Campaign to bring MLB to Raleigh, North Carolina

coco1997

2 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Raleigh seems to be missing two kinda important things that might play into its viability as an expansion city. 

1) an ownership group with the ability to secure the obscene capital it would take to pay expansion fees and other startup costs, and 

2) any sort of commitment at all to get a stadium built if a team comes. 

This is all a total total waste of time until there’s an owner that wants (and can afford) a team, and a rock-solid stadium plan. 

Vancouver could get both of these done at roughly the same market size with higher population density and snag a much bigger television deal in the end.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, the admiral said:

Vancouver could get both of these done at roughly the same market size with higher population density and snag a much bigger television deal in the end.

I’ll buy the first Vancouver Baseball Canucks cap. Seriously. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The more I think about Vancouver as NL expansion team (figure the Astros are never coming back at this point), the more I like it. It gets NL baseball on Canadian television, presumably coast-to-coast-to-coast to overlap the Blue Jays, and gets the NL into the Pacific Northwest, international border notwithstanding. I believe BC has produced a fair number of ballplayers, too.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

58 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Vancouver should absolutely be on the list.  And yes, I’d put it higher than North Carolina. 

My personal list would be Charlotte, Portland, Vancouver, basically any city outside of Quebec, Las Vegas, Montreal. If expansion were to happen (highly unlikely and would be a stupid idea), I'd place Charlotte in the NL and Portland/Vancouver in the AL, to drum up rivalries between the Braves/Charlotte and Mariners/PNW. I'm sure the Rays will make their move to Montreal, and it will fail in about 20 or so years, meaning yet another move, probably to whichever city I listed doesn't get a team.

the user formerly known as cdclt

Raleigh would be one of the last places Id want an MLB team in. Leave that market to the Durham Bulls and Carolina MudCats.

Montreal and Portland would be my top two, followed by Charlotte, Vancouver, Nashville, Las Vegas. Raleigh isnt that big of a market. It can barely support the Hurricanes. The Triangle is a minor league/college market.

Signature intentionally left blank

56 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

Be "All In" on one and fail or be half-a$$ on two and also fail.

Well that sounds like NC State's relationship with football and basketball, so I think it fits.

4 hours ago, QueenCitySwarm said:

My personal list would be Charlotte, Portland, Vancouver, basically any city outside of Quebec, Las Vegas, Montreal. If expansion were to happen (highly unlikely and would be a stupid idea), I'd place Charlotte in the NL and Portland/Vancouver in the AL, to drum up rivalries between the Braves/Charlotte and Mariners/PNW. I'm sure the Rays will make their move to Montreal, and it will fail in about 20 or so years, meaning yet another move, probably to whichever city I listed doesn't get a team.

It will likely be between them and NBA to see who the last league to get to 32 will be but I would guess that the NBA is watching the events going on in Seattle regarding the former Key Arena very carefully. 

The Mariners would want an easier travel schedule out of a PNW team, so I’m sure they’d try hard to make a Vancouver (which is far better market than Montréal, IMHO) or Portland team an AL franchise. Besides, regular regional games would be a huge boon for setting up a team.

16 hours ago, GDAWG said:

It will likely be between them and NBA to see who the last league to get to 32 will be but I would guess that the NBA is watching the events going on in Seattle regarding the former Key Arena very carefully. 

I'm sure the NBA is already planning expansion, given Seattle's new arena, they're probably just waiting for an official bid to launch, as well as another city to place a team (my bets are on Louisville, Las Vegas, or Kansas City).

6 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

The Mariners would want an easier travel schedule out of a PNW team, so I’m sure they’d try hard to make a Vancouver (which is far better market than Montréal, IMHO) or Portland team an AL franchise. Besides, regular regional games would be a huge boon for setting up a team.

I'm completely with you on not wanting Montréal to return to MLB, and a PNW AL team would probably appease the Mariners enough to convince them to give up the territory, though if it was Vancouver, the territorial rights might be harder to get, given the Blue Jays' current control of all of Canada.

On 3/6/2019 at 11:20 PM, Wings said:

I don't think we should have expansion until at least the 2230's. 

Edited to reflect reality. 

The last thing MLB needs is expansion. The second to last thing MLB needs is to expand to freaking Raleigh-Durham, NC. Let's fix Oakland, the two Florida teams, and add some sort of salary minimum to stop teams from tanking at the start of Spring Training. We'll try that for, I don't know, 50 years or so and then we can take a look at expansion. 

BB52Big.jpg

1 hour ago, infrared41 said:

Edited to reflect reality. 

The last thing MLB needs is expansion. The second to last thing MLB needs is to expand to freaking Raleigh-Durham, NC. Let's fix Oakland, the two Florida teams, and add some sort of salary minimum to stop teams from tanking at the start of Spring Training. We'll try that for, I don't know, 50 years or so and then we can take a look at expansion. 

Obviously expansion is not something that the MLB should look at, but I still think it's fun to speculate and debate about which cities are at the top if expansion ever comes. Personally, I'd have Oakland move to Portland, and move the Rays to Charlotte, but that doesn't seem to be how it's going to work out in real life.

9 minutes ago, QueenCitySwarm said:

Obviously expansion is not something that the MLB should look at, but I still think it's fun to speculate and debate about which cities are at the top if expansion ever comes. Personally, I'd have Oakland move to Portland, and move the Rays to Charlotte, but that doesn't seem to be how it's going to work out in real life.

Agreed. If MLB were to expand, I think it would need to pick cities where baseball is the only game in town (Kinda like the NBA and OKC) or at most a city with just one other big 4 team. Strange as it sounds, I think an MLB team would have a better chance of succeeding in a cities like El Paso or Austin than it would in city like Charlotte. I think Louisville would be an OK spot, but it's pretty close to Cincinnati and St. Louis. Portland, Vancouver, San Antonio, and Oklahoma City are cities where an MLB team might work too. I'd just make it a point to stay way from cities with 2 or more teams. Or every city I mentioned could end up being a disaster. B)

BB52Big.jpg

On 7/27/2019 at 7:22 PM, Dilbert said:

Raleigh would be one of the last places Id want an MLB team in. Leave that market to the Durham Bulls and Carolina MudCats.

Montreal and Portland would be my top two, followed by Charlotte, Vancouver, Nashville, Las Vegas. Raleigh isnt that big of a market. It can barely support the Hurricanes. The Triangle is a minor league/college market.

Ninja edit.

I'm sure Nashville would love to think of itself as a major-league city and all but a/ they're too close to Atlanta as it is, barely 250 miles, and b/ just a few short years ago Nashville Metro put $60M toward the building of First Tennessee Park for their AAA Sounds. With where it sits now, and with the already scarce amount of "prime real state" in/around the downtown core, no chance that park gets expanded to MLB size. (Plus Nashville has other more important problems to solve rather than trying to go major-league--but that's a whole 'nother forum.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

4 hours ago, infrared41 said:

Agreed. If MLB were to expand, I think it would need to pick cities where baseball is the only game in town (Kinda like the NBA and OKC) or at most a city with just one other big 4 team. Strange as it sounds, I think an MLB team would have a better chance of succeeding in a cities like El Paso or Austin than it would in city like Charlotte. I think Louisville would be an OK spot, but it's pretty close to Cincinnati and St. Louis. Portland, Vancouver, San Antonio, and Oklahoma City are cities where an MLB team might work too. I'd just make it a point to stay way from cities with 2 or more teams. Or every city I mentioned could end up being a disaster. B)

I would think that Louisville would make an attempt to get into the NBA whenever the NBA announces expansion, which is not anytime soon (and probably before MLB expands) but I would think that the NBA is watching the progress of the Seattle Center Arena very carefully. 

16 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

I would think that Louisville would make an attempt to get into the NBA whenever the NBA announces expansion, which is not anytime soon (and probably before MLB expands) but I would think that the NBA is watching the progress of the Seattle Center Arena very carefully. 

Yeah, I guess, but what's that got to do with what I said? B) 

BB52Big.jpg

1 hour ago, Buc said:

Ninja edit.

I'm sure Nashville would love to think of itself as a major-league city and all but a/ they're too close to Atlanta as it is, barely 250 miles, and b/ just a few short years ago Nashville Metro put $60M toward the building of First Tennessee Park for their AAA Sounds. With where it sits now, and with the already scarce amount of "prime real state" in/around the downtown core, no chance that park gets expanded to MLB size. (Plus Nashville has other more important problems to solve rather than trying to go major-league--but that's a whole 'nother forum.)

I only mentioned Nashville as in May a group said they were interested in possible MLB expansion. They are at the end of my list along Las Vegas and Raleigh as, 1. Nashville is already building a new stadium for the new MLS club, and just built the new minor league park for the Sounds. Im honestly not worried about distance between them and Atlanta. The cities can hold their own. Heck Baltimore, DC and Phily are all within 140 miles of each other so distance isnt really an issue.

Signature intentionally left blank

Archived