NFL 100 Throwback Concepts (32/32 COMPLETE)

packerfan21396

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, ATolly66 said:

That Miami Seahawks jersey is a nightmare for color blind people (like myself). 

Haha, it's a contrast nightmare to us non-color blind people as well.  I'm pretty sure this color combo was because of the Miami Hurricanes, so blame them.  There's another orange jersey that the Miami Seahawks wore with all the white stripes being green to hurt your eyes even more, but I chose the white stripes because they wore them more often.

hm7YvwN.png

OgzK3Ub.png

Atlanta Falcons:

1966 Throwback: Doing Them Justice

The current Falcons throwback has the crutch of the one helmet rule and the lazy common athletic block application.  So, as per usual, I fixed the numbers and the helmet.

uReStd6.png

1980 Throwback: The First Taste Of Success

At the end of the 70's and the beginning of the 80's the Falcons started going to the Playoffs for the first time.  The best of those seasons happened in 1980, and thus, this stripe heaven was worthy of being created.

mJmlgVb.png

hm7YvwN.png

OgzK3Ub.png

• packerfan21396 changed the title to NFL 100 Throwback Concepts (17/32, 6/2 Falcons)
17 hours ago, Discrimihater said:

The 1980 numbers and jersey striping should be silver, not white, but good effort.

Ah, I see.  I just thought it looked silver because of a poor screen-printing job of white on black, but, as you pointed out, the sleeve striping is also silver, so it must be on purpose.  I'll update that shortly.

hm7YvwN.png

OgzK3Ub.png

1 hour ago, The Easter Beagle said:

I'd go with the good ole 90's.

No offense.

Well, if you take the 60's tops and 80's bottoms, you get the 90's pretty much.  The current throwbacks do a decent job of hinting at the 90's, so I figured to leave the Dirty Birds out of this.

hm7YvwN.png

OgzK3Ub.png

New Orleans Saints:

1967 Throwback: Salvaging the Color Rush

The Saints current Color Rush jersey looks incredibly similar to the 1967 team with the "fat" numbers, but I personally prefer the "skinny" numbers.  Also, with this throwback as well as the next, I picked a gold regardless of exact historical accuracy in an effort to streamline both throwbacks.  But yes, in the 60's and 70's the Saints wore numerous golds at once.

stSyuDx.png

1972 Throwback: Stripes on Stripes on Stripes on Stripes

The trend of having massive sleeve stripes hit the Saints, and I shrunk them done a bit rather than cutting off half a la 1997 Packers.  Also, these Saints have one of the more interesting sock stripes.  After the early 70's, The Saints started looking more and more like the current Saints, so for the same reason I didn't do the 60's-90's Packers, I'm not going any later than 1972 for the Saints.

AgLVTT0.png

hm7YvwN.png

OgzK3Ub.png

• packerfan21396 changed the title to NFL 100 Throwback Concepts (18/32, 6/4 Saints)

Tampa Bay Buccaneers:

1926 Throwback: Tampa's First Attempt At Professional Football

Immediately following the 1925 season, Red Grange and the Chicago Bears decided to take a barnstorming tour to bring football to many new markets in an effort to expand the reach of football.  One of the more prominent local teams the Bears played were the Tampa Cardinals (also named the St. Petersburg Cardinals), which were mostly made up of Jim Thorpe and the Rock Island Independents.  Due to there only being this picture and Wikipedia's color scheme to determine what the uniforms looked like, the numbers are from the Independents, and so is the logo (from the flag football team that played in celebration of the 2019 NFL Draft stopping by).

0zr3OUs.png

1976: The Only Bucs Throwback That Matters

Return of the Creamsicle, all hail the orange and red.  The only uniform in Bucs history that deserves to be a throwback regardless of the 24-loss streak to start this franchise.

wMfVx9G.png

hm7YvwN.png

OgzK3Ub.png

• packerfan21396 changed the title to NFL 100 Throwback Concepts (19/32, 6/5 Buccaneers)
On 6/6/2019 at 9:23 AM, simtek34 said:

Since I see the Panthers are next, I raise you, 1993 Prototype Uniforms.

Already in the works, my friend.

On 6/6/2019 at 2:32 PM, JH42XCC said:

I wonder if the uniforms of the Raleigh-Durham Skyhawks from the old WLAF should be considered as throwbacks for the Panthers?

Spoiler alert: The WFL Charlotte Hornets make the cut instead because they actually won a game and were the first Carolinas team.

hm7YvwN.png

OgzK3Ub.png

Carolina Panthers:

1975 Throwback: The Surprisingly Late Beginning To Pro Football In North Carolina

Pro football took until 1974 to come to North Carolina, and it happened mid-season.  The Charlotte Hornets of the World Football League lasted from the middle of the 1974 season to the end of the 1975 season.  So thus, this lovechild of the Packers and Steelers exists.

bEbHPE6.png

1993 Throwback: The Uniform That Could've Been

Before they stepped on a field, the Panthers had a quite different uniform planned and even a slightly different color scheme.  However, come the 1995 season, the Panthers took the field wearing essentially the same uniform we see today.  So behold, in what could've been.

c80Mgiw.png

hm7YvwN.png

OgzK3Ub.png

• packerfan21396 changed the title to NFL 100 Throwback Concepts (20/32, 6/6 Panthers)

On 6/5/2019 at 3:58 PM, packerfan21396 said:

Tampa Bay Buccaneers:

1976: The Only Bucs Throwback That Matters

Return of the Creamsicle, all hail the orange and red.  The only uniform in Bucs history that deserves to be a throwback regardless of the 24-loss streak to start this franchise.

wMfVx9G.png

Just out of curiosity, why go with the away/white version? Is it because they've already thrown back to the orange tops prior? Otherwise, I'm sure plenty of people are clamoring for this back.

@WBeltz I'm not sure what happened to your post, but it's unquoteable and half of it is an empty quote box.  However, I went with white because in 1976, the Bucs only wore white (in the regular season). But orange is the more popular jersey and they started wearing that the next year as their home jersey, so I could've gone either way.  I like throwing back to their first year on the 1960's and later teams.

hm7YvwN.png

OgzK3Ub.png

Indianapolis Colts:

1924 Throwback: The Beginning Of A Road Trip

The Indianapolis Colts can trace their roots to the Dayton Triangles, technically.  As a result, the most iconic Triangles jersey gets the Colts throwback treatment.

WTnpW9y.png

1953 Throwback: The First Of The Franchise

The first uniform of the current Colts franchise were essentially a blue and white copy of the previous iteration of the Baltimore Colts (as made for the Ravens) with a new number font.  This look kept getting tweaked until 6 years later, the Baltimore Colts started looking like the Colts we know today.

ZS3Wkjg.png

hm7YvwN.png

OgzK3Ub.png

• packerfan21396 changed the title to NFL 100 Throwback Concepts (21/32, 6/8 Colts)
10 minutes ago, rattyrattera said:

I would've gone with the green-silver AAFC/NFL (1950) Colts, but the 1953 unis are fine (though I did like the 1956 throwbacks with two horseshoes at the back of the helmet worn about 10 years ago)

Green/silver Baltimore Colts II are a different franchise than the blue/white Baltimore Colts III/Indianapolis Colts, so I gave em to the Ravens.  And the double horseshoe helmet is a great option, but like you said it has been done before, and the current Colts Color Rush hints at the early Colts enough.

hm7YvwN.png

OgzK3Ub.png

Archived