... 

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

On 3/26/2019 at 11:04 PM, NicDB said:

This is the route I would go. Just pick a classic Oilers uniform and replace the derrick with the Texans logo.

Something I saw on Uni Watch today is that a lot of the current Houston players, I think he cites Deandre Hopkins as the example, who want to use the Houston Oilers unis as throwbacks, but they can't since the Titans own the rights to the Oilers "brand". Couldn't they strike up a deal to make that happen or is there more legal stuff involved in that?

22 hours ago, WBeltz said:

Something I saw on Uni Watch today is that a lot of the current Houston players, I think he cites Deandre Hopkins as the example, who want to use the Houston Oilers unis as throwbacks, but they can't since the Titans own the rights to the Oilers "brand". Couldn't they strike up a deal to make that happen or is there more legal stuff involved in that?

Well if the Texans wearing Oilers throwbacks is a no-go due to the Titans holding claim to the Oilers name and history, then the Texans could go with Plan B: create "fauxbacks" inspired by the classic Oilers uniforms

YOZXkBG.png?1

New York Giants:

1927 Throwback: Les Géants du Football de Montréal?

The beginning of an era that made the Giants look more like the Canadiens and the uniform that lead the NFL for the first time in Giants history.  After scouring through pictures on BigBlueInteractive.com (Thanks so much for making the research process a lot easier), I came to the conclusion that the early Giants utilized the McAuliffe number font (or as it's more often referred to as, the Red Sox font).  The logo is taken from this early Giants pennant.

MaRARg9.png

1934 Throwback: Wow. Just Wow.

One of the busiest designs of the 30s I've seen so far, this red, white, and blue masterpiece gave the Giants their second NFL championship.  The helmet is an attempt to take the helmet design of the time and put it on a modern shell.  There's no convenient Michigan shortcut, so I hope I captured the shell accurately enough.  The logo is the circa 1933 logo as posted on BigBlueInteractive (again, literal lifesaver).

rVBHC81.png

1938 Throwback: The Beginning of the Classic Uniforms

At this point, the Giants are starting to look essentially like the current Giants (with exception to the three and a half decade intermission from the mid 60s to the end of the 90s).  These Giants are only one of three teams all-time to defeat the Packers in a NFL Championship and the third Giants team to win it all.  The logo doesn't change due to the only 4 year difference.

OQVPMEi.png

hm7YvwN.png

OgzK3Ub.png

• packerfan21396 changed the title to NFL 100 Throwback Concepts (9/32, 4/2 Giants)
11 hours ago, packerfan21396 said:

1938 Throwback: The Beginning of the Classic Uniforms

At this point, the Giants are starting to look essentially like the current Giants (with exception to the three and a half decade intermission from the mid 60s to the end of the 90s).  These Giants are only one of three teams all-time to defeat the Packers in a NFL Championship and the third Giants team to win it all.  The logo doesn't change due to the only 4 year difference.

OQVPMEi.png

This would be the one I would love to see the most. It would be a great way to bring back the red third jersey & balance out the red jerseys look with the rest of the uniform.

Washington Redskins:

1933 Throwback: Die Rothäute?

During the second season in franchise history, first as the Redskins, the team looked like what I'd imagine a German national American football team would look like (minus the logo of course).  Another interesting early leather helmet design, and the logo comes from the Heritage Sports Art painting.

goBmwQ0.png

1937 Throwback: Sike! That's The Wrong Numbers!

The team the current Redskins throwback tries to emulate; however, the surprisingly decent recreation of numbers actually comes from the 1938 Redskins, rather than 1937.  Logo comes from the mothership but recolored to match.

cAlD4ok.png

1942 Throwback: Oregon, Is That You?

The NFL champions sported rather large, but tall numbers that might give Oregon football some ideas.  Again, logo comes from the mothership, but recolored.

L3jSC1h.png

hm7YvwN.png

OgzK3Ub.png

Philadelphia Eagles:

1933 Throwback: Back In Baby Blue

Going a different direction that what happened in 2007 and using the new knowledge the Gridiron Uniforms Database, we have this baby blue masterpiece.  Logo comes from the mothership which comes from this letterhead and numbers are based off of the Heritage Sports Art's rendering of the 1934 uniform due to baby blue and yellow not contrasting well in black and white.

oYRjGDS.png

1948 Throwback: The Wingless Champions

Towards the beginning of the "classic" kelly green and silver era, the first Eagles NFL champion team wore these nice serifed jerseys in addition to many variations along the same color scheme and design.  This one was picked due to it being the most common home jersey in the season.  Logo comes from the mothership.

PtlWf4S.png

hm7YvwN.png

OgzK3Ub.png

Archived