Some Random MLB Concepts (Hand Drawn)(Rockies 12/2)

jn8

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Marlins action shots are absolutely astounding! You truly have a talent for art, as has been said before. The shading and incorporation of your uniform elements are both phenomenal. I’m not sure how I feel about the “arlins” contrasting in color with the “M” but otherwise the combos look great. The pink-heavy sets look surprisingly sweet.

The Padres set would definitely be an improvement. I do really love the updated bell cap, and the secondary logo is really nice.

Wonderful work, I’m excited to see more, however much you decide to do!

On 3/20/2019 at 5:22 PM, BellaSpurs said:

The only problem is that the Phillies own the bell so that alternate logo may not work  

Ah, sh!t... Yeah, that’s probably an issue. IDK, I like the bell alt, so I’ll keep it, but yeah, in real life there would probably be something done about it. Damn, I was so close 😂

On 3/22/2019 at 7:11 AM, shstpt1 said:

I like the both sets so far. I would like to see a Brown cap with yellow bill on it to be pared with the Road or Brown Alternate

Finally got around to the alt cap:

d4Xuv4y.jpg

I like it, but the bell front panel is iconic, so that would be my primary preference. The brown w/ yellow bill is something I could see being like a Friday alternate or something. 

Now, let’s get onto some new stuff. As has been stated in the title change, I’ve worked on some alternates for the Yankees and the Phillies. Disclaimer: these are not supposed to be “serious” or even something I’d like to see on field, both of them were simply done out of boredom completely for fun, so please keep that in mind. First up, a road alt for the Bronx Bombers:

hDWJbzF.jpg

Inspired by the prototype uniform from the 70s? 80s? IDK, my knowledge on that prototype isn’t vast. Anyway, I matched the pants to the jersey and gave them white belts, socks, and undershirts. I know it would never happen, but it’s just for fun. 

In case you thought that one was crazy, I went waaaay crazier with the Phillies. Y’all know Bryce Harper’s opening day cleats?

w06cvnV.jpg

So I was thinking, just for fun, what would an alternate based on those cleats (and obviously the Philly Phanatic) look like? Well:

S28uDZv.jpg

Again, THIS IS JUST FOR FUN. I AM NOT SAYING THIS WOULD ACTUALLY BE A GOOD IDEA. I JUST THOUGHT THIS WOULD BE FUN TO SEE WHAT IT WOULD LOOK LIKE. Now that that’s out of the way, some explanation of the design. The usual batting helmet and caps are pretty similar, with one very minor adjustment: the squatchee/button on the top is changed from blue to green. The jersey itself is the bright green of the Phanatic and uses the solo P on the front and the sleeve striping from the road jerseys. On the sleeve, instead of the number they have now, I put the Phanatic as a patch. Plain white pants instead of the pinstripes.

So what do you guys think? Keeping in mind the alts were just fun concepts, not super serious (as if I haven’t said that enough yet).

• 5 months later...

Resurrecting my MLB thread from the grave. 

I’ve had this much done since about May, but never got around to the player models, and as of now, those still aren’t done, but with all the talk going on about the Brewers, I figured now is probably a pretty good time to post this. In short, I’m not a fan of the Ball in Glove logo (not worth going into why, my opinion has been said already) and favor the current design over it because it actually ties into brewing, so here’s a set that tries to fix some flaws of the current brand.

First off, the logos:

iby3a09.jpg

Basically just a cleanup of what they have now, getting rid of the clutter of drop shadows and outlines (extremely similar to a post by @packerfan21396). In addition, beer barrel man is back, albeit with a slightly new look to match the new uniforms. The colors pull the navy from the current style and pair it with the athletic gold of the classic era. 

Uniforms:

vqy2cCR.jpg

Simple enough. I used the wheat as piping where applicable. Not visible, but the beer barrel man is a patch on the sleeves. Gold panel cap returns along with powder blue roads, as well as a gold alternate jersey. As you can(‘t) see, I am missing a number font for them. I’m not sure if I want to go with a traditional block font, or if something more along the lines of the scrips would work. I’ve considered the current font, sans drop-shadow, as well as the Ravens’ font, but I’m open to suggestions if someone has a better idea. 

Like I said, this has been sitting in my room forgotten about since May, so no player sketches yet. Just wanted to get what I had done out for feedback, so let me hear your thoughts! (no i will not try it with the BiG😂)

On 9/30/2019 at 8:00 PM, jn8 said:

Resurrecting my MLB thread from the grave. 

I’ve had this much done since about May, but never got around to the player models, and as of now, those still aren’t done, but with all the talk going on about the Brewers, I figured now is probably a pretty good time to post this. In short, I’m not a fan of the Ball in Glove logo (not worth going into why, my opinion has been said already) and favor the current design over it because it actually ties into brewing, so here’s a set that tries to fix some flaws of the current brand.

First off, the logos:

iby3a09.jpg

Basically just a cleanup of what they have now, getting rid of the clutter of drop shadows and outlines (extremely similar to a post by @packerfan21396). In addition, beer barrel man is back, albeit with a slightly new look to match the new uniforms. The colors pull the navy from the current style and pair it with the athletic gold of the classic era. 

Uniforms:

vqy2cCR.jpg

Simple enough. I used the wheat as piping where applicable. Not visible, but the beer barrel man is a patch on the sleeves. Gold panel cap returns along with powder blue roads, as well as a gold alternate jersey. As you can(‘t) see, I am missing a number font for them. I’m not sure if I want to go with a traditional block font, or if something more along the lines of the scrips would work. I’ve considered the current font, sans drop-shadow, as well as the Ravens’ font, but I’m open to suggestions if someone has a better idea. 

Like I said, this has been sitting in my room forgotten about since May, so no player sketches yet. Just wanted to get what I had done out for feedback, so let me hear your thoughts! (no i will not try it with the BiG😂)

It's good for what it is. I would just use the leafy part in the piping though.  The fact that you have the full leaf on the front is a good enough indication of what the piping is a reference to.  Making it a literal, full barley stalk on every part of the uniform feels a bit like overkill.

And while this is one of the better uses I've seen of the current branding, I want to challenge those who prefer it because "Brewing!" to come up with something more original pertaining to brewing.  Even the big macro breweries have since moved on from their early 2000s branding sensibilities.

• 3 weeks later...

So I threw something together for the Nationals real quick, basing a redesign on their script from the blue alts they’ve be wearing. Not really major changes, just tweaking things a bit. 

Colors:

I emphasized red over blue both at home and on the road because of the 13 teams that wear blue and red, 10 put blue first. 

Caps/Helmets:

Three hats, two helmets. The first cap is red with a white front panel and a blue bill, the second is red with a blue bill, and the third is the reverse of the last. The helmets match the second two caps. Curly W on them all. 

Jerseys:

Four jerseys, white, gray, red, and blue. All have double piping on the sleeves. Red scripts on both home and roads, white on the two alts. White and red say “Nationals” while the gray and blue say “Washington.”

Rules/Combinations:

The white-panel cap is the home day game cap and the blue cap is worn with the blue jerseys and on the road against other red capped teams (example: at Philadelphia = Blue caps, at Colorado = Red caps). Any other game, home night games or road games where the opponents are wearing and non-red caps the red caps are worn. Alternate jerseys are worn on Fridays, red at home and blue on the road. 

But this is useless without pictures, so I guess I might as well post something showing what all that nonsense above means:

gN2XSXp.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/23/2019 at 7:21 PM, BellaSpurs said:

Absolutely gorgeous! That’s about all I can say, it looks great.

On 11/3/2019 at 11:49 AM, Ethan Black said:

you are SUPER talented. love this thread

On 11/3/2019 at 5:43 PM, Clintau24 said:

This is incredible - great work so far! Just like your NFL thread, your presentation and on-player models are superb. 

On 11/3/2019 at 6:03 PM, TheRoman said:

not only are these concepts great, your drawing skills are fantastic, it really gives the concepts a dynamic quality and makes them easier to envision 

Damn, I haven’t checked in this thread in a while, really appreciate the compliments!

On 10/23/2019 at 10:29 PM, coco1997 said:

The white front paneled home cap is a nice nod to the Expos.

On 11/3/2019 at 6:51 PM, Tygers09 said:

One thing that was making wonder with the Nat's uniforms is why that they didn't continue wearing the pinwheel hats? I mean the owner still has the rights to the Expos uniforms right?

The white panel was definitely intended to be a nod to the Expos. It seems like a simple way to reference their history without going overboard. 

Moving on though...

So I was cleaning my room and was about to put some notebooks away and got a little distracted. Now I have this slightly out-of-the-box Astros rough draft and a pile of unfolded laundry on my bed. 

HUOrded.jpg

Zh3IPAk.jpg

So the first image is the sleeve of a player, the tequila sunrise pattern goes up the shoulder with a star at the bottom. The whole thing has a blue boarder. 

The second set of sketches has two options for an orange alternate jersey, one follows the regular tequila sunrise pattern like in the top picture, the other uses a recolored blue version of the pattern. On the right is a potential wordmark. 

So my questions:

1. Does the application of the tequila sunrise pattern work?

2. If the pattern works, should it keep the star in it?

3. Again, if the pattern works, which style should the orange jersey use?

4. Thoughts on the wordmark? Does the shooting star work?

5. If the wordmark works, should the number in the star stay, or should I lose the number?

6. Is there anything that wasn’t asked above but you would like to comment on?

And just a heads up, while I’d like to get to work on this as soon as I get your feedback, I probably won’t be able to. I have a major test coming up (if I pass I can start substitute teaching as soon as next semester, so it’s kinda important) and my focus will be more on that for the next couple days. 

Archived