Campaign to bring MLB to Raleigh, North Carolina

coco1997

16 hours ago, sc49erfan15 said:

Agreed.

I don't know how many times it needs to be said that Charlotte:

-just built a new MiLB stadium that is not expandable to MLB standards. No way, no how.

-given how difficult it was to get funding for the downtown basketball arena, it is extremely unlikely that $500 million (absolute bare minimum) of public funding will be approved for a baseball stadium.

If it happens in the next 15 years, it'll be privately funded. Good luck with that.

This probably doesn't bode well for MLB to Charlotte either: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/07/31/panthers-owner-wants-retractable-roof-stadium-in-next-10-years/

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/30/2019 at 5:51 PM, Wings said:

Eventually 1 billion will be the new bare minimum when it comes to stadium/arena construction. 

That's the price Henderson, Nevada was apparently willing to pay in order to lure the Arizona Diamondbacks to a proposed $1 billion, 32,000-seat, retractable-roof ballpark.

Henderson quietly tried to lure Arizona Diamondbacks to Southern Nevada

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, coco1997 said:

A week from tomorrow, twelve designers will be presenting their ideas and designs for a potential MLB team in Raleigh. If nothing else, it should at least give us something interesting  to discuss. 

Are they actually using Raleigh's area code as a cap logo? Would be funny if something like that was actually presented as the logo.

44 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

Are they actually using Raleigh's area code as a cap logo? Would be funny if something like that was actually presented as the logo.

That's just the logo the group that is trying to bring a team to Raleigh is using. 

• 2 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

This Instagram account has posted low quality photos of the twelve proposed Raleigh MLB identities from Friday’s Design Showcase. They’re split up over four posts:

https://instagram.com/markmclawhorn?igshid=1w77jypyoev9f

The Reapers, Oaks, Harmony and Captains are my favorites.

Captains is by far the best IMO. Best name and best looking identity. 

9 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Captains is the only one I find remotely acceptable. The rest range from bland to Brandiose garbage.

I think the Capitals would make for a believable MLB identity, although this particular design rips off the Tigers a bit too much. 

3 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Captains is the only one I find remotely acceptable. The rest range from bland to Brandiose garbage.

Is that the gray hat? If so, you're wrong. The Nobles logo is terrific. The name is dumb, but the logo is aces:

EDIT: Nvm. The Instagram @coco1997 linked to organized its pix in the worst way possible.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

All of these range from kinda bland to pure minor league garbage. Captains and Capitals are decent, Oaks is also fine, but none of them have a lasting quality to them. Nobles is actually a decent name for a team, even though it would fit better in Charlotte (just like the MLB).

the user formerly known as cdclt

Artistically, Nobles is far and away the leader, but ugh, this copy:

Based on the nobleman that our city is named after, the Raleigh Nobles represent the ideals of a modern-day nobility. Leaving behind concepts of high-born aristocracy, this team and their fan base would strive for higher virtues of goodness, honor, selflessness, and bravery, all accessible once you don the hat or wear the jersey.

You, too, can be virtuous, elite, and Good, and all you have to do is buy a product! I guess you can't spell neoliberal without noble.

EDIT: I called this "the far and away artistic leader" before I scrolled down and realized this USDA-certified farm-fresh dumbass put a baseball team in shorts and tights

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

19 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Artistically, Nobles is far and away the leader, but ugh, this copy:

You, too, can be virtuous, elite, and Good, and all you have to do is buy a product! I guess you can't spell neoliberal without noble.

EDIT: I called this "the far and away artistic leader" before I scrolled down and realized this USDA-certified farm-fresh dumbass put a baseball team in shorts and tights

spacer.png

Screen-Shot-2019-08-27-at-8.40.59-AM.png

These uniforms are so laughable that I'm going to tell the Pope that he can go fornicate with himself while I start my own church. I get that they didn't want to be a Royals clone, but this is beyond ridiculous. Couldn't you at least, oh I don't know, make purple the primary color? Purple is the color of royalty after all.

While a handful of these identities are solid, even the better ones leave you wondering if the artists understand even the most basic baseball uniform design conventions. The Capitals, for instance, have gray road *and* home sets. The Rally Caps design makes use of pinstriped sea foam green uniforms. The “Q” pairs a traditional gray road uniform with a solid yellow cap.🤢 Weird stuff.

Yeah, I've wanted to see some teams get a little experimental, but in design as in writing and composing, you have to know the rules before you can break them. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived