NFL 100 Throwback Concepts (32/32 COMPLETE)

packerfan21396

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, BellaSpurs said:

For both the redskins and eagles concepts, i think it would look better if you just did a blank helmet for the 1933 concepts. The old leather helmet patterns don’t work for modern helmets.

I respectfully disagree due to the grounds that if I believed that, every single concept on this thread would have blank helmets.  Sure the "asterisk" design isn't the prettiest, but if it wasn't for Michigan keeping the classic winged stripes alive, I bet that design wouldn't "work" either.

hm7YvwN.png

OgzK3Ub.png

On 3/21/2019 at 11:18 AM, packerfan21396 said:

Cleveland Browns:

1924 Throwback: Cleveland's First NFL Title

Cleveland had a bunch of different teams floating through the early NFL: the Tigers/Indians I, Indians II/Bulldogs (merged with Canton), and Indians III.  The most successful being the second go at pro football in Cleveland, and more specifically, the first season of the merged Cleveland Indians-Canton Bulldogs (called the Cleveland Bulldogs) team that had the best record in the NFL and thus the 1924 champions.  The numbers are based off of the 1925 team and the logo is based off the 1924 Championship watch.

Ti55nhr.png

1946 Throwback: Cleveland's First Drop Shadow

The Browns essentially had the same uniform from 1947 to 2015, so this is the only uniform that was remotely different and is more than likely the reason Nike gave the Browns a dropshadow in 2015.  Also, this was the first of 4 AAFC championship seasons for the Browns.  Brownie the Elf has been a symbol for the Browns since Day 1, so the logo is as such.

nFfk3AC.png

Love the shadowed numbers! I think they only had them for the one season.  This would be a great throwback.

i think that i'm of the opinion that the best looking ones are the ones that share the same color palletes as the teams do currently, except for the packers. the colors are the most defining part of a team's uniform, and I think it just doesn't make sense to see the lions in purple, etc

On 5/2/2019 at 1:04 AM, Meshmaster101 said:

i think that i'm of the opinion that the best looking ones are the ones that share the same color palletes as the teams do currently, except for the packers. the colors are the most defining part of a team's uniform, and I think it just doesn't make sense to see the lions in purple, etc

Well, not every city/franchise has a clear-cut palette throughout its entire history, and the point of this series isn't to make 32 fauxbacks or 32 1980's throwbacks.  I wanted to explore the history of football in every city/franchise and find the most compelling, unique, or classic uniforms, which naturally becomes subjective.

Dallas Cowboys:

1952 Throwback: The First Texans And The First Dallas Football Team

During the Dayton Triangles' wild, convoluted journey to become the Indianapolis Colts, they made a stop in Dallas for a year and became the first football team in Dallas.  Logo comes from a modification of the highly pixelated logo out there to match closer to what the GUD has.

7zjv5DW.png

1960 Throwback: The Beginning of the Cowboys

Back to when the Cowboys actually wore blue at home, the classic Cowboys look that always gets emulated or thrown back to.  Unfortunately, the shoulder diamonds had to be cut off due to the sleeve restraints.

nmv8IF9.png

hm7YvwN.png

OgzK3Ub.png

On 3/27/2019 at 9:02 PM, CaptainBuzKill said:

Can we just talk about how creepy this picture is, considering its telling us to check out NFL.com the day after 9/11 before the events on 9/11 happened? I know there's no correlation between those events but just a strange thing to see... I may be alone in that...

I see your creepy coincidence and raise you this one! I found this same card in my basement a few weeks ago:

s-l1600.jpg

I remember thinking Ed McCaffery breaking his leg would be the top story of the day.

Since the AFC East is next, here are my predictions for their NFL 100 Throwbacks:

YOZXkBG.png?1

On 5/6/2019 at 4:58 PM, heavybassX said:

Steamrollers is a cert for the Patriots I think.

Fun fact: The Providence Steamrollers are the last franchise to win an NFL championship (1928) and later become defunct. 

New York Jets:

1946 Throwback: The Football Yankees?

There have been plenty of teams to play for New York from the 1930s to 1960s, but most pale to the Giants.  However, the New York Football Yankees IV, in my opinion, seem to be the most successful and fitting to be the counterpart to the other football team in New York named after a baseball team. The numbers were challenging and obviously not perfect, being a combination of Clarendon, Nike Kansas, and Nike's 2010 Ohio State 1942 throwback.  The logo is based on the 1946 New York Baseball Yankees logo and this New York Football Yankees schedule.

XihREU1.png

1960 Throwback: The Titans Before The Titans

The Jets started as the Titans and for some reason decided to wear Notre Dame colors before changing to the iconic Gotham kelly green and white.  The logo comes from the 2007 rendering.

sNEpMrL.png

1963 Throwback: What Could've Been

Luckily I'm not a Jets fan, but after J.B. Smoove's painfully drawn out introduction to the 2019 Jets uniforms last month, I'd imagine plenty of Jets fans wished the new uniforms were simply tweaks to 2018 to look like this.

Z7tJIBR.png

hm7YvwN.png

OgzK3Ub.png

Buffalo Bills:

1920 Throwback: All Of The Nicknames

The Buffalo All-Stars/Niagaras/Prospects/All-Americans/Bisons/Rangers/Bisons was the first team to play pro football in Buffalo and have only kept a name at most 4 years, going through 7 names over 15 years.  The Buffalo team from the APFA's inaugural season have McAuliffe numbers and a wordmark from this 1921 program.

DEWeOvs.png

1946 Throwback: What Did The Buffalo Say To His Kid When He Went To College?

The Buffalo Bisons were a part of the AAFC with the likes of the Cleveland Browns and San Francisco 49ers, and were the Bisons for a year before becoming the first iteration of the Buffalo Bills for the remaining 3 years of the AAFC's and the franchise's history.  The logo comes from a combination of this information booklet and this pennant.

LA6ZGs5.png

1962 Throwback: The Beginning Of The Red, White, And Blue Bills

The Buffalo Bills II that we know today started off looking like the Buffalo Bills I from the AAFC for their first 2 years before rolling out this more familiar, classic look.  Chose to have the helmet logo rather than the primary logo because it's more recognizable.

iV6WGNW.png

hm7YvwN.png

OgzK3Ub.png

• packerfan21396 changed the title to NFL 100 Throwback Concepts (14/32, 5/13 Bills)
On 5/6/2019 at 5:36 AM, packerfan21396 said:

Well, not every city/franchise has a clear-cut palette throughout its entire history, and the point of this series isn't to make 32 fauxbacks or 32 1980's throwbacks.  I wanted to explore the history of football in every city/franchise and find the most compelling, unique, or classic uniforms, which naturally becomes subjective.

Dallas Cowboys:

1952 Throwback: The First Texans And The First Dallas Football Team

During the Dayton Triangles' wild, convoluted journey to become the Indianapolis Colts, they made a stop in Dallas for a year and became the first football team in Dallas.  Logo comes from a modification of the highly pixelated logo out there to match closer to what the GUD has.

7zjv5DW.png

I actually really like this. If Houston wanted to "throwback" to a team, even if this isn't Houston history & it's linked more to Dallas they could claim it as the first "Texans". But I just really love the simplicity of the set.

New England Patriots:

1928 Throwback: The First Championship To Come To New England

Before Tom Brady happened, the only New England championship didn't come from Massachusetts, but rather Rhode Island.  The Providence Steam Roller only existed for 18 years, and only 9 of them were in the APFA and NFL, but they brought home a championship in 1928.  Logo comes from this shirt due to the modernization of the logo having a rather terrible font to it.

og51kJS.png

1944 Throwback: The Boston Oxymorons

There were a couple football teams in Boston, but only the Boston Yanks lasted more than a year and didn't move to Washington.  I personally think it's sacrilegious to have a team called the Yanks call Fenway Park its home, but the 40s were a weird time.  Logo comes from their 1946 Media Guide.

vj1ewQ8.png

1960: Back When They Were Irrelevant

Back when the Patriots thought that red should be the ideal color to represent a team named after the revolutionists that fought against the Redcoats, these Patriots didn't have the nation rooting against them because they've done nothing and would do nothing for 4 decades.  Logo comes from a higher resolution logo than the mothership.

KIWl53Z.png

hm7YvwN.png

OgzK3Ub.png

• packerfan21396 changed the title to NFL 100 Throwback Concepts (15/32, 5/20 Patriots)
On 5/20/2019 at 6:17 PM, packerfan21396 said:

Haha, it is a rather strange one, but as far as I know, it's real.

What is it supposed to be exactly? It looks like a guy wearing a dog costume 😂

Miami Dolphins:

1946 Throwback: The First Miami Team And The First Seahawks

The Miami Seahawks lasted for only one season before becoming the first iteration of the Baltimore Colts (that was my 1947 Throwback for the Ravens) and were quite a disappointment being described by the local paper as "woefully inept" and became so far in debt, it had to be claimed by the AAFC at the conclusion of their sole 1946 season.

FBSStPA.png

1972 Throwback: Perfection

Since the Dolphins already have a perfect throwback, I decided to make the "Perfect" throwback (Get it? GET IT??? *boos come from the back*).  A historic perfect season in the Super Bowl era that has yet to be replicated thanks to the Giants.

awr3ept.png

hm7YvwN.png

OgzK3Ub.png

Archived