Campaign to bring MLB to Raleigh, North Carolina

coco1997

6 hours ago, infrared41 said:

Edited to reflect reality. 

The last thing MLB needs is expansion. The second to last thing MLB needs is to expand to freaking Raleigh-Durham, NC. Let's fix Oakland, the two Florida teams, and add some sort of salary minimum to stop teams from tanking at the start of Spring Training. We'll try that for, I don't know, 50 years or so and then we can take a look at expansion. 

2030 was just a prediction but I agree that expansion should be put on hold for a long time. I think Portland will be ok if MLB doesn't come calling. 

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

21 years and counting is the longest baseball has gone without expansion in the expansion era. Obviously the pace was going to slow from, say, adding four teams at once in 1969 (which even then was largely a consequence of Stuart Symington doing a nice-antitrust-exemption-you-got-here-be-a-shame-if-something-happened-to-it because the Kansas City franchise wouldn't be up and running fast enough for the good people of Missouri), but we've seen eight-going-on-nine teams join the rest of the Big Four since the Diamondbacks and Rays, and I don't even know how many MLS teams. I feel like there's a new MLS team every week; I think Bayern Waukesha is set to join in 2023.

I definitely agree that baseball has to get its existing house in order before it thinks about expansion (somehow we give the bumbling NHL a pass on this principle) by resolving the stadium issues and tanking issues (or in the case of Oakland, a stadium septic tank issue), but I think it's going to happen in the 2020s.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

2026 Wild Card Participant!

2027 Member Club

2028 AL South 3rd-place Champions

My softball league has 10 teams but only two weeks for playoffs (play only on Monday) so they have a bracket with top 4, who play for the championship, next 4 who play for 5th place, and bottom 2 just play each other twice just to give them the same amount of games. 

Anyway, my team is in the second division bracket, and I’ve heard more than once that we’re playing to win the 5th-place championship. Nauseating.  

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

9 hours ago, Wings said:

2030 was just a prediction but I agree that expansion should be put on hold for a long time. I think Portland will be ok if MLB doesn't come calling. 

Of course they will.  Every city will.  

The question is whether the league would be improved by adding any of these cities.  And while Portland is a no-brainer, it is highly doubtful that the answer would be “yes” for a city like Raleigh. 

13 hours ago, the admiral said:

I definitely agree that baseball has to get its existing house in order before it thinks about expansion (somehow we give the bumbling NHL a pass on this principle) by resolving the stadium issues and tanking issues (or in the case of Oakland, a stadium septic tank issue), but I think it's going to happen in the 2020s.

tenor.gif?itemid=4268618

BB52Big.jpg

13 hours ago, the admiral said:

I feel like there's a new MLS team every week; I think Bayern Waukesha is set to join in 2023.

Bayern Waukesha won't make it. Their stadium got denied so they will build near Oconomowoc instead.

It's where I sit.

5 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Bayern Waukesha won't make it. Their stadium got denied so they will build near Oconomowoc instead.

FiveO SC in the building....

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

16 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

So assuming MLB does go to North Carolina....why would you willingly choose Raleigh over Charlotte?

I think the only thing Raleigh has is a willingness to spend obscene amounts of money to build a stadium, even if it's in a desperate attempt to prove "No, we're a big league city too! Look, we can screw our own future for teams like the rest of 'em!"

the user formerly known as cdclt

2 hours ago, QueenCitySwarm said:

I think the only thing Raleigh has is a willingness to spend obscene amounts of money to build a stadium, even if it's in a desperate attempt to prove "No, we're a big league city too! Look, we can screw our own future for teams like the rest of 'em!"

And in such a scenario, the team would likely be called the Carolina Whatevers, right? Most people would still associate that with Charlotte. The same way they do the Glendale Coyotes with Phoenix.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

19 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

So assuming MLB does go to North Carolina....why would you willingly choose Raleigh over Charlotte?

Because Charlotte doesn't have a MLB-sized stadium and isn't getting one until 2035.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

21 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Then the Carolinas shouldn’t be in the MLB conversation until 2036.  Simple. 

Agreed.

I don't know how many times it needs to be said that Charlotte:

-just built a new MiLB stadium that is not expandable to MLB standards. No way, no how.

-given how difficult it was to get funding for the downtown basketball arena, it is extremely unlikely that $500 million (absolute bare minimum) of public funding will be approved for a baseball stadium.

If it happens in the next 15 years, it'll be privately funded. Good luck with that.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

12 hours ago, DG_Now said:

And in such a scenario, the team would likely be called the Carolina Whatevers, right? Most people would still associate that with Charlotte. The same way they do the Glendale Coyotes with Phoenix.

And the Hurricanes themselves - just a couple months back I had to tell someone, who lives in North Carolina, that the Hurricanes played in Raleigh, not Charlotte.

17 hours ago, DG_Now said:

Glendale is a suburb of Phoenix, though, while Raleigh is a three-hour drive from Charlotte.  It’s perfectly reasonable to associate the Coyotes with Phoenix.

Archived