Matthew24

Rant - What football league will you support in 2020

I will check out any and all newcomers if they are readily available for my viewing, some current league specific comments and my habits regarding them...

NFL - Haven't watched a full game in years, honestly got tired of all the non-football stuff and only catch snippets here and there. Hardly follow the league at all and I've been a Bucs fan since they started playing in 1976.

NCAA - One of my two primary football passions...go Buffs!!

CFL - Was exposed to it years and years ago when I used to travel Canada for work and would watch occasionally. Started watching full time 3 or 4 seasons ago now and am hooked. Very upbeat and fun game to watch...go Stamps!!

AAF - Enjoying what I've see so far, but sometimes it's a (minor) hassle to find out what network the games are on. I also think for local attendance they should really push the start of the season back a month...go Fleet!!

As a follow up, fairly soon I'll be getting a bill in the mail for something just shy of $4000 for 4 season tickets.

I'll gladly pay that bill.

Ever since this last playoff run of 2018 and the same team winning the Super Bowl again I have considered tuning out the NFL for the 2019 season and to focus more on college football moreso the PAC 12.  But I don't know maybe my emotions will take over myself and I will come running back to the NFL this fall hoping that things are different.  

1 hour ago, Dodgeryaqui8016 said:

Ever since this last playoff run of 2018 and the same team winning the Super Bowl again I have considered tuning out the NFL for the 2019 season and to focus more on college football moreso the PAC 12.  But I don't know maybe my emotions will take over myself and I will come running back to the NFL this fall hoping that things are different.  

I did that a few years back and honestly, during the first season was a little strange and we still have football playing on Sunday when we are in the house and doing other things, but I no longer sit and watch all day long. I spend Saturday following the NCAA and watch all the CFL I can and three seasons later don't miss the all-day NFL watching at all.

I will admit one thing: despite my not having watched the NFL for a long time on account of an event that broke my emotional link to it, I am tempted to give it a shot just to see this guy Mahomes, who seems pretty exciting.  Leave it to the son of a baseball player, who himself was a baseball prospect! 

On 3/8/2019 at 10:31 AM, Skycast said:

I did that a few years back and honestly, during the first season was a little strange and we still have football playing on Sunday when we are in the house and doing other things, but I no longer sit and watch all day long. I spend Saturday following the NCAA and watch all the CFL I can and three seasons later don't miss the all-day NFL watching at all.

Another reason for me too is that here in Arizona we are cooped up in the house all summer from the represive heat.  The weather here starts getting nice around October which is when the NFL is on.  So my theory is; why continue to be cooped up in the house once the weather is nice (fall) to go hiking or do family outings when you know who is going to win the SB anyways?  

5 minutes ago, Dodgeryaqui8016 said:

Another reason for me too is that here in Arizona we are cooped up in the house all summer from the represive heat.  The weather here starts getting nice around October which is when the NFL is on.  So my theory is; why continue to be cooped up in the house once the weather is nice (fall) to go hiking or do family outings when you know who is going to win the SB anyways?  

You take that one team who you know will win the Super Bowl anyway, and I get all the rest.

I'll win way more money in the long run than you will.

On 3/11/2019 at 8:24 AM, Sec19Row53 said:

You take that one team who you know will win the Super Bowl anyway, and I get all the rest.

I'll win way more money in the long run than you will.

Knock yourself out if you want to see New England in it every year.  Me, I wont waste my time anymore until Belichek and Brady leave. 

33 minutes ago, Dodgeryaqui8016 said:

Knock yourself out if you want to see New England in it every year.  Me, I wont waste my time anymore until Belichek and Brady leave. 

Sorry - you totally missed the point.

You say you don't want to watch the NFL because you know who is going to win it. I say you are wrong.

pssst - not a Patriots fan and don't want to see them win 

In the past ten or so years, the NFL has become more and more unwatchable for me. The fact that everything is a penalty, the absurdly literal interpretation of rules without using common sense (like when 3 players from the same team land on a fumble, but we couldnt figure out which one exactly recovered it, so lets just give it to the other team!), and rarely a game goes by that I dont just sit there and think it was decided not by a football contest but by a ridiculous call/rule.

A large part of me wants to see one of these upstart leagues come in and get rid of this referee-ball thats taking over the game and just let football happen. 

I’ll be honest though, even if this comes true I dont think I could ever turn my back on the NFL. I know its kind of like Seinfelds “rooting for laundry” bit, but the teams and the leagues history/rivalries are something Im too crazy about to ever replace with a new league. Im a huge sucker but its true and I find comfort in the league I’ve been obsessed with for so long. I think I’ll just hold out hope that the NFL can change its ways.

51 minutes ago, McGlinchey23 said:

A large part of me wants to see one of these upstart leagues come in and get rid of this referee-ball thats taking over the game and just let football happen. 

I’ll be honest though, even if this comes true I dont think I could ever turn my back on the NFL. I know its kind of like Seinfelds “rooting for laundry” bit, but the teams and the leagues history/rivalries are something Im too crazy about to ever replace with a new league. Im a huge sucker but its true and I find comfort in the league I’ve been obsessed with for so long. I think I’ll just 

I get it. 

And I also want to repeate that this isn’t a zero sum game. Hell, I’ve followed the CFL and NFL separately for as long as I’ve been a football fan. There’s no law that says you can only like one team per sport. 

It’s analogous to hockey. Do the Kitchener Rangers take away from the Maple Leafs’ support in Kitchener-Waterloo? No, and they never will. That being said there are plenty of people who root for both. And that’s ok. The OHL game is different from the NHL, talent level not withstanding. 

And it means both can co-exist. 

So if the AAF or XFL 2.0 present a game you like? Go for it. The NFL will still be waiting for you, and you can like teams in all three leagues. 

2 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

So if the AAF or XFL 2.0 present a game you like? Go for it. The NFL will still be waiting for you, and you can like teams in all three leagues

Honestly have to agree with that. The NFL is the old reliable league that been around without much issues despite some of it controversy?

I have the same feeling with the MLB and other league like it minor league system and even the ABL or NPB. While i watch or listen to them, mostly listen to the Minor League with tunein. I really can't abandon the MLB despite the games being longer then it was a decade ago or it strike from 1994. It is American past time for a reason. 

Gotta be honest. Before writing this I was arrogant toward the NFL due to it stupidity (some wont go away, like AB), I honestly did give it another thought and I do want the NFL to last. It kinda like if the WWE goes out of business, it will leave a giant size hole that probably never be recovered (although with AEW coming soon, who knows?)

So in hindsight, i probably learned something by doing this. Which is honestly a good feeling. 

*checks how many people view the topic*

Holy ****! Over a thousand. That honestly something i wasn't expecting. Thanks for it btw. :)

11 hours ago, McGlinchey23 said:

Surely you realise that penalties are called only when players do illegal things. The request to "just let football happen" amounts to a request to overlook dangerous play.

Watching soccer one notices that the degree of involvement of the referee is entirely dependent upon the conduct of the players. And this is no less true in American football. 

Early in the most recent NFL season, there was an incident in which a defensive lineman had a quarterback in his grasp, but then let him go in order to avoid being penalised for falling on him with his body. Some fans complained; but, if a player doesn't do something because that thing is illegal, this is exactly how it is supposed to work.

I would agree that some rules should be loosened (offensive holding); and I'd say that some rules should be eliminated altogether (offensive pass interference).

Other rules could stand to be changed for the sake of simplicity; for example, one foot in bounds would make more sense than two feet. (The best possible rule change would be to get rid of one defensive lineman and play 11 on 10, with 4 vs. 3 up front; though I am certainly not holding my breath for this one.)

But whatever the rules are, coaches and players ultimately decide whether they intend to play within these rules, as in the tradition of rugby, or whether they wish to adopt an approach of skirting the rules. If they do the latter, then they can't complain about officials' involvement. It is not reasonable to ask officials to overlook infractions in the name of a free-flowing game.

10 hours ago, McGlinchey23 said:

In the past ten or so years, the NFL has become more and more unwatchable for me. The fact that everything is a penalty, the absurdly literal interpretation of rules without using common sense (like when 3 players from the same team land on a fumble, but we couldnt figure out which one exactly recovered it, so lets just give it to the other team!)

I don’t remember that - when was it?

4 hours ago, McGlinchey23 said:

https://www.dallascowboys.com/video/cowboys-maintain-ball-on-controversial-kickoff

I was referring to this play. Three Eagles land on the fumble, but inconclusive evidence as to who recovered it, so Dallas kept it! It was crazy

Well, the written commentary here misses the fact that this happened after the whistle blew, so it is a correct application of the rule in that there was no clear and obvious recovery by a player.

Rant against the rule, not the outcome. Re-word the rule to say team instead of player, and this shouldn't happen.

Spoken another way - words have meaning. Choose your words wisely [not choose you're words wisely] 🙂

15 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Well, the written commentary here misses the fact that this happened after the whistle blew, so it is a correct application of the rule in that there was no clear and obvious recovery by a player.

Rant against the rule, not the outcome. Re-word the rule to say team instead of player, and this shouldn't happen.

Spoken another way - words have meaning. Choose your words wisely [not choose you're words wisely] 🙂

Thats exactly what I am ranting against, the rules.

And I do understand that the refs are just doing their job, but yeah there are just some instances where stuff gets so micromanaged that if you look at the big picture you can just see that they’re devolving into something thats getting further and further from the original point of the game.

Like the Calvin Johnson catch from a few years back, or actually jesus christ, that was 9 years ago wow.

But anyway, the fact that a guy can catch a ball, land on two feet in the endzone, than land on his butt, without scoring a touchdown is beyond parody. There are many other examples of the league getting carried away with this stuff, and they need to look back and simplify some of this crap. 

10 minutes ago, McGlinchey23 said:

Thats exactly what I am ranting against, the rules.

And I do understand that the refs are just doing their job, but yeah there are just some instances where stuff gets so micromanaged that if you look at the big picture you can just see that they’re devolving into something thats getting further and further from the original point of the game.

Like the Calvin Johnson catch from a few years back, or actually jesus christ, that was 9 years ago wow.

But anyway, the fact that a guy can catch a ball, land on two feet in the endzone, than land on his butt, without scoring a touchdown is beyond parody. There are many other examples of the league getting carried away with this stuff, and they need to look back and simplify some of this crap. 

Yup. As a diehard Packer fan, I will always say that Dez Bryant made a great grab, it just wasn't a football catch 🙂