Nike City Edition Concepts (Now a series!!!) from Maverick Pistol.

MaverickPistol

spacer.png

Hey everybody, I'd love to get some feedback on this one.  This would be considered a "City Edition" NBA concept so that allows for some play outside of the traditional colors for the Knicks. I've always loved the Knicks secondary logo for a ton of reasons so I decided it base a jersey on it. 

Inspiration:

The “Empire City” concept jersey makes use of the “Subway Token Logo” secondary which debuted in 1996 and was designed by one of my favorite designers, Michael Doret.  

The letters “NYK” represent the city and the team’s nickname New York Knicks.  Michael's design drew its inspiration from the old MTA subway tokens and elements of it crept into early concepts of the Knicks’ primary logo.  The Knicks have been using as a secondary logo since 1995. It's graced equipment and merchandise since then, and was featured on the back of the uniform until recently. Michael's design drew its inspiration from the old MTA subway tokens and elements of it crept into early concepts of the Knicks’ primary logo.  There is awesome post with hand drawn concepts of some of Michael's potential knick logos here if you are interested. 

Jersey Design features:

-The lines across the chest extend to the sleeve holes to mimic the angles one would experience standing on a street corner in New York.

-The belt buckle graphic proudly features the NYC initials.

-A nod to New York’s famous nickname is printed above the jersey's jock tag.

-The shorts feature a cascading design inspired by the ceiling at Madison Square Garden, the iconic building in which the Knicks have played basketball with the initials MSG at the center.

Here is a link to the reference images I used for my design:

This is version one, if you have any other color requests please post em.  I've got a few more I'm working on if you guys are interested in seeing some more. I REALLY appreciate your thoughts, reactions and input.  Please don't hold back. Thank you so much!!!

spacer.png

Adding a Raptors concept:

Been super busy as of late with other projects but I finally got another concept fired off. 

I love the OG Cartoon Raps jersey but the casual fan might not rock the Dinosaur like a die hard as awesome as it is.  I came up with a mid-level OG throwbackish design that would appeal to both new/casual and older Raptors fans that featuring the Toronto skyline (I know, I know it's kinda my thing) over a maple leaf.  Let me know what you think!

Also in Black:

spacer.png

Yes!!! Nice one. Has the potential for a series? What’s the template that you use?

spacer.pngspacer.png

Im an isles,rangers,devils,Sabres,Yankees,Mets,Braves,hawks,knicks,nets,bills,giants,falcons,and jets fan. So?

3 hours ago, Blindsay said:

Yes!!! Nice one. Has the potential for a series? What’s the template that you use?

I purchased the base template from sportstemplates.net but I’m slowly tweaking it. I love the material textures, it can bring the right design to life but the template is expensive. Also it’s not based on the current Nike NBA jersey construction so I’m in the process of modifying the template towards the Nike version as I do more of these.

As much as I love the concept and presentation, the MSG thing at the bottom doesn't feel right, if that makes sense. The spokes feel a little bit out of place with the rest of the rather simple design. The waistband might seem a little more like a deisgn element instead of just a random design if the navy stripe either shrunk to the size of the other stipres used throughout the design, or the orange stripes were shurnk to the edges of the waistband and kept the stroke size of the other stripes on the uniform. Also, I wonder what the "street corners" would look like if they were at a 90 degree angle? I'm sure probably trash, but the more chevron-vibe right now doesn't say anything about street corners or anything particularly "New York" to me.

1 hour ago, Htown1141 said:

As much as I love the concept and presentation, the MSG thing at the bottom doesn't feel right, if that makes sense. The spokes feel a little bit out of place with the rest of the rather simple design. The waistband might seem a little more like a deisgn element instead of just a random design if the navy stripe either shrunk to the size of the other stipres used throughout the design, or the orange stripes were shurnk to the edges of the waistband and kept the stroke size of the other stripes on the uniform. Also, I wonder what the "street corners" would look like if they were at a 90 degree angle? I'm sure probably trash, but the more chevron-vibe right now doesn't say anything about street corners or anything particularly "New York" to me.

Appreciate the feedback! A few days after making this and letting it breathe I started thinking the same thing. It feels a little chunky on the belt. I was definitely trying for a Rucker Park pick-up game vibe a little too aggressively on the shorts! Great suggestions. I’ll try out the angles and see how it looks. I’ll post the updates after a few days. I have a couple more upcoming. I have uberdope Raptors jersey I’m excited about that’s getting close. I’ll probably create a series out of these if you guys are digging them. 

Your color choices look really sharp, and the overall design is clean and simple enough to look nice on the surface. As mentioned above, though, I'm not sure there's a coherent, City Edition-like theme here between the subway token logo, the street corner design, the MSG ceiling pattern, etc. Perhaps exploring a single one of those ideas in a bit more depth will create a more cohesive City Edition design. I'll definitely be looking forward to more!

2 hours ago, MJD7 said:

I love this design! Everything looks great, honestly no complaints from me. I can tell you put a lot of effort in paying attention to every detail, this is wonderful work!

I really appreciate you saying so. I'm super excited to hear that.  I was bugging all my Knick friends for a couple weeks!  They were like dude.......just post it. 

Your Knick friends are smart.  Listen to em more often.  I might have made the token slightly smaller, and the front number a bit larger, but overall, I like this.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Archived