MLS Kits 2020 (Seattle updated 4/5)

upperV03

With the 2019 MLS season getting underway this weekend, I was inspired to start another MLS concept series where I design the kits for the next season. I did one of these back in 2015,’16, and ‘17, but never got around to it last year. With this season’s crop of new kits being fairly dissapointing, I figured this was an appropriate time to bring it back. As usual, I’ll only be designing the kits that’ll be released next season (so for most teams it’ll only be one kit). The new expansion teams starting next season, Nashville and Miami, will obviously get two kits. And Cincinnati will be replacing their primary and secondaries next year, so I’ll design two for them as well.

I’m gonna start with my hometown team, the Portland Timbers. After unveiling their classy, albeit somewhat pedestrian white secondaries last year, I wanted to come up with something that was a bit more adventurous, while still keeping the classiness that we’ve come to expect from them in recent years. The kit is meant to have a bit of a retro feel with the color scheme, but it’s not an actual throwback. The athletic gold base color is taken directly from the stripes in city flag, and the shirt has a tonal plaid/tartan pattern made up of those same stripes. The gold base color is paired with a darker green than their regular green, similar to the base color of their ‘14/15 thirds. “Rose City ‘Til I Die” is on the back neck, and the city flag (with the green darkened to better match the kit) is used as the jocktag. Green shorts are the first choice option, with yellow clash shorts available as well. Yellow socks round it out. Let me know your thoughts!

spacer.png

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

19 hours ago, upperV03 said:

With the 2019 MLS season getting underway this weekend, I was inspired to start another MLS concept series where I design the kits for the next season. I did one of these back in 2015,’16, and ‘17, but never got around to it last year. With this season’s crop of new kits being fairly dissapointing, I figured this was an appropriate time to bring it back. As usual, I’ll only be designing the kits that’ll be released next season (so for most teams it’ll only be one kit). The new expansion teams starting next season, Nashville and Miami, will obviously get two kits. And Cincinnati will be replacing their primary and secondaries next year, so I’ll design two for them as well.

I’m gonna start with my hometown team, the Portland Timbers. After unveiling their classy, albeit somewhat pedestrian white secondaries last year, I wanted to come up with something that was a bit more adventurous, while still keeping the classiness that we’ve come to expect from them in recent years. The kit is meant to have a bit of a retro feel with the color scheme, but it’s not an actual throwback. The athletic gold base color is taken directly from the stripes in city flag, and the shirt has a tonal plaid/tartan pattern made up of those same stripes. The gold base color is paired with a darker green than their regular green, similar to the base color of their ‘14/15 thirds. “Rose City ‘Til I Die” is on the back neck, and the city flag (with the green darkened to better match the kit) is used as the jocktag. Green shorts are the first choice option, with yellow clash shorts available as well. Yellow socks round it out. Let me know your thoughts!

spacer.png

I love the pattern you have for Portland. I fits the team so well. Excited to see what you have in store for the expansion teams and the Revs!

Thanks for the comments, guys. Glad you like the Timbers’ kit. I’m back today with a new secondary for the Whitecaps. Their current dark grey/silver secondary is not only off-brand but a bit stale as well, so I decided to focus on their two shades of blue for this new kit. The shirt also has a diamond/argyle pattern made up of various shades of blue and based on the shapes from the crest. The crest, as well as the entire kit, is navy and light blue without any white or grey. Navy shorts and socks round it out. Feel free to leave any comments, suggestions, etc.

spacer.png

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

19 hours ago, Section30 said:

Vancouver looks good, but I thought it was Sporting KC until I noticed the logo

Understandable given the similar color schemes. I started by primarily having white accents, but the kit felt a bit plain and too similar to their past navy away kits, which is why I ended up embracing the light blue. For SKC I have something a bit different in mind. Thanks as always for the comment!

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

On 3/11/2019 at 11:41 AM, upperV03 said:

Thanks for the comments, guys. Glad you like the Timbers’ kit. I’m back today with a new secondary for the Whitecaps. Their current dark grey/silver secondary is not only off-brand but a bit stale as well, so I decided to focus on their two shades of blue for this new kit. The shirt also has a diamond/argyle pattern made up of various shades of blue and based on the shapes from the crest. The crest, as well as the entire kit, is navy and light blue without any white or grey. Navy shorts and socks round it out. Feel free to leave any comments, suggestions, etc.

spacer.png

I would buy that shirt in a heartbeat. Beautiful.

• 3 weeks later...

I apologize for the long delay, but I’m finally back to round out Cascadia with a new primary kit for the Sounders. Before I get to that, though, I’ve updated my Timbers and Whitecaps concepts to include Adidas’ new shorts style, as seen on the new Argentina, Colombia, and Mexico home kits. All of my concepts in this thread will now include the updated shorts style. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

As for the Sounders, I wanted to come up with something that was relatively simple and clean since their current primary is frankly a mess and one of the worst they’ve had. I made the Adidas stripes white for the first time since their inaugural MLS home kit to provide some nice contrast and to break up all the green and blue. The collar and cuffs have thin white piping as well. I also added a wavy line pattern to the front of the shirt and to the sleeves in a slightly darker, richer shade of green. The wavy lines pay homage to their NASL crests, and of course to the Puget Sound. Finally, the jocktag is the City of Seattle logo inside of a white circle. As always, feel free to leave any C&C if you so desire, and thanks for looking.

spacer.png

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Your take on my Sounders is an improvement from the awkward current kit.

The white Adidas stripes look way better, and the wave pattern is cool.

I think the shirt needs some more blue, though.

Also, please add the white outline back to the crest! It looks more unbalanced without it.

Vancouver looks pretty good, but I agree with @Section30, the argyle is a KC thing.

On 4/3/2019 at 8:18 AM, vtgco said:

Your take on my Sounders is an improvement from the awkward current kit.

The white Adidas stripes look way better, and the wave pattern is cool.

I think the shirt needs some more blue, though.

Also, please add the white outline back to the crest! It looks more unbalanced without it.

Vancouver looks pretty good, but I agree with @Section30, the argyle is a KC thing.

Thanks for the response, glad you like my Sounders design. Truth be told, I’ve always felt like the white outline on the crest is superfluous, but I did add it back since that’s how it appears on the actual kits. As for adding more blue to the shirt, I decided to add a gradient effect to the wave pattern with blue in the middle. The blue is pretty subtle at about 50% opacity, as it looked a bit too garish at 100% opacity. I also felt like the color balance on the shirt was pretty good as is, and didn’t want to upset that balance too much. Here’s the updated design:

spacer.png

Also, regarding your comment about the Whitecaps kit, I personally feel like the argyle/diamond pattern that I used is different enough from what SKC has used in the past, both in design and application. It’s also meant to play off of the Whitecaps’ crest, and so I feel like it’s more than appropriate for them. 

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

2 hours ago, hendocfc said:

I know it wouldn't be the Sounders green this way,but could you try a richer primary green? Their "rave" green is like volt, it just can't look good!

Yeah, their shade of green is quite dull. If I have time I’ll see what a richer green color would look like on my concept.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

4 hours ago, hendocfc said:

I think the green from the new Copa 19 boots is a nice reference, if you need one: 

Copa_19__Firm_Ground_Boots_______BB9184_

I did end up finding some time to do a version with a richer green. The green I chose is sort of a mix between the green on those boots and neon green.

spacer.png

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Archived